The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Elon Musk being sued for fraud by SEC

Anything related to investing, including crypto

Bryan James

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 1, 2018
Texas, USA
So the SEC has officially filed a subpoena for Elon under the charge of fraud after he tweeted about taking Tesla private, then reversing. Stock price dropped immediately and after-hours stock price looks really bad. I'm an investor (not in Tesla) so I tend to look at business news from that perspective. I'm curious, what do you guys (or ladies) see for Tesla and their shareholders within the coming months/year? Obviously it's not good for the very short term but what about long term? Think Tesla will recover or only get worse? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
Although I respect Musk hustle and intelligence he is clearly a shady MFer.... I dont agree with everything the sovereign man simon says but he has been spot on regarding tesla and musks activities.... Its the price he pays for competing with the big dogs in energy (oil) and automotive industries....

More hilarious facts about Tesla from a hedge fund manager who's short the stock

Betting Against Tesla: Short-Sellers Make Their Case

This is from sovereign man.
"
August 28, 2018
Sovereign Valley Farm, Chile

There’s no doubt you know the story…

On August 7, in the middle of the trading day, Tesla founder Elon Musk surprised investors with a tweet saying he was considering taking Tesla private at $420 per share (a $72 billion valuation) with “funding secured.” He quickly followed up with “Investor support is confirmed.”

Shares of Tesla soared 13% to $387 on the cryptic social media update from Tesla’s exalted chief.

The news created a media frenzy around the already red-hot company (and prompted the SEC to investigate Musk and Tesla for potentially lying to investors about a takeover). A single tweet – while the market was still open, no less – was an odd and informal way to announce such a major event.

Did Musk consult Tesla’s board of directors before making this public? Did they even know of his plans to take the company private? Is any of this even true?

It didn’t matter to Tesla’s shareholders, who believe Musk walks on water and his tweets are gospel. So the stock price soared.

And the deal made sense for Musk…

Investors, including himself, would make a fortune.

And he would no longer be bothered by those pesky short sellers, reporting enormous losses to the public and nagging production deadlines (which Teslacontinually misses)…

As a private company, Musk wouldn’t even have to ask shareholders’ permission for a $50 billion pay package.

Only, Tesla isn’t going private.

Last Friday, in a blog post (you know the announcement has got to be important if it’s escalated to blog post formality) Musk announced Tesla would stay public.

He gave a bunch of excuses for the decision, including going private would be more time consuming than he realized and that his beloved retail shareholders (his congregation) couldn’t own shares in a private company.

Tesla shares sold off yesterday and now trade more than $20 below the price before Musk announced the go-private deal.

Once again, Elon Musk made a grand claim to shareholders and didn’t back it up.

I am honestly curious how this guy has any credibility left with shareholders. How many times do people need to be misled, lied to and underwhelmed before they finally realize that Elon Musk is not going to walk across water and deliver.

Here’s the big thing Tesla shareholders are missing… you have to separate the vision from the product and the product from the business. They are three separate things.

I’ll be the first to say that Elon has incredible vision, well visions. He wants to save the world from Skynet, go to Mars, eliminate traffic, build a hyperloop, save Thai boys from a cave. He has lots of great ideas.

And, even better than that, he actually puts effort into making these ideas happen. Lots of people come up with ideas, but few actually take steps to put them into action.

For example, Musk proposed an underwater submarine to save the Thai boys. It turns out it was a bad design and wouldn’t have worked. But at least the guy came up with the idea and threw resources at it.

Simply put, there just aren’t a lot of action takers in the world.

And there’s no doubt Tesla has a great product. It’s a cool, fast car with good tech behind it.

But the vision and the product are different than the actual business.

And the business is a disaster.

Tesla—the business-- has a history of constantly overpromising and underdelivering – losing money, missing deadlines and sending the stock up and down along with Musk’s Twitter bullshit.

It’s incredible that the stock rises and falls based on Musk’s tweets. He’s proven time and again, the market shouldn’t put any weight into what he says. Still, he looms as this cult figure.

But if you separate his personality from Tesla, what are you left with?

You have a company that’s hemorrhaging cash ($717 million in the last quarter), losing money on every vehicle it sells and building what is arguably the most expensive manufacturing facility ever created in the history of the world (the Gigafactory).

Executives are leaving in droves and the company can’t recruit a COO. That sole fact, by the way, should terrify shareholders. One of the sexiest, high-flying companies in the world today can’t recruit a top executive…

Oh, by the way, even with everything above, Tesla is worth more than BMW, General Motors and Ford (companies with long operating histories, actual profit and large dividends).

The old car manufacturers might not have the vision of Musk. But they do have great products and great businesses.

The ideal investment has all three traits – great vision, great product and a great business.

At the end of the day, if you’ve got vision and a great product, but the business is crap… it doesn’t matter. Because you’re investing in the business.

This fact should be painfully obvious.

Yet there seem to be, literally, millions and millions of people who are blindly throwing money at Tesla (the money-losing business) based on their beliefs about Elon’s grand vision or the quality of the products.

It’s become so absurd that a single Tweet can literally create or destroy tens of billions of dollars of value in the company’s stock despite a track record of not being able to back it up.

Fool me once, shame on Elon.

Fool me twice, shame on anyone crazy enough to believe such unfiltered garbage.
"

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
All I know is that I can't wait for self-driving electric vehicles. It's the future.

Tesla will recover.
i hope so too. but it will not come without a fight from the grumpy ole bastards lol

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Doesn't surprise me, as a private citizen you can make comments on certain things, but not as an executive in a public company. It's security manipulation -- when he said it I knew he just stuck his foot in some big doo-doo.

Bryan James

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 1, 2018
Texas, USA
Right about it being security manipulation. My guess is that this was his way of trying to scare short-sellers and thereby raise the stock price. From what I know, he really has a problem with his short-sellers.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Right about it being security manipulation. My guess is that this was his way of trying to scare short-sellers and thereby raise the stock price. From what I know, he really has a problem with his short-sellers.
Yeah I'd go private too if Short Sellers kept bothering me.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Stock took a beating today as well, pretty significant % move.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Anyone who’s not buying a shitton of Tesla stock right now it totally nuts. It’s on sale. Get it while it’s hot.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
on the topic of self driving cars... you can pry my manual transmission from my cold dead hands.

On the topic of Elon, I knew as soon as he pulled that stunt he was screwed. No idea what he was thinking. Dude has lost his friggin mind.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Anyone who’s not buying a sh*tton of Tesla stock right now it totally nuts. It’s on sale. Get it while it’s hot.

I got lucky, I sold my Tesla options on Tuesday. But I also sold Amazon that morning so it’s a wash for me.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I got lucky, I sold my Tesla options on Tuesday. But I also sold Amazon that morning so it’s a wash for me.
damn.... well at least you didn’t tank

my point is: i think it’s highly unlikely that tesla is gonna stay down, so might as well grab it while it’s cheap

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Last edited:

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Musk is going to build a space bank on Mars and give the SEC the finger in 10 years.

craig1928

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 31, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
I thought I was the only one left! I literally had my Mercedes shipped up from Florida because you can’t find standard Benzes anywhere.
most people over here drive manual

jon2089

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Feb 11, 2017
US
It was just settled. Elon loses chairman position for 3 years but still remains CEO and also has a $20 million fine. Tesla the company is also fined $20 million

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

jon2089

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Feb 11, 2017
US
most people over here drive manual
Manual in the states are only in the cheapest cars under $20k or in sports cars like the Corvette or 911, nothing in between. If you want a sunroof you lose the manual option, want heated seats lose the manual option. I think less then 2% of cars have a manual if I recall.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.