The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

For anyone with a sales team, do you find it overwhelming having to manage your employees?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Harry Waywell

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Dec 9, 2019
Warrington UK
It can be a big task to manage your team, some of us fall into the trap of micromanagement and just generally don't know how to handle the stress of team management. Is this something you experience? Let's discuss.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
No direct experience but people here advise Rules of Conduct files that describe what and how should be done.
I think it could be good reference when something was done or not done by employee.
And it would leave managing time for the undescribed issues and edge cases freeing from micromanagement.

Harry Waywell

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Dec 9, 2019
Warrington UK
No direct experience but people here advise Rules of Conduct files that describe what and how should be done.
I think it could be good reference when something was done or not done by employee.
And it would leave managing time for the undescribed issues and edge cases freeing from micromanagement.
Makes sense. Thanks. Do you ever experience feeling overwhelmed in other areas like scaling, taxes, or general over working?

AmericanSpartan

Warrior Monk
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 20, 2016
Westfield, IN
It can be a big task to manage your team, some of us fall into the trap of micromanagement and just generally don't know how to handle the stress of team management. Is this something you experience? Let's discuss.

What specifically about managing your team is frustrating to you or causing stress? What has taken up most of your mental energy over the past week? (Anyone struggling to lead a team can reply to this question.)

Last edited:

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
What specifically about managing your team is frustrating to you or causing stress? What has taken up most of your mental energy over the past week? (Anyone struggling to lead a team can reply to this question.)
It's all bait.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I'll chime in. I used to find it overwhelming. Now I find it empowering.

What's changed?

First off, I spent last year changing my attitude and becoming a better leader. More on that here.

I also became better at hiring. I still need to improve here. To keep starting salaries lower, I used to hire people with raw ability, like people making a career change. I pay better now than I used to, and I get better candidates. I can afford more experience. (I prefer salary + bonus structure to straight commissions for my business.)

I am creating training materials and reference guides for all my jobs. Definite time saver.

I have senior staff training new folks, so it isn't all on me. And they appreciate the added responsibility (mostly) as they feel like they are adding to their skills. Sometimes the messaging isn't how I want it so there's some improvement we can make, but it is a night and day difference to my stress levels.

I also streamlined my oversight. I did the thing I always dreaded. I have regularly scheduled team meetings.

Lastly, I just calmed down about the whole process. I used to micro manage if I felt someone wasn't getting it. Now, I do better at watching from afar, checking in via the meetings, I have dashboards to watch the stats, and having my team aid in the guidance and correction of the team.

I probably still give too many chances for a bad fit to work itself out, but ultimately if someone isn't working out, I let them go.

I used to fear letting them go after I invested so much time in training, but since my candidates come in more experienced, and since we've improved our training, it doesn't take too long for someone to "get up to speed".

Hope this helps...

AmericanSpartan

Warrior Monk
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 20, 2016
Westfield, IN
I'll chime in. I used to find it overwhelming. Now I find it empowering.

What's changed?

First off, I spent last year changing my attitude and becoming a better leader. More on that here.

I also became better at hiring. I still need to improve here. To keep starting salaries lower, I used to hire people with raw ability, like people making a career change. I pay better now than I used to, and I get better candidates. I can afford more experience. (I prefer salary + bonus structure to straight commissions for my business.)

I am creating training materials and reference guides for all my jobs. Definite time saver.

I have senior staff training new folks, so it isn't all on me. And they appreciate the added responsibility (mostly) as they feel like they are adding to their skills. Sometimes the messaging isn't how I want it so there's some improvement we can make, but it is a night and day difference to my stress levels.

I also streamlined my oversight. I did the thing I always dreaded. I have regularly scheduled team meetings.

Lastly, I just calmed down about the whole process. I used to micro manage if I felt someone wasn't getting it. Now, I do better at watching from afar, checking in via the meetings, I have dashboards to watch the stats, and having my team aid in the guidance and correction of the team.

I probably still give too many chances for a bad fit to work itself out, but ultimately if someone isn't working out, I let them go.

I used to fear letting them go after I invested so much time in training, but since my candidates come in more experienced, and since we've improved our training, it doesn't take too long for someone to "get up to speed".

Hope this helps...

Sounds like to sum this up, better quality personnel up front (more trust, less time spent fixing errors or training), outsourcing responsibilities (training staff), establishing guidelines (training manuals), and decentralized control (allows teams work on their own and check in check progress via team meetings.)

Good stuff!

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Sounds like to sum this up, better quality personnel up front (more trust, less time spent fixing errors or training), outsourcing responsibilities (training staff), establishing guidelines (training manuals), and decentralized control (allows teams work on their own and check in check progress via team meetings.)

Good stuff!

Yes, and improved attitude. If you believe it is overwhelming, it will be. For me, this was most important.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
If you feel tempted to micromanage that’s a signal to you.

That signals only a few things imo:
  • You’re a bad leader, not conveying the vision and mission of your company and the team these people are on
  • You have expectations that are unrealistic
  • You are hiring shit talent and they aren’t performing so you feel the need to nag them
In all cases what’s the common denominator? :happy:

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Harry Waywell

I think you’re overdoing it by asking so many questions. It comes across a bit like “idea extraction”, but maybe it’s not since you’re a meditation coach?

Check your message history to see what I mean.

If you want to get the best value from being a member of the community then it would be better to join in. Maybe take off your coaching hat for a while?

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Is he offering coaching services @DaRK9 ? I've seen he's made a few similar threads and seems to take it private after that.
Yes. He keeps phrasing stuff like he’s asking but just fishing for people. All of his replies are pretty obvious.

To OP while I always admire self promotion maybe be honest and open about it and these threads will make more sense.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.