• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Atomic Habits by James Clear

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Atomic Habits, by James Clear (Review | Discuss)

How do you say thank you?

Discussion in 'Advertising, Marketing, Social Media' started by TextbookAnswers, Nov 13, 2015.

1. TextbookAnswers

TextbookAnswers Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $202
    What are some ways that you say thank you to your clients? i.e.
    • Thank you e-mail
    • Handwritten note
    • Thank you Gift
    • etc....

2. Mattie

Mattie Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $27,312
    I adopted the dutch approach. I wish you well and success. It sounds nice and about success. :)

CoolAV8R, Cyriex and TextbookAnswers like this.
  3. Omega

Omega Absolute dominationem vitae Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,747
    I took a whole course on Eschool on how to say thank you and what-not.I didn't learn anything and the course was awful.To the point,a thank you is a thank you.I don't think a "thank you" phrase is needed.As long as it sounds sincere and simple sometimes a regular thank you is fine.Or you could do what @Mattie does and modify the sentence.But,as long as you truly mean it and the person receiving the kind words understands that it's sincere you'll be fine.

4. Christiano

Christiano Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $565
    Sincerity with deliberate intent that demonstrates not says you thought of them.

Example: I had a client that was having a tough time investing in a resource who did not appreciate the opportunity. Inspired by the circumstance, I wrote a blog piece on "Defining Quality Resources by Discriminating Behavior."

I then sent her an email saying that she inspired the blog piece and here is the link - she was very grateful and told me she appreciated it.

The point is that if you truly want to express gratitude, it is best to demonstrate it through a thoughtful gesture relevant to the individual. Know people can read in-between the lines beyond what they are capable of articulating / communicating.

Hope this helps.

5. Ben Doyle

Ben Doyle Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $151
    In my wife's Pet Sitting business we thank our customers twice a year.

We make a record of the animals birthday then buy them presents and make a fuss of them and get the owners a card.

And at Christmas we do it all again. We get professional photos taken of their animals and frame those photos to give as presents.

Ben

Thomas Baptiste, TheCj, Scot and 3 others like this.
  6. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $170,962
    Wow. What a coincidence. I've literally just uploaded a video to thank @SinisterLex here.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2018
    CoolAV8R and Vigilante like this.
  7. Musky Hunter

Musky Hunter New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $26
    I have found that referrals are the sincerest form of gratitude but any of the avenues that you listed work great.

Cyriex likes this.
  8. TextbookAnswers

Rep Bank:
    $202
    Haha - it was awful. That sucks when information products disappoint.

9. TextbookAnswers

Rep Bank:
    $202
    That reminds of the time that I wrote an article for Dan Kennedy's Marketing Letter in April. A person out of the blue thanked me for writing it and went on to say that he used the article in his upcoming blog post. Nonetheless, he praised me for it.

To your point, I was not 100% sure his thanks were sincere, or that he wanted to increase the chances that I would be ok with the way he used the article. I mean he "REALLY" used the article. But he thanked me....

GuestUser155 likes this.
  10. TextbookAnswers

Rep Bank:
    $202
    Referrals are awesome.

Cyriex likes this.
  11. Cyriex

Cyriex Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,913
    I hang around certain circles that have a lot of the rich among them ($1MM at least + net worth) and the trend I see and what I've been told, is this. What do you give somebody that already has everything? Books or a reading recommendation. In these circles, that's a simple gesture of a thank you. Obviously you can start doing this early on. Ex. I'd personally never recommend a useful book like TMF to somebody I don't like or didn't help me somewhere.

Just a thought.

GuestUser155 and Kingmaker like this.
  12. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $170,962
    How do you thank people?

^^^ This.

Demonstrate you thought of them.

Show, don't tell.

Did you watch the video I linked to earlier? Here, I'll post it below so you don't have to click through, although I recommend you click-through anyway and read @SinisterLex 's response to my thank you.

The video is only two and a half minutes long, and I explain how to thank people too (bonus!).

It's simple. You thank them, and you explain why you're thanking them. THAT demonstrates you thought of them.

Don't worry about what gifts to buy them, or whether to send referrals. If they're good at what they do, you should be sending referrals anyway. If you know their kids loves spiderman, then send a spiderman poster... not to say "Thank You", but because it's the nice thing to do.

One of the most precious gifts you can give is your attention. (See the second video below).

Do that and see what happens.

Let me give you an example.

I joined the forum about 18 months ago. Every time someone followed me, or gave me speed/rep, I sent a quick PM to thank them. When I wasn't on my phone, I'd look through their posts and try to find their introduction post. I'd ask them how they were getting on with XYZ that I'd read from their posts. (I do this less now as I've been getting a lot more follows... and I find it fiddly doing this on a mobile... but I'm going to go back to doing this from today).

What I always do, regardless of whether I've read their posts or not, is ask them how the year is going for them, or how they're finding the forum if they're new.

In case you're wondering, that's over 500 PM's I've had with fellow forum members in 18 months.

What am I gifting them with?

MY ATTENTION.

Do you want know how to get a business owner to talk to you?

Do you want to know...

"The One Simple Trick To Get Business Owners
    To Reveal Their Innermost Problems To You?"

It's simple.

And I won't even sell you it for $47.

(drumroll)

Ask them how business is going.

WT?!?

Is that it Andy?

Why would that work?

Because no-one ever asks them how their business is going!

No-one else gives a sh*t.

They're all thinking about themselves, and what they can get out of the conversation. About what ideas they can "extract" (ouch), or what recurring problems they can find, so they can build a scalable solution that satisfies CENTS and can make them millions.

Ask because you genuinely care, not because you want something in return.

Give thanks because you genuinely care, not because you want something in return.

You'll be surprised how rare this is.

You'll be surprised how easy it is to stand out.

You'll be surprised the reaction you get.

I was... both surprised and humbled.

(You can read about it here.)

Videos as promised:

Neng Her, Invictus, Bananas and 8 others like this.
  13. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $170,962
    This is a great example of how to say Thank You by @juggler619 to @Vigilante

Posted here. Check out @Vigilante 's reply to see the effect a heart-felt and *thoughtful* thank you has on the recipient.

YoungPadawan and Vigilante like this.
  14. TextbookAnswers

Rep Bank:
    $202

By far the best advice anyone can give regarding selling ( in my opinion ). Thanks! @Andy Black.

Andy Black likes this.
  15. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $170,962
    @Vigilante thanks @MJ DeMarco

Here's a great example of a heartfelt, thoughtful, well written, and damn inspiring thank you note.

It was posted here. Notice how much the thanks means to MJ from his response a few posts on.

Still think @Vigilante needs to send a cuddly toy?

Seriously, go read the whole thread. @Vigilante explains how to really thank MJ, and anyone who's trying to help you improve your life.

GuestUser155, TeflonDon, Supa and 2 others like this.
  16. Supa

Supa Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream. Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,839
    Just had an awesome convo with @Andy Black, and he asked me to post my message to him publicly for you guys. Of course I'm following his wish :)

"Hey Andy, I hope everything is fine?

Shortly after joining in July last year you asked me how my 2015 is panning out for me, my respose at that time was "2015 been an important year to me so far." At that time I just started working on my business and finally putting TMF into action, but thinking back to that day, it really amazes me how much can change in that (relative) short amount of time. Now that we're in 2016 I can't help but think about how much I changed in those 6 months.

I just wanted to take a few minutes to thank you. Thinking back, TMF is actually the starting point and the mindset, but I'm not sure if I would have implented anything of it without this forum. I probably would have given up in front of the first bigger obstacle, without this place.

I turned from a lazy wantrepreneur who just wanted to watch as many episodes of Game of Thrones in one day as possible, who wanted to sleep until afternoon on the weekends, who wanted to "start tomorrow" because it was too comfortable laying in bed all day; into developping GOOD habits, habits that made me dislike most of my old habits, that made me literally hate partying and drinking, that made me dislike sleeping until afternoon (except if I'm up all night working on my business), that made me dislike laying in bed doing nothing.

I now spend the time I used to do all the things I now dislike, working on my business. And nothing else feels better. I formed those habits by taking real action and making good choices, and now those habits create real action and good choices.

I'm still far from being successful, but I know that the new me can and eventually will be successful. I'm not talking about how awesome I am, but how awesome this forum and its valuable members (like you) are. TMF and this place turned my life into a life with goals worth pursuing and worth living for, not just that, it made me take real action. You are a big part of this, so thank you again! Everytime that I get an alert that you, Vig, MJ or any other great contributor on here likes one of my posts gives me that feeling of heading into the right direction :)

It wasn't planned to end being that much of a text, it's just kinda hard to put those thoughts into less words. I hope you can forgive me for that big amount of text, and all those "I"s in it, since it's not about me, but more about how much this place has changed me and many others :)

To finish this text, how did your 2015 pan out in the end?"

17. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $170,962
    Bump, because this thread makes me feel all warm inside.

18. Bananas

Bananas Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,324
    Hey Andy, how is your business going?

Andy Black likes this.
  19. devine

devine Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $620
    We have not a single "Thank you" neither in our emails, our writings, our personal cards, or anywhere else.
    Now think yourself why.

(hint: nobody gives a f*ck.)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  20. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $170,962
    Oops. I never replied. I hope you're still active @Bananas, so I can say Thank You for asking (over two years late). It's going good thanks. I'm still here, chipping away.

YoungPadawan likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.