The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Comfortable with a lack of hunger...

Anything related to matters of the mind

jeandearme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 2, 2011
Find out what you want to achieve further and reverse engineer how to get there.
It doesnt have to be money, it could be travelling, raising kids, prioritising family or climbing mount F*cking everest or even simply chilling. Its ok if you dont want to start a multimillion dollar world changing company
It is money. Every else relies on that heavily so I simplify all to that. Tried reverse engineer, but it didn't seemed to work for me. Probably one of my criteria (not wanting to hire people) is well limiting my options to solopreneur online opportunities.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Muhammad Ibrahim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 1, 2022
It is money. Every else relies on that heavily so I simplify all to that. Tried reverse engineer, but it didn't seemed to work for me. Probably one of my criteria (not wanting to hire people) is well limiting my options to solopreneur online opportunities.
Ok lets fix that. Be specific. How much money, in what amount of time, how do you want to make it and how do you want to spend it and why

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
I'm a freelance web dev - that's how I make a living if that's what you meant. I also tried running web dev agency (can dm you a link), but didn't work out and had to look for a job.
Why didn’t it work out? There are many web dev agencies out there who DO work out. What are they doing differently from you?

Figure that out, and you’ll level up and unlock the next stage of your growth.

emavery176

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Sep 21, 2023
It sounds like your "why" isn't strong enough nor have you experienced a FTE life event.

Why do you want to be an entrepreneur? Surely there is something at your job or current situation you dislike. Use that a fuel for your fire.

jeandearme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 2, 2011
Ok lets fix that. Be specific. How much money, in what amount of time, how do you want to make it and how do you want to spend it and why
$30m in next 5-10 years. Don't know how, best from crypto and business ventures. I don't need a big house, I'm just interested in cars and travel, that's all I'm after. Unfortunately, they are more expensive than houses. Why? Because I like it.
Why didn’t it work out? There are many web dev agencies out there who DO work out. What are they doing differently from you?

Figure that out, and you’ll level up and unlock the next stage of your growth.
I tried to accommodate Brett Williams' Designjoy design agency model which is $5000/mo unlimited work. The thing with his work is that he claims to put 30 mins top per project because that's how fast he works. I didn't knew that before I opened my own. He got famous lately because he's netting over $1m/year just by working 6h per day. Very interesting model in this specific niche. Web dev (or any dev) is almost never that fast, maybe some small tweaks, but design is infinitely easier because you have no technical limits and most pages have finite amount of ways to be put together. He calls it "Productized service".

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvZxfvECZnA

jeandearme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 2, 2011
It sounds like your "why" isn't strong enough nor have you experienced a FTE life event.

Why do you want to be an entrepreneur? Surely there is something at your job or current situation you dislike. Use that a fuel for your fire.
That's true, I don't want to - yet I don't see any other ways to make bigger amounts of money so I kinda have to. For a web dev there is quite defined top at how much one can make and it's not exponential. Fuel for fire is not needed - I just don't know where to point it.

Muhammad Ibrahim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 1, 2022
That's true, I don't want to - yet I don't see any other ways to make bigger amounts of money so I kinda have to.
The core of the problem
Want the result without the suffering necessary to get the result

Muhammad Ibrahim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 1, 2022
nor have you experienced a FTE life event.
How does one "experience" an FTE event. I mean hard work, research, learning all of that is under our control
But an FTE, the base of the unscripted framework, is something that is supposed to happen?
I mean one Could just throw himself into hard slowlane circumstances to force an FTE but other than that, how can one bring about an FTE? @MJ DeMarco ?

emavery176

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Sep 21, 2023
That's true, I don't want to -
And that's the summary for the entire thread. Respectfully, you sound like those drug addicts on Skid Row who talk about getting clean but shoot up heroin the moment they get $5 in their pockets. Those junkies haven't cleaned up their habits because they haven't hit rock bottom. It's the same principle with you - You haven't hit rock bottom yet.

Until that happens, you rely on motivation (which is fleeting) to carry you through the journey. Maybe work a 9-5 for a few more years, experience some serious "bumps" in your life (a chronic disease, a crazy client, a new child, a severe accident, etc.), and that will wake you up.

Good luck!

Last edited:

emavery176

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Sep 21, 2023
How does one "experience" an FTE event. I mean hard work, research, learning all of that is under our control
But an FTE, the base of the unscripted framework, is something that is supposed to happen?
I mean one Could just throw himself into hard slowlane circumstances to force an FTE but other than that, how can one bring about an FTE? @MJ DeMarco ?
I'm not sure. However, I've never heard of a successful entrepreneur who hasn't experienced one.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
I tried to accommodate Brett Williams' Designjoy design agency model which is $5000/mo unlimited work. The thing with his work is that he claims to put 30 mins top per project because that's how fast he works. I didn't knew that before I opened my own. He got famous lately because he's netting over $1m/year just by working 6h per day. Very interesting model in this specific niche. Web dev (or any dev) is almost never that fast, maybe some small tweaks, but design is infinitely easier because you have no technical limits and most pages have finite amount of ways to be put together. He calls it "Productized service".
I know it. I tried the same model for us, and the result was that people were still coming on sales calls, nobody was buying off the website without hopping on a sales call. So what was the point?

If you want to know what I think, then I think that Brett is lying. Nobody would buy an “unlimited” design agency model at $5K/mo. Especially without coming on a call. That is absolutely ridiculous. You have options from design pickle at a fraction of that price. And they’re an agency, not a one-man show where you have to put up with delays.

If you check Brett’s website when he was ACTUALLY running designjoy as opposed to selling a course, his prices were in the $500-1,500/mo range. You can check using Wayback Machine. That’s a whole different story.

Right now, designjoy seems to be a defunct business that’s merely a front for making gullible people believe that’s possible so they buy his course.

jeandearme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 2, 2011
The core of the problem
Want the result without the suffering necessary to get the result
You realize that I had some businesses before, one I even sold, right? I suffered already, that's not even the point. I see many to succeed with half of the suffering I had and for sure in less time. So suffering has not much to do with it, effectiveness does.

And that's the summary for the entire thread. Respectfully, you sound like those drug addicts on Skid Row who talk about getting clean but shoot up heroin the moment they get $5 in their pockets. Those junkies haven't cleaned up their habits because they haven't hit rock bottom. It's the same principle with you - You haven't hit rock bottom yet.

Until that happens, you rely on motivation (which is fleeting) to carry you through the journey. Maybe work a 9-5 for a few more years, experience some serious "bumps" in your life (a chronic disease, a crazy client, a new child, a severe accident, etc.), and that will wake you up.

Good luck!
You probably got it twisted - there is a saying that most entrepreneuers are them because there was no other way for them. Comparing me to a junkie was a bit unnecessary because what habits you have in mind? I go regularly to gym and such, I take care of my physical health (because right now I'm dealing with family situation so I'm just down mentally). I'm just trying to gauge where to put all that time. So far, I'm putting it into finding what I should do next because not doing anything is absolutely destroying. And the time it takes worries me more with every day.

And regarding FTE event, had couple of them and always ended in even worse situation. Not sure how it works, it just always ended with even bigger debt than before the new business venture.

jeandearme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 2, 2011
I know it. I tried the same model for us, and the result was that people were still coming on sales calls, nobody was buying off the website without hopping on a sales call. So what was the point?

If you want to know what I think, then I think that Brett is lying. Nobody would buy an “unlimited” design agency model at $5K/mo. Especially without coming on a call. That is absolutely ridiculous. You have options from design pickle at a fraction of that price. And they’re an agency, not a one-man show where you have to put up with delays.

If you check Brett’s website when he was ACTUALLY running designjoy as opposed to selling a course, his prices were in the $500-1,500/mo range. You can check using Wayback Machine. That’s a whole different story.

Right now, designjoy seems to be a defunct business that’s merely a front for making gullible people believe that’s possible so they buy his course.
Yes, I checked his site using Wayback Machine to see what design he had back then while doing research for my own site - and it was pretty simple compared to current one. I understood it as that he was starting so he put lower prices, now he's known so to limit incoming offers he increased the price over the years. He claims to make $120k/mo which means 24 clients so in a full workweek mode that gives over 6 hours per client per month. Maybe he's USP is just delivering within 2-3 days and some companies pays mostly for that and no-questions-asked approach (time value)? We won't get to know I think since he has no employees.

...and yes, I bought his course. It was $50 though (initially bought for $100, but later he made a discount and I asked him if he could cancel my previous order so I can make use of that discount and he did - I point it out just to show that maybe he's not that bad, but of course, might be a bias as well).

Edit: https://www.similarweb.com/website/designjoy.co/#overview he has 300k visits a month o_O With all his media appearances in the last months - even if he didn't had those clients, I bet now he does.

Last edited:

emavery176

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Sep 21, 2023
You realize that I had some businesses before, one I even sold, right? I suffered already, that's not even the point. I see many to succeed with half of the suffering I had and for sure in less time. So suffering has not much to do with it, effectiveness does.

You probably got it twisted - there is a saying that most entrepreneuers are them because there was no other way for them. Comparing me to a junkie was a bit unnecessary because what habits you have in mind? I go regularly to gym and such, I take care of my physical health (because right now I'm dealing with family situation so I'm just down mentally). I'm just trying to gauge where to put all that time. So far, I'm putting it into finding what I should do next because not doing anything is absolutely destroying. And the time it takes worries me more with every day.

And regarding FTE event, had couple of them and always ended in even worse situation. Not sure how it works, it just always ended with even bigger debt than before the new business venture.
You might be in great physical shape but your mental state is quite apathetic. Your posts sounds like you're very dark place right now. A lack of drive is common among people with depression or loss.

jeandearme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 2, 2011
You might be in great physical shape but your mental state is quite apathetic. Your posts sounds like you're very dark place right now. A lack of drive is common among people with depression or loss.
I have depression for the last 15 years, now is still better than I was after I went to therapy and found a great partner that I live with now and also I'm dealing with a loss at the same time. Times got dark immediately, but still trying to somehow go forward.

Muhammad Ibrahim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 1, 2022
You realize that I had some businesses before, one I even sold, right? I suffered already, that's not even the point. I see many to succeed with half of the suffering I had and for sure in less time.
1. Do you really think everyone has equal thresholds?
2. How did you measure this 'suffering' and come to this conclusion?
3. Obviously cause if just suffering made money then prisoners kf war would be hella rich. Its about the direction the suffering is in, the vehicle.
4. You are 100% right. Give up. No need to do anything more with your life, just stop all efforts and wallow in your depression.

tomzestatlu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Nov 29, 2021
Czech republic
The problem is that when you are a child you are being taught that if you put in certain effort you will get certain reward. But the reality of life is different and that´s frustrating. The more effort you put in the bigger chance of reward you get. But still it´s with zero guarantee.

There are countless gurus on the internet who tell you that you need to exercise, read books, start a biz and get some cold showers and your will be happy. And there you are, doing all the things right, and still depressed and poor.

I read through this thread briefly but from what I saw I can say you don´t seek an specific answer to a specific problem. I think that you seek a space to write all your desperate thoughts down (which is the greatest thing you can do for yourself ever), geting a different point of view and a little bit of understanding and pity.

And I believe there are some guys here who mastered the most of the areas of life and not only business related stuff. But I think that most of us are dealing with the same stuff as you do. Trying to find the direction of our next step and power to do that step. With feeling that sometimes nothing really matters.

What a privilege it is to carry this weight.
There are many men who lost it in exchange for few brief moments of relief. And who simply gave up.

jeandearme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 2, 2011
There are countless gurus on the internet who tell you that you need to exercise, read books, start a biz and get some cold showers and your will be happy. And there you are, doing all the things right, and still depressed and poor.
Yes, pretty much this.
I read through this thread briefly but from what I saw I can say you don´t seek an specific answer to a specific problem. I think that you seek a space to write all your desperate thoughts down (which is the greatest thing you can do for yourself ever), geting a different point of view and a little bit of understanding and pity.
Might be, not sure about that one.

And I believe there are some guys here who mastered the most of the areas of life and not only business related stuff. But I think that most of us are dealing with the same stuff as you do. Trying to find the direction of our next step and power to do that step. With feeling that sometimes nothing really matters.
Also this. Direction is very important, like laser - it has only power when focused.

What a privilege it is to carry this weight.
There are many men who lost it in exchange for few brief moments of relief. And who simply gave up.
It makes me wonder how one can be depressed and at the same time not give up? Maybe that's how actually life looks like for success?

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
I suffered already, that's not even the point. I see many to succeed with half of the suffering I had and for sure in less time. So suffering has not much to do with it, effectiveness does.
This is gold. Businesses aren’t about suffering, while there is discomfort and hard times in every business - generally speaking, the right business isn’t a never ending suffer fest. Quite the opposite, once you solve for the most immediate set of problems, money starts flowing in and it become a lot of fun!

Here is a link to my thread where I discuss this in great detail:

Thread '8 Steps To Help You Plan for Business Success, a How-To Guide'
GOLD! - EXECUTION - 8 Steps To Help You Plan for Business Success, a How-To Guide

I have depression for the last 15 years, now is still better than I was after I went to therapy and found a great partner that I live with now and also I'm dealing with a loss at the same time. Times got dark immediately, but still trying to somehow go forward.

That sucks. Sorry to hear you are dealing with a lot… and of course you are still here, comfortably debating even with people throwing crap at you. Whatever weight you are carrying on your shoulders, it sounds like you are actually doing well carrying it. Unlike some posters comparing you to a junky, you are the opposite of that. Plenty of weaker people had to deal with 1/10th of your challenges and actually became junkies, yet you are the opposite. You are here, you are at the gym, you have a healthy relationship and even therapy that had positive impact. Kudos to you!

I’d like to see other readers see this as a positive example, not a negative one. Money and wealth can come very quickly. Just because you haven’t hit your streak yet, doesn’t mean it won’t happen ever. I don‘t even remember when I made my first million. People ask but I can’t tell you, it’s all a blur … I went from negative net worth to one day realizing we were millionaires. Then I launched a new business and poured everything into there and felt poor again, darkness is always just around the corner. My business partner died in year 2 within 4 months of a diagnosis (tumour)… then Covid hit, more darkness. Shit happens all the time even to people who are rich or poor or whatever - it just happens. It’s what we do with it that matters.

Which again, points me to your example, as a positive one. You have shit to deal with and you are dealing with it the best way you know how. You aren’t giving up. There is a lesson in that for all readers.

Thanks.

jeandearme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 2, 2011
This is gold. Businesses aren’t about suffering, while there is discomfort and hard times in every business - generally speaking, the right business isn’t a never ending suffer fest. Quite the opposite, once you solve for the most immediate set of problems, money starts flowing in and it become a lot of fun!

Here is a link to my thread where I discuss this in great detail:

Thread '8 Steps To Help You Plan for Business Success, a How-To Guide'
GOLD! - EXECUTION - 8 Steps To Help You Plan for Business Success, a How-To Guide
Thanks! I really like how to the point is that thread of yours, will read it couple of times more to understand it better.

That sucks. Sorry to hear you are dealing with a lot… and of course you are still here, comfortably debating even with people throwing crap at you. Whatever weight you are carrying on your shoulders, it sounds like you are actually doing well carrying it. Unlike some posters comparing you to a junky, you are the opposite of that. Plenty of weaker people had to deal with 1/10th of your challenges and actually became junkies, yet you are the opposite. You are here, you are at the gym, you have a healthy relationship and even therapy that had positive impact. Kudos to you!
So many times I wish I knew how to drink - (un?)fortunately I went sober all my life while also trying to be diplomatic. I understand that no one will understand my situation as much as I do and same applies in reverse so I'm trying to take that into account when hearing the good, the bad and the ugly. Thanks for the appreciation and introspectiveness.

I’d like to see other readers see this as a positive example, not a negative one. Money and wealth can come very quickly. Just because you haven’t hit your streak yet, doesn’t mean it won’t happen ever. I don‘t even remember when I made my first million. People ask but I can’t tell you, it’s all a blur … I went from negative net worth to one day realizing we were millionaires. Then I launched a new business and poured everything into there and felt poor again, darkness is always just around the corner. My business partner died in year 2 within 4 months of a diagnosis (tumour)… then Covid hit, more darkness. Shit happens all the time even to people who are rich or poor or whatever - it just happens. It’s what we do with it that matters.

Which again, points me to your example, as a positive one. You have shit to deal with and you are dealing with it the best way you know how. You aren’t giving up. There is a lesson in that for all readers.

Thanks.
:praise:

tomzestatlu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Nov 29, 2021
Czech republic
It makes me wonder how one can be depressed and at the same time not give up? Maybe that's how actually life looks like for success?
For answer look at yourself.

Are you depressed? Maybe? Have you given up? No!

Look at you, even though it´s tempting to label yourself and give up on everything and some "expert" probably told you so, you are still trying. You are still trying to find a way and to do great things for your and probably people around you. That´s not how giving up looks like.

If you gave up, probably you wouldn´t be asking questions how to do better, starting businesses, acquiring new skills, improving your body. More likely you would be lying in the bed, stink and pitying yourself for being abandoned by your girlfriend who can´t just plan her future with somebody who gave up on life.

Look at Tyson Fury. He´s the most dangerous man on earth who have never been defeated and can beat up anybody. He had won all the possible belts he could. But still he suffers from serious depression. Does he have this problem when he is preparing for a fight to become world champion? No, it happens when he doesn´t have any goal at the moment. When there´s no goal to strive for in sight. And only way how he can get rid of his dark thoughs? Set another goal and execute.

Eurojanek

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Oct 9, 2020
In most cases depression is translated as a lack of sense of purpose.
I suggest you start with sorting that out.

Spending your life comfortably numb? Meh.
Hedonistic happiness? Good for a while.
Status? Yeah, good for getting them chicks, 'cause that's what they want.
Eudaimonistic happiness? That's what we aim here for in fastlane community.

Choose your drug. You might try a tool called "7 whys" for that.

jeandearme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 2, 2011
For answer look at yourself.

Are you depressed? Maybe? Have you given up? No!

Look at you, even though it´s tempting to label yourself and give up on everything and some "expert" probably told you so, you are still trying. You are still trying to find a way and to do great things for your and probably people around you. That´s not how giving up looks like.

If you gave up, probably you wouldn´t be asking questions how to do better, starting businesses, acquiring new skills, improving your body. More likely you would be lying in the bed, stink and pitying yourself for being abandoned by your girlfriend who can´t just plan her future with somebody who gave up on life.

Look at Tyson Fury. He´s the most dangerous man on earth who have never been defeated and can beat up anybody. He had won all the possible belts he could. But still he suffers from serious depression. Does he have this problem when he is preparing for a fight to become world champion? No, it happens when he doesn´t have any goal at the moment. When there´s no goal to strive for in sight. And only way how he can get rid of his dark thoughs? Set another goal and execute.
That's a good example, thank you. One note though: sometimes it feels like it's life that gave up on us, not us on it. I know, life doesn't care - but when you try enough number of times you start to think if there is really something like destiny. Jack Dorsey said himself he didn't want to become entrepreneur or CEO - he was a punk back in the day. Some people just can't help it and become rich while others all they want is to be rich and can't help it to get there.

In most cases depression is translated as a lack of sense of purpose.
I suggest you start with sorting that out.
Yeah, I think it might be it - this time just more into purposelessness. Still working it out, though.

Spending your life comfortably numb? Meh.
Hedonistic happiness? Good for a while.
Status? Yeah, good for getting them chicks, 'cause that's what they want.
Eudaimonistic happiness? That's what we aim here for in fastlane community.
Hm, tried all four of these. When you at the bottom your list shrinks not even because you want it to shrink, but because you just can't afford it - usually financially, but sometimes even mentally. Spiral down. When you spiral up you get all of these basically as a byproduct and then you can actually choose your drug. Maybe it's the options that I lack - it's completely different spot when you have a lot to choose from.

Choose your drug. You might try a tool called "7 whys" for that.
Forgot about this tool - thanks for reminding. Will check it out again.

jeandearme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 2, 2011
Burn your bridges too.
Maybe it works for some. In my case (and I did it more than once) just ended up even worse. I noticed it's so easy for people to advise to set your life on fire and if it won't work - they be like: 'Oh, well'. I'm too old now to go all-in like there is no tomorrow. Just in case, I have to assume there is one - you know, risk management.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.