The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Give Thanks

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
For all you amateurs out there reading this, give thanks. If you are asking advise from someone who is much senior to you in expertise and experience, likely two things will happen when he responds to your query:

1. You don't understand the advise given because the gap between what you know and he knows is too large.

2. You don't like the advise he gave you because it contradicts your own conceptions built up over time.

This will likely rub you the wrong way, but you know what? You need to give thanks again. Why? Because over time the gap will shorten and it will start to make sense. If you give thanks from the start, he will likely continue to feed you valuable information, but if you snub him then he will likely cut you off and you will have wasted a valuable opportunity.

Give thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
For all you amateurs out there reading this, give thanks. If you are asking advise from someone who is much senior to you in expertise and experience, likely two things will happen when he responds to your query:

1. You don't understand the advise given because the gap between what you know and he knows is too large.

2. You don't like the advise he gave you because it contradicts your own conceptions built up over time.

This will likely rub you the wrong way, but you know what? You need to give thanks again. Why? Because over time the gap will shorten and it will start to make sense. If you give thanks from the start, he will likely continue to feed you valuable information, but if you snub him then he will likely cut you off and you will have wasted a valuable opportunity.

Give thanks.
Thanks @458.

We all know we should give to receive, but we don't realise the power of giving thanks.

Crossroads

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 31, 2016

Give thanks.
Yes, always give thanks... I'm still a toddler when it comes to Fastlane mentality, so I don't say a lot here yet. But I do say Thanks, @458, and to each person who posts here. You are all my silent mentors right now, a privilege for which I am so grateful. To be able to learn, and grow, even when many things are way over my head, is an unexpected gift I value. I look forward to giving back as I'm able. So I appreciate each of you. And a special Thanks to @MJ DeMarco for writing this book and creating a space here to bring us all together. :tiphat:

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
396%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
This will likely rub you the wrong way, but you know what? You need to give thanks again.
After you gave thanks, you...

...SHUT UP. And then you THINK. And. You Think AGAIN. And You Do It Once MORE.

Finally, You ONLY reply when you are READY for it.

Thank you for the reminder @458

;)

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Thanks @458 :tiphat:

Being thankful is not only a good attitude to have on here, it's one you should have in your whole life, no matter if in business or personal life.

If you'd like to be appreciated for who you are and what you do for others, start with appreciating others for them and their actions.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
I wish to thank @Vigilante, @Andy Black and @jon.a for giving me an opportunity to develop, either with their direct responses or with their posts in general.
If there is help needed - I'm lifetime available.

Last edited:

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany

Ultra Magnus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Oct 9, 2015
Thanks for the post, @458! To anyone reading, please also consider that time is the most valuable asset we have. People who respond with help to your queries take some of that precious time out of their lives just for you! This can be more valuable than money, and often leads to making money or taking action that gets you closer to making money. An sometimes it gets you much more than dollars. If people don't acknowledge the help they get, they aren't likely to receive more when they need it.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
A related thread that I HIGHLY recommend you read:

Here's what I posted in that thread:

How do you say thank you?

It's simple. You thank them, and you explain why you're thanking them. THAT demonstrates you thought of them.

Don't worry about what gifts to buy them, or whether to send referrals. If they're good at what they do, you should be sending referrals anyway. If you know their kids loves spiderman, then send a spiderman poster... not to say "Thank You", but because it's the nice thing to do.

One of the most precious gifts you can give is your attention. (See the second video below).

Do that and see what happens.

Let me give you an example.

I joined the forum about 18 months ago. Every time someone followed me, or gave me speed/rep, I sent a quick PM to thank them. When I wasn't on my phone, I'd look through their posts and try to find their introduction post. I'd ask them how they were getting on with XYZ that I'd read from their posts. (I do this less now as I've been getting a lot more follows... and I find it fiddly doing this on a mobile... but I'm going to go back to doing this from today).

What I always do, regardless of whether I've read their posts or not, is ask them how the year is going for them, or how they're finding the forum if they're new.

In case you're wondering, that's over 500 PM's I've had with fellow forum members in 18 months.

What am I gifting them with?

MY ATTENTION.

Do you want know how to get a business owner to talk to you?

Do you want to know...

"The One Simple Trick To Get Business Owners
To Reveal Their Innermost Problems To You?"

It's simple.

And I won't even sell you it for $47.

(drumroll)

Ask them how business is going.

WT?!?

Is that it Andy?

Why would that work?

Because no-one ever asks them how their business is going!

No-one else gives a sh*t.

They're all thinking about themselves, and what they can get out of the conversation. About what ideas they can "extract" (ouch), or what recurring problems they can find, so they can build a scalable solution that satisfies CENTS and can make them millions.

Ask because you genuinely care, not because you want something in return.

Give thanks because you genuinely care, not because you want something in return.

You'll be surprised how rare this is.

You'll be surprised how easy it is to stand out.

You'll be surprised the reaction you get.

I was... both surprised and humbled.

(You can read about it here.)

Videos as promised:

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Finally, here's why Giving Thanks is essential for entrepreneurs:

It makes you more referrable.

You're referrable because:
  1. You show up on time.
  2. You're polite - you say please and thank you (there it is!).
  3. You do what you say you'll do (or keep them informed why it's slipping).
  4. You're competent.
(Dan Sullivan)

It makes you more observant.

Didn't thank the waiter when they arrived with your food?

Too engrossed in your smartphone were you?

If you're too busy to observe someone helping you, then how the f*ck will you observe what help they need?

(Drops mic.)

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
saying thank you is the same thing than saying " i know you are worthy of praises "

as humans, we want to be loved and so on, this is human nature.

and we don't want to be bossed around by stupid people

for example :

law number 1 Never Outshine the Master

"Always make those above you feel comfortably superior. In your desire to please or impress them, do not go too far in displaying your talents or you might accomplish the opposite – inspire fear and insecurity. Make your masters appear more brilliant than they are and you will attain the heights of power."

from the 48 laws of power by Robert Greene.

i once saw a young colleague of mine looking down on our new boss because he didn't know that the man behind him was the new boss.

he was destroyed by the boss for daring to mistreat him.

i think, the boss told him about life's lesson and respect of autority in the office for about one hour !!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.