The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Doing the Andy Frisella "75 Hard" Challenge

KnightByDay

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
414%
Oct 28, 2017
South Carolina

fishgodeep

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
374%
Oct 11, 2015
Edmonton
Are you on your first attempt at this challenge? Even if not, would you consider yourself an extremely disciplined person? Extremely organized? Obviously this is a tough challenge and wondering why you think you have been so successful?

No this is my third (and final!) attempt lol. While I appreciate the kind words I haven’t been successful as I haven’t completed it yet. That would be like getting to mile 20 on a marathon and going “well good enough, I won this race” and packing it in. I may fail again this time still have 10 days to go. Final rounds are usually the hardest.

From my experience of living with and being around other people I would consider myself more organized than the average person. I dislike chaos, and always veered towards order. Make my bed first thing every morning, write out my tasks for day, pack my gym bag the night before etc. This is how I’ve always lived not better or worse than anyone else. Just how I run my life

Guys!

@fishgodeep has ten days left!!

I think?!? He will be the first one to finish from our group!!

Thank you, still have a few days to go yet though

AniM

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Apr 11, 2018
DC
I am back to day #1 (well #2 by now).

I did Yoga on Saturday instead of the gym and ended up forgetting to take a picture.

I have since made a massive calendar beside my bed that has everything to track. It goes without out saying that every restart like this is extremely disappointing.

It is quite frustrating that I haven't missed a single workout session in 62 days but have failed on little things. Goes to show how poor I can be with the small details sometimes.

Anyway - back to it. I will update in a few days when I get back some momentum.

Have you considered putting "take a photo" into Jefit somehow? Not sure if you can put custom exercises, but if you can I think that might help. Put it as the last task on every workout.

Or you could tie it with another event like waking up, your shower, finishing your last bottle or water, etc.

BTW I just heard about this, listened to the podcast this morning and I'm interested but not able to do it right now. I've got a bunch of weddings and bachelor parties coming up.

I realize there's never going to be a perfect time to do this but I'd like to be able to enjoy trips I've already planned and paid for, and that includes eating for fun and drinking.

There's a friend's wedding in September that I'm the best man in, after that I'll throw my hat in the ring.

Will be cheering for you guys from the sidelines until then!

Also just because I'm not starting the official challenge until later doesn't mean I can't implement some better habits into my life. I'm already good about reading but I need to up my water and exercise game for sure.

Keep on guys, you're all inspiring to me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
Just got my food prep and there was another treat.

Not this time.

You shall never win again cake...

#nogummybears #nocake #noexcuses

View attachment 25760
That cake looks useless. Glance up and away immediately and say a negative about it. Every one of us already uses NLP naturally from early childhood. It is like self-soothing and child's play in one moment, and it is designed to be enjoyable. Let yourself hear soothing self-talk in critical moments and look off. Look at how often children do it. It's the seed of self-regulation. The voice does not undermine discipline. It is the prototype of praying in life -and-death moments.

Does it help as well to think about how you have raised a tribe here that is doing the challenge or does that get to be besides the point? I would think the latter.

Last edited:

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Have you considered putting "take a photo" into Jefit somehow? Not sure if you can put custom exercises, but if you can I think that might help. Put it as the last task on every workout.

Or you could tie it with another event like waking up, your shower, finishing your last bottle or water, etc.

BTW I just heard about this, listened to the podcast this morning and I'm interested but not able to do it right now. I've got a bunch of weddings and bachelor parties coming up.

I realize there's never going to be a perfect time to do this but I'd like to be able to enjoy trips I've already planned and paid for, and that includes eating for fun and drinking.

There's a friend's wedding in September that I'm the best man in, after that I'll throw my hat in the ring.

Will be cheering for you guys from the sidelines until then!

Also just because I'm not starting the official challenge until later doesn't mean I can't implement some better habits into my life. I'm already good about reading but I need to up my water and exercise game for sure.

Keep on guys, you're all inspiring to me.
I feel ya, my goal is to have it done before I have to fly across the country for a wedding in October!

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I'll update and answer those questions when I get to day 10.

Just keeping my head down till then.

KnightByDay

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
414%
Oct 28, 2017
South Carolina
Day 56, still going strong. At a new all-time low of 191lbs. Trying to get rid of this flab before I post those progress pics I promised. Have an appointment at a martial arts gym on Saturday. Planning to start thai kickboxing for my workouts, mostly because I'm scared shitless of doing a martial art. I've never been in a fight, even as a kid. Trying to push myself more now that I'm on the final stretch of phase 0. Cant believe I've been doing this for only 2 months, it feels like years lol.

fishgodeep

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
374%
Oct 11, 2015
Edmonton
Day 56, still going strong. At a new all-time low of 191lbs. Trying to get rid of this flab before I post those progress pics I promised. Have an appointment at a martial arts gym on Saturday. Planning to start thai kickboxing for my workouts, mostly because I'm scared shitless of doing a martial art. I've never been in a fight, even as a kid. Trying to push myself more now that I'm on the final stretch of phase 0. Cant believe I've been doing this for only 2 months, it feels like years lol.

Congrats on your progress. Out of curiosity what is your diet like? I'm forever curious as to how people choose to fuel themselves especially when it leads to positive outcomes i.e. you loosing weight.

Respect on committing to posting photos. It's a courageous thing to present your vulnerability to the world. And we are never more vulnerable then when we remove our clothes. Obviously your not getting completely naked :rofl: but you understand what I mean.

If weight loss is your goal then Muay Thai is a great choice, it will kick your a$$, metaphorically and literally. Being punched in the face is a transformation experience it's an exercise in dissolving the male ego. It's a really good thing to know that people much smaller than you can kick your a$$ lol.

KnightByDay

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
414%
Oct 28, 2017
South Carolina
Congrats on your progress. Out of curiosity what is your diet like? I'm forever curious as to how people choose to fuel themselves especially when it leads to positive outcomes i.e. you loosing weight.

Respect on committing to posting photos. It's a courageous thing to present your vulnerability to the world. And we are never more vulnerable then when we remove our clothes. Obviously your not getting completely naked :rofl: but you understand what I mean.

If weight loss is your goal then Muay Thai is a great choice, it will kick your a$$, metaphorically and literally. Being punched in the face is a transformation experience it's an exercise in dissolving the male ego. It's a really good thing to know that people much smaller than you can kick your a$$ lol.

Thanks! My diet is Keto with a 23:1 intermittent fast schedule. I have excluded all dairy, nuts, tubers, grains, sweeteners, legumes. I actually recently realized I was under consuming calories and needed to bump up my intake by about 600 calories a day, because I was stalling out and felt like crap. I eat about 1800 calories during my 1-hour window, about 40% protein, 55% fat, 5% carbs (from veggies) and that puts me at around a 25% caloric deficit, all rough numbers.

I don't know that I'll do any sparring, maybe eventually, but I have an ego/fixed mindset problem I am trying to fix, plus the discipline I've read Muay Thai entails is enticing.

Last edited:

fishgodeep

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
374%
Oct 11, 2015
Edmonton
I don't know that I'll do any sparring, maybe eventually, but I have an ego/fixed mindset problem I am trying to fix, plus the discipline I've read Muai Thai entails is enticing.

If you find yourself in a gym that lets you or encourages you to spar straight away. Find a better a gym. And be wary about ‘that guy’. Who’s ‘that guy’?

‘That guy’ exists in many forms in most Martial arts gyms around the world. He’s that guy who who befriends new students and encourages them to get in the ring with him. Just so he can beat the shit out of them. I have fallen for that guys tricks in the past lol.

Politely decline and remember not everyone who practices martial arts is a martial artist

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
If you find yourself in a gym that lets you or encourages you to spar straight away. Find a better a gym. And be wary about ‘that guy’. Who’s ‘that guy’?

‘That guy’ exists in many forms in most Martial arts gyms around the world. He’s that guy who who befriends new students and encourages them to get in the ring with him. Just so he can beat the shit out of them. I have fallen for that guys tricks in the past lol.

Politely decline and remember not everyone who practices martial arts is a martial artist
Oh man, "that guy" lol. It was always some Dutch giant in any of the muay thai classes I did.

I did boxing sparring only twice, after being in group classes doing pad and bag work for some time. Had headaches for at least a day afterwards. Never again.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I can't quite remember but were people in here talking about how this affected their dreams? I'm pretty sure it was in here.

I've noticed a difference big time. I usually NEVER remember dreams. Then lately it seems like I'm having epic sagas that are extremely vivid. Fell asleep watching reservoir dogs last night and had what felt like a 2 hour dream of getting chased by the police lol.

fishgodeep

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
374%
Oct 11, 2015
Edmonton
I can't quite remember but were people in here talking about how this affected their dreams? I'm pretty sure it was in here.

I've noticed a difference big time. I usually NEVER remember dreams. Then lately it seems like I'm having epic sagas that are extremely vivid. Fell asleep watching reservoir dogs last night and had what felt like a 2 hour dream of getting chased by the police lol.

I’ve had a couple of dreams where I broke the challenge. That was traumatic. Woke up in a cold sweat thinking ‘thank God it was just a dream. I didn’t really eat that pasta’

KnightByDay

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
414%
Oct 28, 2017
South Carolina
I’ve had a couple of dreams where I broke the challenge. That was traumatic. Woke up in a cold sweat thinking ‘thank God it was just a dream. I didn’t really eat that pasta’

The terror is real. F*ck milkshakes.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Had some pretty bad headaches when I restarted the challenge and went off coffee completely. Made the workouts suck but sleep has improved (obviously).

Mhinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Jul 23, 2019
Kentucky
I like this idea. Training yourself to be disciplined is necessary if you want to succeed.

My motivation and drive are finally coming back after going through a 2 month slump. Everything just seemed so difficult. I love lifting but I couldn’t make myself go to the gym. I couldn’t make myself stay up after turning off the alarm. I didn’t want to work on business projects. I didn’t want to listen to or read anything educational. I would get angry when doing necessary task around the house. I was constantly letting myself down and it made me feel terrible.

My daily routine was as follows:

-Wake up at 4am
-Journal
-Study Spanish 30 minutes
-Meditate for 15 minutes
-Lift
-Go to work
-Listen to business related audiobooks and podcasts at work. No nonsense allowed
-Product development in the evenings -after 5pm
-Hit Macros
-No junk food of any kind
-In bed by 9:30

I was very strict about this and I kept this up for several months. I would get angry if anything interrupted my routine. It felt amazing in the beginning. I was proud of myself. Then came the slump...

It seems like I repeat this cycle on a consistent basis. Riding a wave of motivation into depression. I think I’m learning something from this.

Every time I lose motivation I have to take a long break to get it back. It doesn’t seem like it’s something I can control. Motivation comes when it wants to not when I want it to. I think I get way too disciplined and I am very hard on myself when I fail. Like most people, I grind in silence. I’m always pushing myself harder because I don’t want to fail. I often wonder if I’m trying hard enough. I don’t have anyone to compare myself to so I just keep ramping it up like I’m competing with Gary V.

What I’m trying to say is that I don’t know that my routine was working as well as I thought it was. Goal numero uno for me is to be a successful product developer. Why do I put obstacles in the way of that? Towards the end of the day it was always a drag. Everyday that went by I was losing willpower without realizing it. My main goal was suffering because of this routine I made up based on all the self development books and podcast I subscribe to.

I know I’m disciplined. Why do I have to push it to the limit? It’s like I set myself up for failure. I build new walls for myself to climb as soon as I reach the top of one. This is beginning to seem like the formula for burnout. Why am I trying to learn Spanish? Why am I meditating? Why do I beat myself up if I don’t check off every daily journal entry?

It seems to me like I was just making it harder on myself. Being disciplined for the sake of being disciplined. Silly right?

Morale of the story:
Make sure to progress daily. Focus on the main goal and create discipline around that goal. All other goals take a backseat. Not to say that there will be no discipline around these goals but it doesn’t matter if I don’t crush it everyday in these areas. I want to quit acting like a drill sergeant that’s never happy or satisfied and start giving myself some credit. I don’t think that I should let myself go into a depression if I am not on pace with Jocko Willink.

Definitely not trying to shit on this thread btw. These challenges can be fun and it makes you realize your potential. Really, what I’m doing is wondering if anyone else has noticed these waves of willpower that seem to come and go. How do you combat them?

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I like this idea. Training yourself to be disciplined is necessary if you want to succeed.

My motivation and drive are finally coming back after going through a 2 month slump. Everything just seemed so difficult. I love lifting but I couldn’t make myself go to the gym. I couldn’t make myself stay up after turning off the alarm. I didn’t want to work on business projects. I didn’t want to listen to or read anything educational. I would get angry when doing necessary task around the house. I was constantly letting myself down and it made me feel terrible.

My daily routine was as follows:

-Wake up at 4am
-Journal
-Study Spanish 30 minutes
-Meditate for 15 minutes
-Lift
-Go to work
-Listen to business related audiobooks and podcasts at work. No nonsense allowed
-Product development in the evenings -after 5pm
-Hit Macros
-No junk food of any kind
-In bed by 9:30

I was very strict about this and I kept this up for several months. I would get angry if anything interrupted my routine. It felt amazing in the beginning. I was proud of myself. Then came the slump...

It seems like I repeat this cycle on a consistent basis. Riding a wave of motivation into depression. I think I’m learning something from this.

Every time I lose motivation I have to take a long break to get it back. It doesn’t seem like it’s something I can control. Motivation comes when it wants to not when I want it to. I think I get way too disciplined and I am very hard on myself when I fail. Like most people, I grind in silence. I’m always pushing myself harder because I don’t want to fail. I often wonder if I’m trying hard enough. I don’t have anyone to compare myself to so I just keep ramping it up like I’m competing with Gary V.

What I’m trying to say is that I don’t know that my routine was working as well as I thought it was. Goal numero uno for me is to be a successful product developer. Why do I put obstacles in the way of that? Towards the end of the day it was always a drag. Everyday that went by I was losing willpower without realizing it. My main goal was suffering because of this routine I made up based on all the self development books and podcast I subscribe to.

I know I’m disciplined. Why do I have to push it to the limit? It’s like I set myself up for failure. I build new walls for myself to climb as soon as I reach the top of one. This is beginning to seem like the formula for burnout. Why am I trying to learn Spanish? Why am I meditating? Why do I beat myself up if I don’t check off every daily journal entry?

It seems to me like I was just making it harder on myself. Being disciplined for the sake of being disciplined. Silly right?

Morale of the story:
Make sure to progress daily. Focus on the main goal and create discipline around that goal. All other goals take a backseat. Not to say that there will be no discipline around these goals but it doesn’t matter if I don’t crush it everyday in these areas. I want to quit acting like a drill sergeant that’s never happy or satisfied and start giving myself some credit. I don’t think that I should let myself go into a depression if I am not on pace with Jocko Willink.

Definitely not trying to shit on this thread btw. These challenges can be fun and it makes you realize your potential. Really, what I’m doing is wondering if anyone else has noticed these waves of willpower that seem to come and go. How do you combat them?

Thank you for sharing this perspective. I think what you’re talking about has got to be a personality thing. I’ve often wondered if a few of us are pushing ourselves too much, staying too strict, etc. That desire to rebel and just quit us exactly why I have failed over and over. I can feel it start building up in me until I just dgaf. But this time I changed something.

I’ve never been self-disciplined about anything in my life. I’m an intelligent, creative person who connects ideas together in ways ppl enjoy. I adore so many things.. but I can’t stick to a freaking schedule for two weeks.

Even with this challenge I self-sabotage about every four days. By that I mean, I’ll sleep in one day and not start drinking water until 11am. My whole schedule goes wonky and suddenly I’m finishing up workouts at midnight.

Ppl, discipline your children with love so they can learn how to do it themselves.

Everyone has a will that must be shaped by kindness AND firmness. Think of it like forging a sword.

Too much kindness or too little and you get bent. Too much discipline or too little and it’s the same problem.

While the spirit cries out for that type of real true love, because being formed for your purpose IS love, the flesh just wants it’s fix to feel comfortable. “No pain!!” Is the flesh’s mantra. But without that sacrifice am I really being me? Or some weaker more pathetic version of myself?

My closest friends say I’m too hard on myself but they don’t know how lazy I’ve been, how much MORE I could be accomplishing if I really tried.

So every day there’s this fight about stupid stuff in my head and whichever side I keep giving power to, even in little ways, will get stronger.

To combat my inner rebellious nature (because we all have David and Goliath raging inside us) I actually hacked the challenge a bit.

I made it WAY harder.

In my mind I added to the challenge quite a bit. On top of everything in the challenge I ALSO need to do journaling, Bible reading, running, web site design, reading with my kids, learn some coding and study this workout book so I can get my personal trainer certification.

Lol. There are only 18 hours in my day!

So inevitably EVERY DAY my rebellious side says “oh screw this!” and I give up and don’t do something really important. Or several things. Lol.

But since all that stuff is ON TOP of the original challenge - it’s fine!! Ha!

My really long point... lol it took me like 20 minutes to write this... is that life needs gentleness and rigidity. Some ppl call it the yin and the yang. I personally feel that our yin and yang are BOTH in the David part of us and BOTH need to be trained so that good part of us can defeat the really selfish lazy worthless angry side. Because Goliath has his yin and yang too...

Oh crap. I’ve gone off the deep end with metaphysical stuff at 6:30 in the morning. Lololol

It sounds like you’ve found a way to naturally take a breather and relax because you have great yang. (ROFL. You know what I mean!)

Meanwhile, by doing this challenge, I’m finding a way to be stronger and more diligent. (Because my yin is badass babyyyy but my yang is sad af.)

Did any of that make sense?! Yeah.. I ramble. Even my brain needs discipline!

(But instead of relying on another person to fulfill that gap in my life I’m doing it myself.)

I’m supposed to be up and walking.. gotta go.

This is legit a two hour convo that I just tried to cram into a thread.

TLDR: Go drink your water. Some of us like philosophical discussions. If you don’t, thats ok we still love you anyways you meathead.

Ok I’m just gonna stop tryna edit this.. ummm suffice to say this challenge has TAUGHT ME SOMETHING EVERY FREAKING DAY about myself. And that? That is priceless.

Mhinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Jul 23, 2019
Kentucky
Thank you for sharing this perspective. I think what you’re talking about has got to be a personality thing. I’ve often wondered if a few of us are pushing ourselves too much, staying too strict, etc. That desire to rebel and just quit us exactly why I have failed over and over. I can feel it start building up in me until I just dgaf. But this time I changed something.

I’ve never been self-disciplined about anything in my life. I’m an intelligent, creative person who connects ideas together in ways ppl enjoy. I adore so many things.. but I can’t stick to a freaking schedule for two weeks.

Even with this challenge I self-sabotage about every four days. By that I mean, I’ll sleep in one day and not start drinking water until 11am. My whole schedule goes wonky and suddenly I’m finishing up workouts at midnight.

Ppl, discipline your children with love so they can learn how to do it themselves.

Everyone has a will that must be shaped by kindness AND firmness. Think of it like forging a sword.

Too much kindness or too little and you get bent. Too much discipline or too little and it’s the same problem.

While the spirit cries out for that type of real true love, because being formed for your purpose IS love, the flesh just wants it’s fix to feel comfortable. “No pain!!” Is the flesh’s mantra. But without that sacrifice am I really being me? Or some weaker more pathetic version of myself?

My closest friends say I’m too hard on myself but they don’t know how lazy I’ve been, how much MORE I could be accomplishing if I really tried.

So every day there’s this fight about stupid stuff in my head and whichever side I keep giving power to, even in little ways, will get stronger.

To combat my inner rebellious nature (because we all have David and Goliath raging inside us) I actually hacked the challenge a bit.

I made it WAY harder.

In my mind I added to the challenge quite a bit. On top of everything in the challenge I ALSO need to do journaling, Bible reading, running, web site design, reading with my kids, learn some coding and study this workout book so I can get my personal trainer certification.

Lol. There are only 18 hours in my day!

So inevitably EVERY DAY my rebellious side says “oh screw this!” and I give up and don’t do something really important. Or several things. Lol.

But since all that stuff is ON TOP of the original challenge - it’s fine!! Ha!

My really long point... lol it took me like 20 minutes to write this... is that life needs gentleness and rigidity. Some ppl call it the yin and the yang. I personally feel that our yin and yang are BOTH in the David part of us and BOTH need to be trained so that good part of us can defeat the really selfish lazy worthless angry side. Because Goliath has his yin and yang too...

Oh crap. I’ve gone off the deep end with metaphysical stuff at 6:30 in the morning. Lololol

It sounds like you’ve found a way to naturally take a breather and relax because you have great yang. (ROFL. You know what I mean!)

Meanwhile, by doing this challenge, I’m finding a way to be stronger and more diligent. (Because my yin is badass babyyyy but my yang is sad af.)

Did any of that make sense?! Yeah.. I ramble. Even my brain needs discipline!

(But instead of relying on another person to fulfill that gap in my life I’m doing it myself.)

I’m supposed to be up and walking.. gotta go.

This is legit a two hour convo that I just tried to cram into a thread.

TLDR: Go drink your water. Some of us like philosophical discussions. If you don’t, thats ok we still love you anyways you meathead.

Ok I’m just gonna stop tryna edit this.. ummm suffice to say this challenge has TAUGHT ME SOMETHING EVERY FREAKING DAY about myself. And that? That is priceless.

I agree with your point of it being a personality issue. When I saw this thread I automatically wanted to jump in and challenge myself. After taking a step back and thinking about it I realized it would take me in the wrong direction. I need my willpower for important things. I don’t want to waste it.

I enjoy these types of challenges, honestly. For some reason they are addicting. I guess it’s the competitive nature and desire to master my emotions. I just wanted to share my experiences with self imposing too many restrictions on my life. I’m assuming that there are many people on this forum that are similar to me. I feel like entrepreneurs have a desire for pain in some ways that others don’t.

I you are interested in joining the challenge I think it’s great! There’s not a person in the world that couldn’t improve in the area of self discipline. But, if you have a difficult goal that you’re trying to achieve I think that your focus could be applied in more purposeful areas and you would receive a better return.

Like I said, I was ready to commit to this challenge. I want to be disciplined and I want to be involved but not just for the sake of being disciplined. I don’t want to waste an ounce of my willpower because I know the wave will come to an end. I want to aim my board in the right direction and ride my wave in a way that I can reap the most rewards. The ride will end and I will have to catch another.

If you’re like me and were tempted to start this challenge I just think you should ask yourself if it’s serving your main purpose. I’m hoping to help someone that may ride their wave of motivation into a depression. Don’t worry about failing at silly things. Don’t be hard on yourself if you didn’t drink a gallon of water. Know your goals and be purposeful with your intent.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I feel, for me personally, it's a way of learning discipline that I've never had. Which will help me achieve goals in the future.

In the end I don't want to be working out twice a day for years on end, but change bad habits into good ones.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I agree with your point of it being a personality issue. When I saw this thread I automatically wanted to jump in and challenge myself. After taking a step back and thinking about it I realized it would take me in the wrong direction. I need my willpower for important things. I don’t want to waste it.

I enjoy these types of challenges, honestly. For some reason they are addicting. I guess it’s the competitive nature and desire to master my emotions. I just wanted to share my experiences with self imposing too many restrictions on my life. I’m assuming that there are many people on this forum that are similar to me. I feel like entrepreneurs have a desire for pain in some ways that others don’t.

I you are interested in joining the challenge I think it’s great! There’s not a person in the world that couldn’t improve in the area of self discipline. But, if you have a difficult goal that you’re trying to achieve I think that your focus could be applied in more purposeful areas and you would receive a better return.

Like I said, I was ready to commit to this challenge. I want to be disciplined and I want to be involved but not just for the sake of being disciplined. I don’t want to waste an ounce of my willpower because I know the wave will come to an end. I want to aim my board in the right direction and ride my wave in a way that I can reap the most rewards. The ride will end and I will have to catch another.

If you’re like me and were tempted to start this challenge I just think you should ask yourself if it’s serving your main purpose. I’m hoping to help someone that may ride their wave of motivation into a depression. Don’t worry about failing at silly things. Don’t be hard on yourself if you didn’t drink a gallon of water. Know your goals and be purposeful with your intent.

Interestingly enough this argument was precisely one of my biggest battles. “How is me using up time on this going to help me do that?!?”

But I’ve never had Discipline. Sooo.. I gotta learn it first. This challenge is forcing me to develop self-control in a way I’ve never done. Ever. Mentally, emotionally, physically.

I do agree that entrepreneurs enjoy pain more than most ppl. I’m competitive down to my bones and when I fail at stuff my instinct is to punish myself by giving into my rebellious nature - I mean it’s WAAAAAAY less than it once was but it’s still me being rebellious. Maybe you punish yourself by going so extreme?

I think Goggins said you have to learn to enjoy the pain.. hm.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
we need some 75hard playlists guys.

Some chill stuff and fast paced. Anybody have anything on Spotify??

Snoophek

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Oct 8, 2016
Today is Day 16 for me. I've intended to write something after two weeks in, so here it goes.

The benefits:
  • I definitely feel more effective.
    • I had a couple of really low days that I pushed through anyways. From as long as I remember, I've been struggling with my energy and mood taking wild swings - from feeling that I'm able to conquer the world to not being able to drag my body from the couch in a matter of days. This didn't really change that much (maybe slightly) and I'm still enjoying this horrendous roller coaster ride. On my bad days the workouts and honestly pretty shitty. But not a single one of them was missed or shorter than 45 minutes. I have to say that I believe more in my ability to push through towards the goal, regardless of the circumstances. And what's more - day by day - I believe more in my ability to achieve goals. It is as if I was providing myself with proof that once I decide to do something, I'm actually able to follow through with action.
  • My motivation has increased.
    • I think this is a direct result of increased sense of efficacy. Because I trust my ability to stick with my goals more, the goals seem more realistic. Or rather, they're no longer mere dreams, but something I can gradually tackle by drawing up good plans of actions and consistently following through with them. I think doing this challenge is like proving to myself that I can do what I set out to do. 75 is stupidly annoying, tiring, inconvenient and quite arbitrary - and it should be this way. It is exactly what is needed in this scenario. We can show ourselves that despite all those nuisances we CAN still stick to it.
  • I'm more excited about my life.
    • And finally, as a result of all this, life seems more exciting. Because I often used to think up great plans and beautiful futures and act like I'm going to achieve them, but deep down I've never trusted myself. I was just daydreaming. I didn't have any proof to show for myself. But right now, I'm starting to see some evidence that what is needed for success, I actually have. And it feels damn good, because my plans seem more real than ever. I start to believe that I can make those plans a concrete reality. And holy shit is that inspiring.

About the challenge:
  • I don't think it ever gets easier.
    • Some things, you just get used to. It is, what it is. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's easier. What's easier is that by this point I have some solid routines set in place and that takes some of the planning/thinking off my mind. But it's still fraking easy to forget about the water when you're out for a few hours and all of a sudden you're downing 1L before going to bed and lo and behold - waking up at least two times to pee. It's still not easy watching people eat stupid cakes or pizzas. Funny thing is, all the people seem to think you're some sort of a lucky bastard that just happens to not crave those things (whilst them having confirmed diabeties and munching on a cake they are really not supposed to eat, but hey, oh-my-god-this-cake-looks-so-delicious-and-I-CAN'T-eat-it-but-it's-so-delicious-so-I'm-gonna-eat-it-anyways. IF YOU HAVE DIABETES AT LEAST HAVE ENOUGH SELF-RESPECT TO NOT MOURN OVER THE FACT WHILE EATING THE FCKING CAKE AND COMPLAINING HOW POOR OF A BEING YOU'RE BECAUSE GOD DIDN'T BLESS YOU WITH SELFDISCIPLINE AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT GOD DAMNIT // rant over). So... it's not that I don't have cravings anymore. But it's rather that they're still there, but this discipline-muscle got stronger. I still know that given the right circumstances it would be really easy to screw it up.
  • I've realized the importance of my surroundings.
    • And what's probably more important, that I'm responsible for the situations I find myself in. If I'm invited for a night out and I know everyone will expect me to drink, I just shouldn't go. That's it. It's about the honesty. I also realize more and more that I've to find new friends. You just become too similar to people you hang out with. Your goals and expectations for life, your general way of thinking just approach a similar level. It's not a matter of being worse or better, but rather wanting different things from life. And I guess it's way harder to do if the people around you don't share your vision for what life is and how to use it.
Anyways, that's already quite long. Thank you for reading and wish you guys the best! For people who try it, there is much to be found within this challenge. Hope your journey is going well and you have a great day!

Fid

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 26, 2017
Wroclaw, Poland
I failed once again because I have not made my diet specific enough.

I was supposed not to eat stuff with lots of added sugar. What I meant was sweet yogurts, milkshakes, soft drinks... But then I ate some grated horseradish, which turned out to contain quite much sugar in the ingredients list.

I've been 99% sure this does not count as failing, but my conscience has been killing me. Back to day 1.

It's funny how the hardest thing for me is to actually make specific goals and rules. I never missed a workout. I never forgot to read or take a selfie. If I broke the diet it was not a moment of weakness but lack of attention.

This is truly a hard, mental challenge.

---

New diet rules, now 100% specific. No need for you to read that, I just want to keep it for my own record.

Remark: it took me over 2 hours to make that list. It's amazing my gut is already telling me I'm cutting corners somewhere and leaving a backdoor while making excuses and rationalizing.

• no alcohol
  • no food/drinks with any amount of sugar in the ingredients list
    • sugar, glucose/dextrose, fructose, syrups (glucose-fructose, agave, rice, corn), caramel, maltose, malts, molasses, and dextrins are not allowed in the ingredients list – these are the most common ones
    • any other types and forms of sugars (e.g. lactose, starch, glycerol) are allowed – to keep me sane
    • honey is allowed
    • meat and cold cuts bought at the butcher's are allowed unless a table of ingredients is provided with sugar on the list
    • food that naturally contains sugars (e.g. fruit, vegetables, dairy, bread, seasonings) is allowed unless containing external, additional sugar in the ingredients list
    • natural sweeteners, like erythritol or stevia, are allowed (just for the record, I'm not using them)
    • this filters out 100% of junk, highly processed or crappy food
    • this filters out 100% of sweets, snacks, pastries, etc.
  • no french fries, pizza or burgers
  • BBQ is allowed unless prepared with sugar
  • eating out:
    • breakfast: scrambled eggs with bread and butter is allowed
    • veggies and salads are allowed
    • grilled/roasted meat and fish are allowed
    • rice, boiled potatoes, and groats are allowed
    • anything else is not allowed
    • any suspicion of sugar being added = not allowed
    • staff's clarification about the sugar may be required and *is binding* (to keep me sane)
  • when in any doubt, skip the food
  • none of the above apply to medicaments or supplements prescribed by a doctor or my dietician. All medicaments and supplements are allowed regardless of the ingredients

Last edited:

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I haven’t lost a pound in three weeks, maybe more. I talked to a trainer today and instead of letting me be vague about my diet he asked lots of questions.

I don’t eat enough protein.

Apparently I’ve been in caloric deficit?? If I haven’t been eating enough my body will store whatever I eat... no wonder I’ve been feeling so slow.. and sleepy.

Anyhoo.. hopefully this helps somebody. I’m gonna start drinking two protein shakes a day instead of having one when I remember... which is hardly ever. Lol.

I need a keeper. Instead I’m gonna put this on my checklist.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Day 21 here and going strong.

I have a little notepad that I log everything in that goes on my pillow so it's the last thing I look at each day. This has saved me a couple times.

Like Andy talks about in the podcast I'm having dreams about failing. One dream I was hanging with friends and someone handed me a beer and I took a sip without thinking. In the dream I was freaked out because I lost the challenge. This intense fear of failure has helped keep me conscious during the day.

Being conscious is the most important part for me. Around day 14 I was feeling like it was getting too routine. I wasn't conscious, so I added some things to make it more challenging. I added 10 min of meditation, 1hr of reading, five minutes of journaling morning and evening, and Im mixing up the exercises to make them more challenging.

Nothing has changed about the core of the challenge, but having more to sink my teeth in helps.

A note about the diet portion of the challenge. I see others struggling with willpower or internal deal making. I have been able to avoid this by choosing the keto diet. I have test strips I pee on to see if I'm still in ketosis. This makes it so I can't cheat. Normally I might cheat my mind but there's no cheating the chemistry in the body. I have no doubt this is the main reason I've been able to stick to this diet. In fact, this is the longest I've ever stuck to anything 100%, in my life....

Here's to another 55 days.

Mhinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Jul 23, 2019
Kentucky
I haven’t lost a pound in three weeks, maybe more. I talked to a trainer today and instead of letting me be vague about my diet he asked lots of questions.

I don’t eat enough protein.

Apparently I’ve been in caloric deficit?? If I haven’t been eating enough my body will store whatever I eat... no wonder I’ve been feeling so slow.. and sleepy.

Anyhoo.. hopefully this helps somebody. I’m gonna start drinking two protein shakes a day instead of having one when I remember... which is hardly ever. Lol.

I need a keeper. Instead I’m gonna put this on my checklist.

Something that helped me was phasing my diet. Alternating from a surplus to a deficit every time I plateaued. “Reverse dieting,” as they call it. This built my metabolism and helped me lose 40 pounds easily. Eating in a caloric deficit for too long will make your body adapt and slow the metabolism. There’s a great podcast called Mind Pump and they speak to this topic often. I hope that helps!

RandD

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Sep 15, 2017
On the way
Thanks @Fox and all other contributors for such a great thread and all the best with your own challenges!

I began this on 7 July in order to improve my discipline, focus and habits. I'm now on day 12 of my second attempt.

My first attempt failed on day 11 after I ended my daily 16 hour fast a few minutes early. I had come home from an early morning circuit session at the gym and immediately drunk my protein shake before realising I was early. Cheating by a few minutes acted on my conscious and for my integrity I started again.

As well as a 16/8 intermittent fast, I'm eliminating virtually all added sugar and unhealthy food like pizza, chips, etcetera. I still eat carbs and drink coffee although have hardly had any bread.

A few days into the challenge I got several headaches in a period lasting over a week. They were particularly bad when resistance training. I figure they could have been from sugar withdrawal. Although I thought I didn't eat much sugar previously, the odd jam on bread or dessert must have been enough to keep my body addicted. At a morning tea last week a plate of top quality patisserie-made cakes stared at me calling my name. Usually I would hoe into them but not this time!

My biggest daily challenge has been finishing the water although some nights I need to drag myself into the reading or second workout. Doing it in winter's cooler, shorter days (southern hemisphere) has added extra challenge including the odd run or walk in the rain.

After 22 days of strict diet and 2 daily workouts I do notice a physical difference. I also feel that my integrity has improved and I'm more likely to tough things out and complete actions that I may have previously given up on.

Bring on the next two months!

njord

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Nov 24, 2016
Thanks @Fox and all other contributors for such a great thread and all the best with your own challenges!

A few days into the challenge I got several headaches in a period lasting over a week. They were particularly bad when resistance training. I figure they could have been from sugar withdrawal. Although I thought I didn't eat much sugar previously, the odd jam on bread or dessert must have been enough to keep my body addicted. At a morning tea last week a plate of top quality patisserie-made cakes stared at me calling my name. Usually I would hoe into them but not this time!

Bring on the next two months!

Yea its proberbly the Keto flu, even if you dont eat sugar there are carbs in alot of food (bread, fruits and even in vegetables) your body is switching to ketosis and can take up to 6 weeks to compleetly adapt from burning carbohydrates to fat.

In this artikel you will find a list of symptoms that you can experince:

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Yea its proberbly the Keto flu, even if you dont eat sugar there are carbs in alot of food (bread, fruits and even in vegetables) your body is switching to ketosis and can take up to 6 weeks to compleetly adapt from burning carbohydrates to fat.

In this artikel you will find a list of symptoms that you can experince:
Man. I have felt like absolute CRAP since 2 days into restarting and I've basically been on a keto diet. I'm not striving for ketosis though, I just felt a high fat low carb diet was good as it had worked for me before. This time I'm seriously struggling though. I thought it was coffee withdrawl. 6 weeks, F*cking hell. Im eating a lot of healthy food but my mind has never been foggier to be honest.
Feels like I've had a headache forever now. Making it kinda difficult to work. If it keeps up I don't know if I can stay on that plan. 6 weeks there's no way lol.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.