The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can’t find the need?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
I thought this would be a interesting thread to create because I feel like this problem affects all of us in some sort of way. Being able to see a need that can be turn into a opportunity is key in creating a business in essence its the spark to your fuel. In TMF it says to think and see the world through a producer lens instead of a consumer lens, which is absolutely true. Although what if you trying to find a need and see the world through a producer lens and nothing is clicking. I can attest to this because this happens to me and im sure this happens to other people and believe me its frustrating. Now could it be possible that the opportunity that you are looking for has not come up yet? could it be that you just don't have enough experience looking at the world in the type of way so therefore it's harder? could it be that your just searching so hard to find that need that you aren't stopping for a second and looking in front of you? Im curious to see what you guys have to say because I feel like this a problem every entrepreneur goes through when first starting out. Looking forward to your guys responses!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Yes, it’s a skill you develop. Also you get into a better position as you gain experience. When you’re young, you have less skills, know less people, haven’t learned anything the hard way. When you take action and have been in business for a few years you’ll know more about different industries, have more money to put into ideas, have experience in business in general, have more skills, have more friends who are in a good position to help you, etc.

For example now I have more people to connect with if I need help with starting something. I have more skills and can test ideas super quick. I can whip up a brand, website, logo, advertisements, etc all in an afternoon and test my ideas. I’d have a better time raising money. I have experience with hiring, managing, customer service, creating systems, etc. I’m better at 500 things compared to when I was starting. So even if we have the same ideas I can execute them a bit better. Imagine the guys here who are 45 that have 25 million to throw at a business or can raise funds at that level.

As you gain experience in business you start looking beyond the ‘visible’ businesses and start looking more ‘upstream’.

You might look at a construction company and see one business but I see dozens. There’s a company that sells the job scheduling software that they use. There’s a company that repairs their machinery. There’s a company that builds the machinery. There’s a company that supplies the rebar they use. There’s a company that manufactures the rubber hoses that goes into the machinery they buy. There’s a company that makes the paint that goes onto the hard hats they’re wearing. There’s consultants that get paid to come into this giant construction company and get paid $20 million to tell them how to run things better.

All of those companies were started by someone who saw a way to make money.

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
Yes, it’s a skill you develop. Also you get into a better position as you gain experience. When you’re young, you have less skills, know less people, haven’t learned anything the hard way. When you take action and have been in business for a few years you’ll know more about different industries, have more money to put into ideas, have experience in business in general, have more skills, have more friends who are in a good position to help you, etc.

For example now I have more people to connect with if I need help with starting something. I have more skills and can test ideas super quick. I can whip up a brand, website, logo, advertisements, etc all in an afternoon and test my ideas. I’d have a better time raising money. I have experience with hiring, managing, customer service, creating systems, etc. I’m better at 500 things compared to when I was starting. So even if we have the same ideas I can execute them a bit better. Imagine the guys here who are 45 that have 25 million to throw at a business or can raise funds at that level.

As you gain experience in business you start looking beyond the ‘visible’ businesses and start looking more ‘upstream’.

You might look at a construction company and see one business but I see dozens. There’s a company that sells the job scheduling software that they use. There’s a company that repairs their machinery. There’s a company that builds the machinery. There’s a company that supplies the rebar they use. There’s a company that manufactures the rubber hoses that goes into the machinery they buy. There’s a company that makes the paint that goes onto the hard hats they’re wearing. There’s consultants that get paid to come into this giant construction company and get paid $20 million to tell them how to run things better.

I Appreciate the Feedback Johnny, as someone who is currently having this problem as-well as being young and hungry this does help

Last edited:

jdm667

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 27, 2020
Boston, MA
My turn. I am in my car reading this thread as I wait for a family member at a doctor's appointment.

I see half a dozen landscapers flying around on lawnmowers. Someone has to sell them that equipment or replacement parts for it, maybe even repair it. Someone has to sell or lease them the trucks.

It is a medical facility, so they must pay someone to clean and sterilize the place regularly. They must also need medical waste disposal. The windows are really clean, so someone must do that too.

The staff needs to eat. Could someone bring them lunches? (Answer: yes. Another family member worked in pharma sales for years and brought lunch for doctors basically everyday.)

There are signs outside regarding the virus. Someone had to make them.

You can go on and on like this to find ideas. Once you get the hang of it, finding ideas won't be the hard part. Picking just one will be hard (but necessary).

Go to a store or building related to what you already know and try this idea-finding exercise there.

For example, if you know about music, go to Guitar Center and see what they have for sale and what type of companies serve them. See what their customers buy and how you can serve them.

Just walking through the store with this new mindset might reveal needs that you never even thought of.

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
Being also quite new, I do not know whether you should find tons of ideas or just one which you can imagine to execute with perseverance. I chose the second approach and I found my first idea by asking the following questions:

First question: What would you do if you had all the money that you want to live your dream life and experienced everything you want? If you have an answer, then this is your purpose.

Second question: What can you imagine to do to achieve this goal at your budget and skill level? This is the idea that you should pick. Maybe you'll get more than one idea and then CENTS will help.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Also, sometimes even if there’s a need we don’t see it anymore after we lose interest in the product/ hit a roadblock.

There’s always someone that needs something.

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
My turn. I am in my car reading this thread as I wait for a family member at a doctor's appointment.

I see half a dozen landscapers flying around on lawnmowers. Someone has to sell them that equipment or replacement parts for it, maybe even repair it. Someone has to sell or lease them the trucks.

It is a medical facility, so they must pay someone to clean and sterilize the place regularly. They must also need medical waste disposal. The windows are really clean, so someone must do that too.

The staff needs to eat. Could someone bring them lunches? (Answer: yes. Another family member worked in pharma sales for years and brought lunch for doctors basically everyday.)

You can go on and on like this to find ideas. Once you get the hang of it, finding ideas won't be the hard part. Picking just one will be hard (but necessary).

Go to a store or building related to what you already know and try this idea-finding exercise there.

For example, if you know about music, go to Guitar Center and see what they have for sale and what type of companies serve them. See what their customers buy and how you can serve them.

Just walking through the store with this new mindset might reveal needs that you never even thought of.
I appreciate the feedback

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

@jdm667 and @Johnny boy are observing demonstrated cashflows.

Money is *already* being spent on things. It’s already flowing.

Money is supposed to move — hence the words cashflow and currency.

I think I got the following visual from Grant Cardone: Imagine how much money is flowing within 100 meters of you right now? Are there homes, cars, roads, shops, street lights, etc? What are people paying to buy, maintain, insure, etc all of that stuff? There’s a big invisible current of money flowing around us, constantly. We just need some to flow through us.

I like to imagine we don’t *make* money, we *earn* money - by getting money that’s already flowing to flow through us.

Sooo… instead of getting hung up on searching for needs or searching for wants, why not follow the money?

What are people already spending their money on that indicates they have a problem you can help them solve?

I freelance helping businesses run their Google Ads campaigns. Why Google Ads? Because it’s a demonstrated cashflow that indicates the business is *already* prepared to spend their money to make more sales. I just attach myself to that demonstrated cashflow.

Another way I look at it is that business is simply helping people, and getting paid. If you want to get started quickly then go help folks. Then figure out how to help folks, and get paid.

If you take either of these ways of looking at it then you’ll be overwhelmed with the amount of invisible currents of money flowing around us, or the amount of people around us who we can help.

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
Also, sometimes even if there’s a need we don’t see it anymore after we lose interest in the product/ hit a roadblock.

There’s always someone that needs something.
I appreciate the feedback

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
@jdm667 and @Johnny boy are observing demonstrated cashflows.

Money is *already* being spent on things.

I think I got the following visual from Grant Cardone: Imagine how much money is flowing within 100 meters of you right now? Are there homes, cars, roads, shops, street lights, etc? What are people paying to buy, maintain, insure, etc all of that stuff? There’s a big invisible current of money flowing around us, constantly. We just need some to flow through us.

I like to imagine we don’t “make money”, we earn money - by getting money that’s already flowing to flow through us.

Sooo… instead of getting hung up on searching for needs or searching for wants, why not follow the money?

What are people already spending their money on that indicates they have a problem you can help them solve?

I freelance helping businesses run their Google Ads campaigns. Why Google Ads? Because it’s a demonstrated cashflow that indicates the business is *already* prepared to spend their money to make more sales. I just attach myself to that demonstrated cashflow.

Another way I look at it is that business is simply helping people, and getting paid. If you want to get started quickly then go help folks. Then figure out how to help folks, and get paid.
I appreciate the feedback, thanks for the more in depth explanation Andy

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I appreciate the feedback, thanks for the more in depth explanation Andy
You’re welcome. You’ll go far with good manners.

Did any of those visuals help?

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
I thought this would be a interesting thread to create because I feel like this problem affects all of us in some sort of way. Being able to see a need that can be turn into a opportunity is key in creating a business in essence its the spark to your fuel. In TMF it says to think and see the world through a producer lens instead of a consumer lens, which is absolutely true. Although what if you trying to find a need and see the world through a producer lens and nothing is clicking. I can attest to this because this happens to me and im sure this happens to other people and believe me its frustrating. Now could it be possible that the opportunity that you are looking for has not come up yet? could it be that you just don't have enough experience looking at the world in the type of way so therefore it's harder? could it be that your just searching so hard to find that need that you aren't stopping for a second and looking in front of you? Im curious to see what you guys have to say because I feel like this a problem every entrepreneur goes through when first starting out. Looking forward to your guys responses!
I'm curious as to what is your "Why".
As shown by the others above, ideas and money is abundant.
Ideas are one thing, but typically the problem with their lack gets resolved pretty quickly once you start doing stuff, or as Andy said, helping people.
It could even be random stuff at first.
Is something stopping you from taking actions?

HabitsCampaigner

Jim Miotke
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 6, 2021
Monterey, CA
First question: What would you do if you had all the money that you want to live your dream life and experienced everything you want? If you have an answer, then this is your purpose.

Second question: What can you imagine to do to achieve this goal at your budget and skill level? This is the idea that you should pick. Maybe you'll get more than one idea and then CENTS will help
I appreciate these reminder @OleksiyRybakov

Just as @Vasili27 mentioned, even though I’ve read this in MJ’s books, reading your post made it click.

This thread is quickly becoming a favorite. Your post @Andy Black is excellent.

After reading this thread yesterday, I finally got clear on my idea and started executing. Thank you.

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
I'm curious as to what is your "Why".
As shown by the others above, ideas and money is abundant.
Ideas are one thing, but typically the problem with their lack gets resolved pretty quickly once you start doing stuff, or as Andy said, helping people.
It could even be random stuff at first.
Is something stopping you from taking actions?
first off I appreciate the feedback and this was a great question because as I read it i thought to myself.

Yes you are correct money is flowing all around us and its true, now to answer your question if something is stopping me, the answer is yes and it is because I don't know which direction to go into because there are tons and tons of streams to attach myself too. After doing the exercise that @jdm667 suggested its extremely visible to see all the different "streams" my problem is finding just one and acting on it, because there are so many I will tend to over think and spin my wheels. This doesn't mean Im not hungry or motivated its almost like im holding myself back on trying to find a "good" one instead of just acting on one.

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
Being also quite new, I do not know whether you should find tons of ideas or just one which you can imagine to execute with perseverance. I chose the second approach and I found my first idea by asking the following questions:

Second question: What can you imagine to do to achieve this goal at your budget and skill level? This is the idea that you should pick. Maybe you'll get more than one idea and then CENTS will help.
thanks I appreciate the feedback

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
first off I appreciate the feedback and this was a great question because as I read it i thought to myself.

Yes you are correct money is flowing all around us and its true, now to answer your question if something is stopping me, the answer is yes and it is because I don't know which direction to go into because there are tons and tons of streams to attach myself too. After doing the exercise that @jdm667 suggested its extremely visible to see all the different "streams" my problem is finding just one and acting on it, because there are so many I will tend to over think and spin my wheels. This doesn't mean Im not hungry or motivated its almost like im holding myself back on trying to find a "good" one instead of just acting on one.
Hmm. I hope I’ve not led you astray by talking about cash flows.

If in doubt, follow Mother Theresa’s advice in my signature.

And this might help:

Onakosa

"When I grow up I want to be ... "
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Oct 23, 2020
UK
Just further to some of the answers above, back in 2010 there was a massive BP Oil spillage in the Gulf of Mexico. Everyone who had shares in BP rushed like mad to dump their previously profitable shares. I knew an entrepreneur type at time who told me this was madness. Why? The answer went something like, ‘they’re just focussing on the disaster. The sensible thing to do is to think laterally. So there’s an oil spillage – what do people need right now? They need clean up tools (machinery, hardware, chemicals) and services (the people who provide them), there will probably be an investigation so there’s opportunity there (lawyers/forensics/etc), and someone will have to take care of the marine and animal life in that area (service providers). There are a 100 profitable things you could be chucking at money, while your BP shares recover.’ It’s a good analogy for what we’re talking about on here. Pick a ‘thing’ and draw a little spider diagram of everything that gets you to and from that thing. Those are your opportunities.

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
Just further to some of the answers above, back in 2010 there was a massive BP Oil spillage in the Gulf of Mexico. Everyone who had shares in BP rushed like mad to dump their previously profitable shares. I knew an entrepreneur type at time who told me this was madness. Why? The answer went something like, ‘they’re just focussing on the disaster. The sensible thing to do is to think laterally. So there’s an oil spillage – what do people need right now? They need clean up tools (machinery, hardware, chemicals) and services (the people who provide them), there will probably be an investigation so there’s opportunity there (lawyers/forensics/etc), and someone will have to take care of the marine and animal life in that area (service providers). There are a 100 profitable things you could be chucking at money, while your BP shares recover.’ It’s a good analogy for what we’re talking about on here. Pick a ‘thing’ and draw a little spider diagram of everything that gets you to and from that thing. Those are your opportunities.
Thank you I appreciate the feedback

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa

And this might help:
appreciate the advice Andy I will make sure to listing to that audio,
I don't think you led me astray if anything you only made me see more clearly what I couldn't understand fully before.

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa

And this might help:
I gotta say one of the biggest take aways from this audio has to be when he talked about just going around and trying to help people answer their questions through the quora forum. like you stated earlier in this thread "If you want to get started quickly then go help folks. Then figure out how to help folks, and get paid." this is true while listening to the audio, he did not go around trying to sell a plan. Instead tried to identify the problem helping them by creating surveys, by doing this he was able to see what peoples problems and frustrations were. With that he created clients then created a solution to their need and with that he can be paid for his solutions.

Last edited:

B.Cotter

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Apr 23, 2020
Northern VA
This sounds a lot like "Do what you love" and "Follow your heart" which really isn't sound business advice in many cases. Have people been successful in doing this? Sure. But really it should be "Do what the market wants" and "Follow the market".

The market tells you what it wants, and if you're in tune enough to listen and respond accordingly, you'll have a higher chance of success.

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
This sounds a lot like "Do what you love" and "Follow your heart" which really isn't sound business advice in many cases. Have people been successful in doing this? Sure. But really it should be "Do what the market wants" and "Follow the market".

The market tells you what it wants, and if you're in tune enough to listen and respond accordingly, you'll have a higher chance of success.
I agree that my post can be misunderstood. However, I am not talking about doing what you love but about finding your own purpose. What would you do after you have already done everything that you love? The majority of people find some problem (or need) existing in the world that they would like to solve. By the way, my original post is similar to the last paragraph in TGRRE , chapter 96 (The Purpose Driven Strategy).

Last edited:

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
I agree that my post can be misunderstood. However, I am not talking about doing what you love but about finding your own purpose. What would you do after you have already done everything that you love? The majority of people find some problem (or need) existing in the world that they would like to solve. By the way, my original post is similar to the last paragraph in TGGRE, chapter 96 (The Purpose Driven Strategy).
I appreciate the feedback in thread!

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa

I Appreciate the feedback in the thread!

Phil Yu

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Aug 25, 2020
USA, CA

Great reply Johnny. Thanks for sharing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.