The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finally moving to Scottsdale, Arizona!

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
Deception. I don't see mosquito netting. I haven't been bitten by a mosquito in 10 years. In Austin, I think it happens every 10 seconds.:eek:

On a realistic note, I think today is the hottest day of the year so far in Phoenix .... 115 and I even heard 118. in some places. Right about now @Eskil should be saying "WTF was I thinking????"

I was wondering why it felt so much hotter today on my hike this morning. I even got there earlier than I ever have. Was a real struggle today and I could've used more water.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

thorn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Jun 23, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah PA's pretty piss poor lol all the way around. Pittsburgh (and the Wexford/McCandless area) is a nice city and that's about all there is. Thankfully I live about 45 minutes north of the Burgh so I can escape for a day or two here or there lol.

But yeah, today's been pretty terrible as far as weather. Complete gloomy overcast and cloudiness. And muggy as F*ck.

Google Fiber seems like a big benefit as well!

P.S. isn't it funny how Pennsylvania residents are the only ones in the country that refer to our state by its abbreviated letters?

You don't hear someone from Kentucky saying "I'm from KY".

:confused:

Good to see another one from near the 'Burgh here on the forum. I was thinking I may have been the only one, but can't say I really have been actively looking to see who is from where. Although it does seem like there is a lot of push to Scottsdale, as others have mentioned. I live in the South Hills but definitely think Wexford is one of the nicer areas of the region. I am ok with Pittsburgh and PA in general, but I think if it weren't for how close my wife and I are with our families that are rooted here I would consider moving... just for a change of scenery. As much as I enjoy the change of seasons, I think I would enjoy the warmth and sunshine on a more consistent basis. There are too many days in the dead of winter where you look outside and see gray and just have to force yourself out of bed. Although the plan and hopes are that one day soon I will be able to split my time between here with my family and ideally Hawaii.

Anyways, carry on...just wanted to interject and say hi to a neighbor!

PS - Good luck on the move @Eskil! Once this Amazon training wraps up, the pictures of your new location may give even more incentive to come out and buy you that beer I have been talking about doing since we started!

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
I still can't believe you're leaving this:

mount-shuksan-autumn-scenery_4613.jpg

Tisk, tisk.

Anyone else want to join me in WA? I be lonely. :eek:

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
Good to see another one from near the 'Burgh here on the forum. I was thinking I may have been the only one, but can't say I really have been actively looking to see who is from where. Although it does seem like there is a lot of push to Scottsdale, as others have mentioned. I live in the South Hills but definitely think Wexford is one of the nicer areas of the region. I am ok with Pittsburgh and PA in general, but I think if it weren't for how close my wife and I are with our families that are rooted here I would consider moving... just for a change of scenery. As much as I enjoy the change of seasons, I think I would enjoy the warmth and sunshine on a more consistent basis. There are too many days in the dead of winter where you look outside and see gray and just have to force yourself out of bed. Although the plan and hopes are that one day soon I will be able to split my time between here with my family and ideally Hawaii.

Anyways, carry on...just wanted to interject and say hi to a neighbor!

PS - Good luck on the move @Eskil! Once this Amazon training wraps up, the pictures of your new location may give even more incentive to come out and buy you that beer I have been talking about doing since we started!
Yeah dude the South Hills is a nice area too. I really am partial to the Wexford and Ross Township Areas but like I said, south part of the city has some really nice areas too. The Southside Flats are awesome and I kinda like the Dormont area too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
PS.

I bleed Black N' Gold

[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

vudedaju.jpg

Last edited:

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
Anyone else want to join me in WA? I be lonely.

Wife and I would love to move to WA if we can find work there.. the PNW most gorgeous place in the US not to mention the restaurants are amazing

Catalyst

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Oct 16, 2013
Phoenix, AZ ( Ahwatukee )

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I happen to like Texas a whole lot. Lots of sun and no real "winters." Plus, we have grass!

Just an FYI. When I moved into my house it had a lush grass front lawn and backyard. A couple of problems with this.

One, you have to water it. My first month my home used 40,000 gallons of water! Yes, you read that right.

And two, then you have to mow it. I hated mowing grass in Chicago, so try mowing the lawn in 110 degree heat!

So I took out the grass and put in a rock landscape with cacti. No more mowing and much less water. But now I have a landscaper so the mowing isn't an issue, but I got my water usage down to 12,000 gallons.

Plus you would be surprised at how cool desert vegetation is. It's surprisingly pretty and colorful. It's not all brown here like I thought before I moved here.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
There are a bunch of things that you just cannot quantify once you find a place that you like to live. I do like to escape the summers here, so I go back to Chicago in the summer. There are a few things that are immediate to me, things that I don't notice until there aren't there.

For example:
1) The gym is 2 miles away and there's always parking in AZ. In Chicago the gym is 6 miles away but takes 3x as long to get there. Then, the parking lot is so small. When I live in AZ I go almost everyday. When I'm in Chicago, maybe once a week. It's just a convenience thing to do.
2) Traffic. Virtually no traffic where I live. Chicago, traffic all times of the day. I notice alot of horn honking in Chicago. It's virtually nonexistent in AZ. Once you begin to value your time, traffic will just irritate the f&ck out of you.
3) Abundance of healthy restaurants in AZ. Chicago, tons of burger and steak places. Just more accessible in AZ, so I make better choices.
4) 20 minutes away from being in the mountains. Makes me enjoy biking and hiking.
5) LLCs cost pretty much nothing here. Good for me cause I start new businesses every year. :)
6) Real estate taxes are super low. $1.5m house, $5k taxes. So are rent rates. Yes, you can get a nice 1br condo for $90k in a GREAT neighborhood.

I don't think many of you realize how much weather affects everything. I did not realize it until I moved here. Weather is a huge influence on your life. Weather is just one component of your surroundings, but it's very important. If it wasn't, why do people go beach destinations for vacation? Why do people want great views out of their office, home or hotel rooms?

I had a friend come live with me for 3 weeks during winter earlier this year. In the 2 weeks he was here, he lost 5 lbs. We biked and ate healthy nearly every day. He went back to Chicago and gained it all back. His environment in Chicago was just not conducive to exercising or eating healthy.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
There are a bunch of things that you just cannot quantify once you find a place that you like to live. I do like to escape the summers here, so I go back to Chicago in the summer. There are a few things that are immediate to me, things that I don't notice until there aren't there.

For example:
1) The gym is 2 miles away and there's always parking in AZ. In Chicago the gym is 6 miles away but takes 3x as long to get there. Then, the parking lot is so small. When I live in AZ I go almost everyday. When I'm in Chicago, maybe once a week. It's just a convenience thing to do.
2) Traffic. Virtually no traffic where I live. Chicago, traffic all times of the day. I notice alot of horn honking in Chicago. It's virtually nonexistent in AZ. Once you begin to value your time, traffic will just irritate the f&ck out of you.
3) Abundance of healthy restaurants in AZ. Chicago, tons of burger and steak places. Just more accessible in AZ, so I make better choices.
4) 20 minutes away from being in the mountains. Makes me enjoy biking and hiking.
5) LLCs cost pretty much nothing here. Good for me cause I start new businesses every year. :)
6) Real estate taxes are super low. $1.5m house, $5k taxes. So are rent rates. Yes, you can get a nice 1br condo for $90k in a GREAT neighborhood.

I don't think many of you realize how much weather affects everything. I did not realize it until I moved here. Weather is a huge influence on your life. Weather is just one component of your surroundings, but it's very important. If it wasn't, why do people go beach destinations for vacation? Why do people want great views out of their office, home or hotel rooms?

I had a friend come live with me for 3 weeks during winter earlier this year. In the 2 weeks he was here, he lost 5 lbs. We biked and ate healthy nearly every day. He went back to Chicago and gained it all back. His environment in Chicago was just not conducive to exercising or eating healthy.

Were you in the city in Chicago? A lot of what you describe, sounds like the difference between city life and the suburbs, not so much solely the destination itself. Either way the weather still plays a huge factor in it all.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Just an FYI. When I moved into my house it had a lush grass front lawn and backyard. A couple of problems with this.

One, you have to water it. My first month my home used 40,000 gallons of water! Yes, you read that right.

And two, then you have to mow it. I hated mowing grass in Chicago, so try mowing the lawn in 110 degree heat!

So I took out the grass and put in a rock landscape with cacti. No more mowing and much less water. But now I have a landscaper so the mowing isn't an issue, but I got my water usage down to 12,000 gallons.

Plus you would be surprised at how cool desert vegetation is. It's surprisingly pretty and colorful. It's not all brown here like I thought before I moved here.
Thanks. You've given me some good information.

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast

For example:

Great post.

I completely agree. I have lived in certain places in California where I would go for long, arduous bike rides in the mountains every day after work and on weekends because it was sunny all the time and really really convenient and easy to do. Here? Not as much and not as easily.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
....when the list of exercise healthy/fittest cities come up I dont think arizona is even on the list. In fact, you can find states like co. and mass on the list.

6 mile commute to gym is the shortest anyone in chicago city could make it to a gym? I think it depends on the location. Some people may live in a penthouse high rise with full gym in building and can walk to commercial district offices for their work without traffic concerns. That also alleviates a noise concern living so far above ground at personal residence.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
....when the list of exercise healthy/fittest cities come up I dont think arizona is even on the list. In fact, you can find states like co. and mass on the list.
These lists are generated to draw you to advertising. They figure these lists will get people's emotions going. You cannot draw conclusions based on how may fitness centers or bike trails that there are. Or by how much beer is consumed. ;)

Windsurfer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Jul 5, 2013
Minnesota
Hey my daughter is starting her freshman year at ASU August 16th. She is very interested in entrepreneurship. I was wondering if she could meet some of you guys when she is down there? Any ideas? Thanks.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
On a realistic note, I think today is the hottest day of the year so far in Phoenix .... 115 and I even heard 118. in some places. Right about now @Eskil should be saying "WTF was I thinking????"

Haha... I'm honestly totally fine with it. When you've grown up like me, in a place where single and double digits below zero are common for months out of the year - or not seeing the sun for like 2-3 months straight like here in WA... I am looking forward to 115F! Bring it on! :)

Besides, a thermometer only tells half the story. Humidity, dew point, and "feels like" temperatures is really what matters more if we're gonna compare AZ to other places. Summers in Norway (and WA) can get SUPER super muggy, sticky, and humid as heck - even at like 80-85F. That to me is way worse than a dry, dry 110. :)

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Besides, a thermometer only tells half the story. Humidity, dew point, and "feels like" temperatures is really what matters more if we're gonna compare AZ to other places. Summers in Norway (and WA) can get SUPER super muggy, sticky, and humid as heck - even at like 80-85F. That to me is way worse than a dry, dry 110.

This says it all.

bensonj

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Jul 2, 2013
I love this thread - I moved 3 months ago from Atlanta and other than missing the HECK out of my g-kids - I haven't looked back. It's hot as hades right now but environment is at the top of my list for success.

I'm officially going back to Scottsdale next week and I can't get there fast enough. I'm moving back to the same area - where even the Walmart is cheery and people are friendly…not chewing gum with no teeth and or eye contact. The Walmart in scottsdale has vases (pronounced with a short "a") of silk flowers in the bathroom - art on the walls - the one here in Phx barely has a seat that is fit to sit on...You ride by a fast food place in Scottsdale and you can barely recognize it because it blends in with the landscape… in phoenix it's prominent along with the title loans and pawn shops… and I'm in a nice section of Phoenix…arcadia area - a few blocks from Biltmore area.

I thrive when I surround myself with successful people and can see it wherever I look. Environment is huge!

Last edited:

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
@Windsurfer - That snowy picture/meme of Minnesota made med Lol.. :D Reminds me of Norwegian winters. It can get so bad, your car doors and door locks are frozen solid shut. I know of people who had to start a bonfire under their engine, just to thaw it, lol...

Oh and I have to agree too about the bugs and mosquitos. I frikkin' HATE flyes and mosquitos, lol..

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Besides, a thermometer only tells half the story. Humidity, dew point, and "feels like" temperatures is really what matters more if we're gonna compare AZ to other places. Summers in Norway (and WA) can get SUPER super muggy, sticky, and humid as heck - even at like 80-85F. That to me is way worse than a dry, dry 110. :)
I lived in Louisiana for a few years.

I will take AZ or Southern Cali heat any day over the South.

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
@AllenCrawley

I will say this: I visited Scottsdale a few years ago for a conference (during the early summer) and just LOVED it. Of course that danged photoradar gave me a ticket but still...an awesome trip. Gotta love the lazy river at that hotel... :)

The Roaring Fork invite just reminded me of that trip.

+1 for sun

I've also been to wrestling camps at ASU and visited friends at AU and loved my experiences there as well...

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
I could be. Perhaps you could start this in a new thread in the meetup category.
Yeah a dinner meetup would be cool.
I also created a Facebook group just now for the 'locals' and we can arrange meetups in there too :)

Please pm me if you didn't receive an invite yet

Windsurfer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Jul 5, 2013
Minnesota
Why don't you come over with her and we will set something up.

Thanks for the invite @SteveO . I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I will be staying back in MN to hang out with my sons while my daughter and wife head to the Valley of the Sun. I'm sure I will be down there to visit some time this year.

Can I take a 'rain check' on that invite, or do you guys have anything like that in AZ?:)

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Can I take a 'rain check' on that invite, or do you guys have anything like that in AZ?
Yes. And we do get rain 2 inches at a time 3 times a year. ;)

Will she be here on August 22nd? She could come to the Roaring Fork with the group. The question is, would she be comfortable enough to come along with our group?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Were you in the city in Chicago? A lot of what you describe, sounds like the difference between city life and the suburbs, not so much solely the destination itself. Either way the weather still plays a huge factor in it all.

I've only lived in the burbs and it's the same. In Chicago, the burbs are just as packed as the city unless you get about 40 miles out from the city center.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.