The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Considering an idea...

Idea threads

LiveTheWay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Feb 18, 2014
Middle of New York State
Greetings fastlaners ;) I have a few ideas I am considering and I thought I would share this idea to see if anyone had any insight or perhaps some experience with a similar model.

I have some knowledge of a company that provides a service for businesses. They do world class work with the best resources available in the world. They have b2b relationships with larger entities that supply the bulk of the work they do. They are more than happy to work with anybody, but since they have never really done any marketing that would bring in the many smaller businesses (and there are a lot), I believe there is an opportunity.

I was considering how I could market the service with my own branding. Customers would send me the necessary equipment, which I would then deliver to the company who would perform the service. I would then add a markup of about $50 per item and send back to the customer (shipping on their dime..or factored into the markup somewhere)

I would have to have items sent to my home address or PO box and schlep items back and forth (small enough to be done in a car) which is only about 20 min drive each way. I was considering how I could hire someone to manage all the leg work if I am able to generate volume.

I do not believe the company who does the work would do the fulfillment for me unless I can really bring some volume, but even with a modest steady volume I could possible negotiate lower rates.

I realize this plan is lacking in the element of CONTROL, but I like how it would bring an opportunity to build a brand and develop marketing skills.

Any thoughts, experience, or advise?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LiveTheWay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Feb 18, 2014
Middle of New York State
It is an insanely massive industry and market in general. Not everyone in this industry will have the need, but for those that do the value will absolutely be there. As far as the market goes, I am convinced there is potential. How many sales can I bring in through online marketing? That remains to be seen, but I do know the company has never advertised and the philosophy is to grow through large relationships and accept any word of mouth business.

Last edited:

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
I'm not sure, building something based off a company, you are giving up complete control. What would happen if that company ceased to exist?

LiveTheWay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Feb 18, 2014
Middle of New York State
I'm not sure, building something based off a company, you are giving up complete control. What would happen if that company ceased to exist?

Good point. Of course with the need still in place I could just hire the employees, buy the equipment and do the whole thing myself. The lack of control is the weak point, but I see this as being a "side street" (once it is operational) that would take very little of my time to maintain.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
So many people here are obsessed about building a perfect Fastlane business. You're giving up some control, and so what? If you don't have any business, it's still better than doing nothing and waiting months or years before you find your perfect Fastlane idea.

Perhaps this idea won't make you millions, but if you can execute properly and start making money, you'll still be better off than if you weren't doing anything and just bouncing from idea to idea.

If it works out, you can just save as much as possible of your profits and reinvest in another, purely Fastlane idea, or pivot and make your current idea 100% Fastlane.

You don't have to get it right, you just have to get it moving. Focus and get it moving man.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LiveTheWay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Feb 18, 2014
Middle of New York State
Thank you. It's going to be a couple weeks before I can do anything with this. But I'm going to test the market on this a bit to see what happens. I understand it's not an ideal Fastlane business, but the more I think about it the control factor isn't that bad because at least I would control the branding, so if the company I'm working with fails me I can always find another entity to work with or just do it myself

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.