The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Holy Guacamole

Anything related to matters of the mind

Josephseal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 23, 2019
Ahoy fellow members, the “Fast Lane” is a lot faster than I thought.

What I mean is once I got over the reality of my “Slow Lane” life (not to be confused with lazy) I’ve read both MJ Books and presumably like most I had stumbled across the “Secret Sauce” exit off the “Slow Lane” .

With the help of some forum members whom unselfishly pointed me in the right direction to begin the process of building my business system, I was feeling pretty good.

However, changing my mind-set has been by far the most difficult, the shifting of value systems, cutting the cord to my belief systems of rituals such as trading five days for two, working a certain amount of hours a week (typically 50), two week’s vacation a year etc.. has created a huge amount of emotional turbulence. I feel a tremendous amount of urgency, self-doubt, and uncertainty and the job I once loved, seems pointless, very stressful.

Is the creation of a new mindset and the mental turbulence part of the process?

I’m a seasoned executive and lived many different career lives, I’m 58 years old, maybe it’s just harder for me because I’m old dog.

My question, does anyone else feel this mental Armageddon?

I’m really trying not to be a whiner, but I have to believe, I’m not the minority.

Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Give it time

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. This battle wages in my head daily. I've known for many years that the road to wealth is NOT as an employee. But I was raised on the slow lane. Unfortunately, my entrepreneurial failures of the past have only served to reinforce the slow lane dogma in my mind and the minds of those close to me. But still I battle on. I know the answer. I know my past failures were failures of process and CENTS. They were the results of poor decisions on my part.

Now I am preparing to exit the slow lane again. Walking away from a very comfortable executive salary position to - again - find my offramp. This time I am much better prepared. I am confident I will succeed, but I'm not fooling myself that this will be easy.
Hang in there.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
For me it introduces a self doubt when everyone at work is going for more debt and a nicer degree and trying to climb the corporate ladder and all that and i'm like "yeh gilded cage , good luck"

lunga ngcobo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 29, 2019
Ahoy fellow members, the “Fast Lane” is a lot faster than I thought.

What I mean is once I got over the reality of my “Slow Lane” life (not to be confused with lazy) I’ve read both MJ Books and presumably like most I had stumbled across the “Secret Sauce” exit off the “Slow Lane” .

With the help of some forum members whom unselfishly pointed me in the right direction to begin the process of building my business system, I was feeling pretty good.

However, changing my mind-set has been by far the most difficult, the shifting of value systems, cutting the cord to my belief systems of rituals such as trading five days for two, working a certain amount of hours a week (typically 50), two week’s vacation a year etc.. has created a huge amount of emotional turbulence. I feel a tremendous amount of urgency, self-doubt, and uncertainty and the job I once loved, seems pointless, very stressful.

Is the creation of a new mindset and the mental turbulence part of the process?

I’m a seasoned executive and lived many different career lives, I’m 58 years old, maybe it’s just harder for me because I’m old dog.

I’m really trying not to be a whiner, but I have to believe, I’m not the minority.

Thoughts?
You are thinking about it way too much buddy. being a fastlaner is all about information, making a decision and then lots of daily action.

You will never stop stressing about it untill you start acting on your business.

As for your mental armageddon, anyone who has read Mj's books already has a mind shift and i believe that you also have. Now its time to act on the knowledge you have.

Act now and keep acting and i guarantee that you will thank yourself 5 years from now.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

I think it's a natural reaction. It is often likened to film The Matrix as it has that disorienting effect when you see the world with new eyes and from a new perspective. It will calm down once you have had enough time to process it. Again very Matrix like.

Welcome to the enlightened alternative universe. ;)

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
“Mental Armageddon” is the perfect phrase. Perfect. Phrase. You’re not alone, at all. I kinda wanted to start drinking a lot once the dust cleared and I realized how much I had failed to do.

From what I can gather though, the ppl who stopped focusing on their feelings and started just acting on stuff that works, with common sense and conscientiousness, move through this phase much more quickly.

This new mindset becomes your normal as habits are integrated in your life. Then you can start acting as your new enlightened identity dictates.

Good luck.

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
Every damn day. I've started retraining my dopamine and it helps, but by far the best way to get me to work on the business is to have something more important that needs to be done :)
Celebrating 59 on the 7th!

Josephseal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 23, 2019
Thank you all, it wasn’t an easy question to post or answer on an open forum, the honesty and depth of your replies is taken well.

The common theme from everyone is action trumps emotional turmoil.

Yesterday was my birthday and I can’t think of a better time to dedicate myself to a new chapter in my life.

@Ernman, I feel like I’m talking to myself in the mirror, I’ve owned businesses in the past which ultimately failed. It’s not easy to dedicate so much time, effort to build a business’s physical, mental and family sacrifices are monumental. I will only look back on what will serve me going forward.

@ lunga ngcobo, your right, I’m a thinker by nature and have a tendency to overthink.

@ChrisV, yep, I’m marinating and not giving my mindset the proper time to incubate.

@MHP368, what a true statement, the first part of your comment is spot on, everyone else seems to be moving forward, while I’m tinkering around with the same old stuff, they have the illusion of progress.

@RazorCut, perfect statement, disorientated, Like “Neo” a part of me doesn’t want to accept the truth.

@ Primeperwinkle, great response!! I’m getting used to my new mindset, I had no idea how far the rabbit hole went.

I’m being pulled to persevere because I believe in the purpose.

One of the main focuses of my job is to coach and develop general managers for the company I work for. Aside from countless hours of face time, I also have an abundance of blogs which are sent out weekly.

I’m currently working with a ghostwriter, the content is purposeful to my industry and I will publish an e-book in the not so distant future, the first step of many. I’ll follow the book up with an e-mail campaign and see how the market responds.

I’m also working on doing a free seminar to a local university which offers a “Restaurant Management” course, I’m pretty excited about that.

Additionally, I’m also working on building a forum website for my company which is the first step to creating a larger site-centric to the restaurant hospitality industry.

I’ll keep everyone posted.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA

Brewmacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
Hey @Josephseal

Do not fret mate! You will be fine :)

You are definitely not alone in this turbulent time. It is truly a head fcuk, and many of the people here know how you are feeling right now.

Lucky for you, you have this wonderful forum and the amazing supportive people who are happy to help and give you guidance.

I went a little crazy for about two months until my mind calibrated to the whole idea. If you want a laugh or to just to realize that you are not alone, have a read to the post below. It is a credit to the members and how they helped.

All the best.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Happy Birthday Joseph.

Seems like you have a lot on your plate.

If I could offer one piece of advice, just pick one thing and focus on that until successful. Multiple irons in multiple fires usually leads to distraction, and either mediocre results or failure across the board.

That’s both an observation of others and from past personal experience. Make of it what you will.

Josephseal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 23, 2019
Happy Birthday Joseph.

Seems like you have a lot on your plate.

If I could offer one piece of advice, just pick one thing and focus on that until successful. Multiple irons in multiple fires usually leads to distraction, and either mediocre results or failure across the board.

That’s both an observation of others and from past personal experience. Make of it what you will.
Thank for the BD wishes, I'm only working on the E-book at the moment and the seminar, okay I'm also F*cking around with a website, goddammit:)

Josephseal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 23, 2019
Hey @Josephseal

Do not fret mate! You will be fine :)

You are definitely not alone in this turbulent time. It is truly a head fcuk, and many of the people here know how you are feeling right now.

Lucky for you, you have this wonderful forum and the amazing supportive people who are happy to help and give you guidance.

I went a little crazy for about two months until my mind calibrated to the whole idea. If you want a laugh or to just to realize that you are not alone, have a read to the post below. It is a credit to the members and how they helped.

All the best.

Wow, what a great thread, I'm having a mind F*ck moment

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!