The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello from South Africa

gerhard_SA

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Aug 15, 2022
South Africa
Hi All,

My name is Gerhard and I am a 36-year-old from Cape Town, South Africa. I've been married for 5 years to a beautiful woman and we have 3 cats, 2 dogs, and zero kids (by choice)...

I work as Head of Technology in a subsidiary of one of SA's largest Retail chain companies. The next step (in 2 or 3 years) would probably be CTO or a similar role within the company or the larger group. I make a decent salary and we are financially reasonably comfortable, compared to others my age, particularly in a country like SA. I save 20% of my salary, and we have everything we need, but not much more, and we live month-to-month post savings. Okay YAWN... you see where this is going. I'm the king of the slow lane. I know and believe what MJ says of the inherent risk in living this life... I get it, but the truth is that I am fairly safe in my career, and (like my parents) we will probably do "pretty well" and retire relatively comfortably and will get to go on the occasional nice holiday.

IT DEPRESSES THE HELL OUT OF ME!!! It's not enough. I want to live my life now. I want to not be so focused on my budget; I want to be able to afford things for myself and my wife and my parents and I want to help others, and I do not want to keep trading ALL of my time just to get by, and for 2 off days a week. I know I should feel lucky... in South Africa, it's very hard to forget what poverty looks like. I am privileged as hell and I know it, but I want more.

I am just not sure how to take the offramp to the fast lane. Even before reading TMF , I've spent countless nights trying to come up with the idea that will change everything. I know my approach is wrong. I know I need to ACT and stop dreaming. But I am scared, and I have so many reasons (good and bad) to NOT go for it:
  • I work 10 hours a day already - where will I find the time?
  • I don't have enough savings to quit my job and start something full-time. How would I cover my expenses?
  • Even if I did, what if it didn't work out and I spent all my retirement savings?
  • What will my parents think?!

I know these are BS and I am working towards overcoming these fears. I have to because I am not fulfilled at the moment, and I want to be the best version of myself I can be; it's what my wife deserves and it's what I deserve.

I just read TMF and while most of the concepts weren't earth-shatteringly new, it's as if @MJ DeMarco took all my subconscious thoughts and beliefs and formulated them into proper arguments to help me overcome these fears.

I don't know how yet, but I am leaving the slow lane soon. Let's just hope I don't end on the literal sidewalk!

If anyone reads this, thanks, and I hope to learn a lot on these forums. I hope that by the time I turn 40, I can be a major contributor, a success story, and a mentor to others like me.

Cheers,

Gerhard

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SSTrey

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
May 24, 2021
Hi All,

My name is Gerhard and I am a 36-year-old from Cape Town, South Africa. I've been married for 5 years to a beautiful woman and we have 3 cats, 2 dogs, and zero kids (by choice)...

I work as Head of Technology in a subsidiary of one of SA's largest Retail chain companies. The next step (in 2 or 3 years) would probably be CTO or a similar role within the company or the larger group. I make a decent salary and we are financially reasonably comfortable, compared to others my age, particularly in a country like SA. I save 20% of my salary, and we have everything we need, but not much more, and we live month-to-month post savings. Okay YAWN... you see where this is going. I'm the king of the slow lane. I know and believe what MJ says of the inherent risk in living this life... I get it, but the truth is that I am fairly safe in my career, and (like my parents) we will probably do "pretty well" and retire relatively comfortably and will get to go on the occasional nice holiday.

IT DEPRESSES THE HELL OUT OF ME!!! It's not enough. I want to live my life now. I want to not be so focused on my budget; I want to be able to afford things for myself and my wife and my parents and I want to help others, and I do not want to keep trading ALL of my time just to get by, and for 2 off days a week. I know I should feel lucky... in South Africa, it's very hard to forget what poverty looks like. I am privileged as hell and I know it, but I want more.

I am just not sure how to take the offramp to the fast lane. Even before reading TMF , I've spent countless nights trying to come up with the idea that will change everything. I know my approach is wrong. I know I need to ACT and stop dreaming. But I am scared, and I have so many reasons (good and bad) to NOT go for it:
  • I don't have enough savings to quit my job and start something full-time. How would I cover my expenses?
  • Even if I did, what if it didn't work out and I spent all my retirement savings?

I know these are BS and I am working towards overcoming these fears. I have to because I am not fulfilled at the moment, and I want to be the best version of myself I can be; it's what my wife deserves and it's what I deserve.

I just read TMF and while most of the concepts weren't earth-shatteringly new, it's as if @MJ DeMarco took all my subconscious thoughts and beliefs and formulated them into proper arguments to help me overcome these fears.

I don't know how yet, but I am leaving the slow lane soon. Let's just hope I don't end on the literal sidewalk!

If anyone reads this, thanks, and I hope to learn a lot on these forums. I hope that by the time I turn 40, I can be a major contributor, a success story, and a mentor to others like me.

Cheers,

Gerhard
HI Gerhard,

From a fellow South African, welcome!
I am in very much the similar situation as you, it is great to know in a country like ours, we are stepping up to question & start to action on the Fastlane.

maximusharrison

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jul 1, 2021
Welcome, Gerhard!

Lots of us are in a similar situation, one way or another, and everything that's been going on for the last couple of years doesn't help at all. I guess some difficult decisions need to be made.

This is definitely a place to learn a lot and get some great ideas, so welcome one more time and all the best!

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022
Hi All,

Cheers,

Gerhard
welcome and thank you for sharing your situation with us.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
aangename kennis! Het (@SSTrey and @gerhard_SA )

my cousins live in pretoria and durban. I have a fantasy of owning several props in potchefstroom and pretoria in my near future. south africa is a badass country!

welcome to the forum and i think south africans have a dying hunger of progress as they are surrounded by events daily that enable them to think about exiting the scripted life and to become totally free and in control.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...