The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Convince me not to use WIX for Ecommerce

Marketing, social media, advertising

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
Happy 9:44pm EST Fastlaners -

Short version, I’m a couple of months out from a product launch, and about a year ago I began reserving domain names, social media pages, etc. For reasons I could only chalk up to ignorance, I have my domain hosted on WIX with their online store subscription, and the site is halfway built by myself. It will be a single product store for now, possibly add others later.

I see a lot of you using Shopify and I’m still learning how to set all of this up. I’ve been very engrossed in the development of said product up to this point, and now is the time to figure out what my best channels for moving it will be. I don’t get many search hits on WIX in this forum, perhaps for good reason.

Any of ya’ll using Wix, or should I kill it with fire and move to Shopify? I believe the biggest piece of my audience can be reached, directly and indirectly, on Facebook. My ignorant mind is leaning toward using my FB and IG pages heavily for engagement and redirecting to my website.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ApeRunner

Very Fast on a Bike
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
May 16, 2014
Cozumel
Wix is bad for SEO. Also, Wix lacks integrations such as payment processors and additional functionality. Is not a professional shopping cart.

Better hosted alternatives:
  • Shopify
  • BigCommerce
  • PrestaShop Ready

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
It's nobody's job to convince you to use or not to use Wix. However, it seems silly to use a platform that's not really built for ecommerce.

Maybe you should convince us why using Wix is the better choice?

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
BTW, can we move this thread to the outside since it really doesn't belong on the Inside?

B. Cole

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
BTW, can we move this thread to the outside since it really doesn't belong on the Inside?

I’m good with it if that’s where it should be. I was trying to hear feedback from the experienced players, that’s all.

B. Cole

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
It's nobody's job to convince you to use or not to use Wix. However, it seems silly to use a platform that's not really built for ecommerce.

Maybe you should convince us why using Wix is the better choice?

I really can’t, that’s why I was asking to see if anybody here was having success with it. I’ve been in product development for the past year and now I’m figuring out how to get these things moving. I didn’t see a lot of you using it, which was a flag that I didn’t see a year ago when I was doing all kinds of wrong stuff, ignorant as hell (still am). Over the past year I’ve spent a minor amount of time building the wix site in between developing the product, but don’t want to continue if it’s going to suck. I’d rather throw it out now than launch the product in a few months and regret it.

Thanks guys. You can delete the thread if you want, in hindsight it’s dumb, but I couldn’t vet it out in search so I had to ask.

B. Cole

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
Just say no

Your threads are one of the main reasons I questioned it. I remember you saying somewhere, “Get Shopify and MailCheat(Chimp) and be done”. Thanks man -

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Agree with the above. If you’re just trying to sell a single product, go with Shopify. It’s made for ecommerce.

I use WordPress and WooComerce, but thats because I need my site/store to handle a lot of blog type information (articles, recipes, education).

B. Cole

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
Agree with the above. If you’re just trying to sell a single product, go with Shopify. It’s made for ecommerce.

I use WordPress and WooComerce, but thats because I need my site/store to handle a lot of blog type information (articles, recipes, education).

Good to know, thanks man. The product solves a problem in outdoor living, so I could see some interaction there, but not to the level of what you’ve built. Perhaps best to use my social media accounts for that.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
You've got a sunk cost mindset going on here. You've put time into building your Wix site, so you're hesitant to give it up or change.

But, is this the best option for long term success?

Think about what your website will be used for 80% of the time. If its to sell your product and generate sales, then Shopify is the better bet. If your website is to be an explainer type, then Wix can work.

B. Cole

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
You've got a sunk cost mindset going on here. You've put time into building your Wix site, so you're hesitant to give it up or change.

But, is this the best option for long term success?

Think about what your website will be used for 80% of the time. If its to sell your product and generate sales, then Shopify is the better bet. If your website is to be an explainer type, then Wix can work.

Definitely want the best site for the purpose, I’m not afraid to ditch something that could be better. Like to do it as early as possible. The thing I’ve learned most is to not be too in love with anything, everything is subject to need ditching at some point or another.

It’s focus will be to sell. Have a video or two, testimonials, how it works, etc etc.

Today’s focus is getting the Shopify sub going, and figuring out whether my domain name will have to be hosted at Wix until the sub runs out. I didn’t have any carts set up, the Shopify site will be a build from scratch, not a merging from Wix.

Thanks @Scot, happy Sunday -

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
I was trying to hear feedback from the experienced players, that’s all.
The experienced players I talk to use Magento.

With Shopify it's not under your control, so if they arbitrarily declare it violates "community standards", or you want to customize it in a non-trivial way in the future, you're stuck.

That said, if your site works, given you're not launched yet, just use it. Once you've confirmed it's an offer that converts, you'll have time and money to put into making your site serious.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
The experienced players I talk to use Magento.

With Shopify it's not under your control, so if they arbitrarily declare it violates "community standards", or you want to customize it in a non-trivial way in the future, you're stuck.

That said, if your site works, given you're not launched yet, just use it. Once you've confirmed it's an offer that converts, you'll have time and money to put into making your site serious.
Do it right from the beginning. FWIW, Shopify is quite customizable and hosts many multi-million dollar brands including Budweiser, Red Bull, Tesla Motors just to name a few.

But yes, if you want to have a website selling gun-related products or other sensitive products you will run a higher risk of Shopify closing your store. However, you always have the option of uploading your site, products, content, reviews, etc to another platform. You won't be totally left out in the cold.

Last edited:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Doesn't cover survivor bias. Much better to get it up, and have a beginning with what you have.
Disagree. You can literally have a shopify hosted site up and ready to generate sales within the hour.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
That is true (key word being can, if you know how it all works already). I meant in the context of OP saying he's got a (not great) site ready to go already.
There was no caveat to my assertion. I do believe anyone not familiar with Shopify could have a website up and ready to take orders, especially a one product website, within one hour. It really is that easy. Try that with Magento. Not going to happen.

So we certainly see this situation different. I personally believe it's worth the hour to set up a correct site vs launching with a WIX site and then later realize you should have started with shopify. Then you'd have lost time and possibly a sunk cost mindset.

trace987

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Sep 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Happy 9:44pm EST Fastlaners -

Short version, I’m a couple of months out from a product launch, and about a year ago I began reserving domain names, social media pages, etc. For reasons I could only chalk up to ignorance, I have my domain hosted on WIX with their online store subscription, and the site is halfway built by myself. It will be a single product store for now, possibly add others later.

I see a lot of you using Shopify and I’m still learning how to set all of this up. I’ve been very engrossed in the development of said product up to this point, and now is the time to figure out what my best channels for moving it will be. I don’t get many search hits on WIX in this forum, perhaps for good reason.

Any of ya’ll using Wix, or should I kill it with fire and move to Shopify? I believe the biggest piece of my audience can be reached, directly and indirectly, on Facebook. My ignorant mind is leaning toward using my FB and IG pages heavily for engagement and redirecting to my website.
I also think that it is better to start with one platform, see the results and how everything is going and then thinking of switching to another platform.
Shopify is quite good with its different packages, however, you have a lot of additional costs. With payments, package price, modules, etc.
I vote for Magento. You also need to pay for the development and customization, but the platform is highly secure and have lots of great features for any online store.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
There was no caveat to my assertion. I do believe anyone not familiar with Shopify could have a website up and ready to take orders, especially a one product website, within one hour. It really is that easy. Try that with Magento. Not going to happen.

So we certainly see this situation different. I personally believe it's worth the hour to set up a correct site vs launching with a WIX site and then later realize you should have started with shopify. Then you'd have lost time and possibly a sunk cost mindset.

+1...while this is one example here’s the short version of my wife’s ecommerce experience.

Told to use magneto, took much longer than expected to set up, very difficult for the average person to understand and constantly had bugs that she needed the developer to address.

Switched to Shopify and it was a holy sh*t experience. Extremely user friendly for the layperson, great support and while there are a thousand cheesy plug-ins there are also some great ones. Combined with Sumo and MailCheat(Chimp), she couldn’t be happier.

My understanding is that Magento has capabilities on the backend that massive companies will find beneficial but for 99%, I vote Shopify.

Solais

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Sep 14, 2018
Shopify if you have no idea what you're doing.

Wordpress + WooCommerce is the standard, jack of all trades.

Magento only if you know what you're doing + know how to write code (or are willing to spend $$$ on developers).

Avoid Wix/Squarespace/etc. like the plague for SEO/website ownership reasons.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
@B. Cole

Have you ever been to a site built on Wix?

Were you impressed?

Did it even load?

B. Cole

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
@B. Cole

Have you ever been to a site built on Wix?

Were you impressed?

Did it even load?

One indicator when I got mine mostly built was the way it looked on mobile. This is important because FB will be a major ad channel for me. It didn't fit good, on my Samsung or my wife's Iphone, the page was cut off on the edges. The Internet is riddled with people who love WIX and don't know any better, hard to avoid their sparkly ad campain with claims in the clouds.

Lesson learned, fail it forward. That's been the time consuming part of this journey for me. Since it's my first, I usually waste time doing something wrong that takes more time to undo, or I spend a dumb amount of time researching the best way to do something and get it half right.

Barriers baby! I'll take 'em.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
This entire thread is a waste of time. How do I turn these notifications off after a reply...

The F*cking solution exists that solves your problem, and in less time than you spend replying to this thread, the godamn store would have been built.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Wix is a great solution for a site that tells about your company.

Most of my companies have a simple Wix site because the online presence is not really where the sales or operations lie.

That said, I tried it for ecommerce years ago because I was already familiar. All was going swimmingly until someone wanted to place a return and there was literally NO functionality to return their money. I had to MAIL them a check. WIX made me look like a total dipshit. Yeah, I shut the whole thing down and put up Shopify.

Use the right tool for the job. Wix for sharp informational sites. Shopify for ecommerce.

Last edited:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
The Internet is riddled with people who love WIX and don't know any better

They love fast, free, and easy.

I can't imagine they love their websites.

Wix is fine for people who "just need a website". Like the middle school PTA.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
This entire thread is a waste of time. How do I turn these notifications off after a reply...

Not sure if this was a serious question or not. If so, then Up top, by the OP. Sorry for dragging you into the thread one more time to read this.

Capture2.jpg

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
Replying to the parent comment, I haven't read the full thread yet, but there is one MAJOR reason why I don't use Wix:

They don't let you insert custom script into the headers or footers of the pages.

That eliminates a lot of custom plugins (like Sumo) or javascript for GA tracking on conversion goals.
I use Wordpress exclusively, but I've heard great things about Shopify.

Hope that helps!

UPDATE: Ok, read the thread. I'm not too worried about the SEO issues with Wix, since you can get around those if you really know what you are doing. I'm not sure how easy changing metatags and stuff like that is on Wix, but I'd be shocked if they didn't let you do that. Most of your heavy lifting in SEO should be done by your content and keyword research anyway.
That said, the custom scripts thing is still a dealbreaker for me. Wix is probably good for people that need an online "business card" to point people at tradeshows to.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
They love fast, free, and easy.

I can't imagine they love their websites.

Wix is fine for people who "just need a website". Like the middle school PTA.

True. The free templates are rather hideous.

The premium plans open up a lot of sharp options for businesses that need a well organized and INFORMATIONAL business site.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.