The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Giving up so soon?

Anything related to matters of the mind

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Tonight while waiting for footage to render (something anybody who makes videos knows a lot about) I pulled out my laptop and indulged in a favorite pastime-mining old threads for gold nuggets. Although I learned some specific things, what stuck out to me more than any one post were some dates on posts. I did some digging and collated the data from just four threads.

Have a gander at these four timelines:

At least 4 months, longer if prior attempts are considered.

At least 9 months

36 Months (!)

19 Months

What are these timelines? They are the amount of time between when @ChickenHawk @JasonR @Likwid24 and @Vick (in that order) began pursuing their current venture (and they were probably planning or thinking about it earlier than that), and their first major success, which I'm loosely defining as the transition of the project from uncertainty of serious, job-liberating success to realization of it as a viable possibility in reality.

Why care about this? Because it's mid January, a great time to talk about what happens when resolve crumbles.

Lots of ideas on here get "started" and then dropped a week later. Some make it a month or two before the first barrier comes, then they're dropped like a gym membership in February. I just want to remind you all of some of the barriers the people above faced:

Chickenhawk-Self-reported unsatisfactory reception in another genre before writing her novel, being a mother while trying to be a writer.

JasonR-Mentorship/Copycat debacle in the wake of podcast, other people in the space were already making a product like his before he even started, possible mentorship issues.

LikWid24-Major manufacturer was already in the space (unbeknownst to him), felt like quitting in the early stages because of difficulty and competition, had a very strenuous full-time job, flubbed a pitch line on national TV.

Vick-Complete circus of incompetence from his manufacturers overseas early on, had to deal with a deadbeat partner, received defective prototypes, had to take out loans.

Where would they be if they quit? In the same place they were the year before, back to square one, back to the drawing board.

Where are they now? LikWid just shipped out displays to every Home Depot in the country, sold out in the burbs of NYC in days. Chickenhawk sold nearly 400 books a day for over a month. JasonR's analytics are awesome, and Vick's revenues on Black Friday were mind blowing.

Think of everything they went through without giving up, and what you came up against in the past that made you give up. Maybe next time, you should think twice before you quit.

***And thanks to these four fastlaners for providing the inspiration for this post, please feel free to speak up if I made any mistakes***

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Perseverance is such an important concept to wrap your mind around. At some point along the way your mindset changes. Everything doesn't become easy, but obstacles don't look like obstacles any more. At that point you know you'll never give up, and you know you will have success. But until you reach that point, you have to persevere.

I'm incredibly thankful for the examples of perseverance on this forum. They prove that not giving up can truly make dreams come true. I wish there was some better way to explain this concept to young people - to explain the shift in mindset. It's something that has to be experienced, but until you reach that point, you have to persevere.

Saying you're in it to win it isn't enough.

I hope everyone starting out reads this thread and takes it to heart.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
At that point you know you'll never give up, and you know you will have success. But until you reach that point, you have to persevere.

I think this is the biggest gift that people on their second or third successful biz have. Like, I imagine when MJ was living on peanuts and writing code the first time, he was wondering "Can this work? Can I do it?" After the second buy-back "Hell yeah I can do it!" Makes all the difference in the world. In this picture:

don't+give+up+diamond+mine+image.jpg

You already know what's on the far side of the tunnel. You know you just have to push a little farther, and a little farther. Don't quit.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.