The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

EXECUTION Building a brand.

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

woken

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Millionaire Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
I gave some thought to the above and decided to pursue it.

So far via Fb Ads I’ve been going directly for the sale, with mediocre results.

I will continue to use fb ads to get emails and do most of the marketing via email.

The new strategy, as opposed to the “direct to the sale” will be
get email -> deliver value, value, value and then ASK.

It’s more common for services or something you’d see on higher priced items or courses, but I am willing to give it a try.

I will implement, test and come back with the results.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

woken

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Great day so far !

The treadmill arrived, got 30 mins of walking/running. Burnt 200 calories. Might be laughable if you're running daily, but for me it's a start. Burning around 400 calories in 35 mins is the goal.

I finished a 10 page guide that I'm using as a lead magnet.
I went up a notch with the email marketing. Implemented a lot of variants and conditional splits with conversion as the end goal.
Not spammy, but persistent.

FB Ad is up, optimized for leads on the website. On the page itself there's just a photo and email form sign up + 3-4 lines of text.

I did not want to go full 'guru get my course' mode with those 30 minute scroll pages. Maybe they work? That's why everybody's doing them?

After I get some conversion I'll see at what point people drop and fix that.

So far, It's been an amazing day. I've lived a perfect day. Exactly like I've always imagined myself living.

Let's see if this strategy converts better / is cheaper !

woken

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
So far, at the current rate I need a 6% conversion rate to break even :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Man I don’t know! I’ve got some content coming in I am putting together a video ad, maybe it works better.

woken

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Small update :

Passed £2k/ month, although everything goes a bit slower.

It doesn’t feel consistent.

Fb ads are hit or miss.

I still have no source of traffic outside of paid advertising, which sucks.

I don’t want to do anything spammy.

Posting my products in fb groups is spam.

My etsy traffic also dies a little bit everyday.

So I have major problems :

• No free traffic
  • Influencer marketing that I’ve done is worthless
  • Email Marketing worthless as well.

I don’t want to be the guy that spends 999k to make a million, so I have to change the strategy, although I must admit I’m a bit lost at the moment.

MitchC

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Mar 8, 2014
Conversion rate can definitely hit 6% if you know what you are doing.

It might be easier to increase your aov, maybe offer a deal for buying 2 until you have more products.

influencers should not be used to generate sales, instead use them to generate content and use that content as ad creatives.

combine a better conversion rate, a higher aov and better ad creatives and you’ll be on your way. Stay away from shiny objects until then.

woken

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Small update.
Everything is going good and I’m still at Facebook’s hand, only spending a maximum of £36/day. I’d be way ahead of where I am, but yeah..

Waiting on two more products that I designed that are in the making since May.

Not getting discouraged, but I feel like I could map out a plan for any other business apart from mine and my niche.

It always looks easier from outside.

Definitely a lot of shiny objects syndrome ruling my days, weeks and months. Not actually pursuing anything else. But since my actual orders are pretty much the same day, I pack them, ship them out and that’s that. Not really working on the business itself and ways to grow since the only way of bringing sales( that I can navigate )only lets me spend £36/day.

The “infatuation” period is over. Scroll above and see how I was excited to pack each and every order. Well, that feels like a chore now because of the routine.

Again, every other business I look at I can map out a progress plan for. When it comes to mine, I’m like a 4 year old trying to write a book on quantum physics.

As mentioned in earlier posts, a lack of guidance is what I miss. Even though it seems silly and straightforward( spend more on ads, make more sales) I reached a mental block.

I appreciate any replies !

Last edited:

JustPawel

Contributor
Jul 11, 2017
Poland
What's the progress woken? I've just finished reading your updates and I am pretty curious if you managed to push forward mentally and in business.

woken

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
What's the progress woken? I've just finished reading your updates and I am pretty curious if you managed to push forward mentally and in business.
Done £3k last month, looking forward for the same or better.

I’m currently 1 month in my 2 month holiday and only focusing on designing new products/ talking to my manufacturer.

Since I’m away from the UK, I arranged for somebody to pack & ship the orders.

Funny enough, I stopped posting that often on Instagram but I get more sales. :wideyed:

My main focus now is getting ready the new products.

I know it’s counterintuitive taking a holiday a few months in after starting a business, but I’m not trying to change the world.

Since I’m on holiday, my shiny objects syndrome is all over the place. Ideas flowing everyday. I do keep track of them.

I’m starting to believe this might be a blessing in disguise and will eventually cure itself once I have something running at the level I want. Since I can’t stop thinking about pursuing new ideas, although bad, I’m devising a plan on how to act on them fast without affecting my day to day business activities. I can afford that because this current business doesn’t take too much of my time.

The less it takes to launch a new business, the better.

I might not end up with a single
business doing £10k/ month, but I can definitely take 10 businesses to £1k/ month.

We’ll see. I will post again from time to time once I have my plan.

JustPawel

Contributor
Jul 11, 2017
Poland
Happy to hear that you're doing progress and didn't give up. Things need time, today it's 3k, but in a few months, it might be 20k. I feel like patience is often crucial and needs to go hand in hand with actions.

Good luck!

JustPawel

Contributor
Jul 11, 2017
Poland
Hey woken, how is the business going? I've seen your comment on my thread, but I haven't seen you here for a while. :)

woken

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
I might not end up with a single
business doing £10k/ month, but I can definitely take 10 businesses to £1k/ month.
I realized this is not the best strategy for me and switching up again..
Hey woken, how is the business going? I've seen your comment on my thread, but I haven't seen you here for a while. :)
Thanks for coming back to this.
I will am writing a detailed update in the next post.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

woken

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Health wise,

Things have been great while on my two month holiday in Italy. While that might paint a sophisticated picture, I stayed for my duration there with my future in laws, so don't imagine some high baller lifestyle.

I've always been a lone wolf since childhood. I enjoy the company of others, yet I'm very comfortable on my own too. Since I moved to London 7 years ago, I felt caged. I kept comparing my life as a teenager with what I believed was being an adult( 18 years old).

I was reminded of my 'freedom years' during my two month holiday in Italy. Life is great, I did not have to worry about one single thing and income was coming without me doing anything.

As my holiday days were almost gone, things started falling apart.

My manufacturer screwed up big time my products, costing me thousands in the process and more importantly, a lot of time. Not a lot to elaborate on here, just that I ran out of products and bills began pouring in. I started feeling more stressed and stressed.

Coming back to London, I never managed to take the business further than £3k a month. I could have, but facebook restricted my budget to £36/ day since the beginning and then suspended the ad account completely.

With stress pilling up from all directions, I decided I need to have the covid vaccine. I'm not for or against vaccines, so please, don't make my thread about that.

I did not book it but only decided a week earlier that "I'm going there on Monday."
Every single day leading up to the vaccine I was reading everything bad there was about it. Come Sunday night, I was as stressed as one could be, couldn't sleep all night thinking about having heart complications from the vaccine. One could argue it was peer pressure, but in the end it was my decision.

Something in my gut was not right. Shaking and crying, I told my girlfriend I couldn't bring myself to go and that I haven't slept all night. She was reassuring, kept telling me everything was going to be alright, stop thinking about it and leave it for now.

On Monday I had what I thought was a heart attack. My heart began racing, I wanted to run far away from the impeding doom I was feeling. I did not call an ambulance but packed my bags and moved in with my girlfriend with my mom.

Went to a private doctor, had an EKG that told us there was nothing wrong with the heart but she gave me heart beating regulating pills and 2 xanax / day. Since I couldn't take the vaccine, I could not bring myself to take the beta blockers or xanax. I knew something was wrong, not with my heart, yet she gave me heart pills and xanax.

Being so paranoid lately, I wanted a second opinion. I waited 6 hours in the emergency room at my local hospital, just to be told there's nothing wrong with me or my heart. Still, the doubt and palpitations were telling me that something is causing them and at this point, stress should've subsided.

Booked another consultation with my GP, which reassured me my heart is fine, got some blood and stool tests. Turns out I had a panic attack , not a heart attack.

I was diagnosed as prediabetic with a A1C of 6.0%. (Canada, US and UK all have different ranges). Normal range is under 6.0%, 6.5% and above is considered diabetic.
Also, I tested positive for helicobacter pylori, a bacteria that causes bloating, stress, palpitations, high sugar in blood, anxiety, loss of appetite and weight loss.

I went from 104kg in September to 88kg on November 22(today). Lost a total of 16 kgs/35lbs because of this bacteria and stress.

I am taking some antibiotics which should treat it and cut my carbs to under 100g a day in order to lower my A1C. I do believe it is this high because of the bacteria and stress, as I'm not eating lots of sugar anyway.
I plan on retaking the test to verify the eradication of the bacteria and later redo my A1C.

Mentally I am much better, yet sometimes I feel afraid to be alone. I am optimistic things will get better both mentally and physically.

Business wise,

As mentioned above, my manufacturer screwed up big time my products. Not being able to recoup losses, facebook closing down my ad account and everything else happening for me, I closed down my website.

I ended up switching from highly optimized, branded website to Etsy. I also switched from custom made products to generic ones.

Revenue dropped to £0 as I was basically starting out from scratch again and two months later I am here :

revenue.jpg

While it still makes me money, there's no brand anymore and no point in scaling. At any point Etsy could decide to close it down.

Yet, there's lots of light and optimism as I'm planning to launch a crowdfunding campaign for my old yet new clothing brand.

I don't care about copy cats yet won't share the product until I have my pre launching campaign ready.
This will be the only execution I am fully dedicating myself to and putting my name out there behind it.
Also, this will be my last attempt of building a productocracy .

Most probably I will have a MVP by early January. MVP for a clothing brand ? I know, it sounds weird, but stay tuned to find out why :).

Health is wealth.

Last edited:

Frost

New Contributor
Sep 23, 2021
What a crazy story! Take care of yourself man!

I know I'm a bit late to the party, and reading about your troubles with FB ads reminded me a lot about stories I heard from other people as well.
I'm going to start with Pinterest ads soon. While they don't have the same reach as FB, it seems to be much easier working with them. You can actually make appeals and have a human being to talk to about the issue and your account

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE  NEW: The Best School for Going Fastlane (50% Off Deal Now On)
Hi Rob, I've sent you a PM as I’m trying to join since midweek. Cheers
MARKETPLACE  Freelance University: Solve Every Freelance Problem (Especially on Upwork)
FU. 4 DAYS. 50% OFF BLACK FRIDAY SALE! If you're an Upwork freelancer, you'd be a fool not to...
MARKETPLACE  You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
One year ago, I was just your average software developer who always consumed content about...
MARKETPLACE  For Sale: Food Brand with 4 Years of Happy Customers in a Fast-Growing Niche
So to get certified, it cost a fortune? How much exactly? That sucks that these "health...
MARKETPLACE  Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Fox's Web School helps you learn a specialized skill which you can use to get to Fastlane. It's...
MARKETPLACE  Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom