The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

For those who haven't made a sale yet...

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
If I was to 100% restart today with zero knowledge, cash, or ideas, I would steal @biophase gummy bear/art idea that was detailed in the thread and just get something going using the framework that Lex has provided.

In my experience, taking that first step and getting something out there for people to buy is the hardest part. Once you do that, the experience begins to pile up and the next steps start to become clear.

Heck, I'm a few years into this and that thread kicked my a$$ into overdrive. It's a goldmine!
Lol, guess what I made today? I guess need to list them for sale to prove it to the naysayers. There’s $100 profit in this pic. 10 minutes of work.

B11B0D02-C768-4028-A9C2-95BCD06E4FDD.jpeg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I will do Instagram... Just 2 years from now...

Have you taken into the fact that Instagram's reach is getting worse each day, and that the fitness niche there is already overloaded and oversaturated with all kinds of fitness sub-niches you can think of?

What if something happens to Meta, seeing as their company is increasingly in deep **** nowadays and their golden days are over?

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I was saying it makes sense to pursue bodybuilding now as you don’t much time left.
He has at least 9 years. Bodybuilders don't peak until 32. 32-35 Is their Prime time.

This dude is actually too young for the success he wants. He says his plan is 2 years, but actually it's 6. Which only makes everyone else's points way more valid.

I don't even have a car so I couldn't start my own general handyman service

Wow.

You guys are speaking to a brick wall. I know you have good intentions and I appreciate the effort, but as it seems, it's a worthless effort.

And this is the dude that called me annoying?

I obsess over that as it's all I've got. That's my all or nothing.

The is the downside of what @Black_Dragon43 calls ruthlessness.

Here are just a few ideas to get you a car, save you time, get you more time with the wife at the very least.

You mentioned handyman skills. Cool. Handyman in any city are easy leads to get, because of good handyman is always busy they never answer their phone.

Create a one page website for "Ottawa Handyman". Run a Google ad campaign. Get phone calls. Give quotes over the phone.

Take an Uber to the job site, price it into your quote. Start earning between $300-$1k a day. Watch your YouTube videos on the drive.

Buy yourself a car as quickly as you can. Start charging more because you'll be able to bring better tools to the job site. You'll be more professional.

You'll be making more moula.

You can still have YouTube going on your phone while you're driving. You don't have to watch the video, you just have to listen right?

Start cherry picking jobs Like all handyman do. Pretty soon you only got to put in 5 hours for something that used to take you 8. That gives you more hours to train. You'll get home earlier.

You want to be a bodybuilder, you got to sell sponsorships right? What are you waiting for? Sign up as a brand ambassador. Tons of places out there will give you a little vig of anything that you sell. Clothing brands. Health brands. You just got to apply and then convince people to purchase the product. You could be a walking billboard.

I know that isn't necessarily a business, but it's more revenue in your pocket to do the same exact thing you're doing now. Talking to people at the gym.

And since you will have a vehicle, you can now carry around supplements and creatine powder and stuff. So when you're in the gym and people are complimenting you on how you're doing, tell them what you take, and then offer to sell them a pack of it for starters.

You will be making more money. You will have more time for your wife. You will have more time for your dream.

You can watch your YouTube videos at home instead of "on some job".

Before you even quit your job, build your website, and run the ads. Just listen to the phone calls that you'll get. If I'm wrong, you'll only be out a couple hundred dollars tops. But if I'm right, you're going to have a lot happier of a wife. And you're going to find it a lot easier to achieve your dreams.

And by the way, I am right. In two years you could have handyman working for you, and someone else answer the phones. I'll bet you're not the only personal trainer with handyman skills. Personal trainers often need to "supplement" their income. (Come on, that's a good double entendre.)

You could have a business that pays your family nicely.

And you could literally spend all day in the gym, recruiting handymen, pimping your own line of supplements that you developed yourself, and chasing the dream.

Hulk out bro.

Last edited:

Skroob

Entrepreneur // Mobile Application Developer
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Feb 18, 2022
Jacksonville, FL
It's that I'm not my version of ready, as foolish as that sounds. I care so much about being my version of ready on something I'm convinced would work that I'm willing to wait 2 years for it.
My man, this is the exact rut me and so many others in this thread are trying to shake you out of. What’s another two years going to do for you? you’ll either get there and wish you’d started two years earlier, or you’ll get there and you’ll still be two years away from starting.

G

Guest931Xfjyx

Do you have a concrete goal of when you will start? It should be a weight in a certain body fat percentage I would think.
I'm sure you haven't read everything of what I've said, and since I've said so much, often repeatedly, I'd never expect you to. I keep saying "2 years" but that isn't the real metric I'm using to gauge when I will start. You did accurately guess the metric I'll be using before I start though. I have a certain weight class I'd like to get to before I start. I never said precisely what as I knew I'd be tore a new one for that. I think it will take me 2 years to get to that weight class. Could I start before then? Yes. Do I wish to? Unfortunately not.

We can come back to this post in exactly 2 years to see if I’m wrong.
I'm more than convinced I will prove you wrong.

You want a better job that pays more but you don’t want to learn any new skills. If you don’t want to physically demanding job, so you have more time at the gym, then you will have to get a job that requires your brain. Which means you need to learn something new which you don’t have time for. I guess we are just going around in circles.
I have plenty of free-time on-the-job as a Security Guard. Let's just call it a free 8 hours to build any kind of internet-based business. How could I be better using that time? As of right now all I do is read/write/watch/overplan on bodybuilding all 8 hours of every day.

Honestly, this is the scariest sentence that you have written in my opinion. What if nobody hires you?
Then I resign my life over to being a Security Guard presumably? I don't have this fear whatsoever. If I'm a national competitor, or hell, ever even a pro, I'm more than convinced I'd have a lot of clientele. It would only take me 11 online clients charged at $200USD a month to entirely replace my current 7-day-a-week income from my job.

Have you taken into the fact that Instagram's reach is getting worse each day, and that the fitness niche there is already overloaded and oversaturated with all kinds of fitness sub-niches you can think of?

What if something happens to Meta, seeing as their company is increasingly in deep **** nowadays and their golden days are over?
Okay, then I use whichever new form of social media everyone migrates to. It's not hard to watch where the industry transitions. Don't think online coaching is going anywhere as a whole.

You mentioned handyman skills. Cool. Handyman in any city are easy leads to get, because of good handyman is always busy they never answer their phone.

Create a one page website for "Ottawa Handyman". Run a Google ad campaign. Get phone calls. Give quotes over the phone.

Take an Uber to the job site, price it into your quote. Start earning between $300-$1k a day. Watch your YouTube videos on the drive.
You know @BizyDad I agree with you. I do have a small amount of construction experience. Particularly drywall/framing/flooring installation. Any of those could be made into a viable local business, especially if I advertise on facebook/craigslist/kijiji and the like. Surpassing my minimum wage income seems feasible as well. It's all just a matter of actually saving to buy a car and the tools for said gig. This is actually the advice my father has preached to me since I was about 10 years old. He works as a flooring installer and has ever since I was born. He does like 1 gig a month and pulls in $5000 in a few days and then does nothing for the rest of the month. Repeats that throughout the year. He used to be much more ambitious but that's how he keeps afloat now. I have the knowledge of how to start this, and how to do the job, but yeah I simply haven't. I don't have any excuse for this one. You caught me there. But I also don't find a problem with where I'm currently at if it still pays the bills and allows me to pursue my bodybuilding ambition that I'm convinced I will start in 2 years time. Everyone but me seems as if it's urgent that I start now.

My man, this is the exact rut me and so many others in this thread are trying to shake you out of. What’s another two years going to do for you? you’ll either get there and wish you’d started two years earlier, or you’ll get there and you’ll still be two years away from starting.
I really will start in 2 years. I'll have to prove that with actions. The actual metric was guessed correctly above.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skroob

Entrepreneur // Mobile Application Developer
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Feb 18, 2022
Jacksonville, FL
It would only take me 11 online clients charged at $200USD a month to entirely replace my current 7-day-a-week income from my job.
Can't you do that now? Why do you need a specific body fat percentage before you feel like you're ready? At least you can start!

I feel terrible for you, you have all the pieces in place but you want take the smallest step forward because you have this limiting belief that you need to hit some arbitrary number.

I promise you, you do not need it. You are likely in better shape than 99% of people out there. You. Are. Ready. And you to not need permission from anyone, including me.

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
Can't you do that now? Why do you need a specific body fat percentage before you feel like you're ready? At least you can start!

I feel terrible for you, you have all the pieces in place but you want take the smallest step forward because you have this limiting belief that you need to hit some arbitrary number.

I promise you, you do not need it. You are likely in better shape than 99% of people out there. You. Are. Ready. And you to not need permission from anyone, including me.
And to add to this.
If you want to have clients who you coach online to improve their fitness, wouldn't you want to help them ASAP instead of in 2 year time?
They could be dead in 2 years from obesity and all the issues associated with it such as diabetes, heart issues, or suicide which you could have helped starting today. It's not all about you.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
But I also don't find a problem with where I'm currently at if it still pays the bills and allows me to pursue my bodybuilding ambition.

I can't help but notice that time spent your with your wife is not a priority in this comment. She must be a long suffering woman.

So maybe I approached it wrong. If more date nights isn't motivation enough...

Less time on the job does mean more time in the gym. More money in your pocket means better supplements. Better food.

Maybe you can afford to live in a bigger place. With a home gym. No need to spend 3 hours on a bus anymore.

It would mean being able to buy a car for Pete's sakes.

But you'd rather live a 7:00 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. grind. And you don't have a problem with that even when there's a better way.

Somehow, someway, you are too comfortable.

Your current life satisfies you.

There is a way out of my current situation and it falls on me to solve how to get out, I just can't see it yet.

I took away this excuse.

Now what do you have?

We're complete opposites.

No you're not. Your response to me proves you're not.

It would only take me 11 online clients charged at $200USD per month to entirely replace my full-time 7-day-a-week job.

I pay my trainer $800/mo for 3 one hour long sessions a week. You can't find three guys like me in all of Ottawa? Do you have to wait 2 years to find THREE GUYS LIKE ME?!?!

My trainer doesn't even have Instagram. And I've already sent him two other customers.

What's your excuse again?

-----

Imagine training a really truly hard working guy, and watching him get zero results. He swears he's getting stronger though. But you know he's not. You know there's something under the surface that isn't right.

When you dig a little deeper you find out his diet is crap.

And every time you point out his diet is crap. His friends tell him his diet is crap. His dad tells him his diet is crap, but his dad's diet is crap too. Other trainers have told him his diet is crap.

He doesn't listen to anybody though. He's too stubborn. He's not going to give up pizza and beer every night. He likes pizza and beer, cuz he doesn't have to spend time on meal prep or actual cooking and can just sit back and watch YouTube videos instead.

And he says to you, I'm just not ready to eat healthy. I'll start eating healthy IN TWO YEARS, because that's my plan.

Until then, I'm comfortable in my life.

Keep training me @JLE

That guy obviously knows more than his trainer does, because it's his life right? So he's right, right?

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Weird.

I have been looking at that thread and considered going for it but I have been ping ponging between just getting that first sale projects and going back to working on the SaaS all the time.

When I played the thought, I couldn't find a product that I could create. Been through this many times. The thing I can think of is a tour through different technology stacks and invidigual technologies for Indie Hackers ... and creating the example projects alone would cost me 2 years min. Trying to find something smaller that I know has value I keep running into walls.

The next hurdle is setting up the payment processing. Mentioning WooCommerce is one thing, then there is the draw the rest of the F*cking owl part.
I have looked into the Stripe API and getting the products set up and the invoices to comply with the law is yet another wall.

Tau Ceti

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Sep 15, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
I have many ideas that I know could be worth a lot, but I find no way to bootstrap any because I can't find an appealing feature set for an MVP that can be developed on the side. Figuring out payment processing that complies with all the laws is one of the hurdles that makes me want to kill myself.

1.) My day job that takes up 8h + each work day
2.) I would want that guy to pull the trigger, my life sucks
3.) I am mostly a ghost, at work I am tolerated as a cog in the software development machine
4.) Hire people who are smarter than I am and who can tame complexity - but not sure I would be able to sell my vision
I just wanted to let you know in case that you are still struggling with the payment processor, that there are services out there that handle all the tax compliance for you. I don't want to hijack the thread but if someone is interested I happy to share the one I use for my SaaS. ( I am not affiliated and I don't get a commission if you sign up)

It's called a merchant of records and they take a higher commission on the sale (5%) but they deal with all the taxes and GST, collection on your behalf so you can focus on selling and not complying with the laws.

Happy to share in private or here (although this is not the purpose of this thread)

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Then I resign my life over to being a Security Guard presumably? I don't have this fear whatsoever. If I'm a national competitor, or hell, ever even a pro, I'm more than convinced I'd have a lot of clientele. It would only take me 11 online clients charged at $200USD a month to entirely replace my current 7-day-a-week income from my job.

I think it is just painful for us to read about a 25 year old kid that wants to work 7 days a week for the next 2 years for $25k a year, in order for the chance to make $100k/yr as a personal trainer.

It’s just such a low reward, high output bet. It just doesn’t sit right with the audience here. It just feels like everything is so backwards.

I really hope you prove us wrong in 2025-2026.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
People here don't seem to truly understand JLE's true concern after all these pages.

The gist of his trouble is that if he stops training even for just an hour and use that time to throw up a one pager site, it'll make his muscles shrink and physique shrink. This is a very real disorder that affects a lot of people who gym. This is a psychological issue and not so much of a physical one (there's no shrinking of muscles identifiable by the naked human eye if you don't gym for 3 days). If you're the regular gym goer, I'm sure you've started worrying about losing your gains and your muscles shrinking visibily after 2 days of no gyming. Let's be honest.

The solution for him is not to make more phone calls or pivot. It's to reassure him that he'll still look awesome even if he reduces his gyming by 20% and that he'll look much better than 99% of the human population.

Last edited:

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 29, 2021
In the meantime, here's some questions for you to ponder:

1) What currently keeps a roof over your head?

2) What do people already come to you for help with?

3) If someone had a gun to your head and said you need to make a sale this week then what would you do?

4) If money was no object what work would you be doing?
1. Not a what though. I still leave with my parents
2. Nothing really
3. Try out sending cold emails containing a problem I found with their website.
4. I have no idea. My interests at this point seem to have died. I no longer create 3d models or create games.

For those who haven't made a sale yet, reply below with what you're struggling with.
I'm struggling with getting web design clients.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 29, 2021
What have you tried and how has it worked out?
I have tried reaching out to people I know, cold calling, cold emailing and LinkedIn.

I got 1 project from reaching out and nothing came after.

I had no success with cold calling.

I got some response from cold emailing but was never able to get on the call. One painful moment was when someone gave me his number to call him the next day but I was going to travel by then.

Someone reached out to me on LinkedIn asking me for works I have done and how much it will cost. I told him $1000 then later on he told me that he is concerned that my price was too low compared to others so he is worried that I won't do a good job. Lesson learnt.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I have tried reaching out to people I know, cold calling, cold emailing and LinkedIn.

I got 1 project from reaching out and nothing came after.

I had no success with cold calling.

I got some response from cold emailing but was never able to get on the call. One painful moment was when someone gave me his number to call him the next day but I was going to travel by then.

Someone reached out to me on LinkedIn asking me for works I have done and how much it will cost. I told him $1000 then later on he told me that he is concerned that my price was too low compared to others so he is worried that I won't do a good job. Lesson learnt.
Have you asked any friends if they know anyone who may need a website?

When I tried doing web design for a bit I asked my friends if they knew anyone who needed a website. Surprisingly one of my friends' parents needed a website and they ended up being my first clients.

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 29, 2021
I have asked them. It's part of the reaching out I did

Boogie

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 27, 2014
Midwest, USA
A way to get going if you're having trouble if you want to sell a service is to look at other social media venues where you can make an offer or respond when someone says they're looking for something.

For example, a kid in my area offered to do power washing posted on nextdoor. Was it a stunning ad requiring lots of copywriting knowledge showing benefits over features? Did it require a high tech payment management system and a website to get going? NO.

"I’m a 16 year old student at XXXXXXXXXX highschool I am looking for driveways and other parts outside of peoples house to power wash if you are interested let me know"

He had 8 or 9 people people who contacted him on nextdoor telling him they're interested. That's likely enough to build out a chunk of a service business for the summer. Get referrals. Mow, clean, whatever. Make a post linking to pictures of what you did. Get more buyers. Offer other services if needed.

If a 16 year old can do it with a simple post, don't overthink it.

There are also people posting who are looking for recommendations for window washing, lawn services, landscaping services, car repair, drywall repair, painting, moving, dentists, all kinds of things. You can reply to people in your area. You might make a connection. They are active buyers.

I mentioned nextdoor because it's social. Some of this can be done on facebook or craigslist. Just different ways to skin a cat.

Just a thought

G

Guest931Xfjyx

I think it is just painful for us to read about a 25 year old kid that wants to work 7 days a week for the next 2 years for $25k a year, in order for the chance to make $100k/yr as a personal trainer.

It’s just such a low reward, high output bet. It just doesn’t sit right with the audience here. It just feels like everything is so backwards.

I really hope you prove us wrong in 2025-2026.
I did say I have plenty of free-time during the 8 hours I work in Security. That's 8 hours for 7 days a week. I know you do e-com, and that'd be on the internet and wouldn't interfere with the remainder of my schedule. Do you have any threads I absolutely should read concerning e-com? I'm willing to do anything online as I have the free time whilst I'm at work. Something like that doesn't seem like it'd greatly detract from the gym.

This is a psychological issue and not so much of a physical one (there's no shrinking of muscles identifiable by the naked human eye if you don't gym for 3 days).
I don't believe in stagnation. You're either progressing or regressing. I don't miss days.

--------------------------

I really don't wish to keep going on saying why I won't start now. I do have a plan in place. Albeit not a great one but a plan I'm convinced is achievable...

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
251%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
I am probably in an emotional state where I should not write such a comment, but the whole JLE vs the world discussion is really getting to me.

It is so easy to say the issue are excuses and that it is a mindset issue. My whole experience with mindset is that it is a result of your circumstances.
Yanking your mindset elsewhere gets you excited for 10 seconds and you are back in the gutter once reality catches up again.

The suggestions I see here are non actionable bs advice. All I see is virtue signalling, nobody who really takes the profound issues seriously.
Have you read Tiny Habits by BJ Fogg?
If you implement the advice correctly (which isn't too hard since it's literally step-by-step) you can easily build good habits and make bad habits harder or remove them completely.

It's that kind of book that gets people out of a rut since it doesn't rely on extraordinary willpower or motivation.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I really don't wish to keep going on saying why I won't start now. I do have a plan in place. Albeit not a great one but a plan I'm convinced is achievable...
Is there any other business/revenue stream you could create in the meantime?

G

Guest931Xfjyx

Is there any other business/revenue stream you could create in the meantime?
Hi Andy,

I'm 100% willing to start anything online. I have practically all day at my Security Guard job to be doing something in the meantime. I could be working at my 9-to-5 whilst I'm working on an online business or producing some sort of additional income, but again, I'm not sure what.

I'm happy to try e-com, cold-email for copywriting services, anything really. Don't know where to begin with this.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Have you read Tiny Habits by BJ Fogg?
If you implement the advice correctly (which isn't too hard since it's literally step-by-step) you can easily build good habits and make bad habits harder or remove them completely.

It's that kind of book that gets people out of a rut since it doesn't rely on extraordinary willpower or motivation.
Have not heard of it and would have to see the specifics, but I am trying GoalSumo.com for habits and the issue is that there is always just complete chaos in my mind and no clarity emerges. Don't feel like I am able to get any closer to a launch, almost as if I am stuck in the mud.

I can numb my feelings for a while and stick to a plan, but after a while I can reliably expect the next breakdown.

Based on the ChatGPT summary I am doing a lot of it. Habits don't seem to be a problem, but I have clocked a lot of hours and I can't figure out reasonable steps towards the launch of a product. I am completely lost there.

FAREED

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Mar 10, 2023
N
I would learn all python in a week and make an app and whip my a$$ to sell to just one person.

Or

I would write another book. But this doesn't add up because publishing as yet isn't mostly in my power.
There's a publisher now taking forever with my manuscript. It sucks. The waiting.

I need to think of other things maybe. It is a wall.
Its not a wall that your publisher is taking forever with your manuscript. That was a choice you made to go with that publisher. Solution is very simple. Find another publisher. You are wasting precious time by allowing someone else to steer your life. Take charge and drive your own car to success. If the publishers are the problem...why not just become a publisher yourself.. Stop consuming and start producing. Fastlane 101 dah!!

UK_Mike

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 10, 2020
North West UK
1. Savings and investment returns.
2. Infrequent metal bits for old cars, infrequent software mods to systems I've been involved with for 20+ years which are unfortunately declining in numbers now.
3. Sell something I already have, but it's easy to sell one thing and I suspect you meant something I'd create to sell.
4. Hmm.

To expand:

I finished "proper" work in 2011, made redundant so that gave me a bit of a lump sum, but I have been paranoid about being suddenly out of work since about 1991 and have been saving bits of money up since then. I haven't been sitting in an empty room staring at the wall for all that time, but I haven't been off buying expensive things and experiences so the pile has built up. At my age I sometimes look back and wish I'd done more stuff, had more experiences to look back on, but didn't miss it at the time and can't change the past.

I'd love to not be worrying about money, but even if I had loads of it, I'm still not sure I'd be off eating out every day, taking expensive holidays, buying expensive cars. I don't think I have the ability to just spend money without thinking about it. I'd love to find out. Compared to some people, I _do_ have loads of it, and certainly while it's annoying that everything is going up in price, I'm not choosing between eating or heating like some are, I won't be visiting the food bank, though I haven't really been donating to it either. But I'm also not tempted to buy a Bentley GT anytime soon, because I'd be forever worrying about something expensive going wrong. I'd be worried about that even if I had £x000 coming in every week, it's just the way my mind works.

I've often thought that puts me at a disadvantage here, because I'm not hungry enough to need to get on with creating something that will pay. I've been in similar situations a couple of times at my last job - we started two sidelines which never really went anywhere, and I wonder if the competitors were more successful because it was literally all they did, where our business had another more profitable side and it wasn't the end of the world when we just shut the sidelines down - no-one was homeless or jobless, we just went back to the main job.

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 29, 2021
At this point, think I will just create a saas.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 29, 2021
Cool.

How will you make your first sale?
The saas idea I got came from my web design journey so I understand the pain. These are the things I could try out:

1. I can message freelancers on LinkedIn and ask them if they are interested in the software.
2. Join groups, provide value and generate awareness about what I'm building and possibly build an email list off it.
3. Join betalist and producthunt ship
4. Share my progress in indiehackers

Problem right now is that I haven't code in a long time (I used WordPress to create sites).

So I'm thinking of using Bubble.io first then coding it later.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The saas idea I got came from my web design journey so I understand the pain. These are the things I could try out:

1. I can message freelancers on LinkedIn and ask them if they are interested in the software.
2. Join groups, provide value and generate awareness about what I'm building and possibly build an email list off it.
3. Join betalist and producthunt ship
4. Share my progress in indiehackers

Problem right now is that I haven't code in a long time (I used WordPress to create sites).

So I'm thinking of using Bubble.io first then coding it later.
Can you start today? Can you get interest and/or a sale this coming week?

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
I have many ideas that I know could be worth a lot, but I find no way to bootstrap any because I can't find an appealing feature set for an MVP that can be developed on the side. Figuring out payment processing that complies with all the laws is one of the hurdles that makes me want to kill myself.

1.) My day job that takes up 8h + each work day
2.) I would want that guy to pull the trigger, my life sucks
3.) I am mostly a ghost, at work I am tolerated as a cog in the software development machine
4.) Hire people who are smarter than I am and who can tame complexity - but not sure I would be able to sell my vision

Wake up brother.

Fastlaners eat difficulty for breakfast.
We do not care how bad things are. We do what we want and we create the reality that we envision.

Most of us have hit a very hard and painful rock bottom, at least once in our lives.
This is a great thing, because rock is a solid foundation, and you can only go up from there.

The life you think you are living is the bullshit story that you keep telling yourself as to why things are the way they are and why you cannot be successful.

But you've repeated it enough times that you think it's reality.
It is not.

It's a made up imaginary story you have cooked up in your head.

You have the freedom to do anything you want and be anything you want. But years of lying and self-deception have blinded you from seeing reality as it actually is.

If you have a roof over your head, food, water, and internet connection, you have all the tools and resources at your disposal to build anything you can imagine.

The only one that is stopping you from doing it is yourself.

In the game of life, the final boss is you.

Conquer this monster, and you have the freedom to do anything you can possibly imagine.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.