The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do You Enjoy the Place Where You Live?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I was talking with @Fox about our lifestyles and I started wondering about whether it's places that are boring or if it's people who can't find anything exciting to do in them.

I consider myself very familiarized with the area where I live. I've been to tons of places most people don't know about. I tried most things that I was interested in that were possible to do nearby. For me, that's mostly being outdoors in great weather (ideally by a body of water) and individual sports. I also enjoy going to good vegan restaurants but they are almost non-existent where I live. I'm not interested in cultural events (or any big events for that matter), night life, and stuff like that.

Because there are few activities that I can do here regularly that I enjoy (there's no surfing, no hiking, no diving, no mountains, no rock climbing, no real wilderness, and very few interesting outdoor activities), my lifestyle isn't particularly exciting. In fact, I joke with my girlfriend that we live like retirees. We go on walks to the same place (a local forest for which I AM very grateful). We ride bikes on the same trails (in the same forest). If it's summer, I swim in a lake (it's one of my favorite local activities and I'm very grateful that such a lake exists here). Rarely, if we convince some friends, we rent a kayak in the summer (and kayak down the same river as always because there are no other options). Other than that, very little happens. Sometimes the highlight of the day is shopping for some new interesting food to try lol.

The place is not like California where on the same day or two you can surf, ski, snowboard, go hiking, camp in the wilderness, etc. It's not like a Caribbean paradise where you can spend the entire day on the beach or on a boat and enjoy the day. It's not like New Zealand where you can find spectacular panoramas or go on a one-day or a multi-day adventure.

I'm not saying a place should have all these things at once, I'm just saying that certain places don't have any of those and feel, for a lack of a better word, "boring." I guess what I'm trying to say is that the place where I live is at best mediocre. So I can't say I truly enjoy where I live. I do like certain aspects of living here but compared to many places I visited, it's a boring place with nothing that makes it stand out (like Switzerland and beautiful mountains, or the Caribbean and beautiful beaches, or Indonesia and fantastic surfing, or Australia/Chile and various climates and landscapes, etc.).

Do you enjoy the area where you live? What makes it enjoyable? Do you enjoy it year-round or only during a specific season (like summer or winter)? If you didn't enjoy the place where you live but now you do, what changed?

If you don't enjoy the place where you live, why do you live there? What makes it unenjoyable? Do you have plans to move somewhere else, and if so, where to and why?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
@MTF if you want in terms of living since you have an online business and you don't like cold. I invite you to visit India just to have a taste I bet you'll like it.

you won't need to do any chores because human capital is cheap.

It's fun here and lots of things to do the only thing comes down to how much someone is willing to spend.

Last edited:

Tom H.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
Yes. Beautiful weather, warm water, surfing, hiking, laid-back lifestyle, small town and many expats are successful, entrepreneurial and value liberty.

Any time I leave my house I see someone I know. I start my day walking my dog on the beach. Most importantly, I have space to do my own thing, I'm not constantly bombarded with other people's agendas or expectations... in the U.S. there is a constant tension in the air, maybe you don't realize it when you're there, but come here and suddenly the atmosphere just feels more spacious and a nagging stress disappears. People around you are way more worried about when a good swell will come in than they are about paying their mortgage or buying a new car.

I literally stay within a 3 mile bubble for weeks at a time and I love it.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Yes. My small town is in a great location near a major metropolis (Houston), we have warm weather year-round, the beach is close by, and property values are affordable. I also know pretty much everyone, even the presidents of the local banks and owners of some major companies.

Ideally I'll reach the point where I have enough money to do whatever traveling I feel like whenever I want to, and just keep a home base here where things are affordable, safe, and the political and social landscape is agreeable and friendly.

To me, that is pretty ideal. Now, I'm sure as I progress, my plans can and will change :)

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I absolutely love where I am. Of course, I live in a furnace down here in yuma, az. But, the four wheeling is incredible, winters are mild, beach and mountains are close by for heat escapes. Plus it is inexpensive.

My house is on the edge of the city, on the edge of a mountain, with incredible views. 5 acres of land with very low people density.

I'm heading to the beach for 4 days in about 5 minutes. Motorhome, beachfront camping, 2.5 hours from my house.

Also close to the gulf of California down in Mexico. Been on the beach four wheeling and stayed at the malecon (pier) down in Puerto Penasco for 60 dollars a night with water views. Fresh fish, restaurants, many shops in walking distance.

Very content here.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Nope.

Goal has been for years to move somewhere sunnier like Spain. Kids are nearly teenagers now so ideally would have happened a lot earlier. Just launched a new online saas business. I've found plenty of ways that haven't enabled me to reach my goal I'm confident this one is!

Where I live in UK I'm lucky to have a beach 1 mile from house but the majority of the time its usually cold or windy down there.

The way I see it, the world's a better place when you've got the sun on your back!

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
No seasons, one climate year round.
Windy more often than not.
Bad public transport.
Highly elevated city.

I was born here so there's that soft spot and the locals are charming.
But it's not longterm for me at all.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
@MTF if you want in terms of living since you have an online business and you don't like cold. I invite you to visit India just to have a taste I bet you'll like it.

you won't need to do any chores because human capital is cheap.

It's fun here and lots of things to do the only thing comes down to how much someone is willing to spend.

Haha I think that India would be too wild for me.

Yes. Beautiful weather, warm water, surfing, hiking, laid-back lifestyle, small town and many expats are successful, entrepreneurial and value liberty.

Any time I leave my house I see someone I know. I start my day walking my dog on the beach. Most importantly, I have space to do my own thing, I'm not constantly bombarded with other people's agendas or expectations... in the U.S. there is a constant tension in the air, maybe you don't realize it when you're there, but come here and suddenly the atmosphere just feels more spacious and a nagging stress disappears. People around you are way more worried about when a good swell will come in than they are about paying their mortgage or buying a new car.

I literally stay within a 3 mile bubble for weeks at a time and I love it.

Sounds super nice. And that's in Jaco, Costa Rica? How long have you been living there? Do you ever get tired of living in a small, slow-paced place?

Yes. My small town is in a great location near a major metropolis (Houston), we have warm weather year-round, the beach is close by, and property values are affordable. I also know pretty much everyone, even the presidents of the local banks and owners of some major companies.

Ideally I'll reach the point where I have enough money to do whatever traveling I feel like whenever I want to, and just keep a home base here where things are affordable, safe, and the political and social landscape is agreeable and friendly.

To me, that is pretty ideal. Now, I'm sure as I progress, my plans can and will change :)

I think that living in a small town (or the countryside) near a big, exciting city is a pretty good choice. Anytime you want something different, you can get to it quickly so there's always variety at your fingertips.

I absolutely love where I am. Of course, I live in a furnace down here in yuma, az. But, the four wheeling is incredible, winters are mild, beach and mountains are close by for heat escapes. Plus it is inexpensive.

My house is on the edge of the city, on the edge of a mountain, with incredible views. 5 acres of land with very low people density.

I'm heading to the beach for 4 days in about 5 minutes. Motorhome, beachfront camping, 2.5 hours from my house.

Also close to the gulf of California down in Mexico. Been on the beach four wheeling and stayed at the malecon (pier) down in Puerto Penasco for 60 dollars a night with water views. Fresh fish, restaurants, many shops in walking distance.

Very content here.

Just checked the forecast for Yuma for the next few days. Wow... A furnace it is.

You've created a lifestyle well aligned with your interests and preferences. It's cool that you have access to such different places nearby and the toys to get there comfortably.

Nope.

Goal has been for years to move somewhere sunnier like Spain. Kids are nearly teenagers now so ideally would have happened a lot earlier. Just launched a new online saas business. I've found plenty of ways that haven't enabled me to reach my goal I'm confident this one is!

Where I live in UK I'm lucky to have a beach 1 mile from house but the majority of the time its usually cold or windy down there.

The way I see it, the world's a better place when you've got the sun on your back!

Any specific destinations in Spain? I enjoyed Costa de la Luz for simple, quiet living. If you don't need quick access to the ocean and the Mediterranean Sea is fine, Málaga is a pleasant city. The nearby region offers tons of things to do.

You have world-class rock climbing, countless beaches, picturesque small towns and villages, several natural and national parks, a few interesting towns and cities nearby.

By the way, that's what I meant in my original post. I don't live in a place that has even 1/4 of what the area around Málaga offers. Even if I were to drive for a few hours in any direction, I would still not find most of it. And I'm not even mentioning the climate that only lets you enjoy many of these things in the summer.

No seasons, one climate year round.
Windy more often than not.
Bad public transport.
Highly elevated city.

I was born here so there's that soft spot and the locals are charming.
But it's not longterm for me at all.

If it's good climate year round that's perfect :D But I assume it's not. Where would you like to live then?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I started wondering about whether it's places that are boring or if it's people who can't find anything exciting to do in them.
I enjoy living where I live. I can walk the kids to school while they glide along on their scooters. I can go for a jog or a stroll down the canal. I bump into people all the time or people wave as they drive past.

It’s not “exciting” though. But then I don’t really get excited about activities or things.

The most animated and excited you’ll see me is when I’m explaining things to people. It’s not because I’m 50. I was always that way. Not sure what that means.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I enjoy living where I live. I can walk the kids to school while they glide along on their scooters. I can go for a jog or a stroll down the canal. I bump into people all the time or people wave as they drive past.

It’s not “exciting” though. But then I don’t really get excited about activities or things.

The most animated and excited you’ll see me is when I’m explaining things to people. It’s not because I’m 50. I was always that way. Not sure what that means.

I know some people like that. The benefit is that you could live pretty much anywhere and you'd be okay with it.

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
If it's good climate year round that's perfect :D But I assume it's not. Where would you like to live then?
I just miss the extremes of summer and winter from where I grew up, so the guaranteed climate year around isn't what I enjoy.

Not sure where I want to live, and I doubt I'll know for years.
I've learned to enjoy all types of cities and towns and countries (not that I've been all over the world).

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
Nope. I dream of waking up in a green valley with a river valley flowing near my house and smelling the sweet, cold fresh air. Right now, It's quite the opposite. Been a while since haven't been out there traveling with cousins.

I've once been to the valleys of Swat. Best place I've ever been to. I will definitely be living in some green valleys in the future.

After COVID, a revisit will be on my bucket list.

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
I’d loved living in Patagonia lately with near forest, lakes, hiking in the snow , etc.
But now its constant rain so I moved and i’m thinking on going to Florianopolis, wich has a big city and lots of things to do but parts of the island also get that small town relax vibe, you can surf, hike, etc. And its really not that expensive at all to live there.

Pics are of the cabin I rented and the near by lake.

Attachments

• 023FA7F1-CA35-4A04-8253-209970C5855F.jpeg
    023FA7F1-CA35-4A04-8253-209970C5855F.jpeg
    493.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 506A6688-3630-4CF4-84D6-FBCFA58C4AF0.jpeg
    506A6688-3630-4CF4-84D6-FBCFA58C4AF0.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 15

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Nope. I dream of waking up in a green valley with a river valley flowing near my house and smelling the sweet, cold fresh air. Right now, It's quite the opposite. Been a while since haven't been out there traveling with cousins.

I've once been to the valleys of Swat. Best place I've ever been to. I will definitely be living in some green valleys in the future.

After COVID, a revisit will be on my bucket list.

Just checked the photos of Swat. What a beautiful place!

I’d loved living in Patagonia lately with near forest, lakes, hiking in the snow , etc.
But now its constant rain so I moved and i’m thinking on going to Florianopolis, wich has a big city and lots of things to do but parts of the island also get that small town relax vibe, you can surf, hike, etc. And its really not that expensive at all to live there.

Pics are of the cabin I rented and the near by lake.

Wow what a cool cabin you had there.

I've heard good things about Florianopolis.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
(Belfast, NI) It is an ok place to live. The people are mostly nice and it is a small city so it doesn't take long getting from one end to the other. The weather isn't great.

It is a much better place now than what it was 20-30 years ago when it was a warzone, but thankfully I never had to experience that. Tensions still remain but mostly fine and peaceful.

I grew up in the middle of nowhere in the country. I much prefer living in the city.

I invite you to visit India just to have a taste I bet you'll like it.
I lived in India for a month on a volunteering trip when I was 17 and loved it. Went to New Delhi , Agra, Mussorie, Dehradun and briefly to a few others I cannot remember. Amazing country!

scottmsul

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
302%
Apr 29, 2017
Boulder, CO
I'm planning on moving to Jacksonville pretty soon. I love the things to do in Colorado (hiking/skiing) but I don't like the political climate here. Also wouldn't mind living somewhere warmer.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I live in Washington State

Best place in the entire world in the summertime. America is nice. I've traveled and America just has everything. I like it here. Especially after seeing the inside of an Indian Hospital lol.

In the winter I absolutely hate it here and I try to travel someplace else to go enjoy the sun. I spent 2 months in Thailand a year and a half ago and loved it.

The weather here in the summer is great. It's 70-90, dry and sunny, but everything is green from all the winter rain. We have no tornados, tsunamis, snakes, lions, giant bugs, etc. It's just pretty and there's tons to do. It's expensive but make more money I guess.

Brrr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Jul 28, 2019
Not really, I've been in the UK for 11 years now. All of my adult life and I've not been able to really properly make it feel like home, the winters are unbelievably depressing due to the lack of light and cold and the summers are generally nice, but I haven't been able to enjoy one since 2017 lol. Countryside is beautiful, but not very exciting and cities are exciting but a bit much every single day.

It's a good place to start a business though, mountains of opportunity and the smallest bit of grit and ambition and you can go pretty far here. Compared to a lot of Europe, it feels like the UK isn't completely hellbent on crushing your average small business and there seems to be a lot of money sloshing around. It makes a lot of sense for me to stick it out here to build up my business to a point where I can be geographically mobile, which is the ultimate goal.

I'm giving myself 6-7 years max, if I haven't gotten comfortable in that time I'd like to find a way to head over to the states and try and maybe start a different chapter, depending on how the US goes. I value a sense of freedom and ease that I don't think you can get here, society feels so rigid and traditional.

I don't think I could ever go back to living in Italy either.

sojeer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
May 10, 2018
Living in Dublin now and really like this place. Besides that the city center isn’t anything more then regular European city, it has pleasant hiking space nearby (Wicklow) and amazing seaside, especially Howth (recently with great sunny days we had literally Mediterranean views). Weather is also not as bad as it is in this kind of latitudes. For me this is a good compromise between beautiful nature and prospering country. Overall Ireland has beautiful landscapes, nice people, but what I’m missing from my perfect place is warm climate and Latin vibes.

Other than that I lived in a few countries (Spain, Uk, Poland, Portugal, Germany, now Ireland) and still think that Europe is missing something. You have to take here a big compromises (e. g. language barriers, having business or job from north and live on south... at least me as I like warm vibes too).
I like the idea that US is so huge and varied. And it is still one country, one language. I’m sad that it is so difficult to settle there if you are foreigner.

My other choice in Europe/Africa are Spanish Canary Islands (Tenerife, Fuerteventura or any other). They are like Hawaii of the Europe. It’s an awesome place but better arrive there with your own/remote job. Economy here isn’t good. But other then that, there are plenty activities to do around the Island and the weather is perfect all year round.
Barcelona is my other type. Amazing city, great vibe. Lived there for a few months and the only city which I truly love.
These two are my ultimate places but still need to do my homework on the north. However, from the other side, if I will win a green card one day than States will be no brainier for me.

Last edited:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Just checked the forecast for Yuma for the next few days. Wow... A furnace it is.

You've created a lifestyle well aligned with your interests and preferences. It's cool that you have access to such different places nearby and the toys to get there comfortably.
Yep. I paid a fraction of what a house would cost in a big city. It certainly allows for more toys.

Thankfully, I have the time as well. My spots on the beach are difficult to get. So I watch for cancellations at the last minute.20210607_145847.jpg20210607_152452.jpg

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I live in Washington State

Best place in the entire world in the summertime. America is nice. I've traveled and America just has everything. I like it here. Especially after seeing the inside of an Indian Hospital lol.

In the winter I absolutely hate it here and I try to travel someplace else to go enjoy the sun. I spent 2 months in Thailand a year and a half ago and loved it.

The weather here in the summer is great. It's 70-90, dry and sunny, but everything is green from all the winter rain. We have no tornados, tsunamis, snakes, lions, giant bugs, etc. It's just pretty and there's tons to do. It's expensive but make more money I guess.

Funny, nobody believes when told Western Washington is the best summer weather in the country, which I can confirm, its epic, besides the wild fires. They all think it rains year round. The winters are for sure brutal, and the summer pay off is well earned. I dont really mind the hoody and rain weather, but its just the fact the darkness goes for so long.

As for me, I lived in Colombia for two years and it ruined me. Talk about amazing opportunities to enjoy every facet of life. Can't wait to revisit Colombia, would love to live there again.

Devampre

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 6, 2016
Canada
Currently living in rural Saskatchewan Canada... So here's what I dislike about living "out in the sticks."

Lack of population
Poor/mediocre internet at a high cost
Cold winters (We had a -60C night this last winter.)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Been in the Phoenix area for nearly 25 years and I've loved it mostly.

While I'm open to staying near-term, I'm looking for change.

It is getting hotter and the growth of the city and suburbs has reached insane proportions, to the point, there has to be water shortages coming soon.

That said, I'm in no hurry to seek out other pastures.

Ultimately, I might just bail to Costa Rica.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I’m from “Amerizuela.” It sucks.

If you’re an entrepreneur you’re a racist now, everyone hates you, is jealous, and wants to take your money from you. They’ll use the gang they voted and somehow deem it moral and justifiable.

6C9D8ADE-D7BC-4697-9A15-A1E03A1687B7.jpeg

I’m probably going to go to St. Croix or Puerto Rico for the majority of the year unless things get really messed up and I buy citizenship (by investment) in some other, nonUS Caribbean nation.

Thankfully the Caribbean isn’t just a refuge for me, it has also always been the dream. As I pull more and more of my time out of my businesses, and America continues to suck more and more, the easier this is becoming to justify.

The city is Houston. I like the airport, I like Galveston, I like the golf here, there are probably less “masked wonders” here, and the business community is pretty good. Other than that, it’s part of America’s theft scheme and it can F*ck off.

Last edited:

Sethamus

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Sep 13, 2019
Northshore area, New Orleans
I l just outside New Orleans( followed the wife back home by her family)…I miss Texas.
Festivals year round, and a sportsman’s paradise all year around if you like to hunt, fish, or just yee yee around in the water or mud.

If you don’t mind the hot humid summers and the occasional “wet” winter that makes guys from the north cry about how cold it is at 35 deg. compared to the dry 0 deg winters in the mountains then it isn’t terrible, just not my first choice.

Ultimately, I might just bail to Costa Rica.
Favorite place I have been to so far. Small mountains for hiking and the beach so close together. If they had snow it would be perfect.

D

Deleted70138

One of those houses is where I live half of the year, 10 minute drive from ski-resort, 40 minute drive from the capital, 2 hour drive from desert (with leopards and some other wild things), 4 hour drive from the beach (not big enough waves for surfing though). There is a mountain bike route on the mountain on the right side, 3000m+ mountains, several ukrainian, russian (mountain guides) and chinese neighbours (road engineers). Pretty multinational place, just need to bring a bitcoin as local currency and establish my own kingdom with zero taxes and zero subsidies.

IMG_20180526_152427.jpg

Robbi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Dec 18, 2020
Currently residing around the Valencia region in Spain. I like most things around here; food, the nature close by, the sea and the city itself. Coming from living in London, the overall quality of life is much better here.

Seeing as I'm not fully integrated nor fluent in the language, I'm not super comfortable doing business locally and have only a vague idea what it's like--seems like it might trickier than what I'm used to, with more red tape. None of this a deal breaker for myself, and an online business is totally doable and most likely the best way forward.

In the future, I'd like to live in the mountains and have nature right on my door step. Bulgaria is also appealing and somewhere I'd like to check out, mainly for its nature, tax rates (10%) and cheap cost of living, which would be conducive to running a fully online business.

EDIT: while running a company from Spain looks like it would be much more difficult, running a limited company from the UK while living in Spain is still a-ok!

Last edited:

RoadTrip

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 27, 2012
I wouldn't even want to think about moving if we would have a better climate in the place where I live. Winters are grey, windy and boring in The Netherlands. Probably very similar to the UK.

In Spring and Summer when the sun is shining it's an amazing place to live. Where I live we have beautiful wide beaches with beach bars in a 10 minute bicycle ride, amazing dunes, a small, green city forest in a 5 minute walk and all commodities of the city in a 2 minute walk from my place: restaurants, bars, shops, trams, busses, special bicycle lanes, etc. Like @AndyBlack we also love walking our two boys to school on their scooters. The place I live is The Hague.

Since I love this place so much during summer I'd like to escape only during winter season. Something like the Spanish coast where weather is good, food is great and cost of living is low. Since kids are still in school leaving for the full winter season is not possible yet. So I'm working hard to grow my 2 businesses to a point where going on multiple holidays is a no brainer. Until kids have finished school and both businesses can be run completely location independent.

Train

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
May 11, 2021
Great thread idea here. It's fun to read everyone's experiences and see where we all come from. Helps to have that perspective because it's easy to stay in a bubble and not explore other places that may suit one better.

Do you enjoy the area where you live? What makes it enjoyable? I enjoy the tranquility and small-town feel where I live (Fort Worth, TX). It's not overcrowded and there's a nice visually, pleasant balance of foliage and man-made structures. Somewhere between city and suburban living, which is ideal for me. Cost of living is relatively cheap too compared to a grander, denser city.

Do you enjoy it year-round or only during a specific season (like summer or winter)? Highs are 90-100 Fahrenheit in the summers and lows of 25-35 Fahrenheit in the winter. I actually like the cold seasons (no snow to worry about) but it gets unbearable at night. The hot summers make you just want to stay inside though.

If you didn't enjoy the place where you live but now you do, what changed? It was new and I was homesick. But I grew to enjoy the tranquility.

If you don't enjoy the place where you live, why do you live there? Bound here due to a job but looking to push for virtual telecommuting full-time while I work my fastlane idea.

What makes it unenjoyable? Some things I don't enjoy are that it can be a little too sleepy. It's not as exciting as, say, Miami or NYC in terms of activities. Another drawback is that the city is spread out so you need a car to go everywhere. But the pros are low cost of living and easygoing living feel.

Do you have plans to move somewhere else, and if so, where to and why? I may move back home to South Florida to be close to family. It's been interesting to note differences between my idealization of South Florida versus reality. While there are exciting things to do there, there are some drawbacks. Higher cost of living. Some popular areas (cough South Beach cough) are trashier than they are made to be. Everything is also spread out (you need a car to go anywhere). Good thing is no state income tax. Not to mention the risk of any real estate investment sinking into the ocean in the coming decades.

It is interesting to hear Puerto Rico mentioned here. I used to live there in my youth. Unfortunately, it's gone seriously downhill since at least early 2000s. A lot of companies pulled out due to removed incentives in the 90s. Not to mention the alleged corruption across government officials and their incompetencies. Even my mother who loves the island would not go back for safety/economic concerns. I have heard Dorado mentioned as a place where the wealthy frequent however.

D

Deleted78083

No I hate it.

Brussels is a dangerous, polluted, and extremely poor city inhabited by both poor and rich people telling you capitalism doesn't work. All the people you meet vote communist, and they're all making above 2000 euros a month.

You have Roms kids and their family begging everywhere in the street by day, watching Youtube videos on their iPhone by night.

There is a camp of beggars 200 meters away from the EU Commission. Every metro station has their own family, couple, or community of beggars.

The North Station is full of refugees waiting to know about their status. Some of them got cholera at some point so the Flemish bus service decided not to stop there anymore. If you go there after the sun disappeared, you're likely to get raped, stolen, then killed.

There are police and ambulance sirens all the time crossing the city for god knows what (they don't care if it's 4 in the morning).

It's the most traffic-jammed capital in Europe.

There is no identity in Brussels. 70% of people living there weren't born in Belgium, which makes it the second most cosmopolitan city in the world (after Dubai). No Belgian people live there. You have to be from a certain ethnicity to find an apartment or room. Turks, Moroccans, Polish, Portuguese, Romanians, Congolese...each have their own neighborhood. If you're the wrong skin color, you are not allowed to go there.

Women get harassed so much in the street that all of the girls left. It got so bad at some point that the government had to launch a campaign against street harassment (still ongoing).

I'd estimate the ratio girls/guys to be 40/60, which means it is very difficult to find a girlfriend as almost all girls already have a boyfriend. And the few that dare going out wear headphones to make sure no one talks to them.

I got yelled at by a drunk beggar yesterday telling me my mum was a whore. Nice. I was on my way back to Brussels by train and in the train, a group of "youngsters" were smoking and disturbing everyone by running and fighting. The controller was this small girl, so she couldn't do anything. And since they were from a group you don't want to mess with, everyone was scared to say anything. Needless to say, they didn't have tickets, and didn't get any fine either.

1/4 kid goes hungry at school in the morning. 25% live below poverty level. And unemployment is around the same level (20-25%).

The city is so "diverse" that rival groups of different ethnicities that don't like each other in their home country fight within the city (it's a bit like if the Israelo-Palestinian conflict was happening in Brussels, but with other countries since Brussels is too dangerous for Jews anyway). I think they made a movie about it but it never came out because they were afraid of riots if it did.

Everyone hates Brussels so much that no one wants to live there. Everyone lives outside of it. So RE is super expensive in the outskirts because the EU Commission employs 30 000 people they pay much higher than Belgian salary (5-10k per month).

In architecture, the term "Brusselization" means building ugly buildings in a random manner.

People that come to Brussels only do so for the money. As soon as they have the chance to, they leave, so it's impossible to have regular, long-lasting friends.

Honestly I do not know where I would move if I could. Probably Seville, Valencia, or Budapest.

Anywhere would be fine as long as I can meet other conservative/entrepreneurs people. But I have moved so much already that I am exhausted. I just want to earn an income by myself then get a wife and a family.

Honestly sometimes I think I should go to the US. I spend my days speaking English, listen to US podcasts, hang out on US websites, watch US movies, read US books, listen to US music, and follow US news.... I suppose I'd go to Austin. Seems like it's where all the fun is happening.

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.