The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fastlane Fasting Friends

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
wait is lemon water allowed?

I remember Rhonda Patrick saying on the Joe Rogan podcast that technically speaking, anything that's not water has to be metabolized by the liver, and that includes plain tea.
So technically it would all constitute breaking the fast, but she also said its not an all or nothing situation either.

Lemon has sugar in it though, so id strongly presume this will break your fast hard.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I remember Rhonda Patrick saying on the Joe Rogan podcast that technically speaking, anything that's not water has to be metabolized by the liver, and that includes plain tea.
So technically it would all constitute breaking the fast, but she also said its not an all or nothing situation either.

Lemon has sugar in it though, so id strongly presume this will break your fast hard.

Ok that's out water n tea can go home.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Hey @MTF since I eat one meal a day at dinner time, I will start my 3-day fast after my meal on Tuesday and end it with a meal on Friday night at the same time. That will be 72hrs for me unless I'm missing something. Otherwise it is a 4-day fast because of my eating schedule.

Please let me know if this doesn't seem right. I don't want to push too hard considering I'm 2/3 thru 75Hard and need to be able to keep up my exercise.

Yeah that's why I'm calling it a 3-day fast and not a 72-hour fast because you fast for three entire days plus the night you sleep before the first full day and the night after the last full day.

It's like with a full day fast vs a 24-hour fast. The first one is skipping the entire day of eating, the other one exactly 24 hours. Technically when doing a 24-hour fast you can have your last meal on, say, Wednesday morning, and the next one on Thursday morning, while a full day fast means skipping the entire Wednesday, so it's always more than 24 hours, usually about 36 hours at least.

I'll probably eat my last meal on Tuesday around 3 PM, if not sooner, and eat the next meal on Saturday probably around 11 AM so this will be 92 hours for me and 96 hours for you if you eat at exactly the same hours.

If you feel you're pushing too hard and it might jeopardize your 75Hard challenge then by all means make it easier as 75Hard is probably a more important thing for you right now.

I exercise two or three times a day as well and plan to keep it up for the entire fast, so I think you can do it as well but you'll know best.

I’m actually seeing a diet coach/personal trainer right now and he recommends eating smaller, more frequent meals everyday instead of fasting which puts more strain on your system due to the ever changing blood sugar levels. Will let you guys know my progress as a good comparison/contrarian diet plan.

Actually intermittent fasting might be effective for diabetes prevention, so I'm not sure what he means by putting more strain on your system due to the ever changing blood sugar levels.

Are you all using any apps to track? There are a lot of good fasting apps out there. Maybe there's one with shared view for fasts? Good be good to build a little support group of forum fasters and intermittent fasters

Let's just post updates on the forum. I never used any apps and I'm not sure why use it. After all, you're only tracking one thing, and that's how many hours into the fast you are.

I do 20/4 most days and a 48 hour fast once a week (water and coffee/tea). I haven't done a 72 hour and I haven't don't a water only. I'll give it a try, though I have a feeling the 72 hours will be easier than the no coffee... ;-)

Glad you're joining in! 10 people in. As mentioned above, technically it will be longer than 72 hours.

Yeah, the last time I did a 3-day fast it was with caffeine, though I think I only drank it the first day and maybe the second day.

I am eating ALOT right now lol, also being prepared to, unlike the 75 day challenge.

I have my lemons squeezed into a container and sea salt portioned ready to go.

No lemon mate, just water. Also, don't overeat before this as it kind of defeats the purpose.

im curious if the 5 stages of fasting can all be reached on a lower level with consistent 20/4 intermittent fasting.

In the article it says that by 72 hours, old immune cells are broken down. So does that happen at all after say a month of 20/4 intermittent fasting?

Or do we have no other choice than to simulate starvation mode for 3 days lol

Quoting this article:

While autophagy is very difficult to measure outside of a lab environment, many experts agree that the autophagy process initiates in humans after 18-20 hours of fasting, with maximal benefits occurring once the 48–72 hour mark has been reached. If this sounds daunting, keep in mind that doing intermittent fasts will still give you benefits, but periodically (a few times a year depending on your personal risk factors) you might consider a longer fast to fully activate autophagy and do some spring cleaning for your cells.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
i have a coffee addiction, is caffeine tablets acceptable or just ride it out?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
i have a coffee addiction, is caffeine tablets acceptable or just ride it out?

Ride it out man, it's a self-discipline challenge as well. I have a habit of drinking tea in the morning to begin work so this will be hard for me, too.

KnightByDay

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
414%
Oct 28, 2017
South Carolina
Yeah that's why I'm calling it a 3-day fast and not a 72-hour fast because you fast for three entire days plus the night you sleep before the first full day and the night after the last full day.

It's like with a full day fast vs a 24-hour fast. The first one is skipping the entire day of eating, the other one exactly 24 hours. Technically when doing a 24-hour fast you can have your last meal on, say, Wednesday morning, and the next one on Thursday morning, while a full day fast means skipping the entire Wednesday, so it's always more than 24 hours, usually about 36 hours at least.

I'll probably eat my last meal on Tuesday around 3 PM, if not sooner, and eat the next meal on Saturday probably around 11 AM so this will be 92 hours for me and 96 hours for you if you eat at exactly the same hours.

If you feel you're pushing too hard and it might jeopardize your 75Hard challenge then by all means make it easier as 75Hard is probably a more important thing for you right now.

I exercise two or three times a day as well and plan to keep it up for the entire fast, so I think you can do it as well but you'll know best.

I see now, thanks for breaking it down. I'll consider it more today. I am tapering off caffeine by just having one cup of coffee this morning.

I have a coffee date Saturday morning for 2 hours, which might be a little brutal with only water and 80+ hours into a fast haha. Will decide tonight.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
I see now, thanks for breaking it down. I'll consider it more today. I am tapering off caffeine by just having one cup of coffee this morning.

I have a coffee date Saturday morning for 2 hours, which might be a little brutal with only water and 80+ hours into a fast haha. Will decide tonight.

You have a coffee date Saturday? Perfect, 3 day fast then Saturday is all yours. Why wait to decide? In or out, there’s nothing stopping you!

Boyd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Apr 2, 2011
Florida
Count me in. This is actually great timing for me as it will be a nice transition into the new, healthier lifestyle I had planned to start next week anyway.

KnightByDay

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
414%
Oct 28, 2017
South Carolina
You have a coffee date Saturday? Perfect, 3 day fast then Saturday is all yours. Why wait to decide? In or out, there’s nothing stopping you!

Good point, I had in my mind I wouldn't drink coffee Saturday either for some reason. Must have been half asleep still. I'm in.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
I did 36 hours on just water and coffee last month, it wasn't too bad.. I prefer just doing 18 hours every Mon, Tue, Wed though, it integrates better with my lifestyle.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Count me in. This is actually great timing for me as it will be a nice transition into the new, healthier lifestyle I had planned to start next week anyway.

Awesome, 11 participants!

Good point, I had in my mind I wouldn't drink coffee Saturday either for some reason. Must have been half asleep still. I'm in.

Great to hear that. As I mentioned, I'll also be exercising at least two or three times a day, so it will be interesting to see how it affects our performance.

I did 36 hours on just water and coffee last month, it wasn't too bad.. I prefer just doing 18 hours every Mon, Tue, Wed though, it integrates better with my lifestyle.

Yeah, makes sense, that's what I like so much about intermittent fasting - you can adapt it to serve your lifestyle better.

Very interesting video about the effects of fasting on the body.

I think that it's indeed easier to just not eat the entire day than restrict your calories. I used to track every single calorie and weigh my food and it was extremely tiring compared to fasting.

Gotta represent the Aussies on this one and kickstart this thing off.

Lead the way!

By the way, I noticed that your target is 12:35 AM on July 20 which makes it a 72-hour fast. I guess you're not planning to eat past midnight, though, so you'll break the fast when you wake up in the morning on July 20, right?

I just finished my last meal at 4:51 PM. I had to go buy some mineral water and then needed to finish eating some fruits that would otherwise spoil by Saturday (I hate throwing food away). Let the fast begin.

Last edited:

Hopeful

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 8, 2019
I fast about once a week: primarily because my digestive system gives up and stops working every few days. :happy:

This is kind of gross-sounding, but have you guys considered water enemas? If you are aiming to get toxins out of your system, they work very well for that purpose.

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I plan to start tonight at 7pm EST and stop at 1pm EST on Saturday. 90 hours total.

Scheduling 9 hours a sleep for the next 4 nights.

Bought 4 gallons of water.

Planning some activities to stay busy on Saturday morning.

fishgodeep

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
374%
Oct 11, 2015
Edmonton
Hello everyone,

I am in! Shout out to @Sander and @MTF for starting this. I was going to do my own 48 hour fast starting last night but I stumbled on this thread and I was reminded of the old saying 'Misery loves company'. So lets all be miserable together :rofl: .

I'm on Mountain time and will be starting tonight after dinner around 9pm. Like @KnightByDay I am also doing the 75 Hard programme. Right now I plan on doing a 72 hour fast, so that my last meal is Tuesday night with my next being Friday night. However it's quite likely I'll get to this point feel the competitive urge to not tap out before the rest of you ha. We'll see.

Anyway, book me in for 72 hours starting tonight. Hopefully no one dies as @MTF may be liable

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
Going to do this next week. Those doing the fast right now, are you still working out/ going to the gym?

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Going to do this next week. Those doing the fast right now, are you still working out/ going to the gym?

I will be.

A friend of mine has started to go and he's asked me to show him around the weight room and what to do.

So even if I don't have the energy to lift I can go and chat to folk and stay busy.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Awesome, 11 participants!

Great to hear that. As I mentioned, I'll also be exercising at least two or three times a day, so it will be interesting to see how it affects our performance.

Yeah, makes sense, that's what I like so much about intermittent fasting - you can adapt it to serve your lifestyle better.

I think that it's indeed easier to just not eat the entire day than restrict your calories. I used to track every single calorie and weigh my food and it was extremely tiring compared to fasting.

Lead the way!

By the way, I noticed that your target is 12:35 AM on July 20 which makes it a 72-hour fast. I guess you're not planning to eat past midnight, though, so you'll break the fast when you wake up in the morning on July 20, right?

I just finished my last meal at 4:51 PM. I had to go buy some mineral water and then needed to finish eating some fruits that would otherwise spoil by Saturday (I hate throwing food away). Let the fast begin.

Hey mate!

That is correct i will be eating when i wake up at 8:00 am that day.

I have been going to the gym with a friend late at night as we both have messed up hours at work.

But i am pushing bed time to midnight at the latest from now on so i can still get up early and get a jumpstart on the day.

KnightByDay

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
414%
Oct 28, 2017
South Carolina
Finished my dinner, it's just past 8:30pm eastern, here we go! Excited to test my discipline over the next few days.

I will be taking my supplements still because I have specific markers I am trying to improve. I may supplement with potassium and/or sodium during the day if I get light headed, especially considering how hot it has been here in central Florida. I might need the electrolytes.

Successful Steve

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Nov 3, 2018
I’ve been doing a 40 day challenge of doing a carnivore diet and only having one meal and keeping it under 500-700 calories a day. I also fast once each week with no calories.

I’m on day 22 and have lost 12 pounds so far. My goal is to lose 20 pounds in 40 days.

Went from XL to L and 36 to 35 waist so far and still have 18 days to go.

I did fail and ate junk food about 6 of those 22 days though.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Quoting this article:

While autophagy is very difficult to measure outside of a lab environment, many experts agree that the autophagy process initiates in humans after 18-20 hours of fasting, with maximal benefits occurring once the 48–72 hour mark has been reached. If this sounds daunting, keep in mind that doing intermittent fasts will still give you benefits, but periodically (a few times a year depending on your personal risk factors) you might consider a longer fast to fully activate autophagy and do some spring cleaning for your cells.

dam, ill have to do a 3 day fast once in a while then.

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
So this 3 day fast... No food nothing just water...for 3 days....

I couldn't even make 1 day on the Andy frisella challenge...

I guess I'm a weak jelly fish, so I'm gonna go for it.

3 day fast just water.

I'll use this thread as support.

Any advice on how to deal with getting hangry?
Really this fast helps build conviction with yourself and your self respect. Why do some people just fail at everything and some succeed? Let’s take it even further. Why do some succeed then some take it to that next level? We are all human but those guys seem super human. They are not. They did things like this month by month. Then year by year. Then decades by decades. Their convictions grew so strong they can feel it in their damn body. When they say they are going to do it, they do it. That is what separates the champion from everyone else.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I am in! Shout out to @Sander and @MTF for starting this. I was going to do my own 48 hour fast starting last night but I stumbled on this thread and I was reminded of the old saying 'Misery loves company'. So lets all be miserable together :rofl: .

Awesome, let's all feel magnificent, majestic, mighty, and merry, definitely not miserable, together. The right mindset is key :)

That makes us 12, and 13 with @Briah Suh who's been doing a 5-day fast and plans to finish on Saturday as well.

going strong fam!

I work with food every day so i have to get mentally prepared being around it all the time on my fast, first shift on a fast is tonight so it will be good prep for the upcoming days.

From my experience as long as you're determined, being around food shouldn't bother you too much, though you'll probably smell it from a mile away by tomorrow.

@Bearcorp how's your first full day going?

DAY 1

It's day 1 for me. I had my last meal at 4:51 PM yesterday so I'm 15 hours into the fast now.

Starting weight: 187 lbs / 84.9 kg

Today I have the toughest workout during the entire fast, but since it's day one it doesn't matter. Time to get to work without my usual dose of tea.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
So far so good! Craved a coffee for an hour or so earlier today but I've been busy which took my mind off it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.