The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

ChatGPT AI is a huge breakthrough, a Google killer

uhhfeef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Nov 17, 2022

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I haven't read all 23 pages, so angry rant me if this was addressed...

Do you view outsourced thinking as a problem?

I turn to GPT4 to help flesh out ideas. How long before I'm unable to generate ideas without GPT, and does it even matter?

AI will improve over time. Humans will hand over more thought tasks. Ideation, strategizing, planning, questioning. AI will guide what we think about and how we think about it.

Humans are expected to merge with technology (the singularity) at some point.

Is there a point where outsourced thinking becomes a problem? If human thinking is inefficient, and we can get the info we need faster (i.e. instead of reading books, GPT summarizes info for us) then is it a problem?

It seems like there will be a period between where we are now and total technology immersion where smart people could be dumbed down by relying on AI. It also could be the case that dumb people might be elevated by leveraging AI, but I suspect this outcome will take longer to emerge if it occurs. Maybe all people will be elevated in intelligence by AI. I only expect that to happen once technological immersion is achieved.

My personal experience is that my thinking has suffered some by over-relying on GPT4 despite having thoughtful conversations within the AI.

Some responses might suggest leveraging AI as a supplement rather than outsourcing thinking. That is probably the ideal. But what happens if getting instant answers has a similar effect to the conditioned responses of social media that keep people scrolling for hours?

rory182

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
331%
Dec 26, 2022

I turn to GPT4 to help flesh out ideas. How long before I'm unable to generate ideas without GPT, and does it even matter?

AI will improve over time. Humans will hand over more thought tasks. Ideation, strategizing, planning, questioning. AI will guide what we think about and how we think about it.

Is there a point where outsourced thinking becomes a problem? If human thinking is inefficient, and we can get the info we need faster (i.e. instead of reading books, GPT summarizes info for us) then is it a problem?

It seems like there will be a period between where we are now and total technology immersion where smart people could be dumbed down by relying on AI. It also could be the case that dumb people might be elevated by leveraging AI, but I suspect this outcome will take longer to emerge if it occurs. Maybe all people will be elevated in intelligence by AI. I only expect that to happen once technological immersion is achieved.

My personal experience is that my thinking has suffered some by over-relying on GPT4 despite having thoughtful conversations within the AI.

Some responses might suggest leveraging AI as a supplement rather than outsourcing thinking. That is probably the ideal. But what happens if getting instant answers has a similar effect to the conditioned responses of social media that keep people scrolling for hours?

The below average have benefitted the most from AI (this article is a good description)

There's still many benefits to being 'deep' and truly knowledgeable about something and being able to use it in a real-world scenario (a lot of my thoughts are from software engineering)

When I think of AI writing code for us, it's still not creating the latest frameworks, updates to software etc - it's similar to being a producer than a consumer. If you're a pure consumer, you'll think and act like the crowd, you'll get AI to do basic boilerplate stuff that isn't impressive. If you're producing, you're building the next best things e.g. OpenAI are still coding the assistants API, the new GPTs.

I stopped using copilot (code suggestions while coding) for this reason. I went back to 'manual' to truly understand as I was effectively being lazy and dumbing down myself. Also, with a big paragraph of code it was suggesting, I was pretty much ruining my focus - I had this thought on how to do this thing, but then AI splurged everything at me and basically ruined any clear thinking.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Yes, I've actually noticed this in my own use, although I don't let AI think for me, I let it help me solve problems.

But when it solves your problems, I noticed my ability and patience for problem solving seems to suffer.

It's like a muscle that starts to atrophy.

Definitely some concerns worth watching, much like overuse of social media, another thing I watch closely.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
OpenAI fired Sam Altman

RightyTighty

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
May 31, 2023
Arkansas
I've noticed slowness and network issues when using GPT4. Not sure if its related.

Anyone else facing the same issues?
Yes. Unable to upload pdf's with askyourpdf.

You have quite a software productocracy when (1) you have to tell people you can't accept any more money for a while and (2) no one who has already paid is screaming for a refund when the product fails to perform.

Dean Irwin

The GoalSumo Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Jan 1, 2021
Sandy Springs, GA
Sam Altman just got fired as CEO of OpenAI... This is a reminder to everyone to be "candid in communications".

Young Money

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Apr 27, 2018
Canada

You need to go watch the new South Park special: Into the Panderverse.

Not only is it hilarious (as always), it is so relevant to what you just said. Basically all the white collar people become so reliant on their phones and chat-gpt that they can't do the most simple tasks themselves, so they have to constantly hire handymen - and the increased demand causes the handymen to become uber-rich! LOL

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Yes, I've actually noticed this in my own use, although I don't let AI think for me, I let it help me solve problems.

But when it solves your problems, I noticed my ability and patience for problem solving seems to suffer.

Definitely some concerns worth watching, much like overuse of social media, another thing I watch closely.
I've noticed this as well.

Another area of atrophy for me is short-term memory.

I use my apple reminders app constantly. For just about everything. So easy with voice input to just hold the side button and say "remind me tomorrow AM to get dog food."

But I'm less able to remember without it now.

But is it a problem? Is that a bad thing? An open question I don't have an answer to yet.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
OpenAI fired Sam Altman

Sam Altman just got fired as CEO of OpenAI... This is a reminder to everyone to be "candid in communications".

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013

I personally think there will be a big difference between us older folks who have always had to do our own problem solving vs. younger folks who rely on AI throughout their lives. I think the drawbacks will be much greater for the younger group.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Cashflow issues?

I'm guessing to front load cash and get a ton of "planned obsolescence" revenue (unused credits).

I've used the API extensively and have yet to generate a bill.

Now, I likely need to fork over a few bucks.

jdm667

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 27, 2020
Boston, MA
Undoubtedly. Running the servers is probably costing way more than they thought. Now they know why Google limits the crawl budget for indexing websites.

Unrealistic income and expense projections is probably a big part of why Sam Altman is gone.

KiwiEC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jan 5, 2023
France
OK so what happened this weekend with OpenAI is basically a remake of Game of Thrones.

For those who are lost or did not follow up (which is pretty understandable), here is a small recap. It's based on what I found on X (which was the main place to get some news) and my personal understanding of the events.

Main characters:
  • Sam Altman | Ex-CEO of OpenAI, he is (was) the face of OpenAI.
  • Ilya Sutskever | CTO of OpenAI and board member. If Sam is the face of OpenAI, Ilya is undoubtedly the brain.
  • Satya Nadella | CEO of Microsoft, he basically puts the money on the table, providing infrastructures (computing power) and ressources for AI development.
1. Prologue

A few days ago, OpenAI organized a keynote where Sam Altman announced new features (eg. the ability to build specialized AI-assistants).

During the event (and previous recents interviews), he also suggested that OpenAI is intensely training the next-gen AI GPT-5 and the results are way beyond expectations.

2. Ilya's coup

Last Friday, Sam was invited to a quick and unexpected remote meeting (some folks are laughing on the fact it was set on Google Meet and not on Microsoft Teams, despite 10 billions of investment from MSFT).

It was basically an ambush where the OpenAI board (exepted Greg Brockman, main supporter of Sam) simply fired him with a ridiculous reason (not candid enough in communications). This initiative was led by Ilya.

3. Implosion of OpenAI

To be short, most of OpenAI key employees announced leaving the company.

Satya Nadella and Microsoft, who learnt the new at the same time as everybody else, was obviously furious and worked behind the scenes to reintegrate Sam as OpenAI's CEO.

4. A potential comeback

Sam said he was not against coming back but with a complete rework of the board structure. Microsoft was 100% on his side. But despite 10 billions invested in OpenAI, they had no board member to push this.

There was a deadline set on Sunday's evening.

5. Two factions

Surprisingly, Ilya and the board held their position and announced nomination of Emmett Shear (also well known in the tech universe, founder of Twitch) as OpenAI's new CEO.

On his side, Satya Nadella hired Sam and former OpenAI loyalists to form a new AI team directly into Microsoft.

That's it for the events in the most concise way I could.

Now what's behind this? Why all of this happened?

What's below is from many sources on Twitter, INSIDERS and tech experts. This is, for the moment, only speculation even if many facts tend to validate it.

You have to understand that the domain of AI is divided into two factions:
  • e/a (effective altruism) faction | People who thinks AI could be a massive threat to humanity and it needs to be limited.
  • e/acc (effective accelerationism) faction | People who thinks AI could be a massive benefit for humanity and it should be developed as fast as possible.

This division was also occuring into OpenAI.

Sam Altman did many statements about how AI can change the world and need to be developed, he is clearly an e/acc.
Ilya Sutskever (which is the technical guy behind it) always said we need to be very careful with AI, he is an e/a.

Remember when I said Sam announced GPT-5 will be incredibly disruptive? Many people (and this tends to be confirmed by some internal sources), think GPT-5 is an AGI.

AGI stands for Artificial General Intelligence. To be short, this would be an AI as intelligent as humans (and that could then improve itself again and again). More info here:

In OpenAI's internal regulation, there is a chapter saying if AGI is discovered it should be constrained until further indication to ensure there is no risk for humanity.

Don't misunderstand me, it's not about Skynet from Terminator movies. The risks related to AI could be numerous (mass unemploiment is only one of them).

If GPT-5 is really that powerful, it means Sam wanted it to get released asap while Ilya wanted to constrain it. That's why the latter panicked and did a coup.

This makes sense as the board nominated Emmett Shear as the new CEO. Emmett is one of the biggest e/a spokesman.

Unfortunately for Ilya, the e/acc members from OpenAI just teamed into Microsoft new team. Sam has now full control and power on it.

What would happen next? Any thoughts? /discuss

TL;DR:

View: https://twitter.com/praaatiiik/status/1726533129475899576

View: https://twitter.com/blader/status/1726517095293387182

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
OK so what happened this weekend with OpenAI is basically a remake of Game of Thrones.

For those who are lost or did not follow up (which is pretty understandable), here is a small recap. It's based on what I found on X (which was the main place to get some news) and my personal understanding of the events.

Main characters:
  • Ilya Sutskever | CTO of OpenAI and board member. If Sam is the face of OpenAI, Ilya is undoubtedly the brain.
  • Satya Nadella | CEO of Microsoft, he basically puts the money on the table, providing infrastructures (computing power) and ressources for AI development.
1. Prologue

A few days ago, OpenAI organized a keynote where Sam Altman announced new features (eg. the ability to build specialized AI-assistants).

During the event (and previous recents interviews), he also suggested that OpenAI is intensely training the next-gen AI GPT-5 and the results are way beyond expectations.

2. Ilya's coup

Last Friday, Sam was invited to a quick and unexpected remote meeting (some folks are laughing on the fact it was set on Google Meet and not on Microsoft Teams, despite 10 billions of investment from MSFT).

It was basically an ambush where the OpenAI board (exepted Greg Brockman, main supporter of Sam) simply fired him with a ridiculous reason (not candid enough in communications). This initiative was led by Ilya.

3. Implosion of OpenAI

Satya Nadella and Microsoft, who learnt the new at the same time as everybody else, was obviously furious and worked behind the scenes to reintegrate Sam as OpenAI's CEO.

4. A potential comeback

Sam said he was not against coming back but with a complete rework of the board structure. Microsoft was 100% on his side. But despite 10 billions invested in OpenAI, they had no board member to push this.

5. Two factions

Surprisingly, Ilya and the board held their position and announced nomination of Emmett Shear (also well known in the tech universe, founder of Twitch) as OpenAI's new CEO.

On his side, Satya Nadella hired Sam and former OpenAI loyalists to form a new AI team directly into Microsoft.

What's below is from many sources on Twitter, INSIDERS and tech experts. This is, for the moment, only speculation even if many facts tend to validate it.

• e/a (effective altruism) faction | People who thinks AI could be a massive threat to humanity and it needs to be limited.
  • e/acc (effective accelerationism) faction | People who thinks AI could be a massive benefit for humanity and it should be developed as fast as possible.

Sam Altman did many statements about how AI can change the world and need to be developed, he is clearly an e/acc.
Ilya Sutskever (which is the technical guy behind it) always said we need to be very careful with AI, he is an e/a.

Remember when I said Sam announced GPT-5 will be incredibly disruptive? Many people (and this tends to be confirmed by some internal sources), think GPT-5 is an AGI.

AGI stands for Artificial General Intelligence. To be short, this would be an AI as intelligent as humans (and that could then improve itself again and again). More info here:

In OpenAI's internal regulation, there is a chapter saying if AGI is discovered it should be constrained until further indication to ensure there is no risk for humanity.

Don't misunderstand me, it's not about Skynet from Terminator movies. The risks related to AI could be numerous (mass unemploiment is only one of them).

If GPT-5 is really that powerful, it means Sam wanted it to get released asap while Ilya wanted to constrain it. That's why the latter panicked and did a coup.

This makes sense as the board nominated Emmett Shear as the new CEO. Emmett is one of the biggest e/a spokesman.

Unfortunately for Ilya, the e/acc members from OpenAI just teamed into Microsoft new team. Sam has now full control and power on it.

TL;DR:

Thanks for the informative update.

The two most powerful leaders Biden and Xi are taking AI very seriously. The Biden Xi meeting has four agenda and managing AI risk being one of them.

Clearly it could be something as bad as nuclear if goes wrong.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Thanks for taking the time to explain it, @KiwiEC.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

Thank you for the writeup @KiwiEC

This whole situation is interesting because I can't remember the last time this many cared about corporate politics, aside from people who might get fired. This stuff happens often enough, yet news of Altman's firing has been absolutely everywhere.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

Main characters:
1. Prologue

2. Ilya's coup

3. Implosion of OpenAI

4. A potential comeback

5. Two factions

TL;DR:

I want to echo the chorus of thanks. This write up was insightful, interesting and well paced.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 11, 2018

KiwiEC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jan 5, 2023
France

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 11, 2018
To conclude on my previous post: in the end, Altman and his colleagues went back to OpenAI with more power.

10 millions is huge, I have seen some OpenAI engineers saying on Twitter they are paid 800k/year.
I'd happily take one of those jobs, lol. Imagine building state of art tech that might change the world and also make millions meanwhile. It's like a kid being paid for playing in the park.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
For those saying that AI won't take away a lot of jobs...

I've been using it to proofread my new book (sorry unannounced as of yet) and it does better than any editor I've ever hired.

BTW, I usually hire 3 editors for every book I write.

Now, I won't need to hire any.

RudyR

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Feb 24, 2023
Texas
For those saying that AI won't take away a lot of jobs...

I've been using it to proofread my new book (sorry unannounced as of yet) and it does better than any editor I've ever hired.

BTW, I usually hire 3 editors for every book I write.

Now, I won't need to hire any.
A new book...YES!!! And edited by AI...Sign me up

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Fascinating, for lots of different reasons:

Zontora

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Oct 29, 2023
I use ChatGPT a lot in my bussiness.

Both as an Api in my website, but also whenever I need some advice, for example:
I was looking into ways to expose a survey to potential customers, so I asked it for advice and it gave a huge list of ways. I tried a few and they work perfectly.

So for me, it's a great tool for learning and advice. Sometimes I also ask it to write pros and cons of things. I was conflicted what to charge for my product, I was leaning towards a higher number but was still uncertain. So I asked it and it wrote 10 cons and 10 pros on each. It helped confirm my intuiton towards the higher price.

I love this new "Aritificial revolution". For some it's scary, but change is always scary. But change leads to oppurtunity as well, always. So we just have to make sure we are utilizing the change to grow.

uhhfeef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Nov 17, 2022
GPT store to launch next week.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.