The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Doing the Andy Frisella "75 Hard" Challenge

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

Pantheon Brian

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 28, 2019
OK, got a little surprise this morning when I weighed myself. I know most of it was probably just shedding water weight, with all of the water I drank yesterday, but I'm down 2.2 pounds! If that isn't some good motivation to keep going, I don't know what is. Typically when I start doing things to try to lose some weight (better diet, more aerobic exercise) it usually takes up to two weeks to see any results, then all of a sudden "BAM!" a couple of pounds will drop off. Then another long pause before another two pounds will suddenly drop.

I know I can't expect to lose this much this quickly over the 75 days, but I'm hoping for about two pounds per week until I get to my goal weight, about 20 pounds less than my current weight.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
What kind of diet?
Or you just figure something out for yourself (e.g. no junk food/sweets)?
The rules are a "strict diet". So whatever that means to you - will be your own standards.

For me that means no direct sugar (cookies, cake, typical cereal etc).

No drink, drugs, or nonsense. No cheap carbs like pizza or waffles.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
OK, got a little surprise this morning when I weighed myself. I know most of it was probably just shedding water weight, with all of the water I drank yesterday, but I'm down 2.2 pounds! If that isn't some good motivation to keep going, I don't know what is. Typically when I start doing things to try to lose some weight (better diet, more aerobic exercise) it usually takes up to two weeks to see any results, then all of a sudden "BAM!" a couple of pounds will drop off. Then another long pause before another two pounds will suddenly drop.

I know I can't expect to lose this much this quickly over the 75 days, but I'm hoping for about two pounds per week until I get to my goal weight, about 20 pounds less than my current weight.
Dont quote me on it but I have heard before that your body has a very similar brain signal for thirst and hunger. Sometimes you think you are hungry but you are dehydrated. So maybe drinking that much water helps you snack less.

Plus two fitness sessions is a lot of calories. It would be hard not to lose fat.

Great work - keep it going.

reedracer

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
While the numbers there seem random (why exactly 1 gallon of water or exactly 75 days or 2 X 45min workouts), the benefit of following something like this thru is clear. Also, how difficult it is to follow each part of it precisely each day and not even skip one. But discipline and mental toughness are definitely the things I'm struggling with, so this is my day 1.

By the way, thanks for referring it Fox, I've never heard of this podcast before.
Something happens at 40 minutes of cardio. I think you switch to secondary fuel sources, but I can''t find a reference. Here's an article from a hero of mine suggesting doing it every day, though...

fishgodeep

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 11, 2015
Edmonton
(I hope mowing the lawn counts!).
Unfortunately no mowing the lawn doesn't count. Andy specifically mentioned this example while going off on a rant lol. So I guess you not the only person to bring this up. This, along with audiobooks books would be examples of people using 'substitutions' to do the programme more efficiently.

But the point isn't to be as efficient as possible it's to be as effective as possible. For example my J.O.B requires me to walk outside for a few hours everyday. So I could make the justification that my two workouts are already done.

But that defeats the larger purpose of this programme. As @Fox has already stated this is designed to improve your self discipline more than anything else. No substitutions, no cutting corners, no bullshit.

It's great to see a bunch of other self motivated people jump on this. I'm willing to use this thread to keep myself accountable. Nothing quite like the shame of having your peers see you fail to keep you motivated lol.

Currently I am on Day 25. Already failed twice, I have no excuses. I've learned from both of these failures and they'll help me succeed this time around.

Anyway enough talking, time for action. Let's feckin smash this people. :fistbump:

See you all on the other side

Tubs

Building discipline
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Apr 5, 2019
VA
Okay, I am back to day one because I never got the maths right on what a gallon actually is.

"The US gallon is used in the United States and is equal to exactly 231 cubic inches or 3.785411784 liters."

I have been drinking 3 x 1.5 litres which puts me under.
3 x 1.5L = 4.5 liters thoug
Edit: nevermind, someone else already brought it up

Last edited:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
3 x 1.5L = 4.5 liters thoug
Edit: nevermind, someone else already brought it up
Lol ya I don’t know why I thought I was under.

Anyway I failed last from not reading ten pages while on holidays in Israel a few says ago. So either way I’d be back to zero regardless of the water.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
getUnscripted.com
I won't comment on the metrics of the "challenge" but doing ANYTHING within a process mentality for 75 days straight will change your life.

Accomplish this and you probably won't recognize yourself afterwards, either physically or mentally.

kristkaa

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 15, 2015
Estonia
Something happens at 40 minutes of cardio. I think you switch to secondary fuel sources, but I can''t find a reference. Here's an article from a hero of mine suggesting doing it every day, though...
I was more thinking of why exactly 1 gallon. Andy Frisella looks like a huge guy, so for him 1 gallon is OK I guess. But for someone much smaller maybe 3 liters is enough. Me personally, I'm average size so 3.8 liters is probably OK on summer but I will definitely take good care not to drink too much in too short amount of time (to avoid water intoxication). Not sure everyone will if this thing goes viral.

But I totally agree with all the other things especially the benefits of workouts. I'm trying to figure out if 2-hour long run can count as two 45-min workouts. Probably no because its about going out 2 times a day, which for me is mentally harder than going out once for long. But how do you others see this?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Aaaaagggghhhh

Was feeling like a champ yesterday crushing everything, ended up having a great evening talking business with some friends here in Poland, and then went to bed late.

Forgot to read 10 pages.

Not much point in having a list of you don’t check it before finishing the day. Rookie mistake since I had tons of time to get those pages read.

So today is back to day one (attempt five).

I made a promise to do this 100% with zero excuses or comprises so it’s back to the start again. Seems so far the area I need to work on is awareness - my drive and motivation is high but I’m not paying attention to the details.

Pantheon Brian

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 28, 2019
While the numbers there seem random (why exactly 1 gallon of water or exactly 75 days or 2 X 45min workouts), the benefit of following something like this thru is clear. Also, how difficult it is to follow each part of it precisely each day and not even skip one. But discipline and mental toughness are definitely the things I'm struggling with, so this is my day 1.

By the way, thanks for referring it Fox, I've never heard of this podcast before.
I think 1 gallon of water because it's easy to track (at least here in the U.S.). I think he also explains in the podcast linked to in the OP why 75 days - because he had 75 days to meet a fat-loss goal to lose a certain amount of body fat.
Aaaaagggghhhh

Was feeling like a champ yesterday crushing everything, ended up having a great evening talking business with some friends here in Poland, and then went to bed late.

Forgot to read 10 pages.

Not much point in having a list of you don’t check it before finishing the day. Rookie mistake since I had tons of time to get those pages read.

I made a promise to do this 100% with zero excuses or comprises so it’s back to the start again. Seems so far the area I need to work on is awareness - my drive and motivation is high but I’m not paying attention to the details.
Oh man, that sucks! You've got the right attitude, though - keep plugging away at it until you make it.

Last edited:

reedracer

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
FYI I'm reedracer60 on Instagram
I'm into day 2. I drink 32 oz of fairly hotwater with pinch of sea salt and tbsp organic lemon juice 1st thing every day. Then another quart morning, one early afternoon, then one for the rest of the day.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I'm into day 2. I drink 32 oz of fairly hotwater with pinch of sea salt and tbsp organic lemon juice 1st thing every day. Then another quart morning, one early afternoon, then one for the rest of the day.
Cool - I just added you.

Here is a link to my IG if anyone wants to connect there and support each other:

---

So for those who just started/looking to start a key thing you will quickly notice is all the little things you didn't know are messing up your business progress day in and day out.

I thought my issue would be motivation - it isn't. It is awareness and planning. I am seeing a lot of small areas I need to improve on to really get to that next level in life/biz.

The big benefit of this challenge is the meta lessons you start to learn about yourself.

Ocean Man

How may I provide value?
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Sep 26, 2018
Cool - I just added you.

Here is a link to my IG if anyone wants to connect there and support each other:

---

So for those who just started/looking to start a key thing you will quickly notice is all the little things you didn't know are messing up your business progress day in and day out.

I thought my issue would be motivation - it isn't. It is awareness and planning. I am seeing a lot of small areas I need to improve on to really get to that next level in life/biz.

The big benefit of this challenge is the meta lessons you start to learn about yourself.
Followed and sent a message to the both of you! Good luck on the 75-challenging days :)

Primeperiwinkle

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Nov 30, 2018
DFW
I was more thinking of why exactly 1 gallon. Andy Frisella looks like a huge guy, so for him 1 gallon is OK I guess. But for someone much smaller maybe 3 liters is enough. Me personally, I'm average size so 3.8 liters is probably OK on summer but I will definitely take good care not to drink too much in too short amount of time (to avoid water intoxication). Not sure everyone will if this thing goes viral.

But I totally agree with all the other things especially the benefits of workouts. I'm trying to figure out if 2-hour long run can count as two 45-min workouts. Probably no because its about going out 2 times a day, which for me is mentally harder than going out once for long. But how do you others see this?
I have no idea what “water intoxication” could be. I’ve never drank this much water in my life. My skin is already clearing up and feels softer though plus I’m pretty sure my liver likes me better now.
Aaaaagggghhhh

Forgot to read 10 pages.

Oh no!! Dude!! My heart goes out to you.It is really weird what parts of this challenge are hardest.

phone reminder w/ checklist that beeps every hour.
as @MJ DeMarco said, the discipline to do this for 75 days and not accept any excuses will be life changing.
@Benny Lim , this could be your first step!
I’m making a list for everything today.

Followed you!

Today marks my second day. I have always described myself as a flighty or moody or bumblebee type of person. I’m inconsistent. If this challenge can convince ME that I am a disciplined person.. it might actually be life-changing.

I started listening to Frisella’s podcasts too. He yells a lot but everything in his podcast kinda reorients you towards taking control of your life.. which.. I think I need. Sustained proof that I can have self-discipline and new habits that correspond to that.

I’ve overcome a lot, gotten a lot done in my life. I’m not suffering. But I’m definitely nowhere near full potential. So.. onward!

I got up at 5am this morning, worked out for 45min, showered and then went back to bed. Idgaf. It still counts.

Oh!! But this online dude randomly reached out to me from Michigan and said we’d be each other’s accountability partner?!? I’m immediately suspicious of his motives but it’s nice to have that extra person. Lol.

Annnnnd! I joined an online workout group. I think they might hate me already..but again I know I’m an extrovert and just checking in with different ppl HELPS.

Ok, good luck everybody!! F*ck luck! You make it happen!!

fishgodeep

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 11, 2015
Edmonton
I'm trying to figure out if 2-hour long run can count as two 45-min workouts. Probably no because its about going out 2 times a day, which for me is mentally harder than going out once for long. But how do you others see this?
I would agree with you that 1 prolonged workout does not count. It specifically states 2 > 45 min workouts.

Yesterday was fookin hilarious, we had a epic storm where I live. The heavens opened and God relieved himself.

I was driving to the gym while it was down pouring. It was a wall of water, if you've ever experienced anything like then you know you you have to pull over as you can't see 10 feet in front of you.

But I was under the gun for time so I drove down the motorway essentially blind lol. When I arrived at the gym I sprinted to the door only to find it locked. I did my best Jack Nicholson on the door until someone let me in.

Had to walk across the gym to the changing rooms leaving a trail of water behind me. The staff weren't to impressed. But I got it in.

Day 25 in the books. How's everyone else doing? Seems as though water is sticking point for most people

UnrealCreative

It's Only The Beginning.
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Sep 20, 2016
San Juan
Failed this challenge 3-4 times and haven't started again. I'm split.

Don't get me wrong, as @MJ DeMarco put it there is something to be said for sticking to ANYTHING for 75 days straight. Andy also has solid logic behind all the components to this challenge.

But (devil's advocate warning!) there's no magic bullet.

So, I'd encourage anyone taking this on to have it serve as a BASELINE of everything else you do. But recognize that if you want specific results in specific areas, there are better systems for creating a higher yield of results for yourself with less time/effort.

That said if I were to take it on again, it would 100% be for myself (not because Andy convinced me I should), and wouldn't tell a single soul. There IS merit in it, just not right now for me...

Reactions: Roz

ecommercewolf

Contributor
Jan 8, 2019
Dallas, TX
www.instagram.com
Break down the 1 gallon of water into smaller amounts and it becomes much easier...

What I mean by this is 8 of the 16.9 oz water bottles gets you over a gallon.

You can then pour those water bottles into your standard Yeti tumbler such as this

It basically ends up being just a little over 4 servings out of the tumbler.

Granted, VERY large servings but much easier when you look at it as only 4 cups of water.

Primeperiwinkle

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Nov 30, 2018
DFW
Also followed you. If anyone wants an 'accountability partner' (can we come up with a different term, saying that makes me cringe lol) post yours.
I'm @traynordaniel
Tiny lil bitching partner? (What I call them)
Iron friend? (Christian reference)
Mean mate? (Aussie reference)

Ehhh.. Workout partner?!?

Rofl. I’m glad we’re all online.

Pantheon Brian

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 28, 2019
Doing good so far, but we'll see how the weekend goes. These are the days I hardly drink any water (need to set a timer on the phone to remind me), and the diet goes bad. I'm determined, though. Already got my morning run in, and I'm down another .6 pounds (digital scale) for a total of four pounds! I tell ya, there's no motivation like seeing that scale consistently drop. Last night the rest of the family was snacking on chips, but I knew I had to weigh myself this morning, and if I ate any I'd have to start the challenge over, and that was enough to get me through the evening without messing up.

How's everyone else doing?

fishgodeep

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 11, 2015
Edmonton
Already got my morning run in, and I'm down another .6 pounds (digital scale) for a total of four pounds!

How's everyone else doing?
Good job, keep it up :fistbump:. Being able to measure your progress in a tangible way definitely keeps you focused on your goals.

And best of luck with the weekend. I feel your pain, it's Summer after all BBQ's and beer garden season lol.

Being able to control your variables like changes in your routine will ultimately determine your success or failure. Seems as though the reason most people fail (myself included) is there's an unexpected event and you've failed to plan adequately. Which is a good skill to learn

Reactions: Fox

Pantheon Brian

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 28, 2019
Well, back to square one. It was the water that got to me. I got a late start with it, and just didn't catch up. Back on the wagon today (even though it's Father's Day and I know my kids will be giving me some treats, but those will just have to wait until August 30th!).

Primeperiwinkle

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Nov 30, 2018
DFW
This thing is ridiculous. I had my checklist last night and at 11:15 realized I was 22oz short on water.

Suddenly I was chugging water like it was vodka and I was 22 again... oh my word. But I made it.

Anyhoo. I don’t know how the heck I’m gonna keep this up but.. one day at a time.

holmzee

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 2, 2014
Unfortunately I was traveling which disruped my routine and I forgot to take a progress pic yesterday on day 12.

Annoying how I have to start over due to something that takes 10 seconds to do but it must be done.

kristkaa

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 15, 2015
Estonia
Unfortunately I was traveling which disruped my routine and I forgot to take a progress pic yesterday on day 12.

Annoying how I have to start over due to something that takes 10 seconds to do but it must be done.
Damn it must be frustrating to start over because of the most easy stuff.

I'm using google keep widget on my phone front screen to remember everything:

25134 :

Olimac21

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
I cannot do the challenge right now since I am preparing for a marathon happening in August but I found the challenge fantastic, good luck to everyone and if you are struggling with discipline/consistency I strongly recommend listening to Jocko Willink.

Olimac21

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Cool - I just added you.

---

Why not reading the 10 pages in the morning? I guess it will not take you more than 15-20 minutes and then you make sure the last hours of the day you enjoy yourself distracting with friends/other activities. Morning are 90% of the times distraction free because everyone else is sleeping lol.

reedracer

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
Back to square one. I work overnight on Saturday-Sunday and it's a blessing and a thorn in my side. Blessing - it allows me to slack off a bit during the week. Thorn - I'm up all night in the middle of the weekend and it throws me off my game sometimes.

I slept to almost noon yesterday and had to do the Dad thing. Didn't get my water or get to work out until 8pm.

Back on it plus I started the TeamRWB 1776 challenge. SMH
It's all good until the Burpees on 7/4 Fup Burkees!

• Sad

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Okay so even though I am on attempt number 5(!) I havent missed a workout or running/walking session in a full month. And apart from one sugary smoothie, my diet had been 100% also.

So this is the day I started...

I had been injured for a month and in general, was feeling a bit run down.

This is from today...

64813527_853188431732258_2773560618421059584_n.jpg

It's hard to show the mental progress side of things as easy as fitness but I feel the same progress also. I have been listening/reading over 2 hours a day which has been great.

I think this is the hardest I have ever pushed myself and I am 100% committed to finishing without a single "slip".

I am really starting to feel the compound effect of what is possible with work, discipline, and 100% consistency.

*apologies for the douchey topless pics :)

reedracer

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
This popped up while looking for a new water bottle for my bike. Might be helpful, lol https://amzn.to/2FfK3Bj

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 3, 2018
This thing is ridiculous. I had my checklist last night and at 11:15 realized I was 22oz short on water.

Suddenly I was chugging water like it was vodka and I was 22 again... oh my word. But I made it.

Anyhoo. I don’t know how the heck I’m gonna keep this up but.. one day at a time.
You're not 22?

Roli

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 3, 2015
1) Strict Diet – No cheating, not even 1 bite, and No alcohol

2) Two Workouts* per Day – 1 has to be outside and both have to be at least 45 minutes

(*this can mean jogging, swimming, yoga - doesn't have to be gym)

3) Drink 1 Gallon of Water per Day – Nothing but clear, plain water counts

4) Read 10 Pager per Day – From a non-fiction self-help book or business book

5) Take a Progress Picture Every Day – So you can see the progress at the end

For 75 days with no days off.
Whilst I wish you all the luck in the world @Fox with this challenge, I personally think it's too hard and is setting you up for failure. I mean the global you, not you personally.

First of all, it takes a particular lifestyle to be able to do 2 workouts a day. The amount of times I have to forego my workout because of work and family commitments is a lot. I'd say I sacrifice at least one workout a week because of stuff that needs doing.

A gallon of water (4.5 litres) a day is absolutely ridiculous unless you live in the desert, and have an extremely active lifestyle. Because don't forget you are getting lots of water from food as well. My guess is drinking this much water will make you feel bloated and wanting to go for a pee all the time.

I think challenges like this just end up making you feel bad about yourself for not completing it.

But hey, that's me, perhaps this is the sort of thing that a lot of people need and have the time/discipline to complete it....

As I say, good luck @Fox, just don't be too disheartened if you don't complete it.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Whilst I wish you all the luck in the world @Fox with this challenge, I personally think it's too hard and is setting you up for failure. I mean the global you, not you personally.

First of all, it takes a particular lifestyle to be able to do 2 workouts a day. The amount of times I have to forego my workout because of work and family commitments is a lot. I'd say I sacrifice at least one workout a week because of stuff that needs doing.

A gallon of water (4.5 litres) a day is absolutely ridiculous unless you live in the desert, and have an extremely active lifestyle. Because don't forget you are getting lots of water from food as well. My guess is drinking this much water will make you feel bloated and wanting to go for a pee all the time.

I think challenges like this just end up making you feel bad about yourself for not completing it.

But hey, that's me, perhaps this is the sort of thing that a lot of people need and have the time/discipline to complete it....

As I say, good luck @Fox, just don't be too disheartened if you don't complete it.
631FB6EB-5177-48B5-9492-5AC4B3AFCBE0.jpeg

No turning around now.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.