The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are some of us "Greats"?

Anything related to matters of the mind

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
THATS what has me curious. You and Kak and Biophase are engaging in the convo with him. He doesn’t know he’s in the ring with the greats but we do. Watching him try to make his points is interesting, he might be a contender... or he might be going down... or he might recognize the training ground. Oh the the tension, the drama of online debate! Lol

#happyintrovert #passthepopcorn #thisbeatsthepuathread #kindahopingforhulkkak

This was pulled from another thread. It seems like it may have some value to discuss.

I really appreciate the fact that you call and label me as one of the greats. My daughter called me a legend here on the forum also. But I'm not. I am not infallible.

We have all been kicked and bounced around. We all have our victories and defeats. We were all born and will also die. We all want to love and be loved. We are all greats.

I really like to look at experiences to determine where the bookmarks are. I have spent a LOT of time working side-by-side with employees of my companies. I once told someone that I look at them and try to treat them as equals. This person tossed me an example from that day and then asked "Do you really think of them as equals or do you just think you do?".

That question perplexed me. He was correct. It has been a long couple of years trying to reframe the perception. We are all the same. Our benchmark should not be what the person next to us does or has done.

As much as it seems like, none of us are right or wrong. What we believe tells us that we are. Society and our strong beliefs in good/bad colors our world.

We will all live and we will all die. We will all have experiences in the middle of that.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
This was pulled from another thread. It seems like it may have some value to discuss.

I really appreciate the fact that you call and label me as one of the greats. My daughter called me a legend here on the forum also. But I'm not. I am not infallible.

We have all been kicked and bounced around. We all have our victories and defeats. We were all born and will also die. We all want to love and be loved. We are all greats.

I really like to look at experiences to determine where the bookmarks are. I have spent a LOT of time working side-by-side with employees of my companies. I once told someone that I look at them and try to treat them as equals. This person tossed me an example from that day and then asked "Do you really think of them as equals or do you just think you do?".

That question perplexed me. He was correct. It has been a long couple of years trying to reframe the perception. We are all the same. Our benchmark should not be what the person next to us does or has done.

As much as it seems like, none of us are right or wrong. What we believe tells us that we are. Society and our strong beliefs in good/bad colors our world.

We will all live and we will all die. We will all have experiences in the middle of that.

Oh I didn’t say that you were great because you’re a better human being. I said that because even though I’ve been on the forum less than a year I’ve read just enough of the INSIDERS threads, Gold threads, to know who’s ACTUALLY making money.

These threads get indexed by Google but newbies or random ppl HAVE NO CLUE that the person replying to them has built up an empire. That particular thread had at least three if not more ACTUAL millionaires who are kind, humble, hardworking and.. not that much different than regular ppl.. except they persevered.

It’s painful to me to see ppl limit themselves. Because I do it. A LOT. When I comment sometimes I’m in the midst of reminding myself “these guys ACTUALLY MADE IT” and it’s incredibly encouraging. But a lot of the newbies have no clue just how successful you guys are. They don’t know how many years and failures it took.. because they didn’t research like a hyper bunny blonde chick on speed and start reading the oldest threads first. *smile

I verify before I take ppl’s advice. It’s one thing to hear a guru say “you can do this!!” as he charges me 1k a month while making all his money from being a “teacher” versus getting three pages or ten minutes of expert opinion from somebody on this forum who put in the sweat equity and years of effort to get to a place I want to be.

You are great. Ppl who jump on the forum should be respectful. They’re getting your time for free.

Just FYI, this is exactly how I am on a completely different forum when newbies try to school the experienced moms on some new technique or have the audacity to challenge proven principles that have already changed and impacted thousands. It pisses me off when ppl get online and try to argue about stuff with ppl who ACTUALLY KNOW WTF THEY’RE DOING. But it does make for interesting threads. Lol.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Oh I didn’t say that you were great because you’re a better human being. I said that because even though I’ve been on the forum less than a year I’ve read just enough of the INSIDERS threads, Gold threads, to know who’s ACTUALLY making money.

These threads get indexed by Google but newbies or random ppl HAVE NO CLUE that the person replying to them has built up an empire. That particular thread had at least three if not more ACTUAL millionaires who are kind, humble, hardworking and.. not that much different than regular ppl.. except they persevered.

It’s painful to me to see ppl limit themselves. Because I do it. A LOT. When I comment sometimes I’m in the midst of reminding myself “these guys ACTUALLY MADE IT” and it’s incredibly encouraging. But a lot of the newbies have no clue just how successful you guys are. They don’t know how many years and failures it took.. because they didn’t research like a hyper bunny blonde chick on speed and start reading the oldest threads first. *smile

I verify before I take ppl’s advice. It’s one thing to hear a guru say “you can do this!!” as he charges me 1k a month while making all his money from being a “teacher” versus getting three pages or ten minutes of expert opinion from somebody on this forum who put in the sweat equity and years of effort to get to a place I want to be.

You are great. Ppl who jump on the forum should be respectful. They’re getting your time for free.

Just FYI, this is exactly how I am on a completely different forum when newbies try to school the experienced moms on some new technique or have the audacity to challenge proven principles that have already changed and impacted thousands. It pisses me off when ppl get online and try to argue about stuff with ppl who ACTUALLY KNOW WTF THEY’RE DOING. But it does make for interesting threads. Lol.
Yep. I really did not mean ANYTHING against your statement. This was just something that I wanted to address for myself. :)

Thanks for your input!

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Yep. I really did not mean ANYTHING against your statement. This was just something that I wanted to address for myself. :)

Thanks for your input!

Ohhh.. my bad. Lol! You want to have an existential convo and I turned it into a practical one. *awkward moment

Somebody else comment soon. Hahaha.. rofl.

(It’s important to note that I took a preworkout supplement about 90minutes ago and it had a TON of caffeine in it..)

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Ohhh.. my bad. Lol! You want to have an existential convo and I turned it into a practical one. *awkward moment

Somebody else comment soon. Hahaha.. rofl.

(It’s important to note that I took a preworkout supplement about 90minutes ago and it had a TON of caffeine in it..)
I left your quote in there so you had all the right in the world to comment! Tons of good information on your thoughts in your reply.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Some of you are indeed greats.

Is perfection a requirement to be great? Absolutely not. Quite the contrary. There is strength in admitting our weaknesses.

What is a great anyway? How can we define someone that is great? I can't even start to answer that question.

But what I can say is there are people walked the paths (plural) , found a way and succeeded.

When those talk I listen. If they say something I don't agree with. I will pause and ask what are they seeing that this way? What am I missing?

Those are greats in their field.

What make them even greater, is openly admitting their imperfections, engaging with others and learning with others.

If there is something I appreciate here and that made me stick is that. The engagement by the so called great. And seeing people change their limiting beliefs and improve as a results of the "greats" .

For exple
- @Kyle T. I remember reading his progress thread not long ago and being pumped and washed by happiness. In a way that makes @Sean Marshall a great.
- @biophase is giving a ton of value. E-Com wise, he is a great.
- @Andy Black has some gems too. Many improves significantly because of him. That kinda makes him a great.
- @Kak, @JasonR ,@amp0193 ,@Lex DeVille, @458, @Vigilante, @Fox ... Their contributions here are changing people life. For me, that makes them great in their own respective fields...

And they are many others.

@SteveO, am not too familiar with what you do. But I know other heavy hitters respect you. That makes u a great here

Edit: end up being more of a name dropping post. Lol

Edit 2: re-reading. I will say a great for me is someone:
- whose competence is recognized in this forum
- who is still focused on learning
- engage with others with the goals of helping, giving pure value
- whom writings have change at least one life.

And so many here are greats! And now I have a feeling of gratitude washing over me

Last edited:

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA

I think it depends on context. An employee and an owner are two different things, and I don't think there's ever a way to make them equal. So, in the context of business, as much as you talk to them as equals, they're not, and I think it does a disservice to try to force that idea on the relationship (not that you're doing that, but just making that point). Employees will never have the perspective of the owner. They'll never have the same level of passion, etc. They're just different. The owner is on a higher plane than the employee.

Now, when you shift the context of a conversation from business to life, all that changes. We are all very much equals

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I think it depends on context. An employee and an owner are two different things, and I don't think there's ever a way to make them equal. So, in the context of business, as much as you talk to them as equals, they're not, and I think it does a disservice to try to force that idea on the relationship (not that you're doing that, but just making that point). Employees will never have the perspective of the owner. They'll never have the same level of passion, etc. They're just different. The owner is on a higher plane than the employee.

Now, when you shift the context of a conversation from business to life, all that changes. We are all very much equals
Agree. I see what you are saying.

In "life" is where I prefer to dwell these days. Trying to roll the business thoughts into personal feelings.

I guess this is really a wasted post. It has more to do with philosophical perceptions.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I guess this is really a wasted post. It has more to do with philosophical perceptions.
I don't think it's a wasted post. I think it's important not to let expertise in one field make us think we're better at all fields, and certainly not better as a person.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Agree. I see what you are saying.

In life is where I prefer to dwell these days. Trying to roll the business thoughts into personal feelings.

It’s not wasted at all. It is philosophical though. 1.) We’re all human. 2.) We’re all going to die. 3.) We all have value.

Most rational ppl agree with one and two but don’t know deep down if they believe in number 3, or why or how much.

My belief system says that someone Greater chose not only to create me but to suffer and die to make a way for me to be with Him for eternity. Furthermore, He did it for everybody.

I don’t value everyone the way I should. Nobody does. That’s why meeting ppl from different places and reading firsthand accounts is so important, so I don’t rely on just my experiences of the world. Its ok to admit that Im not God, that I just don’t like some ppl and to work to figure out who deserves my trust, my time, and my effort while paradoxically admitting that I need to be sensitive to the ppl God has placed in my path who I might not value at all.. because He does care for them.

I think the important takeaway is that often we don’t value entire groups of ppl and THAT is an unwise perspective.

It sounds like you had a realization about a certain group whom you have maybe devalued?

And it’s important to note the differences between value and trust.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I don't think it's a wasted post. I think it's important not to let expertise in one field make us think we're better at all fields, and certainly not better as a person.
yeah its not wasted. Its something I've thought about too...it has been a source of awkwardness and unease with me until I realized that 'business owner' is just a role with certain rules around it. (where I am 'superior' to those under me, though that's quite the loaded term). I can play that role when appropriate, and then step out of it and be just like everyone else.

What I found is that even when I'm thinking about and treating employees or contractors like equals, they don't think of me that way. Its not overtly stated, but there is a certain deference they give me (even though I do my best to elicit feedback and honest thoughts and opinions.

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019
I don't know if you're great or not, but I'm glad you're here.

Kyle T

Marketing Entrepreneur
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 22, 2018
Utah
I am honored to have been mentioned in this thread.

With that said I am not one of the “greats”.

Not even close... but I will be one day.

“I am not there yet but I am closer than I was yesterday.”

We are all on this same journey and the ONLY thing that matters is that we improve.

Don’t ever compare your beginning to someone else’s end.

There is no magical trait in any of this... just learning to embrace failure and developing a relentless pursuit of improvement.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
why not Zoidberg

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
I think the word "great" gets used when we mean "executing at the highest level one is capable of at/in that moment".

In that regard any employee or owner can be great and of equal greatness. (my opinion)

...and @SteveO , you are great. (fact)

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I think the word "great" gets used when we mean "executing at the highest level one is capable of at/in that moment".

In that regard any employee or owner can be great and of equal greatness. (my opinion)

...and @SteveO , you are great. (fact)
Love it!

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I don't see any individual here as quote " a great "

I just know that some are more experienced at a particular skill such as business than I am.

It's like studying to become a plumber for example, if your an apprentice, and the qualified plumber opens his mouth. You are going to listen as he knows what he's talking about and your trying to learn how to become a plumber.

Would you think the plumber is a great?

I don't know in what context you mean but the word great seems a bit to worshipy for me.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.