The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Completely lost guy looking for some way to practice business (preferrably online)

UnnamedBeast

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 16, 2022
Not sure if this is the right section or not, but I'm looking for some kind of suggestions for some "practice businesses" that I could try, I've been reading the books lately and looking at a few threads and while it definitely helped me out mindset-wise, my paralysis of not having ideas or having them but thinking they're below me or that I'm unskilled for them or whatever just makes it very hard for me to act, so I just keep looking for answers.

I'm not looking for anything that makes life-changing money, if I manage to make $1 I'm happy, I just do something (preferrably online) that I could pick up and learn to try and see if I could learn from doing, something like a skill of some kind, because right now I want to do but I keep feeling like a helpless toddler who can't do anything on his own.

I don't mind IRL suggestions, but I do have a huge aversion to doing these (I'm not asocial, my mind just keeps telling me no and I feel super uncomfortable about it).

I have yet to join the workforce because I'm a college student but I'm really not used to this kind of action, I've always been very bad at taking action and only recently have I started getting better at it (lost 10kg, started reading, started actually studying).

Feel free to rip me to shreds

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Buy something at a garage sale, or a thrift store, clean it up, and resell it on eBay or a 3rd party marketplace.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
It sounds like personal growth is what you need. You need to learn to be uncomfortable. Business often means you need to speak with people and go outside of your comfort zone.

Make a habit of doing one unconfortable thing each day. Personally, I think going out into the real world and providing a service would be best for you long term. It will force you to talk with people.

You might feel uncomfortable, but it gets easier every time.

Since you are a college student, doing one off jobs might work best for you.

Look one day jobs on craigslist or facebook. Helping someone move, pulling weeds, etc. Get a small win under your belt. Do it until you find a type of job you want to continue. Example: pool cleaning

Then move from there. Try and find new customers. By then, you will have pushed your comfort zone enough to further expand your comfort zone and start trying to sell your specialized services.

UnnamedBeast

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 16, 2022
Buy something at a garage sale, or a thrift store, clean it up, and resell it on eBay or a 3rd party marketplace.
Definitely need to check second-hand websites because Portugal's garage sale/thrift store culture doesn't really exist, but I'll put some effort to find something that can be turned into some profit then
It sounds like personal growth is what you need. You need to learn to be uncomfortable. Business often means you need to speak with people and go outside of your comfort zone.

Make a habit of doing one unconfortable thing each day. Personally, I think going out into the real world and providing a service would be best for you long term. It will force you to talk with people.

You might feel uncomfortable, but it gets easier every time.

Since you are a college student, doing one off jobs might work best for you.

Look one day jobs on craigslist or facebook. Helping someone move, pulling weeds, etc. Get a small win under your belt. Do it until you find a type of job you want to continue. Example: pool cleaning

Then move from there. Try and find new customers. By then, you will have pushed your comfort zone enough to further expand your comfort zone and start trying to sell your specialized services.
I used to be uncomfortable with working out and eating better and that helped me grow definitely, this is the logical next step then. Not sure if I'm gonna find many odd jobs here, but it doesn't hurt to actually try and find something that works, probably facebook will be my best bet

I probably still need to find a specialized skill to sell in the first place though but that's my task

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Definitely need to check second-hand websites because Portugal's garage sale/thrift store culture doesn't really exist, but I'll put some effort to find something that can be turned into some profit then

I used to be uncomfortable with working out and eating better and that helped me grow definitely, this is the logical next step then. Not sure if I'm gonna find many odd jobs here, but it doesn't hurt to actually try and find something that works, probably facebook will be my best bet

I probably still need to find a specialized skill to sell in the first place though but that's my task

If there isn't a culture, could you try something here? Find some people wanting to put together a sale, then put flyers around the neighbourhood promoting it. See what happens.

UnnamedBeast

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 16, 2022
If there isn't a culture, could you try something here? Find some people wanting to put together a sale, then put flyers around the neighbourhood promoting it. See what happens.
Maybe, but besides that going way beyond my point of discomfort it also seems like something no one would show up for, people would just rather sell things online since there's a few websites for that, but I can't say for certain until I've done it

Not to mention I have no space for people to sell things, I practically live in student accommodation and I don't know what the legality of setting up a sale in some random park is

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Not sure if this is the right section or not, but I'm looking for some kind of suggestions for some "practice businesses" that I could try, I've been reading the books lately and looking at a few threads and while it definitely helped me out mindset-wise, my paralysis of not having ideas or having them but thinking they're below me or that I'm unskilled for them or whatever just makes it very hard for me to act, so I just keep looking for answers.

I'm not looking for anything that makes life-changing money, if I manage to make $1 I'm happy, I just do something (preferrably online) that I could pick up and learn to try and see if I could learn from doing, something like a skill of some kind, because right now I want to do but I keep feeling like a helpless toddler who can't do anything on his own.

I don't mind IRL suggestions, but I do have a huge aversion to doing these (I'm not asocial, my mind just keeps telling me no and I feel super uncomfortable about it).

I have yet to join the workforce because I'm a college student but I'm really not used to this kind of action, I've always been very bad at taking action and only recently have I started getting better at it (lost 10kg, started reading, started actually studying).

Feel free to rip me to shreds
What about looking for YouTube channels with lots of followers and views but no short videos, and creating short videos from them that you upload to YouTube Shorts, TikTok, Instagram Reels, Facebook Reels, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Snapchat, etc?

Make sure the content is sufficiently amended that platforms don't think you're just taking sections of the original content and uploading unchanged. Captions, editing, zooming in and out may be enough for this.

Upload them to channels you own, attribute and link back to the originators channels, and give ownership of your channels to the owners of the original channel?

Maybe they'll hire you to continue producing shorts from their long form content? Regardless, you'll have gained experience creating and distributing short from content from long form content. Businesses will pay for this, and it's a great skill to have.

Apparently someone did something similar for the "My First Million" podcast and got hired to do their short form content going forward.

UnnamedBeast

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 16, 2022
What about looking for YouTube channels with lots of followers and views but no short videos, and creating short videos from them that you upload to YouTube Shorts, TikTok, Instagram Reels, Facebook Reels, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Snapchat, etc?

Make sure the content is sufficiently amended that platforms don't think you're just taking sections of the original content and uploading unchanged. Captions, editing, zooming in and out may be enough for this.

Upload them to channels you own, attribute and link back to the originators channels, and give ownership of your channels to the owners of the original channel?

Maybe they'll hire you to continue producing shorts from their long form content? Regardless, you'll have gained experience creating and distributing short from content from long form content. Businesses will pay for this, and it's a great skill to have.

Apparently someone did something similar for the "My First Million" podcast and got hired to do their short form content going forward.
This sounds interesting to do as a kind of practice business actually, I can focus on learning how to keep people's attention for some short moments using other people's contents without it being blatant plagiarism

Even with other suggestions I'm gonna start doing it today and see if I can learn all the bells and whistles of being in this space

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This sounds interesting to do as a kind of practice business actually, I can focus on learning how to keep people's attention for some short moments using other people's contents without it being blatant plagiarism

Even with other suggestions I'm gonna start doing it today and see if I can learn all the bells and whistles of being in this space
May I suggest you stop thinking of it as a "practice business".

In the example above, you're helping the creator of the long form content, and you're helping the people who can consume the short form content you create from it.

Business is simple ... Help people. Get paid. Help more people.

Start by helping people, then figuring out how to get paid (not necessarily from the first people you helped, but maybe from more people going forward).

This thread might be helpful:

UnnamedBeast

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 16, 2022
May I suggest you stop thinking of it as a "practice business".

In the example above, you're helping the creator of the long form content, and you're helping the people who can consume the short form content you create from it.

Business is simple ... Help people. Get paid. Help more people.

Start by helping people, then figuring out how to get paid (not necessarily from the first people you helped, but maybe from more people going forward).

This thread might be helpful:
Helping people does have a better ring to it when it actually is literally what you're doing rather than just saying practice business.

I'm gonna use today up to see who I want to focus on who I'll be helping (specific content creator) and figuring out how to go about it in the best way I can.

Thanks for the thread because I'm definitely gonna need some info to atleast start off well!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.