The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Houston we have a problem...

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Nobody stole and rewrote MJ's book...you and many others rushed through his post and missed the bolded and color highlighted disclaimer: "While my above story with respect to self-publishing isn't true"

I completely agree that value and ethics in business is paramount, at least it is in my business, that's why I make my product in America and donate proceeds to charity. I'm just saying, business is a cut throat environment and not for the faint of heart. Just because we have values doesn't mean your competition will so you'd better be ready for a battle when you enter the business arena.

In the end we can only control our own actions...I'm not in any way condoning what happened, I'm just not a bit surprised.

I don't think any of us here are ignorant of this at all. We understand that business can be cut throat and that people will try to take you down by any means. I think you are missing the main point here. Maybe reread this thread and the one that sparked this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steele Concept

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Sep 3, 2012
Connecticut
Good thread MJ.

I believe the majority of aspiring entrepreneurs are good and ethical. Unfortunately a bad apple sometimes makes us question the whole process. Especially with the recent examples you have cited. I agree with some other members on here about forum safeguards if it is necessary.

Overall I just have trouble believing how unethical some people act... Perhaps it is due to the anonymity of the internet? Maybe they would act this way in person as well? I would have a hard time thinking that people could get away with this type of shit in person without a proper a$$ kicking or other repercussions...

Thank you everyone that is here helping others like myself. Thank you everyone that is on here and behaving in an ethical manner, that is what should just come naturally :cool:

Lagron

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2013
New Jersey
Huh wow. That really sucks MJ. I don't know what I would do if someone stole my ideas/what I put into them to go off and replicate/compete against me.

With that note, I just did a quick look to see what other books and such have come into being with your similar title...

http://www.amazon.com/Real-Estate-Fastlane-Millionaire-Investor-ebook/dp/B008AY8LI6/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1386942679&sr=1-1&keywords=the billionaire fastlane

: / It has the same cover as yours as well, "The Real Estate Fastlane"

Not sure if Amazon has a feature to this extent since I haven't sold anything on it, but there may be something you can do, or something to report that would flag these plagiarized books, so that Amazon staff can look into them/remove them and their sellers accounts. If there isn't...they really need to get this system in place. It's not the first book I've seen that takes others information and renames it for sale.

Edit: .... Marco Devoy? ... or Snowballpublishing dot come... Don't we have a forum member that is not banned, and is called Snowball on here? (Just wondering, perhaps just a coincidence...)

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Huh wow. That really sucks MJ. I don't know what I would do if someone stole my ideas/what I put into them to go off and replicate/compete against me.

With that note, I just did a quick look to see what other books and such have come into being with your similar title...

http://www.amazon.com/Real-Estate-Fastlane-Millionaire-Investor-ebook/dp/B008AY8LI6/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1386942679&sr=1-1&keywords=the billionaire fastlane

: / It has the same cover as yours as well, "The Real Estate Fastlane"

Not sure if Amazon has a feature to this extent since I haven't sold anything on it, but there may be something you can do, or something to report that would flag these plagiarized books, so that Amazon staff can look into them/remove them and their sellers accounts. If there isn't...they really need to get this system in place. It's not the first book I've seen that takes others information and renames it for sale.

Edit: .... Marco Devoy? ... or Snowballpublishing dot come... Don't we have a forum member that is not banned, and is called Snowball on here? (Just wondering, perhaps just a coincidence...)

Old news. And Snowbank is not involved.

Next?

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
MJ,

You should consider raising the price of INSIDERS subscription. Then put all of the useful content (which it sounds like you've already done somewhat) in the inside. At your current subscription prices I'd be willing to say half of the thieves are still going to buy access to and of the valuable content and swipe/deploy like they already are. A higher price would weed out the thieves and wantrepenuers while still generating the same revenue for you.

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm be more than happy to pay a much higher premium for content that I know isn't exposed to every 15 year old with a laptop in the world...

Something to think about maybe?

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Just keep doing what your doing MJ, just because 1 person has pissed people off dont let it ruin it for the masses.

99% are good, dont let the 1% F*ck you up.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
MJ I dont want to sound rude but....

You advertise to join the inside quite a bit, but now are complaining you are too popular with the subscriptions.
Lots of posters also recommend joining all the time to read the legendary threads, maybe thats what they did and then they didnt come back or are busy?

Solutions:

Stop advertising the inside subscription
Make a thread on the inside to ask INSIDERS not to advise people to join the inside
Make INSIDERS subscription referal only, or to have a yes/no vote for inside members.

Personally I love it that the inside has 500 members now, the more the merrier I think. People might have to be careful on what details they give on certain ideas but thats common sense. Jacking up the price and putting people off joining the inside is bad idea personally, nothing wrong with small increases. A superspeedway might be good with access to INSIDERS with 100+ speed .

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
Bump, since the forum is growing like a weed.

That might happen as well ... its growing in there beyond expectations as well. The INSIDE was supposed to be an intimate gathering and now it is 500 strong of mostly those who do not post.

I would suggest a rather different aproach, a bit harder to implement maybe. I'd bump the INSIDERS subscription price but discounting based on speed (although I don't like this new like/speed system). This way we could avoid the guys in the shadow and have more people contributing.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
One of the reason I am not as active as I use to be is because there are too many idiots posting garbage advice and stealing ideas

I would agree that a load of threads could have been started in the normal forum and not in INSIDERS. Ideas can be stolen by anyone, its up to you how much to share and the benefits and disadvantages from sharing.

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
Invite only sounds like a good idea!

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
The INSIDE was supposed to be an intimate gathering and now it is 500 strong of mostly those who do not post.

I've read a couple things here and there that almost make me feel guilty about joining the INSIDERS. I joined the INSIDERS because I figured it was for people who are serious. And although I don't provide much value yet, and I'm without a doubt a noob, I AM serious and want to learn as much as possible and of course teach others as well. But, you have to learn the ropes for yourself before you can help others.

While I myself would never steal anyone's ideas simply for ethical reasons, I understand that there are unfortunately people who would and so I completely understand the concern of more valuable members not wanting to contribute and not wanting the INSIDERS section to get too crowded and what not. I joined the inside knowing that I probably wouldn't provide much value, but I also respect the forum and planned on just observing for the most part and not cluttering the inside up with nooby threads.

Anyways, I guess I just want to know if it would be better if I don't re-join the inside like I planned on doing after my subscription runs out and just stick to the outside until I can provide more value? I'm not asking this in a "oh poor me i provide no value feel bad for me" kind of way.. I'm genuinely concerned that people of my "entrepreneur/business knowledge level" are not really wanted in the inside. I don't take offense or anything if that's the case, but like I said, I respect the forum and the people on it and I have no desire to be a nuisance to anyone here.

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
When "inspiration" threads, entertainment threads and feel-good "popular wisdom" threads garner the most love from the membership instead of specific advice to a question, people with experience will tend not to be too active.

When it comes to stealing - well it's human nature and no one should be surprised, happens between "friends" all the time as well, not only long-distance through forums and other means of communication.

Giving advice to someone who has PROVEN to be in the business for some time and not your competitor is perfectly fine, giving specific advice to someone just thinking of starting out will most of the time result in creating a direct competitor.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I've read a couple things here and there that almost make me feel guilty about joining the INSIDERS. I joined the INSIDERS because I figured it was for people who are serious. And although I don't provide much value yet, and I'm without a doubt a noob, I AM serious and want to learn as much as possible and of course teach others as well. But, you have to learn the ropes for yourself before you can help others.

While I myself would never steal anyone's ideas simply for ethical reasons, I understand that there are unfortunately people who would and so I completely understand the concern of more valuable members not wanting to contribute and not wanting the INSIDERS section to get too crowded and what not. I joined the inside knowing that I probably wouldn't provide much value, but I also respect the forum and planned on just observing for the most part and not cluttering the inside up with nooby threads.

Anyways, I guess I just want to know if it would be better if I don't re-join the inside like I planned on doing after my subscription runs out and just stick to the outside until I can provide more value? I'm not asking this in a "oh poor me i provide no value feel bad for me" kind of way.. I'm genuinely concerned that people of my "entrepreneur/business knowledge level" are not really wanted in the inside. I don't take offense or anything if that's the case, but like I said, I respect the forum and the people on it and I have no desire to be a nuisance to anyone here.
What? That's silly. If you're concerned about being a nuisance, post less. You haven't come up on my nuisance screen. Being the inside should help you to gain the knowledge to be of more value later. If you're getting value for you $$ stay. I really doubt that MJ is looking at the lurker list for people to kick out.

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
What? That's silly. If you're concerned about being a nuisance, post less. You haven't come up on my nuisance screen. Being the inside should help you to gain the knowledge to be of more value later. If you're getting value for you $$ stay. I really doubt that MJ is looking at the lurker list for people to kick out.
Lol, I guess it may be silly but I am just saying from reading a few different posts (would quote them but have no idea what threads they were in) I got the impression that noobs weren't really wanted in the Inside. But I may just be paranoid. Thanks for your input and hopefully more of the INSIDERS feel the same as you.

G

Guest3722A

there are too many idiots posting garbage advice
I think a garbage advice determinant would be an exceptional addition of value to the inside. Not necessarily negative speed, but a disagree/b.s. button of sorts. And then perhaps give the poster an opportunity to defend and back up a statement with personally experienced facts. But that's a different topic all together.

Or is it? Maybe a solution could be found in a b.s. button?

There needs to be a qualifying process for people to even have the opportunity to get into the INSIDE, and it shouldn't have to do with money at all
I agree, as I look at this site as a place for people to learn how to build wealth, so the elephant in the room is obvious when referring to an increased cost.

An automated questionnaire perhaps, for those with low speed, with maybe a couple hundred pain in the a$$, (additional) barrier to entry questions that attempts to discover a person's ability to be truthful, and/or determines if integrity is in there somewhere. Again, something "automated" that has the ability to operate independently, and check itself. Those who don't pass will be able to come back and try again at a later time. These testing systems are not something new.

A problem I have with speed though, and now I'm going off on a tangent but I think it deserves to be said, is I have seen quite a few "idiots" come on the site and get speeded by people who SHOULDN'T HAVE THE ABILITY TO SPEED OTHERS just yet. So the site does have plenty of obvious growing pains.

But what I really, really, really like, is the fact that I got to witness MJ years ago discuss here amongst the original group of friends of how to build an internet presence into something of great value, and we all get to witness this.

...and this is amazing

just my .02

Vote4cake

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Dec 28, 2013
Arlington, VA
Unbelievable
I can't believe that some people would copy and actually claim it as their own. Are people that foolish? Don't they realize how easy it is in this day of age to expose plagiarism? I will never comprehend their shallow mindedness.
and that other kiddo that took information & competed and went against his mentor... L? Are you kiddin' me? If I had a mentor, the last thing I'd do is piss him/her away.
Anyway, thanks for addressing this issue and trying to combat it, cause others like myself don't want unethical people to be running wild and all over the place.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I agree !

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
I think just making this a paid only club.....even if its just 5 bucks a month will weed out a lot of the vermin. This is the same problem with Craigslist. As soon as they start charging a small fee to post in the jobs section, the little scammer F*cksticks disappear. MJ, I say make it paid only.....and feel free to bump it up to 10 bucks....20 bucks a month.....100 bucks a year, or somewhere in that realm. At least then I know I will be surrounded by other forum members who arent scared to drop some of their cash to learn something. I suspect that 99% of these guys that post "please give me an idea so i can become a millionaire" will probably disappear.

Sorry man......your book and forum have been life-changing for me.

Little scammer F*cksticks. HAHA! GOLD!

ShellShock

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 14, 2018
Bucharest
No wonder a lot of successful entrepreneurs are reticent to the idea of mentoring...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.