The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Habit changer: TV is a pitiful waste of time

G

Guest6814

My days are so full that there’s no time for TV, so I don’t even own one. I don’t miss it enough to go out and buy one, either.

There’s a great book called The Power of Full Engagement. From that book, Iearned the concept of replacement behavior: replace each bad behavior with a positive behavior. Doing so is a lot more effective than simply forcing yourself not to do the bad behavior.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

richstone.io

API and Automation Engineer Growing SaaS
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jan 28, 2019
Barcelona
After reading James Clear book, "Atomic Habits" - I decided to change my environment up a little bit so I don't fall into the same routines and time depleting habits.
What are some specific actions you've taken to change a habit?

In the last years, I used to "relax" sometimes in front of the TV or watch stuff while eating. One day I thought that I'd like to do something more purposeful and decided, probably inspired by Ryan Holiday's binge reader blog post, that I will be a book addict from now on. Whenever I am alone and my energy levels are near zero, or I am eating, or walking, I'd plug in the ear pods or get myself a book. This is strategy is kind of habit replacement (I wonder that James Clear talks so very little about that) combining it with something that I find fun to discuss with people. If you can find something like this, it could make quite some impact on your life.

I also found a fresh working solution for the obtrusive apps on my phone when I switched back from iPhone to Android this year. Every app that could evoke compulsive behavior goes to the so-called "secured folder" which I have set a password for. Finding this secure folder and having to use a password are enough barriers to not even think about checking Telegram for new messages (I have most notifications turned off). But it still keeps me flexible if I really need to access some of the apps for communication.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My days are so full that there’s no time for TV

I think this short, succinct statement sums it up. When you got a lot of stuff going on and your driven for a higher calling, the TV just isn't on the forefront of one's mind, unless it aligns with your purpose, or is just a short respite from everything else.

For instance, Ill check out the Super Bowl more-so for the advertising commercials than the actual game.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Meh..

TV is enjoyable. Everyone needs an escape and television is the simplest escape. $100MM productions brought to you for $10 a month.

I'd rather live the following life:
  • Watch TV all day everyday
than...
  • Read a book
  • Vacuum
  • Clean my room
  • Do the dishes
  • Make cookies
  • Write a goal
  • Write in my journal
The problem isn't TV - it's a lack of discipline. There's enough hours in a day to work, workout, spend time with your family, and unwind by watching something.

But if TV is coming at the cost of improving your life, then yeah, your approach was the right one.
I agree. It’s just a list of “things to do” other than watch TV.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
The scariest thing to me is wasting time with things I'm not even aware of.

An example would be what happens in your mind at any given moment.

Are you really making progress if your thoughts are negative or just in general un-productive?

A passive mind with no self-awareness or problem solving is the biggest waste of time because it will get you nowhere.

chuckypita

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Jul 16, 2017
Salt Lake City
It's not going to change anything unless you replace the time with something productive. That's the more important part .

Anyway, I started a blog last year instead of watching TV or vegging on the internet. Currently at about 10k pageviews per month and make a couple hundred dollars each month. It's not much, but it's a hobby that I enjoy AND is somewhat productive.

So that's my advice. Quit the TV. Just make sure to replace it with ACTION or you'll be at the exact same point.

I mean, if you call and close enough clients, then you can just hire a maid to clean your room and a cook to bake you cookies.

What's your blog?

chuckypita

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Jul 16, 2017
Salt Lake City
That language is indicative of a bigger problem.

Your problem isn't TV. Your problem is that you haven't internalized your locus of control, and that's because you aren't mentally focused enough. Think of it this way - you're trying to manage your time so that you have more time in the day. Okay....what for?

Instead of managing your time, manage your focus. What are you thinking about? If you're 100% focused on your purpose, you're going to naturally filter out anything that doesn't help you.

What does it say about you, if you need a sticky note to remind you not to watch TV? It means that you aren't consciously choosing your actions. Why is that? It's because you don't actually have a clear goal in mind.

Look at the note you wrote. Your alternate activities include: "Write a goal", "Call a potential client" and "Build something". What you ought to do is find your endpoint, make a list of every step you need to get there, and just get to work.

Presumably, you don't think it makes sense for you to watch TV until you've made your Fastlane exit. There's a simple solution then. Sell your tv.

I like your insights. Alot.

Part of the pink note was for me... and part was for my wife as well.

You're right about the clear goal in mind part. I like your suggestion "find your endpoint" - I appreciate that.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Oh no. Is today 2/3/19? The day of the super bowl?

Damn I missed it again. I miss it every single year.

I did go to the grocery store though. Great deals on the comfort foods most of us like for the big game. And the store was almost completely empty. Bonus there.

Oh well - there's always next year. If I don't have something more important to do. Last year I had to get a new trash bin for my office. It's always something keeping me away from the big game and the boob tube.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
I disagree. I spend time in Flow states during working hours so I need some brain fart TV to help me unwind.

Plus, watching interesting documentaries and funny comedies has an affect on the brain too. Think of Netflix shows and TED talks for levelling up your knowledge bank or hilarious 'dopamine droppers' like Family Guy.

Ying Yang, peeps. Ying Yang.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
And if there isn't then you need to get that balance back. I spent too many years working stupid hours and missing my kids growing up. All that gets you is regret.

Besides TV can provide an education as well as entertainment.

Elon Musk LOVES video games.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Plenty of eXtreme Fastlaners here.

Seriously, all things in moderation! No need to throw away the TV or throw the game console into the pool. There's nothing wrong with spending 1 hr a day every now and then, just before you sleep to wind down a little bit, or play some games / indulge in guilty pleasure.

I definitely do not want to live like an emotionless robot, like those items that AgainstAllOdds posted in post #15 above.

Ying Yang, peeps. Ying Yang.

Someone understands!

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
Plenty of eXtreme Fastlaners here.

Seriously, all things in moderation! No need to throw away the TV or throw the game console into the pool. There's nothing wrong with spending 1 hr a day every now and then, just before you sleep to wind down a little bit, or play some games / indulge in guilty pleasure.

I definitely do not want to live like an emotionless robot, like those items that AgainstAllOdds posted in post #15 above.

Someone understands!

But momma said that Tv is the devil

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Entrepreneur or Forbes (can't remember which one) recently posted an article about how all successful people "Wake up at 4am". JK Rowling, the richest author in history, replied "Oh, piss off" to that tweet.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
Entrepreneur or Forbes (can't remember which one) recently posted an article about how all successful people "Wake up at 4am". JK Rowling, the richest author in history, replied "Oh, piss off" to that tweet.

So what?

Sander

When in doubt, dare.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Mar 19, 2014
Meh..
The problem isn't TV - it's a lack of discipline. There's enough hours in a day to work, workout, spend time with your family, and unwind by watching something.

This.

It's not whether you own a TV or not that determines if you'll be successful.

It's not whether you wake up at 4 AM or 8 AM.

It's your discipline.

Early risers will have success.

Night owls will have success.

People with TV's will be succesful, and people without TV's will be succesful.

But focusing on topics like this have made self-help authors a crap lot of money.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
This.

It's not whether you own a TV or not that determines if you'll be successful.

It's not whether you wake up at 4 AM or 8 AM.

It's your discipline.

Early risers will have success.

Night owls will have success.

People with TV's will be succesful, and people without TV's will be succesful.

But focusing on topics like this have made self-help authors a crap lot of money.

Gamers have success too. Just ask Elon Musk, Ninja and anyone crushing e-sports.

There is no 'right way' to success. This is the biggest myth I've heard since I went solo in 2013 and it took me a long time to figure it out too.

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
I don't watch TV, but I've been known to binge read. If I am out and about (like waiting in a doctors office or in line), then I read. I always have books downloaded to both my phone and tablet. (Eagerly awaiting "Atomic Habits" from the library) I only have a few social media apps on my phone for business and all notifications are turned OFF.

I guess binge reading could be considered time wasting, but I'd rather know whodunnit than anything I could learn about the news or pop culture on any given day. It's not even that TV is a time waster. It's mostly trash.

Anyway, my point is that TV or not TV, the main thing is to have self discipline and control the quality of what is coming into your life via electronics.

qsilver000

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 18, 2019
There’s nothing innately wrong with a TV. It’s simply a tool to broadcast information. If you think you’re using the tool too much then fine go do something else. But as far as it being “garbage”, I’m gonna say that’s a stretch.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.