The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Figuring Out YouTube

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I think you should try a focussed channel. If you manage to make the early videos popular you will probably hit 1000 subscribers much faster than in your existing channel. How fast is going to depend on your content and how popular it is.
Maybe I do this then. It could be interesting and fun to start from scratch.

But I’m now a bit confused as to whether I focus just on Google Ads!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Well sucks for me, I would casually go back to your non-google ads vids from time to time.
They were helpful and helped clear up my mind when it got really foggy.

But thanks for making them in the first place.
I made all those videos public again.

MotionDesign

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jul 1, 2019
Very interesting. Last year someone asked me who created videos in the style I’d like to create, and I said Brian Dean.

I suspect the process starts with writing a script that would help lots of people. Then someone reads it, and then an amazing video is created to match the audio - like how all good documentaries are created, and how James Jani does as well.

I’m enjoying editing Let’s Chat Sales podcasts down using Descript. My next goal is to also do solo podcasts where I write a script, narrate it, edit it, then publish. Done right, I should be able to hand someone the edited audio and video, and get back a much better video than my normal ones.

Brian Dean has set the bar pretty high:

View: https://youtu.be/3TMjE4XFTa8

I agree that Ed Lawrence videos are much more fun and engaging to watch. That's for sure.

I think it really depends on how many videos you want to release/week? When watching Ed's videos, he's clearly doing a lot of planning and structuring each video. The editing also makes it a lot more fun (the Arnold bit for example). Here I would suggest you get a good editor who knows how to structure a story in video to help outline each video.

If you don't want to act so much like Ed does, but find good middle ground, I would suggest checking out Ahref.
Example:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp7UkYL4nVg

What I like about their videos are the helping screen recordings that help show what they are teaching. Makes it so much easier for me as the viewer to get the point of the video. Even though the presenter is just laying out the facts, it's still engaging.
Mainly for two reasons:

1. He cuts out any filler and gets to the point.
2. The added screen recording and b-roll all fill a roll and shows you what he's talking about. A lot of YouTubers add b-roll just to make the video look nice, but then it just misses the point. Here, they use relevant B-roll.

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
Maybe I do this then. It could be interesting and fun to start from scratch.

But I’m now a bit confused as to whether I focus just on Google Ads!
If it were me looking at this problem, I would start a dedicated new channel and put my efforts into that, especially if your old channel has a wide range of topics.

The growth rate of your old channel will be hard to break out of unless you have a succession of hot videos when YouTube will wake up to you. I would niche down but make it something you're interested in because you will need to produce at least a video a week on the subject for the next couple of years if you want it to pay off.

People tend to see the success of a few and think YouTube is easy. It is for some but for the majority of others, it takes time and persistence. It's taken me almost 5 years to grow to 24k subscribers and in the past 3 years, the rate of new subscribers has dropped a lot.

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
Oh. I didn’t know folks were watching them. Which videos helped clear your mind in particular? I guess they were talking head videos. Do they help better than the podcasts (which are typically longer)?

Most of the videos are embedded in threads in this forum. I plan to embed them into my website too.

Or maybe I make all those videos public again and go make a brand new channel just for Google Ads videos?

People listen to experts they follow leaders
Help the people in motion
you don't have to be an expert

to name a few.

I don't listen to podcasts, even if they are brief. Just not my cup of tea.

Didn't realize you were building a website. Look forward to that.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I agree that Ed Lawrence videos are much more fun and engaging to watch. That's for sure.

I think it really depends on how many videos you want to release/week? When watching Ed's videos, he's clearly doing a lot of planning and structuring each video. The editing also makes it a lot more fun (the Arnold bit for example). Here I would suggest you get a good editor who knows how to structure a story in video to help outline each video.

If you don't want to act so much like Ed does, but find good middle ground, I would suggest checking out Ahref.
Example:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp7UkYL4nVg

What I like about their videos are the helping screen recordings that help show what they are teaching. Makes it so much easier for me as the viewer to get the point of the video. Even though the presenter is just laying out the facts, it's still engaging.
Mainly for two reasons:

1. He cuts out any filler and gets to the point.
2. The added screen recording and b-roll all fill a roll and shows you what he's talking about. A lot of YouTubers add b-roll just to make the video look nice, but then it just misses the point. Here, they use relevant B-roll.
I really like that video you linked to. I guess he’s using a teleprompter to read out the script (nice and calmly I might add), and then someone removes fluffed lines and adds overlays and b-roll.

I bet that’s a lot easier to do than Ed’s who has a real talent for story writing, acting, and editing.

Brian Dean’s videos are good, but the way he delivers each line started to grate on me.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
If it were me looking at this problem, I would start a dedicated new channel and put my efforts into that, especially if your old channel has a wide range of topics.

The growth rate of your old channel will be hard to break out of unless you have a succession of hot videos when YouTube will wake up to you. I would niche down but make it something you're interested in because you will need to produce at least a video a week on the subject for the next couple of years if you want it to pay off.

People tend to see the success of a few and think YouTube is easy. It is for some but for the majority of others, it takes time and persistence. It's taken me almost 5 years to grow to 24k subscribers and in the past 3 years, the rate of new subscribers has dropped a lot.
Yeah. I’m tending towards a new channel now.

I don’t think it has to be a subject I create weekly videos for over the next two years though. I’m quite prepared to run YouTube Ads to kickstart algorithms and learn what resonates.

There’s some good YouTube progress threads in here @Cameraman:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

to name a few.
Oh, interesting. They’re the raw, walk and talk, vlog style ones.

I actually miss doing them. They were a good way of extracting content out of my brain, and some people really liked them.

Maybe I start doing more of them for the “old” channel…maybe as YouTube shorts?

That’s super interesting as I find myself listening to podcasts more if they’re just people talking. For me to watch it on video there needs to be additional info.

Didn't realize you were building a website. Look forward to that.
Ah. It’s mentioned in an INSIDERS progress thread. You can find it at www.StartSellScale.com

I even have a free “follow-along” newsletter where people can follow as I grow my consulting, paid newsletters, course memberships, and now YouTube channel.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Signed up to the 7 day free trial of Skillshare last night. It’s only €144/year. (@Lex DeVille … it seems very similar to what you’re creating.)

Watched a 1 hour course by MKBHD, a big tech review YouTube channel.

The course was great, and he delivered his script calmly and without it seeming scripted.

My main aha moment was his script writing tip about putting in bold the paragraphs that will be a-roll (where you talk to camera) and leaving “un-bold” paragraphs that will be b-roll (where you’re doing a voice over).

It means you can just narrate the un-bolded parts, and it helps you figure out what b-roll you need and the flow of the video.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Made a couple of amendments to my personal channel.

1) I figured out I can create a playlist of playlists. I named the playlist "Google Ads Playlists".

2) I've been sneaky and used the copyright symbol and my website name to make it look like it's there for business/legal reasons, but it's really just a way to let people instantly see what my website is.

1633385656860.png

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
Made a couple of amendments to my personal channel.

1) I figured out I can create a playlist of playlists. I named the playlist "Google Ads Playlists".

2) I've been sneaky and used the copyright symbol and my website name to make it look like it's there for business/legal reasons, but it's really just a way to let people instantly see what my website is.

View attachment 40228
I think the changes look like a good idea and are worth testing. One thought about the "Google Ad Playlist" was that it made me think it was a warning that this content includes Google Ads. Would it be better to use something like "Google Ads Tips" for example? It was just my immediate reaction to the heading.

I did something similar with my logo where I officially registered it as a trademark so I could use the R symbol. It only cost me around £120 and lasts for 10 years. It looks more professional and has helped me persuade a couple of people that it could be a costly mistake if they try to imitate me.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I think the changes look like a good idea and are worth testing. One thought about the "Google Ad Playlist" was that it made me think it was a warning that this content includes Google Ads. Would it be better to use something like "Google Ads Tips" for example? It was just my immediate reaction to the heading.
Great feedback, thanks. That never occurred to me!

I've changed that playlist name as suggested, and I've also changed one of the embedded playlist names.

I'd like to add another couple of Google Ads playlists just so there's 5 of them and it looks the same as the rows above and below.

I should probably look at thumbnails now.

1633423235307.png

I did something similar with my logo where I officially registered it as a trademark so I could use the R symbol. It only cost me around £120 and lasts for 10 years. It looks more professional and has helped me persuade a couple of people that it could be a costly mistake if they try to imitate me.
I like it.

We add the trademark symbol after client brand names in their ads on Google (typically for the brand campaign where someone is searching for the brand name). If it's a registered trademark then even better. Most consumers don't know the difference between the TM and the R, and it does make the ad pop and look more professional.

In this case, since I've put the website name, I think it might not make sense to put a TM or R after the website name. Having the C in front of the website name does make sense, and is what's in the footer of the site too:

1633423549470.png

I discuss my current thinking about personal branding and personal branded domains with my co-host on Let's Chat Sales in this episode:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

to name a few.

This feedback was eye-opening and have been thinking about it ever since.

If I create a new channel then maybe it’s NOT a Google Ads one, but is one to help people get started in business and unstuck.

Maybe the new channel is for video versions of the threads I link people to the most in this forum? The ones I know help people, and I link to again and again and again.

In some ways it’s tiring linking to the same stuff all the time. But that means it’s an evergreen problem with an evergreen solution.

I consulted with my YouTube coaches this afternoon on the drive back from the swimming pool.

The 11 yo advised I create a whole new channel if I’m to improve the video quality drastically. Otherwise people wouldn’t know which of the 100+ old videos is a good quality one to watch next. He also advised I do a video on the old channel and “shout out” the new channel.

The 13 yo was wondering if the new channel could be named after the website I’m building, but I think it should still be a personal branded channel. I keep telling people about Ed Lawrence and then struggle to remember what channel they have to search to find him (it’s Film Booth).

The 9 yo is just disappointed I haven’t paid for Screencast-o-matic yet so he can edit his own Roblox gameplay videos.

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
Saw that you referred to my post on your twitter too. Nice that it helped you see things in a different light, especially since that's what your talking head videos did for me (and presumably others).

Another one of my favorites I forgot to mention was "tell people what to do", that message in that one was/is HUGE for me.

Whichever direction you choose to go in regarding a new channel or re-branding your current one, as long as you keep feeding the audience with simple but effective strategies and lessons to implement, I believe you'll be fine.

Alfie321

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 29, 2016
Hey Andy, have you tried to make some TikTok videos?

I've noticed my ability to deliver and engage went up significantly when I started producing quick 1 minute videos everyday. Basically, it trains you to grab attention from the very first second and to quickly get to the point so people don't scroll down. And it also will gives you some cool organic traffic.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey Andy, have you tried to make some TikTok videos?

I've noticed my ability to deliver and engage went up significantly when I started producing quick 1 minute videos everyday. Basically, it trains you to grab attention from the very first second and to quickly get to the point so people don't scroll down. And it also will gives you some cool organic traffic.
I haven’t looked at TikTok before. The videos @Itizn is referring to are actually Snapchat videos. I recorded them in my phone with the Snapchat app then downloaded and uploaded to YouTube. They were fun and easy to do, and maybe I keep doing them and I turn the ones that resonate into a more polished version? (Lol… and then find the more polished version doesn’t do as well.)

Can TikTok videos be downloaded to our phones? I presume so as my kids watch a lot of TikTok videos on YouTube.

I imagine the one minute constraint is a great tool for keeping on topic.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Saw that you referred to my post on your twitter too. Nice that it helped you see things in a different light, especially since that's what your talking head videos did for me (and presumably others).

Another one of my favorites I forgot to mention was "tell people what to do", that message in that one was/is HUGE for me.

Whichever direction you choose to go in regarding a new channel or re-branding your current one, as long as you keep feeding the audience with simple but effective strategies and lessons to implement, I believe you'll be fine.
Oh yes, “Tell people what to do” is a good life lesson, especially for parents.

I can see a series of super short videos (maybe YouTube shorts if they’re under a minute).

I’d love to do those. Over the years I’ve accumulated well over 100 favourite quotes and sayings. In some ways those videos felt like leaving a legacy for my kids and grandkids to learn from … like superman’s dad did in the first movie with that ice palace thing.

What doesn’t rock my boat is the thought of doing Google Ads videos every week. My shoulders slump at the thought, and it’s nowhere near as mass market either.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
Signed up to the 7 day free trial of Skillshare last night. It’s only €144/year. (@Lex DeVille … it seems very similar to what you’re creating.)

Watched a 1 hour course by MKBHD, a big tech review YouTube channel.

The course was great, and he delivered his script calmly and without it seeming scripted.

My main aha moment was his script writing tip about putting in bold the paragraphs that will be a-roll (where you talk to camera) and leaving “un-bold” paragraphs that will be b-roll (where you’re doing a voice over).

It means you can just narrate the un-bolded parts, and it helps you figure out what b-roll you need and the flow of the video.
You should try Ali Abdaal's class on skillshare. Or his Part Time Youtuber academy, a bit on the pricier side though.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You should try Ali Abdaal's class on skillshare. Or his Part Time Youtuber academy, a bit on the pricier side though.
Oh nice. I didn’t know he had a class on Skillshare. I’m literally about to sit down and watch a course on the living room TV with a cold beer.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I went from unlisting the non Google Ads videos, to prioritising them on my channel.

I even created a playlist with some of the videos @Itizn mentioned and put it first:

1633908378038.png

I was chatting to the co-host of our Let's Chat Sales podcast this evening and we're both going to focus on short videos giving ONE tip.

We like the ones Donald Miller did for Business Made Simple (although we're not going for that high level of quality!)

e.g:
View: https://youtu.be/N_P1BrWL4Vs

Nice thumbnails too. I must start doing them at some point:

1633908520373.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Been trying to figure out how to turn scripts into voiceovers into videos.

I’ve so much written content, and I’ve been told I’ve a good voice and accent for voiceovers.

Found this video.

Mind = Blown

View: https://youtu.be/pMaEHFHXNQw

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Andy, are you doing any YouTube advertising?
A teeny bit for clients. None for myself yet.

I’m deep-diving into YouTube Ads now though. It makes sense to focus on video since I’m selling video courses, plus it’s harder to create the content. Oh, and it’s part of Google Ads so I really should figure it out.

The biggest issue is that clients don’t have any videos or decent ones.

Related:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Alfie321

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 29, 2016
I haven’t looked at TikTok before. The videos @Itizn is referring to are actually Snapchat videos. I recorded them in my phone with the Snapchat app then downloaded and uploaded to YouTube. They were fun and easy to do, and maybe I keep doing them and I turn the ones that resonate into a more polished version? (Lol… and then find the more polished version doesn’t do as well.)

Can TikTok videos be downloaded to our phones? I presume so as my kids watch a lot of TikTok videos on YouTube.

I imagine the one minute constraint is a great tool for keeping on topic.
You definitely can! And then you can reupload without watermark to IG, YT Shorts to get extra traffic.

If you have a product, honestly TikTok is the way to go. It is so much engaging and addictive than any other social media platform right now. I personally would move from YT completely if they did pay creators in LATAM, but they don't, and I don't sell any products yet.

I have been approached by some businesses to do Social media campaigns with them, so definitely check it out and get in while it is still relatively easy to get insane organic growth!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You definitely can! And then you can reupload without watermark to IG, YT Shorts to get extra traffic.

If you have a product, honestly TikTok is the way to go. It is so much engaging and addictive than any other social media platform right now. I personally would move from YT completely if they did pay creators in LATAM, but they don't, and I don't sell any products yet.

I have been approached by some businesses to do Social media campaigns with them, so definitely check it out and get in while it is still relatively easy to get insane organic growth!
Thanks. I installed TikTok on my phone last week. It lasted less than 10 minutes before I deleted it.

Personally, I’d rather create evergreen content that can be found and is useful for years, decades, and generations to come.

Also, my paid courses are videos. It makes sense for my free content to be similar videos.

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
I listened to the podcast version of this on a flight today. Thought it was great.

View: https://youtu.be/YaEp7aiWRho
Thanks for sharing. It was a worthwhile listen although I think he was overly critical of YouTubers trying to hold attention.

If you don't catch and hold someones attention your content becomes boring and you don't get the message across. Whilst he wasn't using any "tricks" as he calls them he was talking about interesting stuff. The problem with a lot of content is that it's not interesting or valuable which is when the techniques he mentions become tricks.

I'm with you on not going down the TikTok route.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks for sharing. It was a worthwhile listen although I think he was overly critical of YouTubers trying to hold attention.

If you don't catch and hold someones attention your content becomes boring and you don't get the message across. Whilst he wasn't using any "tricks" as he calls them he was talking about interesting stuff. The problem with a lot of content is that it's not interesting or valuable which is when the techniques he mentions become tricks.

I'm with you on not going down the TikTok route.
I think he was more about not making content that gives dopamine hits to keep people engaged. Graham’s style is to be very calm and measured. He’s also got great delivery with very few filler words. I think he’s just leaning into that. Not everyone can pull it off though.

I notice he has cuts in his videos, and adds animated text. This is a good example (and relevant):

View: https://youtu.be/clf70-pBdSo

I’m with him about prioritising growing an email list over growing YouTube subscribers.

I’ve been thinking about whether I want to be on camera. It’s quicker to create but can take longer post-production to tidy up. But I’ve been doing this for a cohosted podcast weekly and it’s been fine.

A big consideration is legacy. If I’m talking to the camera then my kids can see me talking to them when they get older. Maybe even future generations. It’s like a way to put my knowledge and messages into a time capsule.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.