The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I want to rent an office under odd circumstances, advice would be appreciated

NotAnotherUser11

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 23, 2019
Hey guys. I've heard a lot about this forum and cannot believe how active it is. I'm shocked I've just signed up now.

So I am in a very, very strange circumstance but at a crossroads where it's either give up on attempting what I want to accomplish or take a risk and branch out. Allow me to explain.

I used to do Youtube for fun and it took off. Not to the point where I was loaded, but where it was doing pretty damn well. As time passed my father got sick and all of those aspirations fell to the wayside. He struggled for 2 years with cancer and my channel fell apart. I stopped caring, uploading - and more importantly taking care of my father.

I'd record videos in his house but the worst case scenario happened. He eventually passed away and the house was sold (Not paid off) for the estate.

After this happened I was left a sizable amount of money. No, I'm not a millionaire but I have all put away in the stock market. I moved out of his home and agreed to rent a town house with 2 of my family members. It's great financially because the rent is cheap and the area is great. Instead of blowing the money I went and got a really, really lame job - but it's a job none the less. It's actually improved my confidence because I feel like I am contributing towards society and not just sitting around like I did in my stages of grief.

So eventually I had the spark to create content again and it hit me "This house is to small. My room is nearly non-existent, someone is always talking, moving, ect".

I cannot record / create things anymore. It's not as simple as saying "Tell your family to quiet down" because it is their house too. It's not practical. I used to film all day every day, now I cannot even collaborate because I only film when someone is out of the house!

My options are these - Find my own apartment relatively close by, but the area is so expensive that it's impossible to find rent even cheaper since I am splitting it. Or B. Rent a small office.

I would literally be starting from square one and I have the funds to do this. No I'm not rich - at that rate I'd buy my own damn house, but I would at least have enough that going broke would not be an issue if it failed.

Simply put - I'm happy I'm working but I cannot stand the thought of no way out in the future. It KILLS me when I come home from a long day just wanting to record only to find I can't because someone is shouting, on the phone, ect. My room is nearly an open space - sound dampening won't help. I am not joking, my room is literally a loft - it only has 3 walls LOL. There is an OPEN SPACE to reaches out to the rest of the house. Sounds just penetrates the room because it's not even a room!

The goal was to buy one extra pc with all of the gear needed (So I could include friends / live action things in my videos) and rent a small office in a location close to me.

Sorry for being so long winded but I just want to make something of myself and take a risk. I am fine with failing, I'm fine with falling on my face and not having anyone like my content - but I cannot accept sitting on my a$$ and complaining, harnessing resentment towards my family memebers. I crawl out of my skin watching other content creators upload daily knowing that I have to wait for tiny windows when my family members leave to run errands. It's not their fault but I really do harness anger for the situation, it's no ones fault but mine.

Like I said I know it's an odd situation but most of you here are cultured in taking risks. Let me know what you think, thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
I’m not sure I fully understand what you are recording so not sure these would work but a few cheaper options that came to find were:
1. Coworking space
2. Renting a storage unit

NotAnotherUser11

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 23, 2019
I’m not sure I fully understand what you are recording so not sure these would work but a few cheaper options that came to find were:
1. Coworking space
2. Renting a storage unit
Hey - I was doing gaming videos that were getting a lot of views. I had to schedule with people, collaborate, record with others, ect. I just cannot do that now.

It sounds a bit wild to consider YT as an entrepreneurial plan but creating these types of channels is just something I seem to have been good at - it's that now I don't have the opportunity.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
When you recorded w others, cant you use the old connections to start again?

Bud Fox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Dec 16, 2015
Your circumstances are not odd: Need a place to work, and where you live isnt the best place to do it. What am I missing?

Answer: Yes, rent space, a cubicle, a small office, whatever. They are cheap and everywhere nowadays. Check craigslist. Look into plug and play spaces like WeWork, Regus, Industrious...if you can record after normal business hours, email a few local attorneys and realtors - they all have plenty of space and good Wifi. I mean, what do you need? Your laptop, a headset, WiFi, and a quiet place? You’re lucky to know how to make money with just those few simple easy to find, cheap, and available commodities bro.

get off your a$$ make it happen, you know what you need to do and don’t need a forum to tell you.

NotAnotherUser11

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 23, 2019
Your circumstances are not odd: Need a place to work, and where you live isnt the best place to do it. What am I missing?

Answer: Yes, rent space, a cubicle, a small office, whatever. They are cheap and everywhere nowadays. Check craigslist. Look into plug and play spaces like WeWork, Regus, Industrious...if you can record after normal business hours, email a few local attorneys and realtors - they all have plenty of space and good Wifi. I mean, what do you need? Your laptop, a headset, WiFi, and a quiet place? You’re lucky to know how to make money with just those few simple easy to find, cheap, and available commodities bro.

get off your a$$ make it happen, you know what you need to do and don’t need a forum to tell you.

Okay, thank you. But to be clear - (Hopefully I am not being too sensitive) when you say get off your a$$ - I am not lazy, I do work it's just not at a good job. This is more of a - chasing your dream - type of thing, is all.

GigMistress

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Nov 19, 2019
A cornfield in the Midwest

I could be wrong, but I suspect the "odd" was supplied by that part of OP's brain that is whispering "YOUTUBE IS NOT A BUSINESS! GROW UP!" and expecting the "real entrepreneurs" to roll their eyes at him for wanting to invest good money in a place to create gamer videos.

But, OP (if I'm right):

1 - So what? We don't have to believe in your vision. If you have the money to take a shot and are willing to make the investment, great; and
2 - A fair number of people make a good living from YouTube. It usually is a pipe dream, when someone with no experience suddenly decides to start up a channel and hope strangers will flock to watch her style her hair or whatever. But, you've done this before. You have proof of concept (though a couple of years is a long time online and you'll obviously have to make adaptations).

Apologies if I read that wrong, but I seemed to be picking up a hint of you feeling a bit sheepish about your endeavor. That won't do. If you're going to do it, you have to commit psychologically as well as practically

Bud Fox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Dec 16, 2015
Okay, thank you. But to be clear - (Hopefully I am not being too sensitive) when you say get off your a$$ - I am not lazy, I do work it's just not at a good job. This is more of a - chasing your dream - type of thing, is all.

Yes, you are being too sensitive, just like you're being too sensitive about resenting the people you live with because they make humanly sounds and it's impeding on your ability to do what you want to do where you live. I mean no disrespect, and can actually sympathize with that frustration which you've outlined, BUT....

When you KNOW what the problem is, AND you KNOW the solution...AND both are relatively minor/small in the grand scheme of life and the opportunity that you KNOW you can capitalize on...and you've haven't taken action...well, ya, get off your a$$ ;)

Bud Fox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Dec 16, 2015
I could be wrong, but I suspect the "odd" was supplied by that part of OP's brain that is whispering "YOUTUBE IS NOT A BUSINESS! GROW UP!" and expecting the "real entrepreneurs" to roll their eyes at him for wanting to invest good money in a place to create gamer videos.

But, OP (if I'm right):

1 - So what? We don't have to believe in your vision. If you have the money to take a shot and are willing to make the investment, great; and
2 - A fair number of people make a good living from YouTube. It usually is a pipe dream, when someone with no experience suddenly decides to start up a channel and hope strangers will flock to watch her style her hair or whatever. But, you've done this before. You have proof of concept (though a couple of years is a long time online and you'll obviously have to make adaptations).

Apologies if I read that wrong, but I seemed to be picking up a hint of you feeling a bit sheepish about your endeavor. That won't do. If you're going to do it, you have to commit psychologically as well as practically

Nah, he knows YT is a viable biz, and I suspect he also knows he can kill it if he starts doing what he knows works...He's just looking for a lil attention and a swift kick in the butt, which this forum is made for, in my opinion...

I think he's gonna be just fine (prob better than fine tbh) as soon as he takes a little action.

GigMistress

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Nov 19, 2019
Nah, he knows YT is a viable biz, and I suspect he also knows he can kill it if he starts doing what he knows works...

This was what made me think (still kind of does) that he's not entirely confident in talking about it as his goal: "It sounds a bit wild to consider YT as an entrepreneurial plan"

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Library study rooms are free

NotAnotherUser11

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 23, 2019
When you recorded w others, cant you use the old connections to start again?
Yes, absolutely!
This was what made me think (still kind of does) that he's not entirely confident in talking about it as his goal: "It sounds a bit wild to consider YT as an entrepreneurial plan"
This is true. I've never known anyone to do something like this and most of my buddies have traditional jobs which are very reliable and provide a steady income. This, on the other hand - is the absolute antithesis of that, haha.

For what it's worth I'm not looking for someone to either talk me into it or out of it, just look for the unbiased outlook from experienced entrepreneurs.

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
You've got a lot going for you. I know you're not uber rich, but it sounds like you've got some money to fall back on. That means you have a bit of a cushion which can take the fear out of stepping up and getting on with it. You've also done it before. The YouTube game has changed a lot even in the last 18 months, but at the same time the fundamentals haven't so you've already got a step up on everyone else entering the scene as you know the tricks they don't.

All that doesn't take away from the voice in all of our heads questioning whether or not its a good idea. My advice if you're nervous about it then look at the co-working spaces that have been mentioned above. A lot will allow people to do a trial period (mostly paid but not lengthy contracts). Come up with a figure you're willing to lose on all this - I'm not saying you will, but it makes it easier if you can write off an amount in your head - and go for it.

You've got this thing ... as long as you really want it.

GigMistress

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Nov 19, 2019
Yes, absolutely!

This is true. I've never known anyone to do something like this and most of my buddies have traditional jobs which are very reliable and provide a steady income. This, on the other hand - is the absolute antithesis of that, haha.

For what it's worth I'm not looking for someone to either talk me into it or out of it, just look for the unbiased outlook from experienced entrepreneurs.

I didn't think you were. I was just surmising that this bit of disconnect was the reason you'd described your situation as "odd."

Blackadder

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Sep 17, 2013
The Ozark Mountains
I liked @1step 's ideas, a coworking space would be ideal, even a rented storage space could be set up nice if you do most of your shooting in the daytime. if you want to do them late night or after hours you may need to put soundproofing on the walls and block off the missing wall with something sound dampening.

NotAnotherUser11

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 23, 2019
So with all of the help in this thread - I finally scheduled an appointment to check out a private office (Cheap, like $400 a month) near by. The guy tells me it's full of start up people, some even with the same ideas as mine if you can believe it.

There's a beautiful location for $1,000 a month. The entire top floor of this little farm house turned into an office which looks great but it's unnecessary if I don't need the space / one if available for half of that.

Another thing to look out for is the new COPPA law. It's not new, but the implementation of it is. It goes into effect January first for youtube and I believe it would be reckless to go ahead with this plan before seeing how Youtube is effected. They're predicting a very bad outcome for most Youtube channels due to the pure binary options they've now given content creators. A. This video is for children (Loss of comments, end cards, personalized ads and 90% revenue) or B. This is for children which results in you being less advertiser friendly as well since... you're not for kids. Now I know the obvious option would be to select "Is not for children", but if the FTC finds your video unsuitable for kids - you can be subjected to a fine of $42,000. I'm not making this up, the entire YT community is going insane over it. I don't doubt they will make an example of creator just to put some fear into people.

If you're not familiar with it, I'd look into it. The FTC is a massive threat towards the future welfare of Youtube. I just hope it plays out well...

Last edited:

Lucky Lu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Nov 2, 2019
Newport Beach, California
Well that lands exactly under the commandment of control as stated by MJ. Have you read the books? If a change in YT could ruin your business then it is in violation of one of the basic commands for a fast lane one. Is there any way you can use other platforms? Monetize your videos in some other way?
Maybe the changes won´t affect you, if it does it would be a great hit for YT overall because many creators of quality content would look for new ventures or channels.
Good luck brother. Sorry about your dad. Keep strong!

NotAnotherUser11

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 23, 2019
Well that lands exactly under the commandment of control as stated by MJ. Have you read the books? If a change in YT could ruin your business then it is in violation of one of the basic commands for a fast lane one. Is there any way you can use other platforms? Monetize your videos in some other way?
Maybe the changes won´t affect you, if it does it would be a great hit for YT overall because many creators of quality content would look for new ventures or channels.
Good luck brother. Sorry about your dad. Keep strong!

Great point. Speaking of MJ's books, I've yet to buy unscripted . I think I'm going to get it today.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.