• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Convince me not to use WIX for Ecommerce

Discussion in 'Advertising, Marketing, Social Media' started by B. Cole, Oct 6, 2018.

1. B. Cole

B. Cole Stop me. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,369
    Happy 9:44pm EST Fastlaners -

Short version, I’m a couple of months out from a product launch, and about a year ago I began reserving domain names, social media pages, etc. For reasons I could only chalk up to ignorance, I have my domain hosted on WIX with their online store subscription, and the site is halfway built by myself. It will be a single product store for now, possibly add others later.

I see a lot of you using Shopify and I’m still learning how to set all of this up. I’ve been very engrossed in the development of said product up to this point, and now is the time to figure out what my best channels for moving it will be. I don’t get many search hits on WIX in this forum, perhaps for good reason.

Any of ya’ll using Wix, or should I kill it with fire and move to Shopify? I believe the biggest piece of my audience can be reached, directly and indirectly, on Facebook. My ignorant mind is leaning toward using my FB and IG pages heavily for engagement and redirecting to my website.

Xeon likes this.
  2. ApeRunner

ApeRunner Very Fast on a Bike Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $4,856
    Wix is bad for SEO. Also, Wix lacks integrations such as payment processors and additional functionality. Is not a professional shopping cart.

Better hosted alternatives:
    • Shopify
    • BigCommerce
    • PrestaShop Ready

Tom.V, Eskil, Laughingman21 and 4 others like this.
  3. AllenCrawley

AllenCrawley Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $70,386
    It's nobody's job to convince you to use or not to use Wix. However, it seems silly to use a platform that's not really built for ecommerce.

Maybe you should convince us why using Wix is the better choice?

Tom.V, Eskil, ZF Lee and 11 others like this.
  4. AllenCrawley

AllenCrawley Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $70,386
  5. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $166,872
    Just say no

Tom.V, Eskil, Greg R and 4 others like this.
  6. B. Cole

B. Cole Stop me. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,369
    I’m good with it if that’s where it should be. I was trying to hear feedback from the experienced players, that’s all.

Scot likes this.
  7. B. Cole

Rep Bank:
    $2,369
    I really can’t, that’s why I was asking to see if anybody here was having success with it. I’ve been in product development for the past year and now I’m figuring out how to get these things moving. I didn’t see a lot of you using it, which was a flag that I didn’t see a year ago when I was doing all kinds of wrong stuff, ignorant as hell (still am). Over the past year I’ve spent a minor amount of time building the wix site in between developing the product, but don’t want to continue if it’s going to suck. I’d rather throw it out now than launch the product in a few months and regret it.

Thanks guys. You can delete the thread if you want, in hindsight it’s dumb, but I couldn’t vet it out in search so I had to ask.

8. B. Cole

Rep Bank:
    $2,369
    Your threads are one of the main reasons I questioned it. I remember you saying somewhere, “Get Shopify and Mailchimp and be done”. Thanks man -

Xeon likes this.
  9. Scot

Scot Ductus Exemplo Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $50,689
    Agree with the above. If you’re just trying to sell a single product, go with Shopify. It’s made for ecommerce.

I use WordPress and WooComerce, but thats because I need my site/store to handle a lot of blog type information (articles, recipes, education).

Xeon, ZF Lee, Greg R and 1 other person like this.
  10. B. Cole

Rep Bank:
    $2,369
    Good to know, thanks man. The product solves a problem in outdoor living, so I could see some interaction there, but not to the level of what you’ve built. Perhaps best to use my social media accounts for that.

Scot likes this.
  11. Scot

Scot Ductus Exemplo Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $50,689
    You've got a sunk cost mindset going on here. You've put time into building your Wix site, so you're hesitant to give it up or change.

But, is this the best option for long term success?

Think about what your website will be used for 80% of the time. If its to sell your product and generate sales, then Shopify is the better bet. If your website is to be an explainer type, then Wix can work.

Fox, Xeon, ZF Lee and 2 others like this.
  12. B. Cole

Rep Bank:
    $2,369
    Definitely want the best site for the purpose, I’m not afraid to ditch something that could be better. Like to do it as early as possible. The thing I’ve learned most is to not be too in love with anything, everything is subject to need ditching at some point or another.

It’s focus will be to sell. Have a video or two, testimonials, how it works, etc etc.

Today’s focus is getting the Shopify sub going, and figuring out whether my domain name will have to be hosted at Wix until the sub runs out. I didn’t have any carts set up, the Shopify site will be a build from scratch, not a merging from Wix.

Thanks @Scot, happy Sunday -

Xeon and Scot like this.
  13. GoGetter24

GoGetter24 Silver Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,528
    The experienced players I talk to use Magento.

With Shopify it's not under your control, so if they arbitrarily declare it violates "community standards", or you want to customize it in a non-trivial way in the future, you're stuck.

That said, if your site works, given you're not launched yet, just use it. Once you've confirmed it's an offer that converts, you'll have time and money to put into making your site serious.

B. Cole and Xeon like this.
  14. AllenCrawley

Rep Bank:
    $70,386
    Do it right from the beginning. FWIW, Shopify is quite customizable and hosts many multi-million dollar brands including Budweiser, Red Bull, Tesla Motors just to name a few.

But yes, if you want to have a website selling gun-related products or other sensitive products you will run a higher risk of Shopify closing your store. However, you always have the option of uploading your site, products, content, reviews, etc to another platform. You won't be totally left out in the cold.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    B. Cole, Xeon and ZF Lee like this.
  15. GoGetter24

Rep Bank:
    $3,528
    Doesn't cover survivor bias. Much better to get it up, and have a beginning with what you have.

B. Cole and MustImprove like this.
  16. AllenCrawley

Rep Bank:
    $70,386
    Disagree. You can literally have a shopify hosted site up and ready to generate sales within the hour.

B. Cole and Bryan James like this.
  17. GoGetter24

Rep Bank:
    $3,528
    That is true (key word being can, if you know how it all works already). I meant in the context of OP saying he's got a (not great) site ready to go already.

B. Cole likes this.
  18. AllenCrawley

Rep Bank:
    $70,386
    There was no caveat to my assertion. I do believe anyone not familiar with Shopify could have a website up and ready to take orders, especially a one product website, within one hour. It really is that easy. Try that with Magento. Not going to happen.

So we certainly see this situation different. I personally believe it's worth the hour to set up a correct site vs launching with a WIX site and then later realize you should have started with shopify. Then you'd have lost time and possibly a sunk cost mindset.

B. Cole, Xeon, Lex DeVille and 2 others like this.
  19. trace987

trace987 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $32
    I also think that it is better to start with one platform, see the results and how everything is going and then thinking of switching to another platform.
    Shopify is quite good with its different packages, however, you have a lot of additional costs. With payments, package price, modules, etc.
    I vote for Magento. You also need to pay for the development and customization, but the platform is highly secure and have lots of great features for any online store.

B. Cole likes this.
  20. mtnman

mtnman Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,175
    You must not like making money quickly, and love having a site with so much bloat, the cart never loads for customers to buy anything.

21. MTEE1985

MTEE1985 Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,330
    +1...while this is one example here’s the short version of my wife’s ecommerce experience.

Told to use magneto, took much longer than expected to set up, very difficult for the average person to understand and constantly had bugs that she needed the developer to address.

Switched to Shopify and it was a holy sh*t experience. Extremely user friendly for the layperson, great support and while there are a thousand cheesy plug-ins there are also some great ones. Combined with Sumo and Mailchimp, she couldn’t be happier.

My understanding is that Magento has capabilities on the backend that massive companies will find beneficial but for 99%, I vote Shopify.

B. Cole, MustImprove and AllenCrawley like this.
  22. Solais

Solais Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $502
    Shopify if you have no idea what you're doing.

Wordpress + WooCommerce is the standard, jack of all trades.

Magento only if you know what you're doing + know how to write code (or are willing to spend $$$ on developers).

Avoid Wix/Squarespace/etc. like the plague for SEO/website ownership reasons.

B. Cole likes this.
  23. amp0193

amp0193 Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $47,911
    @B. Cole

Have you ever been to a site built on Wix?

Were you impressed?

Did it even load?

B. Cole likes this.
  24. B. Cole

Rep Bank:
    $2,369
    One indicator when I got mine mostly built was the way it looked on mobile. This is important because FB will be a major ad channel for me. It didn't fit good, on my Samsung or my wife's Iphone, the page was cut off on the edges. The Internet is riddled with people who love WIX and don't know any better, hard to avoid their sparkly ad campain with claims in the clouds.

Lesson learned, fail it forward. That's been the time consuming part of this journey for me. Since it's my first, I usually waste time doing something wrong that takes more time to undo, or I spend a dumb amount of time researching the best way to do something and get it half right.

Barriers baby! I'll take 'em.

amp0193 likes this.
  25. mtnman

mtnman Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,175
    This entire thread is a waste of time. How do I turn these notifications off after a reply...

The f*cking solution exists that solves your problem, and in less time than you spend replying to this thread, the godamn store would have been built.

B. Cole likes this.