The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fastlane Opportunities for Writers

seraphine

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
May 14, 2021
I just bought a month's subscription last night in order to write some articles, but it didn't help too much because the articles are really fact-based, so I still have to do the research and put everything into my own words. Astoundingly, it's able to generate facts that sound completely legit but are actually 100% false, which is kind of scary because someone might use something like this to pump out false facts into the world, not out of malice but just ignorance/carelessness.

However, it's really cool to just play around with it, and I can definitely see it being useful in other circumstances. I don't think it'd be that helpful in situations where personal voice/style and imagination are more important and the writer has to draw on personal experiences and emotions or do a lot of contemplation, reflection, and thinking. I'm interested to see whether OpenAI's GPT-3 by itself could be trained so I could get it to write in something that sounds like what I'd actually think and feel—like importing my brain into a machine.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LifeDeathTime

It's funny cause we're all going to die anyways
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 28, 2017
Austin, TX
just bought a month's subscription last night in order to write some articles, but it didn't help too much because the articles are really fact-based, so I still have to do the research and put everything into my own words
What template did you start from? (Long-form content, Creative writer, etc.)

What tone of voice did you input?

I found that using the "friendly expert" input gives me the style I want for one of my main projects.

Is there a well-known author you emulate or sound similar to in style? If so, try literally inputting their name there

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
It has a feature called "Text Summarizer" and another called "Explain it to a child". Here's what I got by inputting the last text @MTF generated:

View attachment 39253
The article on the left looks like something created on textbroker. Lots of padding.

The sentences on the right look liked the AI removed that padding.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
What are you thinking of retraining for?

I kind of wish I could become a machine learning engineer and not only deeply understand how such a futuristic technology works but also be able to build stuff on top of GPT-3 myself. But I don't have the intellectual capacity. And even if I could do it given enough studying time, I don't think I'm ready to invest so much time and effort into it.

So rather, I'd just like to learn how to work with machines well and capitalize on it while very few people use it and pay attention to it. Perhaps dedicate myself to keeping track of the most exciting AI software dedicated for end users (user-friendly stuff like Jarvis) and teaching others how to use it best? Or just focus on Jarvis? No idea.

It's been a long time since I've been this excited about anything in business so maybe it means something. Or maybe it just appeals a lot to my inner slacker.

Thank you for talking about the Jarvis.AI . I had tried it last month on free trial but didn't take the time to learn it. Dismissed it without fully understanding it.

I started using it again yesterday and it is a game changer. I'm currently using it to answer questions on Quora. It takes me 10-15 minutes to create a 300-800 word response that's pretty decent.

It really does make it easy to seem like a professional. I realized today if I take a little bit more time in learning the software the answers I create can also be used as future blog posts. It's realistic to expect to spend 30 minutes creating a 1,000 blog post.

It definitely requires a lot of practice to get good at using it. But as you can probably already tell, the more you use it, the better you understand it, and so you give it better prompts and it provides better answers.

Ethics: Using this software has felt like cheating. It's almost too easy. At the same time, with 7 million blog posts being written everyday there's no way to be 100% original. Even if I wrote something by hand it would probably sound like the 1000 other blog posts on the same topic. The content produced passes plagiarism checks so it's not stealing.

I'm going to gain more experience and invest a little more time in each post to produce quality content.

I'm sure that the first people who used e-mail also thought the same. No need to write in longhand/use a typewriter/print it? No need to buy an envelope and a stamp? No need to go to the post office? That's cheating!

That's what I'm saying.

I'm in the middle of putting together a case study for this forum on some results I've been getting from this.

Will share soon.

Looking forward to it!

I bought a month subscription to Jarvis's Boss Mode and played around with it for a bit. I'm a content writer, and wow, this is going to save me so much time!

The output takes some editing and fact-checking, but man, there's nothing like typing "write a funny story about [article's argument]" and getting one ready for the article.

Also, getting the AI to write an extra sentence or two to unblock me when I feel stuck is another huge timesaver.

Awesome to hear that. We'll probably uncover new uses for it as we keep playing with it.

Can that AI thing summarise well? It seems quite verbose.

I’m a fan of one liners and my goal is to find to get to the aha moment in as few words as possible.

In addition to what @Madame Peccato posted, there's also "Content Improver" that rewrites a piece of content to make it more interesting, creative, and engaging though it's unlikely to shorten content.

Pretty sure we'll be able to leverage a "Written by ACTUAL human beings!" USP real soon.

And that USP will be sort of like "withdraw your money from a REAL human being" when everyone would rather use an ATM.

I just bought a month's subscription last night in order to write some articles, but it didn't help too much because the articles are really fact-based, so I still have to do the research and put everything into my own words. Astoundingly, it's able to generate facts that sound completely legit but are actually 100% false, which is kind of scary because someone might use something like this to pump out false facts into the world, not out of malice but just ignorance/carelessness.

Yes, you need to be very careful with the "facts" it provides as it's an excellent bullshitter. But if you give it more facts, it's more likely to produce real facts, too. Also, you can still use it for introductions, summaries, brainstorming, everything marketing-related (stuff I personally hate writing), etc.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Follow your nose @MTF.

Well I've tried many different things over the past year and it all ended in a disaster and/or loss of interest. Even though this is a completely new area to me, it's likely it can end up the same way...

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
Awesome to hear that. We'll probably uncover new uses for it as we keep playing with it.
Yeah for now I've used it for the grunt work. Things like "write a paragraph about X". I used it for the most unexciting stuff to write, the Wikipedia style facts. Content writing isn't always fun or glamorous:)

I then edit it a little to fix any incorrect facts + give some flair to it. I plan to watch the 33 minutes training video and play with it a little more with the cheatsheet commands this weekend, since I'll have a lot of free time.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I wonder how many college students will turn to this for essays.

Since facts and research don't matter anymore and since nobody reads essays anyway, seems like a game changer for students. :D

seraphine

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
May 14, 2021
What template did you start from? (Long-form content, Creative writer, etc.)

What tone of voice did you input?

I found that using the "friendly expert" input gives me the style I want for one of my main projects.

Is there a well-known author you emulate or sound similar to in style? If so, try literally inputting their name there
I started with long-form and didn't input any tone of voice, but "friendly expert" might be what I'm going for—thanks for the suggestion! The style it's been giving me has been mostly fine so far, though; it's mostly the facts that have been giving me issues.

Yes, you need to be very careful with the "facts" it provides as it's an excellent bullshitter. But if you give it more facts, it's more likely to produce real facts, too.
Yeah, I think I just didn't give it enough information.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
And that USP will be sort of like "withdraw your money from a REAL human being" when everyone would rather use an ATM.

Sort of, but not quite.

To be honest, and this might just very well be the ol' "growing older and resisting change" phenomenon (I'm 23, so maybe I'm just grumpier than average), but I think humans' willingness to let a machine/program do everything for us is probably going to lead to our demise.

In fact, I find it really disturbing that the Internet might be infested with believable AI "users" soon.

I mean, how long before someone creates an AI that "learns" from our post history in forums and social media and emulates our own personalities at a believable level?

"Well, would you look at that, SmartyPants137 replied to me in a snarky way. Me-Bot, please reply in a manner I would. Oh, and add something about their mother in line 3."

Laziness supposedly brought Neanderthals to extinction. Homo sapiens were just THAT more willing to get shit done physically. Is the pattern now repeating itself?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Sort of, but not quite.

To be honest, and this might just very well be the ol' "growing older and resisting change" phenomenon (I'm 23, so maybe I'm just grumpier than average), but I think humans' willingness to let a machine/program do everything for us is probably going to lead to our demise.

In fact, I find it really disturbing that the Internet might be infested with believable AI "users" soon.

I mean, how long before someone creates an AI that "learns" from our post history in forums and social media and emulates our own personalities at a believable level?

"Well, would you look at that, SmartyPants137 replied to me in a snarky way. Me-Bot, please reply in a manner I would. Oh, and add something about their mother in line 3."

Laziness supposedly brought Neanderthals to extinction. Homo sapiens were just THAT more willing to get shit done physically. Is the pattern now repeating itself?

I'm now reading Kevin Kelly's The Inevitable: Understanding the 12 Technological Forces That Will Shape Our Future. It addresses how and why the change will have both positive and negative effects but it's ultimately impossible to stop it.

Better prepare for the inevitable future than resist it. And I'm saying it as a person who has trouble accepting certain new technologies (like crypto) and trends (like personal branding).

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I had to create a quick opt-in page today and decided to use Jarvis. I was done with all the copy in like 2 minutes and it's way better than what I would write.

It seems to be that's where its power is. Another excellent use is for blog posts but IMO not groundbreaking ones, just something you want to publish that's okay. But it's really not surprising considering their previous name was conversion.ai.

I'm not sure how useful it would really be for a full-length, non-spammy book as you have to fact-check everything. The intros and summaries help but in the end it may take more time to check everything it wrote than simply write everything yourself without having to double-check every little thing.

You most certainly CAN'T write a valuable article with Jarvis about a topic you aren't familiar with because you'll for sure miss false information. Like I said before, it's excellent at making stuff sound like it's 100% real and you'll definitely miss some little details and/or repeat debunked myths (though that also happens with human-written content, even in "cutting-edge" bestselling books as I've recently noticed).

Also played a little with Sudowrite for fiction. It has some mind-blowing features that work way better for fiction than Jarvis. For example, you can get feedback on your writing from AI (it's an experimental feature they have) and it's actually very, very useful and spot on. It can also generate descriptions, characters, places, and even plot twists.

If anyone is interested in the above, I can post some examples of how it works.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
I am spending a lot of time with Jarvis. Also got the Boss mode, wow, just freaking wow. How is it even possible?
Now need to go back and watch videos on how to use it properly, it’s intuitive but I’m sure the issues @MTF discussed above are addressed somewhere (like inaccurate information).

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Cool, also based on GPT-3?

Yeah but works way, way better for fiction than Jarvis. It was created by a Silicon Valley engineer turned sci-fi author.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I am spending a lot of time with Jarvis. Also got the Boss mode, wow, just freaking wow. How is it even possible?
Now need to go back and watch videos on how to use it properly, it’s intuitive but I’m sure the issues @MTF discussed above are addressed somewhere (like inaccurate information).

False information is part of the deal and everyone using the tool will tell you the same thing. Jarvis doesn't think, it just predicts what goes well together.

Two adjustments you can make to make it more accurate are giving it more content (and a more specific title and brief) and using the right tone of voice.

I was told that using experts or even big companies in your niche as the target tone of voice can help make it more accurate. But then you're running the risk of sounding too much like your competitors (either way you should do a plagiarism check anyway).

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Funny story, the AI robot is programmed to be helpful but has restrictions on sensitive information. For sh**s and giggles I input "write a story about Fidel Castro coming to power using radio" and Jarvis comlied, only then to stop and say that information is "sensitive". It wouldn't write anymore after that! Holy sh*t, it's censored AI.

@MJ DeMarco @MTF

Edit:

A little bit of background. Trying out Jarvis I was able to take my notes for the next article and turn it around in 2 hours. Normally it takes me closer to 8 to complete the same task. This was much faster because whenever I got stuck, Jarvis would just write something that prompted me to think. When I hated it, I just deleted it. Mostly I wrote and then selected my own text and chose "re-phrase". It felt like cheating. It was as if I went from hand tools to power tools!

Once I was done with my work, I couldn't stop. I had to test other things. My mind wondered, where is this AI getting the info? Is there anything I remember that I could test accuracy? That's where I thought, is it permitted to talk about history and political events, will it work? Asking for history seemed to be fine. But when I went to type in a brief as an "opinion", it would say the subject is sensitive and would not continue.

For example, you can tell it to write about obesity, but you cannot ask to write about why so many people are obese. Type in "write an article on why Americans eat so much" and you get:Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 5.01.09 PM.png

Still testing this thing. It's definitely very useful.

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
The next thing I did is this, I put in Title as "Fasting" and content to "write an article on which health care system is the best and why"

Here is what I got:

Health benefits

Fasting has been used as a means to promote health and prevent disease in many different cultures throughout history. Fasting will significantly improve your body's immunity, making you less susceptible to infections or illnesses. Studies have shown that fasting can fight aging by improving the immune system, lowering oxidative stress inside cells [22] , and reversing the effects of oxidative damage on the DNA [23] . Fasting can also increase stem cell production and growth in new tissues, rapidly improving overall health.

Fasting for a period of time will cause your body to undergo autophagy (a process of cellular cleaning) which allows cells to recycle old malfunctioning components and begin functioning properly again. Autophagy is a powerful tool for healing the body because its capable of selectively killing off malfunctioning cells, while reinforcing and strengthening healthy tissues via cellular regeneration.

Fasting for long periods of time can also protect brain cells from damage caused by beta-amyloid proteins, which build up in Alzheimer's patients [24] . By fasting, you can reduce your brain's susceptibility to plaque build-up, reducing the risk of this disease.

Fasting for short periods of time can also improve vision by increasing growth and regeneration in the eye. Fasting will lead to increased production of retinal cells that will restore sight [25] .

The blood pressure of most people who fast regularly will significantly decrease. Fasting can also act as an anti-aging treatment because it will cause reduced levels of oxidative stress, inflammation, and cholesterol [26] .

Fasting is also beneficial for the immune system. The number of infections in humans decreases with increased duration of fasting due to cellular cleansing and repair mechanisms [27] .

Now I wonder, what do the [22] through [27] references mean? Does it mean Jarvis is just copying text from somewhere else it read on the Internet? If so, isn't it plagiarism at its finest?

Awaken Study

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2020
Now I wonder, what do the [22] through [27] references mean? Does it mean Jarvis is just copying text from somewhere else it read on the Internet? If so, isn't it plagiarism at its finest?
I ran the paragraph through 2 plagiarism checks and it says it's 100% original. Kind of cool how it's so good it's hard to believe.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
What do you use to check for plagiarism?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Funny story, the AI robot is programmed to be helpful but has restrictions on sensitive information. For sh**s and giggles I input "write a story about Fidel Castro coming to power using radio" and Jarvis comlied, only then to stop and say that information is "sensitive". It wouldn't write anymore after that! Holy sh*t, it's censored AI.

That's not Jarvis, it's how GPT-3 is designed so that it's not used for negative stuff (in reality, you can still do that). A lot of stuff triggers it. It can even generate something itself and then say it's sensitive. Many people complain about it because it doesn't even tell you which word is not allowed.

Even something like "a 5-year old girl played with her toys" could potentially give you that warning.

I imagine you wouldn't be able to write an article about law enforcement because any mention of a gun, violence, crime, etc. would probably trigger it.

Jarvis team is aware of it but I'm not sure they can do anything about it.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

It sometimes pulls up random stuff, including photo credits, links to websites or even to social media profiles. But it still always comes up with unique stuff. People either use Grammarly, Copyscape or Quetext to check it.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaM5bl55kD4

Here are my notes from the video. Mind you I have only skimmed towards the end, since it's a Q&A session with mostly examples. They are notes so they are a bit rough, but they are intelligible...I hope:)

General usage:
  • Write clearly. Use simple words and short sentences. Think about non-fiction / content writing.
  • Experiment with different templates.
  • Mix templates to flesh out ideas. Ie: start with blog post headline, use it to make an outline, use different template to build content around the outline, etc
  • Use short and medium output, the long one tends to get shaky towards the end. It's a limitation of Natural Language Processing.
  • Be clear and concise in the "tell us about X" field, you don't have to use all 600 characters. In fact, shorter is better.
  • The tone of voice field can be left empty.
Extra editing tip: take Jarvis' output, paste it into Hemingwayapp, and trim the fat from there.

The power of template mixing.

Start by asking yourself: "I need X, which template is going to be more similar to X?"

For example: I need a job description. I'll use the product description feature, because I can frame it so that the person I'm hiring / role I'm filling is the product

Other use cases:

1) Write song lyrics / poetry
  1. Start with the long form content template
  2. Input example: this is a song with lyrics in the style of X, the song is about...[plot], make sure to use the keywords "a" "b" "c"
  3. Highlight words / lines and use the re-phrase or make more creative features
2) newsletter / social media posts
  1. Start with blog post intro paragraph template to summarize what you want to talk about
  2. Input parameters, get people's words from niche forums or facebook groups or just regular web surfing.
  3. Use content improver on the output
3) Infographics content
  1. Start with blog post outline, blog post topic ideas, and persuasive bullet points. Infographics are small, digestible bits of information.
  2. Most infographics come from blog posts, but you can do it the other way with this method. Build an infographic and a blog post off the same bullet points.
  3. Extra: try the video topics ideas too, it gives different outputs.
4) How to sum up content
  1. Use the description field of the long-form content feature. Make the intent "I want to summarize or quickly explain what I'm trying to do".
  2. Tell Jarvis to be concise with you. Guide it and use the rephrase feature.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
I'm surprised you guys haven't asked Jarvis to tell you how to best approach Jarvis... yet ;)

Great thread BTW, following.
1627724952324.png

Flint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Jul 14, 2020
Should I read this in Tony Stark/Ironman's voice? :)

seraphine

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
May 14, 2021
Some experiments in sonnet-writing:

The first one I tried was Shakespeare. The description I gave it was "This is a sonnet in the style of Shakespeare; it is 14 lines and has a rhyme scheme of ABAB CDCD EFEF GG." I gave it the first line of Sonnet 60 to see how similar or different it would turn out; it ended up just copying the poem's original next 3 lines (so much for plagiarism I guess?) but the rest of its lines are original I think. I'm pretty impressed with how it got the sound of the Elizabethan period, and most of the lines are 10 syllables and scan properly, although the rhyme scheme was kind of thrown out the window. Not sure what that thing at the end is.

Jarvis sonnet:
Like as the waves make towards the pebbl'd shore,

So do our minutes hasten to their end,

Each changing place with that which goes before,

In sequent toil all forwards do contend.

But me, at fast-pac'd moments, thou dost waft

As on a cushioned record gently borne;

And in the vasty hall of memory

There is a place, a time for every theme:

So canst thou give, disgrace or grace, to things

Which else were of no memory at all.

And use thou this remembrance in thy rhymes,

Chiefly when they speak of me who am gone:

And if some love there be, and some esteem,

Not profit seek in the memorial. F.L.T., Dorset Gardens, Sept 19th 1796 [ARTICLE END]

Original:
Like as the waves make towards the pebbl'd shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end;
Each changing place with that which goes before,
In sequent toil all forwards do contend.
Nativity, once in the main of light,
Crawls to maturity, wherewith being crown'd,
Crooked eclipses 'gainst his glory fight,
And Time that gave doth now his gift confound.
Time doth transfix the flourish set on youth
And delves the parallels in beauty's brow,
Feeds on the rarities of nature's truth,
And nothing stands but for his scythe to mow:
And yet to times in hope my verse shall stand,
Praising thy worth, despite his cruel hand.

Then I decided to try some other time periods. This one is Elizabeth Barrett Browning from the Victorian era. A couple of lines were 8 syllables instead of 10, but I think it made a better attempt at rhyme.

Jarvis:
I lift my heavy heart up solemnly,

And clasp it to the throbs of Thine;

Scarce can I bear, for all this weight of sorrow,

The hour that fixes me in Thine.

Now have I chosen, 'tis too late to flee;

I sink beneath Thy mystic wing:

Defence is mute - and speechless praise should be;

Ah! little can I speak, and much I see.

I cannot choose but hear Thee, Lord most high, -

Though for the hearing came an hour too late;

I cannot choose but feel Thy hallowed breath,

Though feeling bought this burning agony.

Oh for that earlier death which took the sting

From this most tragic hour for me to bear!

Original:
I lift my heavy heart up solemnly,
As once Electra her sepulchral urn,
And, looking in thine eyes, I overturn
The ashes at thy feet. Behold and see
What a great heap of grief lay hid in me,
And how the red wild sparkles dimly burn
Through the ashen greyness. If thy foot in scorn
Could tread them out to darkness utterly,
It might be well perhaps. But if instead
Thou wait beside me for the wind to blow
The grey dust up,... those laurels on thine head,
O My beloved, will not shield thee so,
That none of all the fires shall scorch and shred
The hair beneath. Stand further off then! Go.

And finally I tried someone more modern—John Berryman. Not entirely logically coherent, the meter is worse, and again it doesn't really get the rhyme scheme, but it does sort of get his tone.

Jarvis:
I lift—lift you five States away your glass,

And drain all Manhattan, from East to West—

As if you were here.

I forget your face in a blur of curls;

The old cathedral's call and counter-call;

Faces turn hands High Mass down the nave.

While I sit here safe knowing you are well —

And spare one toast for C. L. for whom I grieve—

And another for the blind-eyed boy who died:

So that the last of all, my dear thin wife —

I must not call you by a name of mine —

May have beside her in her room at bedtime

A little hot water and a certain rhyme…

Three down, and eleven to go.

Original:
I lift—lift you five States away your glass,
Wide of this bar you never graced, where none
Ever I know came, where what work is done
Even by these men I know not, where a brass
Police-car sign peers in, wet strange cars pass,
Soiled hangs the rag of day out over this town,
A juke-box brains air where I drink alone,
The spruce barkeep sports a toupee alas—

My glass I lift at six o'clock, my darling,
As you plotted . . Chinese couples shift in bed,
We shared today not even filthy weather,
Beasts in the hills their tigerish love are snarling,
Suddenly they clash, I blow my short ash red,
Grey eyes light! and we have our drink together.

Overall, it did much better than I thought it would! Obviously, they aren't as good as the originals, but making them is very fun haha

LifeDeathTime

It's funny cause we're all going to die anyways
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 28, 2017
Austin, TX
Some experiments in sonnet-writing:

The first one I tried was Shakespeare. The description I gave it was "This is a sonnet in the style of Shakespeare; it is 14 lines and has a rhyme scheme of ABAB CDCD EFEF GG." I gave it the first line of Sonnet 60 to see how similar or different it would turn out; it ended up just copying the poem's original next 3 lines (so much for plagiarism I guess?) but the rest of its lines are original I think. I'm pretty impressed with how it got the sound of the Elizabethan period, and most of the lines are 10 syllables and scan properly, although the rhyme scheme was kind of thrown out the window. Not sure what that thing at the end is.

Jarvis sonnet:

Original:

Then I decided to try some other time periods. This one is Elizabeth Barrett Browning from the Victorian era. A couple of lines were 8 syllables instead of 10, but I think it made a better attempt at rhyme.

Jarvis:

Original:

And finally I tried someone more modern—John Berryman. Not entirely logically coherent, the meter is worse, and again it doesn't really get the rhyme scheme, but it does sort of get his tone.

Jarvis:

Original:

Overall, it did much better than I thought it would! Obviously, they aren't as good as the originals, but making them is very fun haha
Wow, I've never tried it for poetry but that is very interesting.

Considering how abstract and metaphoric poetry can be, I'm pleasantly surprised.

pat9000

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 29, 2018
Nashville, TN
I kind of wish I could become a machine learning engineer and not only deeply understand how such a futuristic technology works but also be able to build stuff on top of GPT-3 myself. But I don't have the intellectual capacity. And even if I could do it given enough studying time, I don't think I'm ready to invest so much time and effort into it.

I've been studying machine learning for a few weeks now. After seeing how capable AI is and what's it can do, I'm a firm believer. Been slamming Python and data science courses on Udemy for biz and Sololearn. Trade-ideas.com uses an AI called, Holly the AI, and it trades market cycles for you etc., Another app I use is Cryptohopper and they have an AI that studies the movements of crypto. So freaking cool.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.