The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are Facebook Groups Dead?

Marketing, social media, advertising

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
Hey Fastlaners!

I’ve seen guys like @Andy Black and @Fox talk a lot in the past about the power of Facebook Groups.

I’ve scoured the forum and a lot of these threads are several years old - and we all know how quickly social media moves!

Recently I have built up a decent Discord community around my niche, and though numerically there are not loads of members (~700) there is a ton of on-topic chatter every day and a good 10% have become customers.

The problem with Discord is that it’s all behind closed doors and the content doesn’t get any “reach” beyond the chat.

So I am thinking of opening a Facebook Group which, perhaps would reach a slightly higher age demographic (nothing wrong with that).

I guess my hope would be that I’d be able to build a similar quality of community but also that the content would be rewarded with extra reach OUTSIDE of the group, allowing the group to grow organically.

Question is…in 2022 is this realistic? Are Facebook groups a way to grow a large community organically? Or has the moment passed?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey Fastlaners!

I’ve seen guys like @Andy Black and @Fox talk a lot in the past about the power of Facebook Groups.

I’ve scoured the forum and a lot of these threads are several years old - and we all know how quickly social media moves!

Recently I have built up a decent Discord community around my niche, and though numerically there are not loads of members (~700) there is a ton of on-topic chatter every day and a good 10% have become customers.

The problem with Discord is that it’s all behind closed doors and the content doesn’t get any “reach” beyond the chat.

So I am thinking of opening a Facebook Group which, perhaps would reach a slightly higher age demographic (nothing wrong with that).

I guess my hope would be that I’d be able to build a similar quality of community but also that the content would be rewarded with extra reach OUTSIDE of the group, allowing the group to grow organically.

Question is…in 2022 is this realistic? Are Facebook groups a way to grow a large community organically? Or has the moment passed?
I don’t think they’re dead.

I only log into Facebook once a day and don’t have a Facebook group so don’t know the pros and cons vs Discord.

I find it useful being in Facebook groups for software I use, but don’t have any goals to have a community.

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
I guess the main thing I am trying to establish is: are they still a good way to build a community organically? Does the group content get good organic reach (if it's good!).

Would love people's opinion on this!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
are they still a good way to build a community organically?

I'd avoid any 3rd party system that controls your data and users. Discord and FB does that.

Start your own forum. Discourse.org, Xenforo.com, or other forum platforms. Just make sure they are mobile-first (xenforo is NOT).

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

You could create a subreddit. That should also give it some visibility outside of the group plus offer an easy way to grow it with paid ads.

But if I were to build a community, I'd rather build it as @MJ DeMarco wrote on your own platform. I heard great things about www.circle.so. For discovery, you could simply start a blog and drive people to your community via the blog.

Ayobami23

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Sep 16, 2021
I'd avoid any 3rd party system that controls your data and users. Discord and FB does that.

Start your own forum. Discourse.org, Xenforo.com, or other forum platforms. Just make sure they are mobile-first (xenforo is NOT).
Yes but those platforms demands subscription fee.I think coding from the scratch is the best alternative for those that don’t have enough capitals

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
Some of these ideas are great, but which of these platforms can I get organic reach from too?

I guess the forum route you get serious SEO juice.

What platform do you use for this forum @MJ DeMarco ?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Some of these ideas are great, but which of these platforms can I get organic reach from too?

I guess the forum route you get serious SEO juice.

What platform do you use for this forum @MJ DeMarco ?
The forum is Xenforo.

I don’t think posts in Facebook groups get seen by people outside the groups?

Are you trying to create a community, or get visitors, or both?

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I'm currently using FB groups with mixed results.

There's a couple of young guys out here who teach "how to make money with facebook groups" ... through facebook groups... it' a bit ponzi-ish but they're good guys who have just found the thing that's making them lots of money now.

My "paid" FB group is where we often share files, links, etc to look at on desktop. We also have a whatsapp group now.

I think it's just become so fractured that even without all of Facebook's throttling of views and reach -- people are just on every platform and their attention is all over the place. They can now scroll in every app. It's just constant scrolling.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I use Basecamp for my little mastermind, and to interact with clients.

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
The forum is Xenforo.

I don’t think posts in Facebook groups get seen by people outside the groups?

Are you trying to create a community, or get visitors, or both?

Both.

We're doing a great job at building community in Discord...but I can't help but feel that the content is wasted as:

a) It doesn't get organic views outside of the platform
b) It's not helping us to DRIVE new people to the community

Curious to know if, as @MTF suggested, anyone is using circle.so? It actually looks really good as you can have gated areas as well as public areas - presumably, then SEO can play a part in the strategy of building things.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Both.

We're doing a great job at building community in Discord...but I can't help but feel that the content is wasted as:

a) It doesn't get organic views outside of the platform
b) It's not helping us to DRIVE new people to the community

Curious to know if, as @MTF suggested, anyone is using circle.so? It actually looks really good as you can have gated areas as well as public areas - presumably, then SEO can play a part in the strategy of building things.
I think @Fox was using circle.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I think @Fox was using circle.

Ya, I was and then went back to FB.

It is kinda slow. Not enough to notice at first, but it's enough to make it annoying to use over time.

As much as I hate FB they are the best place to run a group atm.

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
Ya, I was and then went back to FB.

It is kinda slow. Not enough to notice at first, but it's enough to make it annoying to use over time.

As much as I hate FB they are the best place to run a group atm.
Thanks, @Fox - so - do you find that having a group brings good organic reach? Or is yours private and locked down?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Thanks, @Fox - so - do you find that having a group brings good organic reach? Or is yours private and locked down?

Nah - all of mine have been private, even for free groups.

I don't think there is much reach for groups organically on FB (like on the timeline) - the only way I can think of is in search results within FB.

So, for example, if someone searches "Apartments Paris" and you have a "Find an apartment in Paris" FB group.

But usually, most new members are coming from outside links or word of mouth.
Its much better to focus on how to get the group shared than to rely on organic traffic.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Last edited:

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
Nah - all of mine have been private, even for free groups.

I don't think there is much reach for groups organically on FB (like on the timeline) - the only way I can think of is in search results within FB.

So, for example, if someone searches "Apartments Paris" and you have a "Find an apartment in Paris" FB group.

But usually, most new members are coming from outside links or word of mouth.
Its much better to focus on how to get the group shared than to rely on organic traffic.
Awesome - this is so helpful!

What have you found to be the most effective ways to get new people to join your group/community?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Awesome - this is so helpful!

What have you found to be the most effective ways to get new people to join your group/community?

You got to go post somewhere else.

Like Instagram, Youtube, forums, a podcast etc.

Look for what the people interested in X topic are searching for and go make content around that.

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 8, 2017
UK

Look for what the people interested in X topic are searching for and go make content around that.
Makes sense.

Do you use some kind of lead magnet to get people “in”?

AristotlesPupil

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 10, 2021

Hey Fox, I think I have a similar vibe to yourself. I am very charismatic in person but I have a hard time on camera. What would you recommend I do if I want to become as influent over video media? You seem to have it nailed down pretty good. Any courses or videos you recommend? What type of practice should I do, just film myself over and over? What did it look like for you at the beginning?

Thanks man

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.