The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best phone for call quality?

G

GuestUser450

Maybe just me but it seems like new smartphones are super-fast, beautiful battery-draining cameras with average call quality. My current phone has had mic issues since I got it and it's beyond frustrating since 99% of my calls are business.

Especially if you're in sales, what's your setup for taking calls? Google voice forwarding? Headsets? Do I have to go back to a blackberry?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bach89

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Dec 24, 2016
High quality headsets are always good to have, though one of the most common problems in call quality is poor network/location rather than the phone itself.

G

GuestUser450

one of the most common problems in call quality is poor network/location rather than the phone itself.
True, but it's been a couple of years with multiple devices and services since I've had reliable quality and I'm not out in the desert trying to make calls either. Any recommendations re: headsets?

policebaton

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Apr 3, 2017
florida
I use a pair of JVC headphones from wal mart that have a memory foam to go inside of your ear and block anything else out, and then a little microphone by your collarbone. I get great quality with them, they were like 20$ from wal mart I believe.

It sucks if you can't hear someone very well, definitely hurts the sale especially if they're foreign or there's a lot happening at your office and you need to focus. Plus it frees up your hands to type and take detailed notes while they are speaking.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Funny you ask this. I have an iPhone 5S and switched to a Samsung S7 last week. I thought the sound quality sucked and gave the phone to my wife and went back to my 5S. (I'll get her upgrade in 6 months time.) I use a handsfree kit most of the time when I'm talking on the phone.

When I'm on Skype on my PC I use a wireless mic. The sound quality isn't great (listen to any of my recorded calls with forum members), but it's certainly been good enough over the years to convert prospects into clients.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm on my second iphone 7 with mic issues that mutes me but doesn't drop the call - maybe I should find a 5 or 6.

Yep, when I'm at the home, I use a blue yeti on skype and it's my favorite way to hold meetings so far.
Sigh... I have a Blue Yeti, and it was awesome when it was working. Then Windows upgraded itself to 10 and it no longer recognises the Blue Yeti.
I must admit though, a wireless mic is awesome as I can walk around when I talk, or go sit on the couch.

Good heads-up about the iPhone 7. WTF is the point of a phone if you can't make decent sounding phone calls on it?

G

GuestUser450

WTF is the point of a phone if you can't make decent sounding phone calls on it?

The market has clearly spoken and said that it doesn't do sales or like to talk to people. Truth be told, I text my friends and family-only personal call I make is to my mom on Sundays.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
with average call quality.

This has been blowing me away recently.

As someone who actually uses his phone as a phone, I'm dumbfounded that we had better call quality out of wireless phones 15 years ago.

Don't get me wrong, I love having all the other bells and whistles but come on. It's a phone. It should do that ONE thing perfectly regardless of anything else...

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I just got a new pair of headphones in the mail from Amazon on Friday, $31 (BLUETTEK). The last headphones I had just like these were used for about 2+ years and the only problem was that I was a little rough taking them off and it finally pulled the ear piece off. Other than that, the sound quality is perfect. I have an iphone 6s and never a problem. We use ATT because the little woman travels all around the world and has never had a problem with reception in any country for 15+ years with ATT. In my other business we did calls and texts. Texts for daily reminders. Since I am now retired and doing this 'new' business for 'fun', I only take texts. Finally I don't have to deal with trash calls throughout the day.

G

GuestUser450

Sigh... I have a Blue Yeti, and it was awesome when it was working. Then Windows upgraded itself to 10 and it no longer recognises the Blue Yeti.
Mine had issues too, here's the fix:
For some reason, Windows started to see and label it "USB Advanced Audio Device"
With the mic plugged in...
Right click the speaker icon in toolbar -> Recording Devices -> It should be at the bottom of the list -> Right click it -> Properties -> Change the name -> Set as default

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I've an iPhone 7 (the brick sized one) and not had any issues. Clear as a bell. The only time I've had a 'mute' problem is when taking a call while my USB speaker has been attached and it swapped the call to that half way through a conversation. The same thing used to happen with my 5S

Regarding headsets I bought a Plantronics wireless set years ago for the office landline and that was a revelation. Expensive but worth it. For mobile Jabra make very good kit for reasonable money.

The trouble with voice calls over mobile is you can have a phone with the best speaker and mic in the world but if the person you are speaking to has something way below optimal or is in the depths of a building with a poor signal, then the call quality will still be a bag of nails. Takes two to tango after all.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Update on the $31 headphones. I loved my original headphones (same brand) but I have had compliments that I sound even better on these new ones. I'm the 2 earphone over the head type of guy.... that thing stuck in my ear does not excite me. And the battery in these things seem to last forever. I only text for business but my family & friends call all the time and rarely do I ever charge them.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.