The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Facebook Ads: Create Custom Audience from a Group?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Alright Fastlane brain trust. I need your help here.

I’m considering doing a crowdfunding campaign for my business. The great thing about my niche, is that there are several large, active support groups for the illness we serve. I’m active in the groups and have gotten the blessing to post the campaign there, but we know reach and engagement can be random on big groups.

The largest group has around 40,000 members in it....

Is there a way to create a custom audience to target those members?

Any way I can scrape the members list to create one?

If I’m going to succeed at the crowdfunding campaign, I need buy in from my target audience, fast. So I’d rather control impressions and engagement through ads, and not rely on facebooks algorithms just by posting.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

Deleted74396

@elusive97 Is this in your wheelhouse?
Actually it is! I got excited seeing this for real haha.

If I’m going to succeed at the crowdfunding campaign, I need buy in from my target audience, fast. So I’d rather control impressions and engagement through ads, and not rely on facebooks algorithms just by posting.

Not everyone will be interested in your offering, so paying for the ad to be shown in front of ALL 40,000 people could just be a waste of money. Additionally, you can't just target group members as I'm sure you've seen. There are a couple of workarounds though, and you'll only be targeting people who are engaged and actively interested:
-Make sure you have your FB pixel set up on your website. Create content that will appeal to your audience, then share those links into your groups! This is great as you don't need to be on a business page which can make the share look more authentic.
-Create videos or lives from your business page and share into the group. Make sure these are engaging and the sort of content your ideal customer would love to watch, this will bolster the reach in the first place. Then, in ads manager you can go to audiences dashboard and set up an engagement audience based on video/live views.
-Once you launch the campaign, pay the admins of the other group to put an ad as the sticky post/cover image, and do the same with yours. Again it won't reach everyone but the people who are checking those groups actively will see it!

I'd really utilise your authority in the related groups you're active in to talk about how you can help them, what you're doing, etc. once you launch your campaign. Facebook favours real authentic conversation so just be honest and connect with people and you can get killer organic reach. If you really need to target more of the 40k than you're able to by finding your engaged audience, see if there are any pages they like in your niche that you could target the fans of

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Share a offer (or blog post) geared towards your ideal customers.

Something that that only they'd want, that is very much related to the problem/thing you'll be creating a crowd funding for.

Have your FB pixel installed on that landing page.... and then you can build custom audiences from the people that visit that page.

Again, make sure it pre-qualifies people, so that people that are curious or not really interested in your offer don't click.

i.e X solution for single mothers making less than $30k/year ... click here to get this guide that I wrote just for women like you.

Everyone else is going to avoid that post coz its clearly not for them.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Actually it is! I got excited seeing this for real haha.

Not everyone will be interested in your offering, so paying for the ad to be shown in front of ALL 40,000 people could just be a waste of money. Additionally, you can't just target group members as I'm sure you've seen. There are a couple of workarounds though, and you'll only be targeting people who are engaged and actively interested:
-Make sure you have your FB pixel set up on your website. Create content that will appeal to your audience, then share those links into your groups! This is great as you don't need to be on a business page which can make the share look more authentic.
-Create videos or lives from your business page and share into the group. Make sure these are engaging and the sort of content your ideal customer would love to watch, this will bolster the reach in the first place. Then, in ads manager you can go to audiences dashboard and set up an engagement audience based on video/live views.
-Once you launch the campaign, pay the admins of the other group to put an ad as the sticky post/cover image, and do the same with yours. Again it won't reach everyone but the people who are checking those groups actively will see it!

I'd really utilise your authority in the related groups you're active in to talk about how you can help them, what you're doing, etc. once you launch your campaign. Facebook favours real authentic conversation so just be honest and connect with people and you can get killer organic reach. If you really need to target more of the 40k than you're able to by finding your engaged audience, see if there are any pages they like in your niche that you could target the fans of

Those are some awesome ideas!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
(Add the Google pixel too if you can.)

HelloPolly

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Dec 1, 2019
Lol I created this account to share my input but members anove already gave some good answers. Mine is you can post something in the group and you can use that post as an ad or this is little advance you can bring and combine the audiences from that post by duplicating the ad then edit the ad after to what you want.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
All great suggestions guys.

However, I’ve already done most of this.

I’m looking for a shortcut, a way around the long process of posting content and getting people to ping my pixel.

Ive been active in these groups for a couple of years, but they’re large, very active groups, so posts often get burried in the shuffle.

If I were to build a custom audience based on my pixel, I’d only get a fraction of the groups audience. I admit, site traffic hasn’t been my biggest priority in the past.

Essentially, is there any way to scrape the list of group members, build a CSV and make them a custom audience?

iizu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
260%
Jan 23, 2016
Finland
Google found this.

This is something to consider:

"Proxy:
Since Phantombuster's servers are located all around the world, Facebook might to consider those login attempts as unusual activities. It's likely that they'll then temporarily lock your account and ask you to confirm your login. In order to use the Facebook APIs to their max potential, we recommend using a proxy close to you. "

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
is there any way to scrape the list of group members, build a CSV and make them a custom audience?
My gut tells me that if you could do this then it would get Facebook into hot water again.

If you built a custom audience then what compelling ad/content/offer would you put in front of them? What happens if you put it in front of them now?

If content on Facebook gets buried super fast and is seen by few, then how can you leverage that?

(Bear in mind I don’t really know Facebook... I’m just spitballing.)

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
Alright Fastlane brain trust. I need your help here.

I’m considering doing a crowdfunding campaign for my business. The great thing about my niche, is that there are several large, active support groups for the illness we serve. I’m active in the groups and have gotten the blessing to post the campaign there, but we know reach and engagement can be random on big groups.

It's a good idea, but you can't scrape or collect users/emails from members of a Facebook Group to create a custom audience in fb. I have successfully done similar tactics with Instagram though. I used an online tool to collect email lists of either followers of particular accounts in my niche or users who have recently used hashtags related to my niche. With those lists, I created custom/lookalike audiences in Facebook and had pretty good results with this method. It's a paid tool though, so not sure if I can link it on the forum or not..

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
It's a good idea, but you can't scrape or collect users/emails from members of a Facebook Group to create a custom audience in fb. I have successfully done similar tactics with Instagram though. I used an online tool to collect email lists of either followers of particular accounts in my niche or users who have recently used hashtags related to my niche. With those lists, I created custom/lookalike audiences in Facebook and had pretty good results with this method. It's a paid tool though, so not sure if I can link it on the forum or not..

Actually I believe you can, with third party apps, but you have to be the admin. I might have done it in the past with my group, but I could not get the email, only the username and the facebook ID I believe...

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
Actually I believe you can, with third party apps, but you have to be the admin. I might have done it in the past with my group, but I could not get the email, only the username and the facebook ID I believe...
It's not possible. He's also not the Admin of the group which he's trying to extract such details from. In addition, even if he was it wouldn't make a difference. I'm the Admin of a Facebook Group and I can confirm, I have no access to members emails.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.