The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How does this site look to you?

Brett877

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 9, 2014
Missouri
I would like some feedback on my website that I created, what are your thoughts when you navigate it, read the articles, etc. I am going to be adding a store and starting to push the store/site through Article SEO and google/facebook ads.

I would like to know your impressions on it, I'm leaving this a little vague and not asking for specific areas because I want to know what the person sees or thinks when the first visit the site.

http://developfutureideas.com/

Thank you!

Look forward to hearing the thoughts (already have my big boy won't get butt hurt hat on LOL)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

M&A

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jan 13, 2015
Paris
Looks very professional well done.

Just get rid of the bit in the footer "Zerif Lite powered by Wordpress"

Bit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 2, 2015
Boston, MA
I've used that same template before. Buy the pro version, it's only $34. I love the responsive parrallax themes, those are so fresh.

Get rid fot he 81. 90, 100, colors, make those zero. The color's will go away and it'll make it look a little more cleaner.

finances5

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 20, 2010
The site looks very good. It also looks very professional and functional with everything in working order and all.

The only thing is that I was into the site for few minutes before I began to wonder what was the name of the business? Is it "United Developments"? If that's the case, then I'm not sure where the domain name came from?

Otherwise, it's keep up the good work!

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Looks pretty bad to be honest.

- I have no idea what your site does. "Start Developing Your Future Now"?? Change your CTA.

- Logo is ugly. I would change the color.

- Header - Ugly header - is this a service business? You might want to put your phone number in the header.

- Services section - Decent, but could be better. Images are too "stock" and text is way too small. I didn't even bother reading.

- About section makes my head spin. Remove the 3 column layout and simplify it.

- I would remove the circles with numbers. I hate when I see this stuff on sites. It's like saying, Hey I'm only 88% good at idea consulting, still want to buy? No. Just remove it.

- Footer - It's okay. I would add links. Remove the powered by word press link again

Brett877

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 9, 2014
Missouri
I've used that same template before. Buy the pro version, it's only $34. I love the responsive parrallax themes, those are so fresh.

Get rid fot he 81. 90, 100, colors, make those zero. The color's will go away and it'll make it look a little more cleaner.

Good Suggestion I do like it better!

Brett877

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 9, 2014
Missouri
Something I have been struggling with is the online store, should I keep the same general theme or should I change it up? It will be something like Store.developfutureideas.com The products are going to be Computer Parts, Electronic Parts, Coding Scripts and Plugins and various Geek Products, I do a lot of Electronic recycling and 90% of the stuff can be reused so I strip it down to its components test it and if its good re-sell it. Not bad as I get the stuff for free most of the time, and the other stuff I take to a scrap buyer. I'm contemplating on how I need to integrate that into this site or if I should just get a new domain and cross-link, Promote feature products with articles or something of the nature. Suggestions?

sintzu

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
It's a decent start but I would say that content can be improved. The test that I use is that your visitor should know in the first 3 seconds what your business is about. "Start Developing Your Future Now"? Doesn't really tell me anything about your business. I don't know if you're a career service, astrologer, career coach, IT firm etc... More focus would definitely be better.

One thing I've heard from many successful copywriters is that you need to make you content easy to digest and quick to understand. Another example, http://screencast.com/t/uOt9HBUElSas "Our thoughts a reality, Our work a legacy"? No clue what that means.

You have the foundation of a good design but content focus definitely needs some work. I would begin by making your customer avatar (basically a profile of who you ideal customer or visitor is) and then think about the words that they will engage with and what they're looking for. Then redo the content based on that.

Another thing is I see your logo with the two lions and a U inside, but I have no clue what your company name is. It's not in your logo. It's not in your domain name, unless it's "develop future ideas", which doesn't really seem like your business name since there's a "U" in your logo.

Trust enhancers (logos of associations you're part of) and client testimonials go a long way too.

Just some thoughts. But keep improving and you'll get there.

Brett877

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 9, 2014
Missouri
I would begin by making your customer avatar (basically a profile of who you ideal customer or visitor is) and then think about the words that they will engage with and what they're looking for. Then redo the content based on that.

Good thought! Content Creation has never been a strong point so I will have to put some thought into that.

SlowlaneJay

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 25, 2014
Bogotá, Colombia
Lots of issues here. Still got that big boy hat on?

First up, your CTA "contact" is hidden. It's damned hard to figure out what you want me to do. Should I click services? Plugins? Where do you want me to click?

I'd suggest making it painfully obvious. Try changing the formatting of your links in the header so that CONTACT jumps out at you.
R4JcGIX.png

Your USP needs serious work too. "Start developing your future now"? Are you a life coach? A money mentor? Are you going to help me start a new career?

It doesn't make any sense.

From what I understand you build stuff. You can do design and programming. So state that clearly! Also, add a CTA button that takes you to a contact form instead of the plugins/services thing. If you want you can keep a "Learn More" button that takes you to the services page instead.
Q17DyjD.png

Speaking of the services page, the copy could use serious work. But more than anything, you desperately need to bring attention to the Contact link. You have a contact box all the way at the bottom of the page. I'd suggest redoing this so you have an irresistible opt-in to capture emails.
nUnPdtD.jpg

Speaking of contact, your contact page isn't really doing anything special. It's basically just a form. Since you aren't using it to speak to your customer, why not get rid of it entirely? Instead, use a lightbox contact form that pops over content. These have been proven to increase conversion rates.
vjxtxPF.png

Anyway, that's just my first impression. I applaud your initiative, but you still have a long way to go. I'd suggest looking at other websites and figuring out what makes them work.

Good luck!

Last edited:

SmilingFrog

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Sep 23, 2015
Since we are being 100% honest here, the website looks ok imo.
A few suggestions:
- Change your logo, it looks something a clothing/wine or champagne company would use.
- Why is the background of "what can we help you develop" a PCB if you do not do any sort of circuit design
- There needs to be a stronger presence of branding - eg. the colour scheme seems to be all over the place, and the logo/motto could be utilised in more places

carswest

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 28, 2015
Los Angeles suburbs
5 five cents here: if you are offering website development and design services while yourself using wordpress with template it turns me OFF right away. Why can't you guys design your own website on your own platform using symphony 2 or your choice of framework?

Thenn

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Sep 16, 2015
The site is not displaying properly in mobile (iPhone 6). A lot of users are browsing through mobile nowdays so you might want to consider to fix that ;)

shosho4real

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 7, 2015
Nice job. Make the fonts bolderit bolder

Sent from my Fire_Plus_3G using Tapatalk

antro

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Dec 3, 2015
Germany
Although you asked for website feedback specifically, I'm gonna give feedback for your business additionally.
You already have a huge amount of valuable feedback and advice in this thread that people spent time and thought on to help you.

Now I suggest you pick one thing off this thread and implement it, to show consideration for everyone pouring in and helping you.
A good starting place would be this (I wondered that myself in the first 5 seconds on your page):
The only thing is that I was into the site for few minutes before I began to wonder what was the name of the business? Is it "United Developments"? If that's the case, then I'm not sure where the domain name came from?

Now technically, this would be a minor technical fix that requires 1 minute of your time implementing it.
From my personal perception and also consolidating large parts of this thread, it comes down to this:

What are you trying to do, really?

If you can figure out the answer, it will magically solve lots of related problems (where do you want the user to click, why is the background looking like curcuit board, etc.).

Consider this your "kick in the a$$, get stuff done".
I want to see you doing it, I promise it will bring you closer to where you are headed.

Find your focus.
Then execute.

Bit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 2, 2015
Boston, MA
I agree with choosing a color theme, choosing the color theme is crucial to your 'brand' and image. We decided to go with Blue and White with black as that gave it a more 'techy' feel to it and made it all organized.

https://blog.kissmetrics.com/psychology-of-color-and-conversions/

https://www.google.com/#q=WEbsite Color Kissmetrics

Color is very crucial, and if you have too much going on, it detracts attention.

For example, look at Medium.com its 80% whitespace, but it plays into it's design of simplistic media stories with banners and black/gray text.

I'm no web designer by any means, but the above replies are spot on (I even learned a few more things), atleast for building a website that makes sense and is 'fluid'.

I didnt like your 'services' page, I feel that can be listed as 'packages' with the proper plugin / color scheme. (Here's a pic of another website that uses packages instead of listing services. You can always create 'unlisted' pages with the services content that goes more into what the service is or does or why it's beneficial.... Or keep it all on one continuous page)

upload_2015-12-7_9-54-11.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Brett877

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 9, 2014
Missouri
I am really digging everyone's suggestions and thoughts. I have a lot of things to consider and work to improve, I want this site to be a page where clients can go and feel more comfortable working with the products and services.

Thank you guys greatly, Always love listening to what this forum has to say.

After reading through these replies and getting further into a book I bought "DotCom Secrets", I realize I took the wrong step first. I didn't really sit down and think who is this for, what do I want from them and what can i "bait" them with...

What is everyone's opinion about an online store, should I attach it to this site or should I make it seem more independent from this site?

Bit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 2, 2015
Boston, MA
I am really digging everyone's suggestions and thoughts. I have a lot of things to consider and work to improve, I want this site to be a page where clients can go and feel more comfortable working with the products and services.

Thank you guys greatly, Always love listening to what this forum has to say.

After reading through these replies and getting further into a book I bought "DotCom Secrets", I realize I took the wrong step first. I didn't really sit down and think who is this for, what do I want from them and what can i "bait" them with...

What is everyone's opinion about an online store, should I attach it to this site or should I make it seem more independent from this site?

From a glance at your site, I figured you'd be more of a 'consultant' or web design shop. I don't see the need for a store... Just my two cents though. Again, you answered your own question in your statement.

"I didnt really sit down and think who is this for"

You need to answer that first before thinking about an e-commerce store. Once you answer that, and how to solve it, how will you deliver it to them should be the next phase.

oimate

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 8, 2015
Without wanting to hijack this thread- i was wondering are there any wordpress experts here? I am looking to create a website with an interactive calender so users can post events that are occuring in the local area-To do this i'd like an interactive map so ppl can click into their own county and see whats happening locally.

Any ideas welcomed

Bit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 2, 2015
Boston, MA
Without wanting to hijack this thread- i was wondering are there any wordpress experts here? I am looking to create a website with an interactive calender so users can post events that are occuring in the local area-To do this i'd like an interactive map so ppl can click into their own county and see whats happening locally.

Any ideas welcomed

Not being a jerk, but you did this twice. Once on this thread, and on this thread below:

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/creating-a-content-based-website.61193/unread

You can probably just create a thread for your question...

or

I recommend you put an ad on Craigslist to find a wordpress guy, I'm sure you'd get some replies. Sounds like you are trying to do a meetup.com type of website.

You'd need a website developer for this I feel, I have never come across a plugin that does exactly that. Here is a quick Google Search:

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...TF-8#q=wordpress plugins interactive calendar

Hope you find what you need!

Last edited by a moderator:

antro

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Dec 3, 2015
Germany
Without wanting to hijack this thread [...]
Well, you just did ;-)

Anyways, you might want to read up on what Pat Flynn has to offer regarding clickable maps.
You don't need to focus on fancy Wordpress plugins necessarily (which can be a procrastination trap), maybe this material will already be helpful to you.

@Brett877 I'd really love to see you sitting down and sharing results next week.

L D

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 7, 2015
I would like some feedback on my website that I created, what are your thoughts when you navigate it, read the articles, etc. I am going to be adding a store and starting to push the store/site through Article SEO and google/facebook ads.

I would like to know your impressions on it, I'm leaving this a little vague and not asking for specific areas because I want to know what the person sees or thinks when the first visit the site.

http://developfutureideas.com/

Thank you!

Look forward to hearing the thoughts (already have my big boy won't get butt hurt hat on LOL)

I think there is a lot of really great information on your site - I also like the idea of basically middle-manning contracted development. Think there potentially could be a big untapped market there to help people who aren't tech saavy utilize cheaper labour to get web apps built.

My only suggestion at this point as I've only spent a few minutes going through it is the layout of your Articles section. Which is essentially a blog, I'd create some spacing and maybe preview each post and have the user click through to read the post in full. It helps a visitor quickly see all of the topics and choose which one is appropriate or relevant to them. (Looks like you are using Wordpress as your CMS of choice, there is some out of box functionality to display previews in a blog-roll).

Cool stuff!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.