The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best course of action considering current circumstances?

DrScream

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Oct 4, 2019
I wanted to get your feedback on what a good course of action would be in light of current events.

My job is currently forcing us to work because we deal with public transportation and fall under "essential personnell," meaning if we decide to call in sick or decide not to come in because of the coronavirus we will be terminated. They're also going to be cutting our pay drastically (around $5-8 dollars less per hour) to "save the company."

I have about $5000 saved up and my monthly expenses are less than $500 (not including rent which if I did leave then it would be zero for rent because I'd be staying at families).

I was planning on quitting and starting some service job of sorts (especially now where I the pandemic has opened the doors to service businesses like delivery, setups, etc...) but I don't really have a gameplan to do so and wanted to ask what you guys think and how you would go about coordinating this. I don't want to quit right away but I'm really worried considering how many people I come in contact with daily and the risk that this puts me in for getting infected. I am not willing to get infected just to save a company that treats me like another number and who is now cutting my pay.

I work for a well known railroad for passenger travel for those that are curious and the company (at least where I'm located) is extremely toxic. I also can't work from home as I handle the bags and assisting customers on site unfortunately.

I currently make about $25 per hour but it is a union job so this brings pay down to around $18 per hour after all of the taxes and union fees are included.

Any and all critiques and feedback welcome!

edit: I'd also like to mention that I've been at this company 5 years while bouncing around and I don't really have a resume for any other technical skills. I'm only 24 so I'm not too worried about it as I believe my next venture will be towards working for my own brand/corporation.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Start a home services biz man.

While everybody is at home, they're more in tune with how their house looks. They're using this time to fix things up and take care of household duties they've been putting off.

Trust me, I'm currently doing it.

My biz hasn't slowed down a single second this this "pandemic."

DrScream

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Oct 4, 2019
Start a home services biz man.

While everybody is at home, they're more in tune with how their house looks. They're using this time to fix things up and take care of household duties they've been putting off.

Trust me, I'm currently doing it.

My biz hasn't slowed down a single second this this "pandemic."
Thanks man! I'm going to follow you on YouTube!

LightningHelix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Mar 26, 2015
I wanted to get your feedback on what a good course of action would be in light of current events.

My job is currently forcing us to work because we deal with public transportation and fall under "essential personnell," meaning if we decide to call in sick or decide not to come in because of the coronavirus we will be terminated. They're also going to be cutting our pay drastically (around $5-8 dollars less per hour) to "save the company."

I have about $5000 saved up and my monthly expenses are less than $500 (not including rent which if I did leave then it would be zero for rent because I'd be staying at families).

I was planning on quitting and starting some service job of sorts (especially now where I the pandemic has opened the doors to service businesses like delivery, setups, etc...) but I don't really have a gameplan to do so and wanted to ask what you guys think and how you would go about coordinating this. I don't want to quit right away but I'm really worried considering how many people I come in contact with daily and the risk that this puts me in for getting infected. I am not willing to get infected just to save a company that treats me like another number and who is now cutting my pay.

I work for a well known railroad for passenger travel for those that are curious and the company (at least where I'm located) is extremely toxic. I also can't work from home as I handle the bags and assisting customers on site unfortunately.

I currently make about $25 per hour but it is a union job so this brings pay down to around $18 per hour after all of the taxes and union fees are included.

Any and all critiques and feedback welcome!

edit: I'd also like to mention that I've been at this company 5 years while bouncing around and I don't really have a resume for any other technical skills. I'm only 24 so I'm not too worried about it as I believe my next venture will be towards working for my own brand/corporation.

What good is a union if you have to take a pay cut? Sounds like thievery to me.

You already sound like you hate the job and that is no way to live. This is probably the perfect opportunity to get out of a bad situation. I don't know the full scope of your responsibilities, so its hard to confidently give you advice, so knowing that take what i say with a grain of salt.

I do suggest to leave, however, don't leave without having a better idea where you are going. "starting some service job of sorts." sounds like you still have some stuff to figure out. Lining up, what that is exactly before leaving will allow you to start putting things into action immediately once you detach from the paycheck.

You must minimize your expenses first of all, ditch literally anything you don't need, especially reoccuring costs. Get them to as close to zero as you can. Stay with your family, I don't know what your relationship is with them, but hopefully they can understand your situation.

My theory is life is too short to do something you hate.

DrScream

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Oct 4, 2019
What good is a union if you have to take a pay cut? Sounds like thievery to me.

You already sound like you hate the job and that is no way to live. This is probably the perfect opportunity to get out of a bad situation. I don't know the full scope of your responsibilities, so its hard to confidently give you advice, so knowing that take what i say with a grain of salt.

I do suggest to leave, however, don't leave without having a better idea where you are going. "starting some service job of sorts." sounds like you still have some stuff to figure out. Lining up, what that is exactly before leaving will allow you to start putting things into action immediately once you detach from the paycheck.

You must minimize your expenses first of all, ditch literally anything you don't need, especially reoccuring costs. Get them to as close to zero as you can. Stay with your family, I don't know what your relationship is with them, but hopefully they can understand your situation.

My theory is life is too short to do something you hate.

I have zero responsibilities right now. No kids, no girlfriend and I live alone. I already talked to my mom about moving in with her so that I can get focused on my next move so that's taken care of. The union has been with management more than they have been with us as employees. I'm over all of that though. I have no hate for any of them as I know they're all just doing their job. The company is dead in a few years from my estimations so it's best to abandon ship now. I've got everything down to zero except for my audible subscription, gym, phone (I pay only $30 a month for it so it's perfect and I bought a cracked older Samsung phone for $50).

I'm going to take the leap and start some service business. I just took half a gram of shrooms and I'm going to go into hyperfocus and meditate on what I could do. I was thinking something along the lines of some sort of tech install or some clean up service that comes in and takes care of the house responsibilities kind of like what @GravyBoat is doing.

Again appreciate your input!

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Thanks man! I'm going to follow you on YouTube!

Go watch me if you want, copy my entire biz. I just want to see other people succeed. It's the boost you're looking for right now.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I'm going to take the leap and start some service business. I just took half a gram of shrooms and I'm going to go into hyperfocus and meditate on what I could do. I was thinking something along the lines of some sort of tech install or some clean up service that comes in and takes care of the house responsibilities kind of like what @GravyBoat is doing.

Again appreciate your input!

hahahahaha that was a good laugh

Health is the most important thing in your life, you have 10 months of living expenses saved up? You are doing good, take the leap! Now is the time. If worst case you are not growing a business within 7-8 months then you can admit failure and start handing out resumes.

Think about it this way to, when is the point you actually build a business? When you have $10k saved up? $20k?

MJ started with 900 bucks a shitty car after moving halfway across the country. You don't need a ton of cash to start something up, and you even HAVE a ton of cash saved up.

Take the leap and trust the process! Just make sure you are NOT chasing money. Good luck!

Val Okafor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Nov 14, 2015
San Diego, CA
I relate to your situation, and just like you, I wanted to quit yesterday. But I am concerned about the fact that "you don't have a game plan". You see, in 2015, I had just read the TMF book, I was at a job I hated, and the thing I hate most about working for someone else is that I have to ask for permission to take time off, I hate that until this day.

One day I was called to come to get my sick child from school, I hated that I have to go ask for permission so I left for good, I have been wanting to launch into entrepreneurship so I launched but just like you, "I don't have a game plan". So six month later I am back to the cubicle and I have been chained there until today. I am deliberately plotting my escape for good.

I have since learned that it does not have to be complicated, if it does not make common sense, it might not work. So I encourage you to have "a practical game plan" before you quit.

DrScream

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Oct 4, 2019
I relate to your situation, and just like you, I wanted to quit yesterday. But I am concerned about the fact that "you don't have a game plan". You see, in 2015, I had just read the TMF book, I was at a job I hated, and the thing I hate most about working for someone else is that I have to ask for permission to take time off, I hate that until this day.

One day I was called to come to get my sick child from school, I hated that I have to go ask for permission so I left for good, I have been wanting to launch into entrepreneurship so I launched but just like you, "I don't have a game plan". So six month later I am back to the cubicle and I have been chained there until today. I am deliberately plotting my escape for good.

I have since learned that it does not have to be complicated, if it does not make common sense, it might not work. So I encourage you to have "a practical game plan" before you quit.
So when I said "I don't have a game plan" I believe I may have been misspeaking because I do have one.

I'm at the peak of my mushroom trip right now so bare with me while I gather my thoughts as they're coming in at 500 miles per hour.

Phase 1 was to get my expenses down. DONE
Phase 2 was to save up money. DONE
Phase 3 is to quit my job and launch that service business through finding out the needs of the people around me and pursuing that so that they are satisfied and I get PAID. In Progress
Phase 4. Buy up real-estate for dirt cheap since we are now living in a recession. In Progress
Phase 5 Help others do the same once I've made it for myself because I'd want to be speaking from a place of actuality rather than hypothetically.

By phase 5 I'll have amassed enough wealth that I won't need to actually do anything other than work because I WANT to not because I NEED to. This is a very rough draft but I do have at least some semblance of a plan. Did you have this same sort of plan without finer detail or did you not even have this? Genuine question not putting you down at all.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

That really sucks, use it as motivation!

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
So when I said "I don't have a game plan" I believe I may have been misspeaking because I do have one.

I'm at the peak of my mushroom trip right now so bare with me while I gather my thoughts as they're coming in at 500 miles per hour.

Phase 1 was to get my expenses down. DONE
Phase 2 was to save up money. DONE
Phase 3 is to quit my job and launch that service business through finding out the needs of the people around me and pursuing that so that they are satisfied and I get PAID. In Progress
Phase 4. Buy up real-estate for dirt cheap since we are now living in a recession. In Progress
Phase 5 Help others do the same once I've made it for myself because I'd want to be speaking from a place of actuality rather than hypothetically.

By phase 5 I'll have amassed enough wealth that I won't need to actually do anything other than work because I WANT to not because I NEED to. This is a very rough draft but I do have at least some semblance of a plan. Did you have this same sort of plan without finer detail or did you not even have this? Genuine question not putting you down at all.

Delivery services I imagine are in high demand with all the corona crap

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City