The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Houston we have a problem...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So several months ago I was approached by a guy who wanted to be mentored in the business of self-publishing. He wanted to write his own book and create his own "Fastlane" via authorship. So I agreed as this guy seemed pretty cool.

Over the course of the next few months, I told this guy all the ins-and-outs of the self-publishing business and how it is different from print-on-demand (CreateSpace, Lulu, iUnverse,etc.) and how it is also different from getting signed from a publishing house, which is the old school way.

I told this guy my "secrets" for creating a great little publishing business, from merchant accounts, to store creation, to distribution channel secrets that took me years to learn.

I even told this guy who my trusted printer was so he could get the great pricing on his book, and done in a quality fashion. All of this allowed him to create the backbone for a nice business which will give him the chance to maximize his margins, and yes, possibly create him his Fastlane.

So after months of mentorship this guy disappears.

When he finally resurfaces, he tells me that he's finally finished his book and he wants to get feedback from me.

He sends me a link to the Amazon listing.

It's a book about finance and entrepreneurship.

It's title?

The Billionaire Fastlane.

Now after this discovery, I'm livid.

And you should be too.

If you're not incensed at this type of betrayal, please do me a favor and LEAVE THIS FORUM AND NEVER RETURN.

We don't want you here.

The Fastlane Forum isn't just about business and entrepreneurship, its also about MORALS, ETHICS and INTEGRITY.

Apparently some people have taken the liberty with the phrase that "Ideas are worthless, but execution is everything."

Yes, that's true -- but it doesn't give you a license to COPY someone else's ideas, someone else's work, someone else's niche, and someone else's secrets and use that help AGAINST THEM, to their detriment.

Get this in your F*ckING HEAD: The advice that is given on this forum from our most prized contributors is given with the assumption that you will use it in your own NEW venture, started 100% from scratch, and NOT in direct competition of the person who gave you that advice.

Visiting the contributor's website and COPYING his images and text is BULLSHIT.
Using your "mentor's" advice to directly compete with your "mentor" is BULLSHIT.
Calling your "mentor's" suppliers and buying shit that your mentor sells, is BULLSHIT.

While my above story with respect to self-publishing isn't true, its happened on multiple occasions, the most recent HERE, where someone thought it was OK to take advice from a forum member to the detriment of his own business.

And on another occasion, one user thought it was OK to literally copy a site with the same structure and images, and play it off as his own. This guy was so F*cking lazy that he didn't even bother to change the links to the stolen site. If you clicked the "Talk to me" button, it linked to the stolen website.

If you think this type of behavior is OK, get F*cking lost. While these actions might not be illegal, its a gross violation of ethics, integrity, and of the Fastlane code. It doesn't make you a "Fastlaner", it makes you a F*cking lazy poser and a F*cking money chasing Sidewalker.

And to make matters worse, these people, when called-out, justify their actions.

"I have two kids to take care of"

Cry me a F*cking river you whiny bastard.

I'm not sure what pisses me off more, the fact that you think its OK to steal text, graphics, and someone's niche, or the fact that you have TWO KIDS who will surely be taught the same piss-poor morals and integrity that you have.

This behavior has already had serious repercussions here at the Forum.

Vigilante's great educative thread "Passive Income Deposits" which boasts over 60,000 views and has birthed many new ventures, has been removed from the public forum and placed on the INSIDE.

Other great threads of value are sure to follow.

Some of our most valued contributors, NO LONGER want to contribute, at least publicly where the TAKERS (and thieves) outnumber the GIVERS.

So with that said, and as the title states, HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM.

As for the solution, I'm not quite sure what that is yet ... and I'm sure whatever it is, people won't like it. I've already lofted the idea of shutting this place down. My time is valuable as are the people who make efforts to contribute here. As with life and in society in general, this is a great example on how the idiots that make-up 1% of the world ruin it for the responsible 99%.

When the "quality threads" start to disappear (either deleted or moved to the inside) don't blame me, blame the lazy savages who troll these forums looking to steal other people's hard work.

Oh MJ said ideas are worthless! Why does it matter?
I have two kids!
I haven't sold any copies of The Billionaire Fastlane yet, why care?

Enjoy the forum while you have it as it's future existence and operational style is now considered undetermined.

To end this, let me apologize for the vile language. This topic is very sensitive to me and boils my passions.
I've had these kinds of thefts happen to me on several occasions -- my anger isn't the idea of facing a new competitor, its the idea that someone stole my own hard work and ingenuity and used it against me. Then gas is thrown onto the rage when the person justifies their actions with some lame a$$ excuse or proverb.

I'd rather have a small forum of 1000 great individuals, rather than a large forum teeming with thieves.

Thanks for reading.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:
D

DeletedUser2

While my above story with respect to self-publishing isn't true, its happened on multiple occasions, the most recent HERE, where someone thought it was OK to take advice from a forum member to the detriment of his own business.

guys, not a true story

A GREAT metaphor for what just happened on the other thread he mentioned.

If MJ shuts this forum down, I will be sad, BUT I WILL UNDERSTAND!

if MJ says its 1K a year to be an INSIDERS,

I WOULD PAY IT GLADLY to have super high quality guys,

Guys I can trust.
Guys I can work with JV with, or HELP OUT.

GUYS who are willing to put their money where their mouth is, and realize getting banned from THAT kind of forum, is a life altering, opportunity sucking event.

While the masses will always team with idiots.

Those that Can, Do, and we find each other, and we take it to another level.

Years ago I didn't understand why there were private clubs
NOW I DO.

another B&P type event has been organized recently called Capitalism and Bacon. (it sold out in under an Hr) and that's what this forum may have to do. sub groups meeting FACE to FACE to get the value, and reduce the noise from teh masses. sad but could become a new model....

I like the forum, But, I understand the cycle of life, and all good things may have to go home to die...

Z

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
The problem with this is new members, you need new members to sustain active growth. No one will just come over and pay to get in. Think about some of the recent guys that signed on and rocketed in speed like Million$$$smile, that wouldnt happen if it was paid only. I wouldn't pay either (which is why no INSIDERS) since i feel forums should be open access. I won't pay to waste time reading things, it has nothing to do with the cost.

Chris, I understand your view, I really do. However, I don't understand the thinking that you "won't pay to waste time reading things". Are you wasting time here? I guess that statement confuses me a bit because I gladly pay to not waste time. The content on the Inside has much less noise therefore I waste less time there.

Ultimately there's no easy answer to this. I hope MJ doesn't shut down the site. Here's the thing, TMF led me to this forum, this forum led to some some incredibly generous and illuminating threads which led me to the INSIDERS which led me to B&P which led me to developing some great relationships. The book, this forum and B&P has changed my life and my understanding of business. I'm eternally thankful for people like MJ, Bio, Vig, Lighthouse, Zen, Andres, Runum, snowbank, Eskil, DavidofMN, Russ, ATW, GlobalWealth, BeingChewsie, Jill and many, many, many more.

I think there are options like an invite only section where it could still be free but one is only invited once they have "proven" themselves. And I'm not talking about number of posts or a certain speed.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
What happened is being overblown a little, IHMO. Yes, I don't like the copying of website content, that's completely lame. But in the real world people take good ideas and copy them and even improve on them, sometimes to the point of running the pioneer out of business. Employees learn a business from their employer and then go out and start a competitive company. It's just the business world, it isn't for the weak of heart...it happens all the time in one form or another.

I think the only thing that needs to change is that those of us that have information to share about our businesses need to play it a little closer to the vest. And if we choose to share details then we need to expect the possibility of someone taking a shortcut and copying our hard work.

My .02

I understand your take on this, but there is a lot of info you are not addressing.

1)The founder of this forum has had his code copied and used against him several times. Using his own intellectual knowledge to try to attack him.

2)Just two weeks ago we had a member steal another person's(non fastaner) golf website and post it up as his own. When he was caught he continually denied it and then attacked MJ about it. There is no self sense of the wrong he did.

3)This latest episode was triggered because the thief asked Kenric(biophase) to help him build his business. Kenric helped him with contacts and strategy. The thief stole some of Kenric's code and then began posting up the same products for sale as Kenric When the thief was called on it he began defending and justifying his actions. He did eventually apologize and has changed his website several times recently. He has been removed from the forum.

Vig has said it best. This is symptomatic of a huge societal problem, someone can steal your stuff because they feel entitled, and then try to kill your business with your own knowledge. Some of my tenants have the attitude that if something is not being actively used or is not bolted down it must be claimed as theirs, just because it is there. I believe if it's not yours, leave it alone. I thought these were lessons taught in kindergarten?

As a result of these actions, a lot of content has been moved to the inside. Also, there are a few proposals on the table about the direction and form of the forum.

No over reaction here. Measured, appropriate action.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
I got this PM the other day from a guy who has been on the forum for just a few weeks. Just par for the course.

Basically I want to get into the same business. Can you tell me what it's about? I know you've said that there are already people doing it on this forum, and that you are not reinventing the wheel but I just can't tell what you are doing and I really really want to know.

Please don't flame me or start thinking of me as an idiot for wanting the easy way. I am interested in the idea, because maybe I can make it better or find a twitch.

I told him I made/imported and sold wood arrows and we wholesale them to archery stores. He never PMed me back thanking me for telling him.

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
MJ,

I can honestly say that this place is my second home (be it virtual or not).

I have made great friendships and memories with a lot of people on this forum.

Even with these recent incidents, there is no place like this on the web (and I am part of various communities).

There is probably no greater demonstration of high value when someone tells me they are part of the Fastlane (or read the book). It's a secret code that I feel is mutual and unsaid about this place.

That being said,

I feel that if barriers to entry where in place, then the committed would get to the golden information and gain the communities trust.

For Example:

Say I join the forum, let's say I need to hit 70 kph + 100 posts minimum to access the [Speedway].

Now to gain access to the [Speedway], they should also pay a very small fee. This confirms their commitment. (it's like when you join the army, at first you have to dig trenches and then you move up).

Now, let's say to get into the INSIDERS section, you need to have 90kph and the INSIDERS have to vote you in. So you apply and then all the other INSIDERS vote you in.

- the model doesn't have to be the exact measurements I laid out, as I was just making a point.

But what it would do, is encourage the new members to post quality info and earn the trust. (In fact I never even wanted to join the INSIDERS until I earned my speedway status).

Side note: At B & P Lighthouse told me that he only does business with people he meets face-to-face. I didn't really understand why as I deal with a lot of people I meet online, but now I can see why he might be inclined to do so.

So what do you guy's think?

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
But in the real world people take good ideas and copy them and even improve on them, sometimes to the point of running the pioneer out of business.

There is a big difference between someone taking an already existing idea to improve it and someone STEALING and BETRAYING. A Honda Civic and a Toyota Corolla are both sedans/vehicles(idea) but are they the same product? Nope they have a completely different blueprint(different design, engine parts etc).

Me taking MJDemarcos book and script and rewriting it, taking out words, adding a few sentences here and there and paraphrasing and calling it the Billionaire Fastlane is STILL STEALING.

Take FedEx and UPS. They are both Shipping companies. But you will be shocked at just how different they operate and function as a business internally.

These are all like TRADE SECRETS that these Entrepreneurs on here took YEARS yes YEARS to develop and learn. They share their knowledge and experience with the intention to help you create your OWN brand, product, etc.

Lets say you owned the Coca Cola Beverage company. You mentored me and taught me everything you know. Told me all the suppliers info, processes, procedures etc etc. How to make a good formula. etc

Then one day you see a can of soda called Koca Kola sitting next to your can of Coke on the store shelf. And it tastes almost exactly the same as yours plus or minus a few minor differences. Thats bullshit.

Yes true, life is mean and messed up in a lot of different ways but it violates a code of trust that molds relationships, even customer relationships. And when its violated, it sends shock waves of failure.

Its called VALUES. Its being grateful to your mentor and respecting their interests because they cared about yours.

If you think there are no VALUES or ETHICS in business and its "just the business world and not for the weak of heart" then you are wrong. Because the majority of business involves respecting OTHERS interests: customers, partners, stakeholders, investors etc.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
These dirt bags violate the number one law of the Universe: for every action there is an equal but opposite reaction.

What do you notice about anyone who is successful? They love GIVING VALUE. Whether its in the form of a product or service or in the form of ADVICE OR MENTORING. And what happens when you give? Thats right all of a sudden you attract money, you attract people, you attract sales etc. You put electrons and protons together into harmony.

What do you notice about anyone who is an epic fail? They love TAKING VALUE. They are a cancerous, parasitic piece of shit to the universe sucking everything up. Stealing, lying, manipulating, money chasing etc. The inevitable result is failed relationships, failed businesses, failed life etc. You repel the entire Universe by trying to F*cken scam it. You slam electrons into electrons polarizing repelling each other like water and oil.

You see when you breathe air in to take in oxygen from the external air you didn't get that for nothing. You exhaled carbon dioxide first. You gave something. You gave value. This is a paramount law of nature that has universal governance.

Seriously what kind of bastard screws someone who took their TIME to respond to emails and share VALUABLE KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE that took years to learn and obtain. Seriously this is like someone giving them a glass of lemonade on a hot day and then them turning around and throwing Hydrofluoric Acid in their face.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Some of you have missed the critical details. Re-read the post more closely and absorb the message.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
Honestly this does not surprise me at all. This is just pure laziness. And it's what a large percentage of today's population is about. Instant gratification without paying your dues and putting the minimum amount of effort but expecting a return of gold and diamonds.

Everyone wants to get rich overnight. And that's why the question "What did you do to get rich?" exists. Most people want an answer that is "I pressed this shiny button and overnight I was a millionaire." The answer is usually the complete opposite and requires a shit ton of risk, long days and nights of hard and smart work and sacrifices. The reality check ensues and most people give up and complain. Tough shit. Nothing was built overnight and nothing was created without work.

If someone is willing to help you and mentor you so that you can be successful and then you go and try to compete with them without their permission or knowledge, they will shut you down.

There is a saying "There are 2 rules for success in life...

1. Never tell people everything that you know

"

If you want to get rich, and your just sitting around waiting for something or will directly copy someone else's business.. guess what.. you will be in same spot sitting around for years wondering WTF happened.

Ghost

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 4, 2009
Sorry for bumping this thread if it's breaking forum etiquette. I haven't been here for a long time, and haven't probably logged into this site for three or more years. I came back to this site because I'm starting a new venture, and I was looking through Biophase's posts because I remembered when I first went to start my first venture ever (an ecommerce store) his posts were helpful and extremely detailed, especially when compared with other internet marketing forums where everyone zealously guards their niches/keywords/practically everything.

Anyway, I was reading through and I ended up in the thread which inspired this topic. And to be honest, the thread nearly brought me to tears. Like I said, I have a new venture in the pipeline - and the thing that stresses me out most is that I spend so much time hopping from place to place; funding meeting here, supplier meeting there, days spent working out how many customers I can get, ringing around accountants and IP specialists. I live in the middle of nowhere, and nobody around me is wired for entrepreneurship. My point is that ultimately, people who have trodden the road and can help guide a start-up through all these things and point out the things that you wouldn't even think of thinking of, are invaluable.

Sometimes I wonder to myself why people are so reluctant to help new business - after all, it's win-win for everyone if we all get to add to the economy? And this topic (and the one it is based on) is the answer to my question. Because some people are thieves, and lending a helping hand might mean you lose a finger.

As far as, "It's only competition, so whilst it is wrong, it isn't too wrong" as an argument goes, I wonder if it's possible to count the economic cost of actions like the above: Imagine if the mentor-student relationship had have been fostered properly how much money the "student" might have made - and how much the mentor might have made from that new relationship, and how much the two of them might have spent on pizza, champagne and private yachts (and the crews, and how much champagne the crew might have drunk to celebrate their new jobs, and how the pizza boy could have used the tip to buy a domain name and start his own company.)

Ergh. Once again, sorry for the bump but I really needed to vent.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I also missed about the story not being true.

.................Like my post if you searched for it on amazon....

No really don't, I'd like to think you are more intelligent than I am!

hotshot

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 24, 2012
Ontario
When I see “INSIDERS” who signed up 6 months ago who only have like 5-10 posts it kind of freaks me out. I understand that MJ is getting paid by all of this, but I don’t like the idea of people who just take from this forum with no intention of ever giving back.

Hmm.. guilty as charged. I am this guy. My goal was to get some sort of fastlane plan going before becoming active here, because we've all seen the action fakers who try to validate idea after idea but never get anywhere. As a result I'm suffering from analysis paralysis, and never really gain any traction on anything. Not to mention my environment is not ideal. I'm taking action to change that within the next week though. I'll write a blog post about that, it's the least I can do.

It really blows that one person can ruin it for the rest of us. This community, although you guys don't really have a clue who I am, has seriously changed my life for the better. I've learned so much from people like Biophase, Snowbank, Vigilante, Renum, zen*******, Being Chewsie... I can't thank you guys enough.

I would understand if MJ chooses to close down the forum. But I'd much rather we vote the INSIDERS in, along with a paid subscription. Even though that would most likely disqualify me from the INSIDERS section.. that would surely light a fire under my a$$ so to speak...

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Jeez, I don't check in here for some time and all kinds of shit start hitting all kinds of fans.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Was it really that hard to augment the pie, and make it more interesting, offering help, provide more venues for your mentor to make more money?

Example...

"Hey, biophase, you have given me amazing value and I have learned a lot. What do you think of me opening a store in your same niche and I will try my best to sell your products, and you can drop-ship for my stores while I am learning?"

It was simple. Logical.

Now, biophase may have said "No, thanks, find your own niche" and he may have even helped him to identify and validate a niche or two. Or he may have said "Gee, would you help me make more sales and at the same time keep learning? Awesome!"

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
copied from register form
''This is a PRIVATE forum with open access. All registrations must be reviewed and approved. In 1 or 2 sentences, please tell us why you have to decided to join our community.''

This is the form when you register for fast lane forum. I suggest requiring more than a few sentences.
If you want high quality posts, you want someone who understands how to speak words. Ask the registers to provide a article instead. Something that has meaning, a story on WHY they want to register, what they expect to find, and contribute. How they found the fast-lane forums. Have they read the book?
What have they done with their life? List a sale you made, or something you built. How have you failed/succeeded?
Those who are there to get free money and act like general shitbags will post slowlane propaganda about making it rich and wanting the bling boy life
Those get deleted.

Tier 1
Accepted registrants get moved to a sub-forum where its them, and a mod. let all the new registrants sit here for a day, see how they respond. If there's not enough registrants let them into the forum, assign them a badge marking them as new. Guaranteed, those without worth will complain about it. Ban or approve as necessary.

Tier 2
After awhile of checking post quality, and speed points remove the badge. Treat as a forum member. Simply use the rep bank for moderation.

Tier 3
Only allow people who have hit this mark to access the inside.

just my $0.02
Lol. You must have cojones of steel for posting this after also posting the most ridiculous thread in recent forum history here: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/who-made-money-now.62855/

Last edited by a moderator:

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
I think just making this a paid only club.....even if its just 5 bucks a month will weed out a lot of the vermin. This is the same problem with Craigslist. As soon as they start charging a small fee to post in the jobs section, the little scammer F*cksticks disappear. MJ, I say make it paid only.....and feel free to bump it up to 10 bucks....20 bucks a month.....100 bucks a year, or somewhere in that realm. At least then I know I will be surrounded by other forum members who arent scared to drop some of their cash to learn something. I suspect that 99% of these guys that post "please give me an idea so i can become a millionaire" will probably disappear.

Sorry man......your book and forum have been life-changing for me.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Not me, I thrive on new perspective as it relates to anything I am working on. So seeing new angles has huge advantages. That's how you see forward vs whats below your feet. But you are right, this isn't my forum, haha.

So what SOLUTIONS do you see? I don't see in MJ's OP that it was a discussion about a paid forum vs. not. It is better paraphrased as:

How do we maintain an information exchange where risks are mitigated but content is actionable?

Some of the suggestions here regarding credibility becoming a factor or a passkey into protected areas of the forum might be part of the solution. The INSIDERS group is great, and I think the $$ bring in people who are far more serious.

In life, you generally evaluate character before you decide to invest in someone in a personal way. Here, it's like the wild west.

I'm not a huge proponent of money being the predominant safeguard. I do however think that the forum has a tendency to weed out losers using speed points as one metric.

In lieu of MJ pulling the plug on the place completely, and knowing that we won't likely be able to change the character of every skallywag that walks in here :

My proposal is subforums with a litmus test for entry. I think there's enough traffic here to keep a wide open, wild west forum, and for those that are more serious maybe a combination of cash + speed could be required for entry. I think an expansion of the INSIDERS area into a sub forum is attractive, is efficient, is easily scaleable, and would become a better safe haven for the exchange of ideas amongst vetted participants.

So, the main board STAYS, and the INSIDERS area turns into a subforum, with an entrance fee and speed requirement. Existing fastlane INSIDERS subscribers would be grandfathered in regardless of speed at the time of implementation.

Do you guys know there has never been one negative-action-moderated post that I know of in the INSIDERS group?

D

DeletedUser2

I have received alot of value from this forum.

the outside I respond to when a good headline comes up.
the Inside I post to when I want to leave a trail of bread crumbs.

I like the IDEA of a sub forum, however, many top guys have already branched off and started various Skype groups with direct connections to those who are most like them.

If you have to many forums, your going run the risk of getting an ivory tower mentality going on, where fewer of the top guys post to the outside. the forums growth is part of its success, and is suffering a bit from its own success. not a bad problem. just one to solve.

there are idiots everywhere. some are direct thief's, some become competition just because there are that many people on the planet.

so what happens where there are that many more people in the subforum? will it split again? at what point does the splitting stop? when its 2 people?

what should be the barrier to entry? a real business? an interview? more money? posts? speed? I have met some quality people who have low speed because they have not been her that long.
Met others with high speed and say? WTF? because they post like mad men.

I think the mods on the forum, and the owner, MJ have done a great job. its tough to carve out the needs of the forum, from the kinda wanna's. the cool to have's and the bells and whistles that sound good, but add no REAL value. I think they have done a great job to keep the bloat down, and the forum from being overrun.

to many subforums just distills the data, and interactions down to its essence, but would become overwhelming to a new user. asking the crowd TOO much, and you end up with 1000 little voices crying for different things. I dont know if the market knows what it wants.

I like simple.

subcatory for topics.

paid version for no ads, or exclusive content (INSIDERS calls)

The rest is up to the group to create.

Z

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Very interesting to see the thought process behind the current Speedway and INSIDERS upgrades.

I have a totally unique, absolutely unprecedented book idea, with a brand new car analogy about financial mistakes. Can you please tell me exactly what I need to do to make it a best-seller?
hundredaire.jpg

McNandez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jan 3, 2013
I'm not sure what pisses me off more, the fact that you think its OK to steal text, graphics, and someone's niche, or the fact that you have TWO KIDS who will surely be taught the same piss-poor morals and integrity that you have.

:eusa_clap:

ETA: I'm with CBenz, I'll stick around as long as possible, even if it's paid members only.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
you need new members to sustain active growth
You are assuming MJ is looking for growth. I wouldn't be so sure.

Think about some of the recent guys that signed on and rocketed in speed like Million$$$smile, that wouldnt happen if it was paid only.
true, but maybe the tribe is good-enough as it is and willing to take the chance of missing great players like million$$$smile [[as a trade off]]. Unfortunate, but understandable.

Last edited:

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Chris, I understand your view, I really do. However, I don't understand the thinking that you "won't pay to waste time reading things". Are you wasting time here? I guess that statement confuses me a bit because I gladly pay to not waste time. The content on the Inside has much less noise therefore I waste less time there.

Yes and no, 80% of what i read here is wasted time (compared to 99% on other forums) but I still read and I get out the 20% of valuable content or relationships formed. Compare this to going to BnP which is 100% value, then networking through that.

The thing is most of the stuff on the forum is a real waste of time, that is no surprise. I feel like most people should be working on their paths vs posting nonsense here. There is always going to be a noise ratio. I would not pay to change that however, i guess it is hard for me to explain correctly.

If i really need to hammer things out, I'll call Billy, steve, bobby, jill, dana, kenric, etc etc etc. Those relationships, as well as the one i formed with you and other newer members is what i get from this forum. I do not need to pay for a section of the forum to achieve that. In return I attempt to respond to well thought out threads in the most non dick like fashion to provide value back to the community for what I have gained. No guarantee's on the way it sounds though!

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
So several months ago I was approached by a guy who wanted to be mentored in the business of self-publishing. He wanted to write his own book and create his own "Fastlane" via authorship. So I agreed as this guy seemed pretty cool.

Over the course of the next few months, I told this guy all the ins-and-outs of the self-publishing business and how it is different from print-on-demand (CreateSpace, Lulu, iUnverse,etc.) and how it is also different from getting signed from a publishing house, which is the old school way.

I told this guy my "secrets" for creating a great little publishing business, from merchant accounts, to store creation, to distribution channel secrets that took me years to learn.

I even told this guy who my trusted printer was so he could get the great pricing on his book, and done in a quality fashion. All of this allowed him to create the backbone for a nice business which will give him the chance to maximize his margins, and yes, possibly create him his Fastlane.

So after months of mentorship this guy disappears.

When he finally resurfaces, he tells me that he's finally finished his book and he wants to get feedback from me.

He sends me a link to the Amazon listing.

It's a book about finance and entrepreneurship.

It's title?

The Billionaire Fastlane.

Now after this discovery, I'm livid.

And you should be too.

If you're not incensed at this type of betrayal, please do me a favor and LEAVE THIS FORUM AND NEVER RETURN.

We don't want you here.

The Fastlane Forum isn't just about business and entrepreneurship, its also about MORALS, ETHICS and INTEGRITY.

Apparently some people have taken the liberty with the phrase that "Ideas are worthless, but execution is everything."

Yes, that's true -- but it doesn't give you a license to COPY someone else's ideas, someone else's work, someone else's niche, and someone else's secrets and use that help AGAINST THEM, to their detriment.

Get this in your F*ckING HEAD: The advice that is given on this forum from our most prized contributors is given with the assumption that you will use it in your own NEW venture, started 100% from scratch, and NOT in direct competition of the person who gave you that advice.

Visiting the contributor's website and COPYING his images and text is BULLSHIT.
Using your "mentor's" advice to directly compete with your "mentor" is BULLSHIT.
Calling your "mentor's" suppliers and buying shit that your mentor sells, is BULLSHIT.

And on another occasion, one user thought it was OK to literally copy a site with the same structure and images, and play it off as his own. This guy was so F*cking lazy that he didn't even bother to change the links to the stolen site. If you clicked the "Talk to me" button, it linked to the stolen website.

If you think this type of behavior is OK, get F*cking lost. While these actions might not be illegal, its a gross violation of ethics, integrity, and of the Fastlane code. It doesn't make you a "Fastlaner", it makes you a F*cking lazy poser and a F*cking money chasing Sidewalker.

And to make matters worse, these people, when called-out, justify their actions.

"I have two kids to take care of"

Cry me a F*cking river you whiny bastard.

This behavior has already had serious repercussions here at the Forum.

Vigilante's great educative thread "Passive Income Deposits" which boasts over 60,000 views and has birthed many new ventures, has been removed from the public forum and placed on the INSIDE.

Other great threads of value are sure to follow.

Some of our most valued contributors, NO LONGER want to contribute, at least publicly where the TAKERS (and thieves) outnumber the GIVERS.

So with that said, and as the title states, HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM.

As for the solution, I'm not quite sure what that is yet ... and I'm sure whatever it is, people won't like it. I've already lofted the idea of shutting this place down. My time is valuable as are the people who make efforts to contribute here. As with life and in society in general, this is a great example on how the idiots that make-up 1% of the world ruin it for the responsible 99%.

When the "quality threads" start to disappear (either deleted or moved to the inside) don't blame me, blame the lazy savages who troll these forums looking to steal other people's hard work.

Oh MJ said ideas are worthless! Why does it matter?
I have two kids!
I haven't sold any copies of The Billionaire Fastlane yet, why care?

Enjoy the forum while you have it as it's future existence and operational style is now considered undetermined.

To end this, let me apologize for the vile language. This topic is very sensitive to me and boils my passions.
I've had these kinds of thefts happen to me on several occasions -- my anger isn't the idea of facing a new competitor, its the idea that someone stole my own hard work and ingenuity and used it against me. Then gas is thrown onto the rage when the person justifies their actions with some lame a$$ excuse or proverb.

I'd rather have a small forum of 1000 great individuals, rather than a large forum teeming with thieves.

Thanks for reading.

OMFG... Reading this made me want to open up a can of good ole fashioned whoop a$$. But unfortunately it's to be expected. To MJ and all affected by this clown-like behavior please please please don't dim your light .

You can hand a clown the keys to the castle, but that won't make him a F*cking king.

Wear your crowns proudly. If they knew better they would do better. Just because they stole the recipe doesn't mean the end result will be a cake.

MJ you know this is just human nature. I bet when the first caveman discovered fire there was some retarded cave-clown burning down hundreds of acres with a stolen flame.

I say lets turn it up. Lets make those that act with malice feel the coldness of being on the outside. Lets not allow them to be significant in something this huge. It's great to believe in the goodness of mankind but it doesn't hurt to know a little history either.

I can't speak for anyone else but I know I am here because I needed to be here. It was my time to find this forum. All of my sacrifices, mistakes, tears and glory have a home here. This site has challenged me, pissed me off, made me laugh, and taught me how to embrace people and ideas that I don't always agree with; but I respect because I know where it comes from. The heart.

I said it before and I will say it again SUCCESS IS THE SWEETEST REVENGE- LES BROWN

I Love Haters.

Fastlane Forever

whoopass.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Very unfortunate situation from all angles, but someone always finds a way to violate the honor system. It’s sobering to think that if you torpedo this forum there will likely be millions ( tens of millions? ) of dollars in opportunities lost from entrepreneurs who were never able to learn from and establish relationships with some of the generous veterans here. Why someone would willingly piss in that well of knowledge is hard to understand, but clearly it happens and something should be implemented to prevent it.

As someone who has been mostly lurking, learning, and starting to execute it stands to reason that when things change I will be on the outside looking in. Based on the value of the INSIDERS subscription alone I can only hope that the option to remain will be available, even at many multiples of the current annual price or via some other avenue.

Easy answer to that (with some encouragement). Start adding value! You don't have to be a pro to contribute. Contribute. Regardless of the outcome of this discussion. Contribute. You have value to add to the forum.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I don't think this will hurt the community at all. Why? Because we've got awesome mods ready to stamp out any cockroaches that try to fool anyone who offers to help.

This kind of stuff sucks but it happens everywhere. People will be people. People can convince themselves of anything and believe it's right.

I trust our moderators. And because of that, I trust that our moderators will have zero tolerance for this kind of bullcrap, as they have been (although, MJ, that stolpioni guy had to actually INSULT you for you to ban him haha)

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
When I see “insiders†who signed up 6 months ago who only have like 5-10 posts it kind of freaks me out. I understand that MJ is getting paid by all of this, but I don’t like the idea of people who just take from this forum with no intention of ever giving back.

Hmm.. guilty as charged. I am this guy. My goal was to get some sort of fastlane plan going before becoming active here, because we've all seen the action fakers who try to validate idea after idea but never get anywhere.

Blackkramer, I could say the same thing about someone with 100 posts or even 500 posts. After being the guy with 5-10 posts, the guy with 115 posts, 500 posts, 1000 posts, it doesn't matter. There are people with 300 posts that I trust for advice and would go out of my way to help if they asked for it, and people with more than 1000 that I wouldn't. The best way to tell is by meeting them in person.

A word of advice, don't discount someone new. I remember doing this with three people based on ONE post and they turned out to be three of the EXACT type of people I want to know. If Mark Cuban joined the forum today and purchased an INSIDERS membership, he would be one of those guys. An "INSIDERS."

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
I think I can speak for all of us here when I say I wholeheartedly agree with you being upset over this. This place SHOULD be a place where valued information co-exists in a happy marriage with mutual trust and integrity.

And with that in mind...
As for the solution, I'm not quite sure what that is yet ... and I'm sure whatever it is, people won't like it. I've already lofted the idea of shutting this place down.

Whatever you do, don't shut it down.
But...I think I've mentioned before somewhere (in the discussions about the INSIDERS section) that - I think this issue could be resolved by having a higher barrier of entry to the INSIDERS's section. Perhaps with a higher $ fee / month, but that isn't perfect either since the most dishonest person could still just pay his way in. I think there has to be another barrier to entry - in order to take part in the most valuable part(s) of the forum. Perhaps in the form of a minimum amount of Likes and/or Speed points. Not 100% perfect. But at least it would eliminate SOME asshats who are simply here to take, take, take. The forum is just as much about giving as it is about taking. And the points systems serves as a decent indicator of willingness to give.

Of course, the downside to having most of the really valuable information shifted to the INSIDERS's section is that the public section might see less visitors and action takers. But maybe that is for the better too. In the end, quality should win over quantity. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.