The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Business Ideas for the (emerging) stay-at-home Economy?

SD Entrepreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 12, 2019
San Diego, CA
I've been noticing myself, as well as friends/family, are really unprepared for natural disasters, pandemics, emergencies, etc. This most recent pandemic is really opening everyone's eyes about the possibility and reality of disasters taking place.

Besides health pandemics, wildfires, earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc. are prevalent which all require plans and preparedness.

With that said, I believe people will be more open to becoming readily prepared in the near future. Although there is tons of info online, I believe most people need someone to hold their hand to help get their household prepared.

A FEW POTENTIAL BUSINESS IDEAS:
  1. Online Emergency Preparedness Courses & Trainings- For a one time fee, go online to an interactive preparedness course(s) that is built specifically for your geographic area and potential disasters.

2. Local Emergency Preparedness In Home Trainings- Provide households in home trainings (ex. 2 hour training) that will help them answer questions and be prepared for the next disaster (conducted by a "certified" preparedness trainer- after stay at home orders are lifted). The training would provide check lists, action plans, specific directions...
QUESTIONS:
  • Would you personally pay for either of the above services to prepare your family/household?
    • If so, which do you think would be a better fit (online or in home)?
    • If not, are you already prepared or is there another reason you would not be interested?

• Would you be more interested in courses/trainings to get you prepared or more emergency kits/supplies/boxes?
Would appreciate any feedback/thoughts, this could be something I consider executing but wanted to hear what others think around this topic...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Yelp! Collects Economic Data?!

I've been scouring the forum and the web for hours trying to find updated economic data/trends for LOCAL SERVICE BUSINESSES.

The majority of data in the both the forum and the rest of the web is pretty much all for retail products, e-commerce, and pretty much everything OTHER than local service businesses.

I also included some other interesting articles I found on how C0VlD-19 is effecting service businesses

If anybody has any solid data on how service businesses that operate in local areas are doing... that would be beneficial.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Yelp! Collects Economic Data?!

I've been scouring the forum and the web for hours trying to find updated economic data/trends for LOCAL SERVICE BUSINESSES.

The majority of data in the both the forum and the rest of the web is pretty much all for retail products, e-commerce, and pretty much everything OTHER than local service businesses.

I also included some other interesting articles I found on how C0VlD-19 is effecting service businesses

If anybody has any solid data on how service businesses that operate in local areas are doing... that would be beneficial.
Hi @sonny_1080 ... Data/information/knowledge might help. Just remember the market pays for none of the above, or even activity. I’m saying this in case you’re getting distracted by trying to find numbers.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Huh?

So I go to the website of a large national hardware store to see if we can buy stuff to be delivered, and I'm to wait 43 minutes to access the website?

EDIT: So I'd somehow ended up on the UK website, which is annoying given I'm in Ireland.

The Irish website doesn't show products in store and I think they're not delivering either.

Here's the website for another brand that has 10-12 stores around the country. The "Products" page just lists categories. Nothing can be clicked?

Last edited:

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
I've been noticing myself, as well as friends/family, are really unprepared for natural disasters, pandemics, emergencies, etc. This most recent pandemic is really opening everyone's eyes about the possibility and reality of disasters taking place.

Besides health pandemics, wildfires, earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc. are prevalent which all require plans and preparedness.

With that said, I believe people will be more open to becoming readily prepared in the near future. Although there is tons of info online, I believe most people need someone to hold their hand to help get their household prepared.

A FEW POTENTIAL BUSINESS IDEAS:
  1. Online Emergency Preparedness Courses & Trainings- For a one time fee, go online to an interactive preparedness course(s) that is built specifically for your geographic area and potential disasters.

2. Local Emergency Preparedness In Home Trainings- Provide households in home trainings (ex. 2 hour training) that will help them answer questions and be prepared for the next disaster (conducted by a "certified" preparedness trainer- after stay at home orders are lifted). The training would provide check lists, action plans, specific directions...
QUESTIONS:
  • Would you personally pay for either of the above services to prepare your family/household?
    • If so, which do you think would be a better fit (online or in home)?
    • If not, are you already prepared or is there another reason you would not be interested?
  • Would you be more interested in courses/trainings to get you prepared or more emergency kits/supplies/boxes?
Would appreciate any feedback/thoughts, this could be something I consider executing but wanted to hear what others think around this topic...

Why would I pay for information that I can get online for free? I found this within seconds.

I don't want to come of as a naysayer, I just don't see the value.

SD Entrepreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 12, 2019
San Diego, CA
Why would I pay for information that I can get online for free? I found this within seconds.

I don't want to come of as a naysayer, I just don't see the value.
Why do people pay for courses online when that info is readily available for free by searching? Why do people get music lessons in person from teachers when they can watch YouTube tutorials for free?

The fact is most people need their hand held and a kick in the a$$ to get their household prepared for emergency situations. At least that is my thought here...

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I know a market need is really important for an easier building experience, but we need to throw ourselves into something we are deeply and intrinsically passionate about. All of us know that the beginning grind will break even the most sturdy of minds, if that self propelling burn isn't going. So if nips up T shirts get your gears going, or building high density chicken coops for egg distribution, then its a good idea. But if we do things purely for the $, it will fizzle and die out in no time.

I know I see this all the time but it's not always true. I was in the cleaning business for 20 years basically and not for 1 second did I like it or care about it. I stayed so long because of the money I made from it. The only reason I worked in it almost every day is because I'm a pervert and liked seeing the girls. If not for the 'girls', I'd have probably never been seen. As for any passion for cleaning.... nope. The real main reasons I sold them was because I became less of a pervert and had enough money. I don't have a passion for washers and dryers but I just can't help myself when it comes to making money. The only reason I like this business is because I basically work alone so it keeps me busy (last night I worked from 10pm-4am).... I could care less about washers and dryers. There is something that I have a passion for and I'm starting it but for some reason, unlike all the businesses I've not had a passion for, I'm starting it real slow. I have everything ready but for some reason I'm waiting on that feeling that says, "GO!". When I do start it, I will be all in no matter if it makes me a dime. But passion is not needed for a money-making business..... I'm living proof. Actually, my sister is living proof as well.

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Hi @sonny_1080 ... Data/information/knowledge might help. Just remember the market pays for none of the above, or even activity. I’m saying this in case you’re getting distracted by trying to find numbers.
Thank you for the reminder Andy.

Something happened last night where I started researching trends for service businesses because I couldn’t find much very easily. I guess I got distracted. I think you think you call it a rabbit hole.

Unfortunately, I thought about how awesome it would be to have make a courier/subscription/software service that could help people get fruit and produce delivered to their door.
Im sure it already exists but I probably could skew value somehow.

Then I realized how Much this idea was distracting me from getting some local service providers to let me manage their google ads campaigns for them.

Im trying to focus back on my original idea, but the gnawing of doing research for the farm-to-door thing is real. Im trying to remember what MJ said in Unscripted about the 7 P’s of Process and not changing ideas until after a feedback loop

I’m still fighting my brain to stop thinking about it. It’s telling me all kinds of reasons I should go with the new idea.

At what point do I know for certain that I should pivot directions?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thank you for the reminder Andy.

Something happened last night where I started researching trends for service businesses because I couldn’t find much very easily. I guess I got distracted. I think you think you call it a rabbit hole.

Unfortunately, I thought about how awesome it would be to have make a courier/subscription/software service that could help people get fruit and produce delivered to their door.
Im sure it already exists but I probably could skew value somehow.

Then I realized how Much this idea was distracting me from getting some local service providers to let me manage their google ads campaigns for them.

Im trying to focus back on my original idea, but the gnawing of doing research for the farm-to-door thing is real. Im trying to remember what MJ said in Unscripted about the 7 P’s of Process and not changing ideas until after a feedback loop

I’m still fighting my brain to stop thinking about it. It’s telling me all kinds of reasons I should go with the new idea.

At what point do I know for certain that I should pivot directions?
Can you do both? Help a local grocery store get more orders to deliver?

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
I like the idea of farm-to-table because every time I go to the grocery store to by fruit and veggies, I can't help but think about all the people that touch and breathe on the fruit that I'm buying.

Farm -> table minimizes that. Not to mention, the last thing I want to is go to the damn grocery store... but I love fruit. I'm sure other people feel the same.

This is my new thought process hahaha "what would Andy do? How would Andy think about this?"

Help local farms deliver more fruits and veggies to people's doorsteps. Hmmm...:bulb:

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Completely stalled at the moment. Any non-essential biz that gets caught running in my area gets hit with a hefty fine. If you're willing to risk it, you can make a ton of money because there's literally zero competition right now. At this phase in my life I have too much to lose so it's not worth risking.

House/commercial cleaning is more essential than lots of other things. My friend cleans businesses and they are still open. I saw a Molly Maids car today with 2 girls in it. If I still owned a cleaning business I would allow those that want to work to work and those that don't could come back when ever they wanted to.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Selling space blankets to the guys over in the COVID thread

source.gif

SethLBender

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 3, 2018
Anaheim CA
I was thinking of maybe starting a business in cleaning offices and maybe home and just wondering roughly what the cost of starting one could be with purchase of vehicle if needed?

Angelic

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Apr 19, 2016
I saw a nice truck today with a logo and business lines on it doing food delivery. It would be so helpful right now. I'm not talking about grubhub or doordash, by the time they bring you you're food an hour later it's cold. I'm talking about a local business that will have it delivered in 15 minutes and it comes hot. $5-10 per delivery of your favorite restaurants/smoothie places/ice cream parlors that don't do delivery. I believe this can be scaled to where this is almost completely passive. It looks like it can be a new area of a similar market.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
So who's actually been able to make money in new ways since the beginning of this? I posted this thread a little bit back and there are a bunch of ideas.... has anyone tried any new ideas?

My main business hasn't really changed much.

I've had more time to try a few new ventures... but what have you guys been up to?

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
So who's actually been able to make money in new ways since the beginning of this? I posted this thread a little bit back and there are a bunch of ideas.... has anyone tried any new ideas?

I've had more time to try a few new ventures... but what have you guys been up to?
Going to be launching a semi COVID related ecommerce biz soon.

It's a "cause driven" business. I give a portion of profit or supplies away as charity.

I'll post up if it gains some traction.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

I think a lot of people are looking to reskill and I’m getting a bit of interest in my Google Ads course. There seems to be more reluctance to pay a one time payment of $300 or $400 for lifetime access (although there’s always been a few asking if I have a payment plan). So I created a membership priced at $150 every 3 months and someone signed up yesterday.

Working on other stuff but I’ll update only when they’ve made a sale. Anything else is just talk.

“Tell me what you’ve done and I’ll tell you who you are.”

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia

I made more money in my original business originally as it just so happened to have benefited from covid. Good old control commandment gave me a bite in the a$$, and one simple change of terms cut my profits by more than half.

The commandment of control is no joke.

I have worked on a couple of other things but not gotten any traction.

Currently working on my next thing.

robotunicr0n

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jan 16, 2013
Love these ideas, and I'm curious now that we're a bit further along into the year, how has it worked out for you? Have you made any nice profits in the new corona world?

Here's my input on ideas that are valid going on now and into the future.. we'll be seeing a lot of desire for companies to create virtual experiences to replace physical experiences that they once had, like visiting a store, seeing houses/apartments, etc. Creating these virtual experiences is pretty expensive so it's not viable to operate the camera, but a business that manages the cameramen is a great idea. I've been using this camera called a Matterport to help out a retail company get virtual shopping experiences going, and they're in heavy use especially since that retailer can't do much in sales in their stores.

These cameras are built specifically to capture apartments and homes for a "google street view" style tour of the place. You may have viewed a property with this sort of scan. But something I discovered that is not well known and I want to share with you is that the camera works great outside if you block direct sunlight to the lens. I used trees to shade wherever the sun was. Not many people know about this.. and while many are getting outside during this pandemic, virtual experiences are going to explode. Hikes, water rafting routes, climbing walls.

Consider as well Augmented Reality, that is another tech that is blowing up this year. There are various AR devices available to the general public, developing new apps for them is possibly a viable market. Apps have always been great, if you know how to code, and even if you don't there are a handful of options that let you create apps without writing a single line of code. They are a bit inferior but they certainly get the job done and the paycheck delivered.

Ideas for cheap AR experiences you could get an upwork coder to do:
* Climbing Route wayfinding
* Furniture arrangement/interior decoration
* AR racing/racetrack builder (this has been proof of concepted out there already)
* Trying clothes on before buying them
* Trying haircuts on before going for a cut
* and many more...

What are some of your ideas?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content