The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Business Ideas for the (emerging) stay-at-home Economy?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I loved that recording @Andy Black

The hard part is becoming qualified to answer the questions that help people without any real skills. Economics major + clothing store salesperson = useless.
Of course you have skills.

You passed some exams. Could you help anyone else pass exams?

You’ve got a job. Could you help anyone else get a job?

You have a job selling in a store. Could you help others do the same, or sell in general?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What can you do right here, right now, that will help people and where you can get paid?

Delivery driver? Seems like lots of businesses want to deliver products now, and delivery dates are getting pushed back for businesses that already deliver.

Fit safety screens in grocery stores and pharmacies to protect staff from the steady stream of customers?

Tutor kids online who are panicking (or who’s parents are panicking) about summer exams?

Help panicking businesses with their digital marketing and/or moving services online?

Move the chains

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Dec 15, 2019
As more people and companies are discovering that working from home might actually be a good thing for themselves/their business, maybe there's opportunity for a "working from home tech consultant".

This consultant would take care of the following things:

- Getting all necessary computers and tech in place so a person can start working for a company from home in rapid fashion (less than a day or something like that). They would select the computer, mouse, webcam, etc. and set it up for the home worker so the company doesn't even have to think about it.
- Setting up all necessary software (zoom etc.) so the home worker is ready to go as soon as possible
- Getting a person actually connected to their company's specific network through home (lots of small businesses don't necessarily have a dedicated I.T. person, it's just "the young guy on staff who knows a lot about computers" [been in this position many times]).
- Also takes care of chairs, desks, general ergonomics, etc.

I agree that this is going to encourage companies to consider more remote working options. One of the challenges is not only the infrastructure (tech) but coaching/educating managers or supervisors on how to effectively lead remote employees and teams. I'm sure the current situation is cause a bunch of middle managers to have kittens since they've never been challenged to evolve beyond micro-managing.

I've known plenty of bosses who measure an employee's value by how many hours their in the office. This is game-changer now in having to lead very differently and develop better metrics of success and value.

On the plus, we know a lot of younger people entering the workforce value their freedom and the movement to remote work spaces could be more appealing to that generation.

ricardo.chung5

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
600%
Feb 6, 2016
Yes! Valve (the video game company) just released a VR title, and I know that thousands of people have bought a VR headset for it. Those people had the money for a VR headset, and they definitely want to make use of it. Same goes for the other thousands of people who already owned one.

It doesn't have to be videogame related, although I personally think that's the easiest market to get into for VR.

VR streaming classes could also be a good idea. Depending on how long school is out, could be an option for teachers to have the same kinda effect without being there. VR is not a staple in every household right now but could be an option in the future

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Amazon had the "Customers who liked this also liked" system and I can't count how many times I've went down that rabbit hole
Side note: I've spoken to a guy who was on the team of Devs that presented this to Bezos. It was a online book store at the time. They said Hey!! We can develop a solution that recommends products based off of what they were searching for. Bezos said "you're all a bunch of F*cking idiots leave my office immediately". Then they built it anyway and presented it to him again. He liked it and implemented it. They probably should have done it elsewhere.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I know a market need is really important for an easier building experience, but we need to throw ourselves into something we are deeply and intrinsically passionate about. All of us know that the beginning grind will break even the most sturdy of minds, if that self propelling burn isn't going. So if nips up T shirts get your gears going, or building high density chicken coops for egg distribution, then its a good idea. But if we do things purely for the $, it will fizzle and die out in no time.

I know I see this all the time but it's not always true. I was in the cleaning business for 20 years basically and not for 1 second did I like it or care about it. I stayed so long because of the money I made from it. The only reason I worked in it almost every day is because I'm a pervert and liked seeing the girls. If not for the 'girls', I'd have probably never been seen. As for any passion for cleaning.... nope. The real main reasons I sold them was because I became less of a pervert and had enough money. I don't have a passion for washers and dryers but I just can't help myself when it comes to making money. The only reason I like this business is because I basically work alone so it keeps me busy (last night I worked from 10pm-4am).... I could care less about washers and dryers. There is something that I have a passion for and I'm starting it but for some reason, unlike all the businesses I've not had a passion for, I'm starting it real slow. I have everything ready but for some reason I'm waiting on that feeling that says, "GO!". When I do start it, I will be all in no matter if it makes me a dime. But passion is not needed for a money-making business..... I'm living proof. Actually, my sister is living proof as well.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Selling space blankets to the guys over in the COVID thread

source.gif

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I can access my work computer from anywhere using Remote Desktop. Maybe there are advantages to connecting via cloud-based?
Sorry that was a bit of an inside joke between him and myself.

But maybe a consulting service like @EVMaso said that shows less tech-savvy, traditional companies how to do stuff like this.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I can access my work computer from anywhere using Remote Desktop. Maybe there are advantages to connecting via cloud-based?
Are you using Microsoft a Remote Desktop?

I can NEVER get that to work right. I would love to set that up.

Cloud based would be more reliable than a single computer at a home. Also potentially more powerful and rent power as needed.

Both have advantages and disadvantages from where I’m standing.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Hi all.....IT expert here.

Yes, I have long considered doing a "roaming IT guy" model in my area. Since people need periodic IT support as opposed to a full time guy, a subscription-based model may be a good way to go, kind of like your weekly yard maintenance person. I have thought about crafting a support model. I also do some nice wireless installs (not that cable co wireless modem crap), which I can also manage remotely.

In terms of RDP, there are advantages to both, which @Kak indicated. My wife runs her small business and RDP absolutely DOES NOT work for her company, and never will. There is a significant learning curve that most users just cannot grasp. Office365, on the other hand, isn't so hard to grasp. Its a godsend, but it too has a learning curve, especially when you add OneDrive and Sharepoint into the mix. This is where I have a huge opportunity to sell services to my local community. Not on the office365 subscription, but on teaching people how to set it up properly and use it to its full potential. Figuring out how to effectively charge for my services would be my biggest challenge.

Anyway, I'm rambling.

AmazingLarry

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Jul 4, 2019
I've been thinking a lot about this recently. I'm living outside the US right now, but I'm from new england and I work closely with a custom fabrication / machine shop in Connecticut. I've been trying to come up with a product that I could design/sell and they could make. So far, I think my best bet would be something with home workout equipment or home office ergonomics.

Velocke

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
May 22, 2018
One idea might be to provide shopping services for the elderly. Right now many older people are really scared to be in public and us younger people are in a position to protect them. So I think that a business that helps them get the things they need (for a reasonable delivery price of course) could thrive in this new economy. A business (or even self-employment situation) that basically provides personal assistance to any elderly person who needs it. Many of them aren't that good with technology so applications like Peapod (that delivers groceries) might be too complicated for them. Purchase items, sterilize them, and leave them on their doorstep. This is also massively scaleable if you could start a service like Uber for this assuming there's no shelter-in-place order in your area.

I generally assume that either cost or the "not good with technology" aspect are what stop older people from taking advantage of the grocery-delivery services that exist. You say "a service like Uber", but that's still an app. Would you envision customers ordering services via phone call, then, to make it more accessible?
The trouble with trying to target under-served demographics often seems to be that those demographics don't have money, or at least not enough to support the proposed business/service. Do you think enough older people would be willing to pay for delivery or personal assistance service when a pandemic is not happening (would vary by area, of course).

dabelge

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Nov 22, 2011
Minneapolis
Not specific to staying at home, but infection prevention (nice ring to it...)

Coat all handrail, doorknob, gas pumps (basically thing that are commonly touched.) with copper, copper oxide or silver. After the awareness (and slight paranoia...) of viruses, you can bet this will be a great business.

Adding to the "don't dig for gold, sell shovels..." idea, any kind of company that can recoup, salvage or mine these metals can see a hefty profit.

Home computer building, home office supplies....Oh! Actually home office tools that combine different tools in one to save space!

Building desks, comfortable computer chairs.

Space management services and interior design firms will have a boom due to people integrating more office in their living space.

just read this from fastcompany

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
My daughter is working at a hospital & taking care of a Covid19 ward. she has to self isolate herself after work, she feels very tired & lonely....so, I got her a puppy! ..... Dog breeder as a business, anyone?
I saw an article about shelters being emptied as folks are using this as a great time to adopt dogs.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I think I saw an article about divorces going up in Japan due to couples having to live in closer proximity than normal.

Online counselling?

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness

AmazingLarry

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Jul 4, 2019
Do you guys think there will be a long lasting push to bring manufacturing back to the US? It seems like there might be some coming legislation to encourage this and people are definitely realizing that being dependent on foreign manufacturing is not good, but will this be strong enough to counteract the cheap prices overseas?

I'm involved with manufacturing/engineering and I've been trying to figure out how I can help businesses with this. I'm thinking consulting and logistical assistance and planning that help companies through all the stages of moving their manufacturing. Any thoughts?

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
I've thought about this too. Maybe a spray/wipe on anti viral/bacterial compound that could be applied to handles, railings, buttons, etc.

Copper and silver naturally have anti viral/bacterial properties.

Of course I would only sell the product. Not going to go around wiping 1,000s of touchpoints for customers lol

Interesting find:
Welcome to the Hyatt, Mr. Pizza, I'll be your handle wiper for tonight. Can I interest you in the 2nd door from the right to begin?

LightningHelix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Mar 26, 2015
@Kak since everyone is working from home – maybe some type of cloud-based computing system that allows you to access your work computer from anywhere? Jeez, somebody really should invent that!!

mr4ffe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Nov 3, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
Folks, I want to give you another idea. We need to reinvent the desk chairs for remote workers such as developers. Those ergonomic chairs are expensive and not very comfortable. I was thinking about an comfortable armchair with some sort of computer table attached to it. In this way you can stay in a comfortable position between a bed and a sofa and still focused on your work. I am a remote tech manager, I have a ergonomic chair but I feel most focused and productive when laying on the couch with my Mac on the legs. Think about it..
View: https://youtu.be/Hwkbj26BQxM

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016
Online tutors for kids in the United States since schools are shut down?

I feel like the home-services business aren’t going anywhere. I’m taking a Udemy digital marketing course, maybe I can market that skill towards blue collar businesses? Plumbers, electricians, etc.

What’s the best way to make an app? Can I just take a Udemy course on app development you think? The other day I had to go to 4 different grocery stores to find eggs... never found them. An app that shows what grocery stores are out of out, their estimated wait times, etc.

An app that shows hospital urgent care wait times.

I don’t know. I get so distracted and caught up in thinking of ideas that I end up action-faking... or not doing anything at all. I should probably just finish this digital marketing course and go from there.

I get ahead of myself trying to figure out a way to help people sooner rather later but I don’t really have any skills. Go figure! An economics degree and 2 years working at a clothing store and I feel absolutely useless.
There are tools to make apps without knowing any programming, just google it.

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016
Of course you have skills.

You passed some exams. Could you help anyone else pass exams?

You’ve got a job. Could you help anyone else get a job?

You have a job selling in a store. Could you help others do the same, or sell in general?
the points of view on this forum really help me thinking out of the box, thanks andy!

zblundell

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 2, 2019
As more people and companies are discovering that working from home might actually be a good thing for themselves/their business, maybe there's opportunity for a "working from home tech consultant".

This consultant would take care of the following things:

- Getting all necessary computers and tech in place so a person can start working for a company from home in rapid fashion (less than a day or something like that). They would select the computer, mouse, webcam, etc. and set it up for the home worker so the company doesn't even have to think about it.
- Setting up all necessary software (zoom etc.) so the home worker is ready to go as soon as possible
- Getting a person actually connected to their company's specific network through home (lots of small businesses don't necessarily have a dedicated I.T. person, it's just "the young guy on staff who knows a lot about computers" [been in this position many times]).
- Also takes care of chairs, desks, general ergonomics, etc.
In the medical field, providers are now attempting to use TeleHealth to see patients online via telephone and whatever face-to-face software the provider wants to use. The one big drawback is that it has to be HIPPA compliant software so maybe starting a business that helps set up doctor's offices/clinics/homes and any other providers (Physician's Assistant or Nurse Practitioner) to insure they are ready to go in a timely fashion and are HIPPA compliant as well.

zblundell

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 2, 2019
I generally assume that either cost or the "not good with technology" aspect are what stop older people from taking advantage of the grocery-delivery services that exist. You say "a service like Uber", but that's still an app. Would you envision customers ordering services via phone call, then, to make it more accessible?
The trouble with trying to target under-served demographics often seems to be that those demographics don't have money, or at least not enough to support the proposed business/service. Do you think enough older people would be willing to pay for delivery or personal assistance service when a pandemic is not happening (would vary by area, of course).
How about a butler or room service app? You type in the app what you need and how soon and someone brings you the item. Can pay through the app.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
My cousins wife works for a company that sells gift baskets with local goods. Their orders have doubled at the moment.

So, gift baskets, care packages.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.