The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Arizona Entrepreneurs Having More Success Than Most

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Ok how about this.

I have houses in FL, NC and NY. None are rented, they sit empty until my family goes there for a week or so.

I get a house in CA but keep my main residence in FL. Wouldn't I then avoid all these 'horrible' taxes, llc fees, income tax, sales tax, car registration etc.

Business location of the products would remain in GA. The office for the company would be ah ahhh remain a UPS mail box in FL so no actual office.

I think there is more than one way to skin a cat and maybe some are not looking at it form different angles.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Ok how about this.

I have houses in FL, NC and NY. None are rented, they sit empty until my family goes there for a week or so.

I get a house in CA but keep my main residence in FL. Wouldn't I then avoid all these 'horrible' taxes, llc fees, income tax, sales tax, car registration etc.

Business location of the products would remain in GA. The office for the company would be ah ahhh remain a UPS mail box in FL so no actual office.

I think there is more than one way to skin a cat and maybe some are not looking at it form different angles.

That's very doable...but you're still paying property taxes in California...but you avoid personal income taxes, business income taxes, etc.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Well I probably can't afford a nice house near the beach in CA but we can always dream right :)

This heat in FL is killing me this year for some reason.

Funny thing is I am watching Hotel Impossible right now.

The one where he is at La Jolla CA hotel. Watched it last night and watching it again with my wife MAYBE I can convince her and our tribe to think about moving there :)

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
This heat in FL is killing me this year for some reason.
You know, somebody here in the forum has created a company about products to help you deal with extreme heat.... ;)

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
I gotta say I never understood much of the negative rep that California sometimes gets on expenses, etc.
Here is how I see it, with a Fastlaner mindset:

- Worried about high income/business taxes?
Many companies run their businesses out of state. Just like PatrickP suggested. He could EASILY do this, and many do.

- Concerned about a few extra hundred dollars in LLC setup fees?
Well, for one - most of us aren't gonna set up a large amount of LLC's to where $800 is gonna hurt us any. Here in WA I paid $200, but I would have gladly paid $800 too. Not a big deal to pay for something you can build and grow into the millions. And secondly - you can easily set up your LLC for cheap out of state if you’re on a shoestring budget! :)

- Worried about property taxes?
Who says you can't rent? Even in Santa Barbara, you can rent a SWEET 4/3 mansion with coastal views, a three car garage, and a pool for around $5k-$7k/month. (Trust me, I have researched it). More and more entrepreneurs are seeing the benefits of renting vs. owning and I am tempted to do this myself. Are there any weird taxes for rent too? I don't know, and I don't care because....

- Worried about higher expenses on insurance, car registration, etc?
....well, isn't the Fastlane all about living ANYWHERE in the world you want without worrying about expenses anymore? This is what it’s all about for me. When I have reached my goals of financial freedom, passivity, and have sold my businesse(s) for $xx million dollars, the last concern I will have is whether the living expenses in state A is gonna be higher than state B. I don’t plan on ever living close to my means, but I know I can live very comfortably in some very nice places in California the day when I have reached my Fastlane destination…

What I'm saying is - when I get where I want to be financially - I would never just want to "settle" to live in another place just because that place happens to be cheaper than my dream place to live. Why would I? Now we all have a different dream place in our minds. For MJ it's Arizona, for some it's Florida, for some it's Hawaii, for some it's Alaska even. Whatever your dream place is - go for it, and don't let expenses scare your dreams away!

You're welcome, California - I love you! :)

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Good post, Eskil. All that's left to figure out is what income one could live comfortably in California.

I would love to live in a beach-front home. ;)

BEAR

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 11, 2007
Montana
We have been contemplating AZ for quite some time. I need sunshine to function, don't know why but I am super un-motivated during the long cold winters here (Nor Cal).

That being said, we love the mountains. We live in the Sierra Nevada's at 3000'. After some extensive research, I have found the magical place called Prescott AZ that is looking very tempting. It is in the "woods", has some snow, and is close to Phoenix.

Still researching but with CA going farther and farther into the toilet, we may just be AZ citizens very soon.:cool:

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
I gotta say I never understood much of the negative rep that California sometimes gets on expenses, etc.
Here is how I see it, with a Fastlaner mindset:

- Worried about high income/business taxes?
Many companies run their businesses out of state. Just like PatrickP suggested. He could EASILY do this, and many do.

- Concerned about a few extra hundred dollars in LLC setup fees?
Well, for one - most of us aren't gonna set up a large amount of LLC's to where $800 is gonna hurt us any. Here in WA I paid $200, but I would have gladly paid $800 too. Not a big deal to pay for something you can build and grow into the millions. And secondly - you can easily set up your LLC for cheap out of state if you’re on a shoestring budget! :)

- Worried about property taxes?
Who says you can't rent? Even in Santa Barbara, you can rent a SWEET 4/3 mansion with coastal views, a three car garage, and a pool for around $5k-$7k/month. (Trust me, I have researched it). More and more entrepreneurs are seeing the benefits of renting vs. owning and I am tempted to do this myself. Are there any weird taxes for rent too? I don't know, and I don't care because....

- Worried about higher expenses on insurance, car registration, etc?
....well, isn't the Fastlane all about living ANYWHERE in the world you want without worrying about expenses anymore? This is what it’s all about for me. When I have reached my goals of financial freedom, passivity, and have sold my businesse(s) for $xx million dollars, the last concern I will have is whether the living expenses in state A is gonna be higher than state B. I don’t plan on ever living close to my means, but I know I can live very comfortably in some very nice places in California the day when I have reached my Fastlane destination…

What I'm saying is - when I get where I want to be financially - I would never just want to "settle" to live in another place just because that place happens to be cheaper than my dream place to live. Why would I? Now we all have a different dream place in our minds. For MJ it's Arizona, for some it's Florida, for some it's Hawaii, for some it's Alaska even. Whatever your dream place is - go for it, and don't let expenses scare your dreams away!

You're welcome, California - I love you! :)

NICE!

I really never wanted to live in CA because growing up in upstate NY the only thing I knew about CA was on the tonight show they would make jokes about how it was 100 degrees. Then for some reason I thought I wanted to get my MBA in CA but decided against it because I remembered (THOUGHT) how horrible the heat was.

Seriously I just learned today that it actually is COOLER than FL. Add this to the fact that last week I realized that Subway is a play on the word SUB as in Submarine sandwiches. I really should have been born a blonde lol

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
I really never wanted to live in CA because growing up in upstate NY the only thing I knew about CA was on the tonight show they would make jokes about how it was 100 degrees. Then for some reason I thought I wanted to get my MBA in CA but decided against it because I remembered (THOUGHT) how horrible the heat was.
Seriously I just learned today that it actually is COOLER than FL

Oh yeah, most of the coastal towns in southern CA stay pretty much around 70-80 all year round, and pretty much sun 360 days a year. Like someone said, maybe with the occasional periods with 90s, but then again - that's always DRY heat, and not muggy humid heat like in FL and some southern states. It's one of the most tempered stable regions in all of the US. AND... no hurricane season! :)

And I wanted to add also that I really agree with MJ and others who have said that sunshine REALLY matters to one's quality of life. Having a neverending supply of sunshine is underestimated. Take this from a Norwegian dude who grew up on 6 months of 2ft. snow, icey roads, seasonal colds and flus, and 20 below. LOL...

For those who need seasons and rain and snow - well you can still take vacations to other places in the world, get your seasonal fix, and come home to the sun any time. :)

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Seriously I just learned today that it actually is COOLER than FL.

Just depends on where in CA. It's been 120 degrees according to my car in Northern California. Far less humid though. The one time I was in Florida was Jacksonville in July of 2009/2010. Worst weather I've ever encountered. Felt like I got punched in the gut when I got off the plane.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Great perspectives....

In regards to the original post, the topic was that entrepreneurs in AZ are hirin more.

I see a direct correlation between local taxes and your ability to grow your business

CA as a place to retire? Sure.
As a place to start an run your busines? Not so sure...

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Ah ok I am finally catching on. Near the coast great weather. Inland it gets HOT.

Here in FL we almost never get to 100 so that is HOT HOT to me. But as you say we have the humidity.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Just depends on where in CA. It's been 120 degrees according to my car in Northern California. Far less humid though. The one time I was in Florida was Jacksonville in July of 2009/2010. Worst weather I've ever encountered. Felt like I got punched in the gut when I got off the plane.

Wow. You must be North of Sacramento. I'm in Folsom and it was above 100 last week. Sucks...but at least its sunny.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
I'm in north San Diego county, just south of Orange county. We just went thru a nasty spell of weather, 95*+ and 75% humidity at least. We have a window A/C, and only need it a few weeks. Don't believe the 70* BS. It does get hot.

I'd still trade FL weather for SD weather in a heartbeat. There's just no finer place in the US, or maybe the world, if weather is your first consideration.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
... no one seems to have mentioned ... have you SEEN the women out there? You have to do better to afford them :groove:

California girls: the only girls that cost more than a house

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Patrick, sounds like you need to starting doing some monthly rentals across the USA. If I had to pick a place to park for the summer, it would be Colorado up high about 9,000 ft. 75 all day, crisp clean air.

I will also second MJ's post about AZ. It's gotta be the weather, low cost of living and good biz environment. I personally think the weather is a huge part of it. Having a pool to jump into, mountains to hike and bike nearby and awesome winters makes it hard to be in a bad mood. And, if you are in good moods all the time, good things happen.

needchaser

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jan 7, 2012
USA
I can definitely back Southern California as a great place to live and as mentioned San Diego, Santa Barbara and Ventura County are the top areas, especially the cities near the coast. There are a million things to do outdoors and indoors and everything is relatively close by. For those of you considering moving here feel free to shoot me a message if you're curious about a particular city or area.

Cost of living and business is more expensive and I've definitely considered moving because of these factors but I think I may be able to avoid some of the business costs since I own a house in Nevada and might be able to register my online business ventures there. I'll keep people posted on how that turns out. One difference that I've heard regarding LLC fees is that in California it's an annual $800 while in other states it's only a one time setup fee. Although if your business is thriving, $800 a year ain't much.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Patrick, sounds like you need to starting doing some monthly rentals across the USA. If I had to pick a place to park for the summer, it would be Colorado up high about 9,000 ft. 75 all day, crisp clean air.

I will also second MJ's post about AZ. It's gotta be the weather, low cost of living and good biz environment. I personally think the weather is a huge part of it. Having a pool to jump into, mountains to hike and bike nearby and awesome winters makes it hard to be in a bad mood. And, if you are in good moods all the time, good things happen.

Good suggestions. I love CO. Went there with my wife and drove 2000 miles around the National parks etc.

Then went back 2 weeks later with my wife to see UFC in Denver last year.

BUT Way too cold in the winter. AZ no way I could do that way too hot.

I think stay a month in South CA a year would be good.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
THANK YOU! to everyone for the input.

Just booked a flight to San Diego and rented a car for my wife and I. We leave day after tomorrow and will go for a week.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Just booked a flight to San Diego and rented a car for my wife and I. We leave day after tomorrow and will go for a week.

Ha ha now that's what I call an action-taker! We like that around here! :thumbsup:

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Aww shucks not really :)

The truth is I usually need to join 2 forums, make 3 threads asking for help and do 10 Google searches before I change a roll of tp, just to make sure I am doing it right lol

Actually I was way overdue for a little get away. 5 Days ago I bought and paid for tickets to NY and car rental for 2 weeks when a family member went into the hospital. I didn't realize you basically lose ALL that money if you are not there for the first flight and don't pick up your car within 24 hours of the car rental start, except for $40 airline credit IF you use the same airline for another ticket. $40 is the difference between fee to change the ticket and the original cost of ticket.

So only missed the flight by 3 days and care pick up by 2 days and no refund, only a $40 credit IF you use the same airline the next time.

Now of course thinking back trip insurance seems like a good idea lol

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

Drive north to Newport Beach and visit the area called Corona Del Mar, say hello to my bluff for me :). I spent several year living on the ocean in Newport Beach on the bluff in Corona Del Mar and my husband spent 29 years living on Balboa Island in Newport Beach, absolutely worth the drive north...it is about 1 hour and 30 minutes north of San Diego. Have a great time in CA!

Sue

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
HA sounds good thanks!

What caused you and your husband to move from CA to AZ?

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs

Agreed! Colorados great during summer, don't like winters though. I've only been to Phx once while
on the way to San Diego, gorgeous state so know what you guys mean. Definitely one of the spots I'd pick to live for awhile.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA

NICE! You and your wife are in for a treat. The last 2 weeks were super hot. This week we are in for some low 70s. :eusa_clap:

I'm a citizen of San Diego. :rolleyes: Here are my suggestions:

1. San Diego Zoo OR San Diego Wild Animal Park - Shit load of exotic animals. Pandas.

2. Balboa park- Shit load of awesome museums. Check out the Titanic artifact museum!

3. Historic Gaslamp district in downtown. Check out some of the 5 star italian restaurants OMG.:smx9:

4. Check out the children's pool in La Jolla. Full of seals and check out the awesome coves. I go snorkeling there sometimes. Butt loads of fun.

5. Check out the Horse races in Del Mar. Loads of fun. They don't race mondays and tuesdays.

6. Check out old town too. The mexican food there is amazing.

7. Check out Coronado Island. The hotel is a must see. Especially the brunch! And you can watch the U.S. Navy Seals train too from behind a fence if you want.

8. Oh and almost forgot! The dinner ferry in the bay! Amazing views of downtown while you eat and cruise in 70 degree weather on a summer night! The San Diego Summer night smell is amazing. Euphoric almost.

Have Fun!

Great perspectives....

In regards to the original post, the topic was that entrepreneurs in AZ are hirin more.

I see a direct correlation between local taxes and your ability to grow your business

CA as a place to retire? Sure.
As a place to start an run your busines? Not so sure...

That pretty much raps it up lol.

Ãœbertreffen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 17, 2012
Interesting article. Since I used to live there and try to visit often I can agree that the AZ weather, scenery and surroundings (people, places to go, and things to do) have a lot to do with the happiness it carries. For me, it also provides a sense of history and childhood. Going back and already knowing all your favorite spots allows you to focus on just the enjoyment of being there. I've been working on finding a home out there to stay out there more often or for longer spurs at one time.

As far as hot weather goes, you definitely have to compare humidity weather to a place like AZ where humidity is really not an issue. I'm in Iowa and I'll take 110 degree weather over 100 degree weather with 100% humidity any day. With humidity there's no escape of the heat. At least in states without humidity you can actually cool off in the shade (under a tree, between a building, under a roof line, etc) when working outside. That or as MJ said, just jump in a pool. Having a pool is definitely a must.

Maybe I'm used to it. My parents used to joke that I was cold blooded when I was younger as I rarely get cold. I used to only wear a sweatshirt year round around here even during mid winter. Which is funny when you see many doing the same in Arizona where the weather is very mild in the winter months, depending on the location and person you talk to of course. Once you go back to a place with hot weather it does take a little adjustment for most but I'm easily adjusted to the change. Often, your blood seems to thin out and the weather becomes more bearable, at least to me.

There's no doubt that Arizona is hot and may be bearable more so to one over the next but you really have to visit the state(s) you're interested in and make your own impressions. I also had a relative visit Scottsdale and wondered why our family ever left Arizona. Scottsdale is a great place but there are a lot of great cities in AZ worth visiting or living.

I've heard Cali is great. I visited there when I was younger a few times when living in Arizona. I know some people that live there and laws seem to come up at some point from the vast majority. I know quite a few people with modified vehicles and regulations aren't so fun. That is why some of which keep their cars registered in other states, haha.

Bottom line there are a lot of great places to live. I like a few states over the rest because they bring a night and day difference in comparison and are places I'm very familiar with. For example, if you want a snowy Holiday you can definitely easily get that in the Midwest. However, if you get sick of the long winter you can get out. Best of both worlds. I've found at least a few good positives about every state I have visited. However, visiting a place on vacation can be different than actually living there.

For those moving or testing the waters, please keep us updated! I'm curious to know your first impressions of the new area of interest and what, if any, decisions persuaded you to decide the new area is a place you see yourself living.

- Devin

BostonH

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 30, 2012
Massachusetts
I've only visited SoCal, but it is the greatest weather I can imagine. Northern California was nice too... just so CONSISTENT. Out east it is 3-4 months of frigid cold, a couple months of heat and humidity, and spring and fall are really great. I'm an east-coaster, but I definitely see the appeal of California (and probably places like AZ as well, though I would miss the ocean).

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
What are the European counterparts to a climate like Phoenix in your opinion?

Any suggestions?

Have you been there? If so, how is it?

No, I haven't, but its a popular location for language learning holidays and friend went on one a few years ago, thats how I found out that its (as far as I know) the only sunny place in Europe where English is an official language. Or are there others?

Judging from pictures and video it seems like a great place, but maybe too "old" (buildings etc) for my taste.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.