The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

High School Students making 10k a month.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Burned The Boats

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
May 28, 2014
Of course the question that comes to everyone's mind is, how?

On the internet.

Theres plenty of teenagers that are making 5k, 10k, a month online.

I'm not seeing the point in putting effort into any other business besides something thats online. It's global, its faster, easier. There aren't any teenagers renting an office and hiring 10 salesman to be on the phone all day in small cubicles. They "make money on the internet". For the average joe, even if you own a house and a nice car and your 35. Making 10k a month online sounds unreal. Making that amount of money would give you PLENTY of flexibility to start other business ventures in person.

Not really sure what my question is, just some thoughts. I guess my question is why start any other business other than online?

Were talking about making money here right? Yeah dont be a "money chaser" "dont go into business to make money, create value" "you dont have the right mindset to be an

entrepreneur you thinking about money" Lets be real, were talking about MAKING MONEY. Money to walk into a grocery store and actually an item that has a decimal in it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
Its nice to leave the house and interact with people

• Banned

Burned The Boats

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
May 28, 2014
If it's so easy a high schooler can do it. Start a progress thread and prove it. Start now.

That's my entire question, point, and purpose of this thread. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

Highschoolers make 10k a month, how is it that easy.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Most are frauds and don't make 10k a month, they are selling you a book so YOU can make 10k.
One guy from a famous forum was "making" 10k a mo, yet couldn't afford for me to design a $650 mobile version of his website. Go figure.

Michael W.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Mar 2, 2009
Ok City, OK
That's my entire question, point, and purpose of this thread. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

Because other than the creating value seeing opportunity aspect, it's a different generation that has grown up and embraced social media platforms and ecommerce. It's truly the only thing they know. That's my excuse anyways. I run a offline business but have a huge IT background and lived thru the dot com bust. Rather make my money and buy companies aka Ron Perelman than try to create the next app or social media platform.

Someone has to manufacture and extract the raw materials that create Cisco routers and the fiber they connect to, the web servers and the power that supplies them. It goes on and on and on.

My thoughts.

• Banned

Burned The Boats

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
May 28, 2014
Most are frauds and don't make 10k a month, they are selling you a book so YOU can make 10k.
One guy from a famous forum was "making" 10k a mo, yet couldn't afford for me to design a $650 mobile version of his website. Go figure.

You could say "most people are frauds" at basically ANYTHING. I'm saying they exist, and theres not just 10 of them in the country, theres a lot, they exist.

Most of the business we talk about that are fastlane, take 10 years. These are high school students making thousands a month online, so theyre doing it very quickly.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
You could say "most people are frauds" at basically ANYTHING. I'm saying they exist, and theres not just 10 of them in the country, theres a lot, they exist.

Most of the business we talk about that are fastlane, take 10 years. These are high school students making thousands a month online, so theyre doing it very quickly.
Not at a real business with a front and real world sales.

Most are faking their numbers, most do media marketing and paid traffic stuff. But I don't think its as many as you think. A lot don't really make 10k a month. They leave out the part about it taking 8k worth of paid traffic to get it. Still a profit, but they didn't make 10k really.

evanwebb

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jan 31, 2011
Austin, TX
If they're doing what you want to do, go ask them how they do it.

I suspect any that are doing what you describe are hustling and not building businesses. One of my favorite comments from @JackEdwards is (paraphrased), "When I start a business I think about building something that someone else will want to buy. I envision a meeting where someone hands me a big check for my business."

There's a difference between owning a business and owning a job. That said, if this is true, for a high schooler that sounds like a pretty sweet gig.

Burned The Boats

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
May 28, 2014
If they're doing what you want to do, go ask them how they do it.

I suspect any that are doing what you describe are hustling and not building businesses. One of my favorite comments from @JackEdwards is (paraphrased), "When I start a business I think about building something that someone else will want to buy. I envision a meeting where someone hands me a big check for my business."

There's a difference between owning a business and owning a job. That said, if this is true, for a high schooler that sounds like a pretty sweet gig.

These teenagers are definitely selling products. One of them sold ad space. Furthermore, they are business's, they're online. They make money while they sleep. Then they sell the business.

D

DeletedUser394

To the question about why would anyone consider something other than online:

I like being able to reach out and physically touch my business (lol). To see something real and tangible. Be it a franchise, real estate, etc

It just comes down to a personal preference really. One can reach their goals many different ways

Burned The Boats

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
May 28, 2014
To the question about why would anyone consider something other than online:

I like being able to reach out and physically touch my business (lol). To see something real and tangible. Be it a franchise, real estate, etc

It just comes down to a personal preference really. One can reach their goals many different ways

I completely understand its preference, but it's still about money. Why would a person spend 10 years on a physical business to make 10 million when you can make that much cheaper and much quicker with an online business?

I know im sounding like "its all about money" but it is, create value, make money, do that online you do it much quicker. I must be missing something.

HarryR

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
May 21, 2013
NC, USA or traveling
Why limit yourself to one of the other. Why not be both? find a hungry market, give them what they want, and then find as many other distribution channels can. If if they are online that's awesome. If you find good distribution channels off-line you'd be an idiot not to sell them just Because you want an online business.

D

DeletedUser394

I completely understand its preference, but it's still about money. Why would a person spend 10 years on a physical business to make 10 million when you can make that much cheaper and much quicker with an online business?

I know im sounding like "its all about money" but it is, create value, make money, do that online you do it much quicker. I must be missing something.

It's not a race, and it's not only about money.

I look forward to the day where I can look up, point to the tallest building and proudly say 'I own it!'

I have no interest at this point in my life to have a strong presence online, and I'm in a position where I don't need to be.

Different people are better suited for different investments vehicles to achieve their version of the fastlane. Most of the people on here aren't even suited to being entrepreneurs in the first place and they slowly fade back into obscurity. Plenty of people here do well in Residential Real Estate, Hotels, eCommerce, even as employees that invest, etc.

eCommerce doesn't appeal to me. I'd rather potentially make less money, and slower, but be happy than do something I don't want to do under the guise of making a lot of money as fast as possible.

Again, it's simply preferences. What works for one person may not be suitable for the next person in line with the same exact goals.

HarryR

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
May 21, 2013
NC, USA or traveling

you are missing how hard it is to be that successful online. Every whiz kid is doing it. You hear about the 0.0001 percent to get some sort of success. if you want to do it though, go do it.

Genester

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jun 23, 2013
Cuz no one told em it was supposed to be hard.

I think he is on point with this comment, are there highschoolers making $5-$10k/month? Sure. Was it easy for them? Depends on their perception of easy, I think at that age you feel like you can pretty much do anything and don't have as many things holding you back and you kind of just go all in. These kids just max out their credits cards and take risks that typical people with a wife and kid at home wouldn't do, this is why I think you see so many young people doing well with internet marketing, they aren't afraid to just leap in there and blow some cash.

But do keep in mind that you only hear about the ones that are doing well and make money, the other 98 percent tried and couldn't make it work and moved on with their lives, so in that aspect there isn't that many teenagers doing well when you look at the big picture.

Why start any other business besides an online one? Diversity and some would rather have a business that sells a physical product, but again you can sell that physical product online so is your business online now or offline? If you're solely talking about a brick and mortar compared to a fully online business then I would agree with you and say that online is definitely the way to go. But again, it depends on the niche you're in and industry, it's all relative because plenty of people make good money offline and plenty make good money online. There will always be demand for offline services/products but the demand for online services and products is going to keep growing and growing, so you can look at it that way and argue that online is the better option.

Barrier to entry is definitely lower for online businesses and the rewards can be just as good or greater than rewards from an offline business.

My recommendation for what it's worth? Go online!

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
Couldn't you easily make the argument with a tangible business? I bet you could find just as many (if not more) kids making 5-10k a month working for a business as a salesman (commission based) or hustling on CraigsList/eBay or even selling sneakers or drugs. In the end the numbers are going to even out, but obviously someone making money online is more susceptible to have an online presence sharing their 'success'.

I think the fact that you are even asking how easy it is means it isn't that easy. If it were you would be raking in 10k a month and probably not writing a post about it. If you truly believe it is that easy then you should be able to match and surmount 10k a month no problem. Let's see it happen

Michael W.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Mar 2, 2009
Ok City, OK
Couldn't you easily make the argument with a tangible business? I bet you could find just as many (if not more) kids making 5-10k a month working for a business as a salesman (commission based) or hustling on CraigsList/eBay or even selling sneakers or drugs. In the end the numbers are going to even out, but obviously someone making money online is more susceptible to have an online presence sharing their 'success'.

I think the fact that you are even asking how easy it is means it isn't that easy. If it were you would be raking in 10k a month and probably not writing a post about it. If you truly believe it is that easy then you should be able to match and surmount 10k a month no problem. Let's see it happen

A guy I know (not a teen) but younger than me, natural salesman, pulled 75k in one month doing door to door sales. It was amazing. Is it easy driving neighborhoods, doors slammed, the heat (it was summer), naw. Worth it. Depends on your character. He did jewelry and cologne sales as a kid and came into this more lucrative biz, so I agree. Prolly a lot of kids who have the will, make 10k offline. I admire those guys.

Vagabond 007

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 1, 2011
Philly Suburbs
Friend of mine started his first business in high school (with a friend of his who was also in high school at the time). Kept growing and growing. That lead to another business. Last I heard it was doing around $60 million a year.

The sales are all online but they have a HUGE warehouse where you can pick stuff up if you're local.

I remember him saying they would just keep trying (TESTING) businesses. If they didn't make money, they'd stop. If it had potential, they poured more money into. This was a good 10 years ago. Nowadays it's common to hear that advice...fail fast.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
@The-J wins 'most profound comment of the month' award. +Rep

Pupper Master

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 14, 2014
I'm one of those "high-schoolers" as you say, I started last year around this time. I had nothing, but 5$ in my paypal. How did I do it?
Firstly I read a huge load of articles, guides, I learned basic SEO, bought a domain from godaddy for 1.17$ with a coupon, failed miserably. Then I found out about how to rank videos on youtube, bought some views, optimized my video, it ranked. Made some sales, created a nice website for my niche. Started to make about 60$ a day for a week, when my video got taken down, my earnings went down to about 3-7$ a day. I reinvested most of my profits back into youtube, thinking I will be successful again - I wasn't. My videos kept being deleted, because a bunch of people started using bots to flag videos down, didn't matter if the video was legit or not. So I went and dived in into SEO back again, I started reading like a motherfcker, learning all kinds of methods and eventually I ranked my first website. There was a bunch of stuff in-between that would take way too much time to explain. But now I'm making about 1000$ a week( sure it's not 10k or 5k, but I started when I was 16, now I'm 17).I own my private blog network,I have started to rent an office space until school starts again.
And for people saying it's hard to earn that money, well it's really not. I've had days where I had to work for about 15 hours a day, had a lot of issues. But I never gave up, even today, I finished setting up my dedicated server, I had a shit-load of problems, been working for 9 hours already.
The thing is I work 24/7, I wake up at 3am if I have to, I work on sundays, I always work, I never give up and the thing is, I'm not even happy with what I'm earning. And the saying "it's so easy a highschooler can do it", it really is easy, you don't have to be smart. All I knew was basic programming and hacking when I started. All it takes is dedication.

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
Just because something is simple, doesn't mean it's easy.

Society has programmed us in a hypnotic rhythm and any person at high school who can break out of that trance (kudos!) will find ways to make 10 Grand. Online is simpler, yes but harder I find. The market is TOO crowded, everyone is here.

Old money, as always has stood the test of time, e.g real estate, brick and mortar businesses and farms (tangible stuff basically). REAL business building as a course I stumbled across through 3 am searching once taught me, was make the money online and go invest in assets OFFLINE.

There is nothing like REAL business.

G

GuestUser113

When I read that someone is making x amount a month. I do not go geez how? I simply say that person took ACTION. If you want to know the "how". Go do the process. Step 1 etc...

frieden70

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Nov 24, 2012
+rep for taking action and not being a smart a$$ highschool kid (or at least you don't seem like a smart a$$ ;)).

It sounds like you have developed all of the essential habits of an entrepreneur.

I'll be very interested to watch your journey.

I'm one of those "high-schoolers" as you say, I started last year around this time. I had nothing, but 5$ in my paypal. How did I do it?
Firstly I read a huge load of articles, guides, I learned basic SEO, bought a domain from godaddy for 1.17$ with a coupon, failed miserably. Then I found out about how to rank videos on youtube, bought some views, optimized my video, it ranked. Made some sales, created a nice website for my niche. Started to make about 60$ a day for a week, when my video got taken down, my earnings went down to about 3-7$ a day. I reinvested most of my profits back into youtube, thinking I will be successful again - I wasn't. My videos kept being deleted, because a bunch of people started using bots to flag videos down, didn't matter if the video was legit or not. So I went and dived in into SEO back again, I started reading like a motherfcker, learning all kinds of methods and eventually I ranked my first website. There was a bunch of stuff in-between that would take way too much time to explain. But now I'm making about 1000$ a week( sure it's not 10k or 5k, but I started when I was 16, now I'm 17).I own my private blog network,I have started to rent an office space until school starts again.
And for people saying it's hard to earn that money, well it's really not. I've had days where I had to work for about 15 hours a day, had a lot of issues. But I never gave up, even today, I finished setting up my dedicated server, I had a shit-load of problems, been working for 9 hours already.
The thing is I work 24/7, I wake up at 3am if I have to, I work on sundays, I always work, I never give up and the thing is, I'm not even happy with what I'm earning. And the saying "it's so easy a highschooler can do it", it really is easy, you don't have to be smart. All I knew was basic programming and hacking when I started. All it takes is dedication.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
I'm not seeing the point in putting effort into any other business besides something thats online.

In high school, that could very well be true. Being very young looking and not having any credentials is going to hamper face-to-face negotiations every way you turn. You can still do an in-person business, but it has to be done carefully.

In contrast, if you're an adult, overlooking B&M is a big mistake if you've got a wining idea. I visited a guy a few weeks ago (write-up incoming because it was an absolute gold mine of fastlane lessons and mindset-rocking tidbits) who had been a state trooper, and now owns his own company that he started just with his savings a few years ago; basically the person I want to be in six years. He did all B&M and phone, no web skills to speak of (it's actually part of the reason why I was there).

If you don't see the value of putting effort into a brick and mortar, you might change your mind when I tell you that after our meeting, he drove away in a Saleen S7. His Carrera GT and Ferrari F40 were back at home. He's in his early 40's and spent more than half his life working normal jobs, so this is all recent. B&M is totally legit.

Don't let the medium constrain you. The only thing, say it again, THE ONLY THING that should constrain or dictate your course of business action is "Where is the biggest need that I can effectively solve."

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013

When you put money first, everything is more difficult. You project into the future about how you want to make XX,XXX dollars, and will be susceptible to chasing dollars at every turn.

When you have a need that is large enough, money takes care of itself. Money comes as a result of providing value, filling needs, and chasing perfection and excellence. Instead of worrying about how to make 10K a month, worry about how you can solve other peoples problems and do it well at a large level. Then, money will follow.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.