The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anonymous review site to bring light to a shady industry.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
I understand. All I can think of now is setting up donations for the hosting and moving on to something else.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
I picked up TMF last night. I read the chapter about the redline and commitment all the way thought the NEEDS chapter in the CENTS framework. Here is what happened...

First, I remembered I made a commitment to this thing. That I've put in way too much work to give up now.

Second, my website complies with the CONTROL commandment.

Third, the ENTRY commandment means process... and that's exactly what I'm in the middle of.

Fourth, and most important, I asked myself these questions:
  1. Is there a need in my area for a this website?
  2. What are similar websites that exist doing wrong that I could do better?
  3. What improved value do I offer?
  4. What assets do I bring to this community?
  5. Is this website founded on a selfish premise?

These are the answers I came up with:

1. No comprehensive database exists so people have no idea what is available for them.
  2. No platform specifically for sober livings exists. And sober livings will always exist.
  3. Sober livings that the community loves go out of business either because a) they run out of money because not enough people are aware of them (especially when their first option is full already) and b) one idiot complaining might cause a place to shut down because the rest of the community has no way of championing that sober living.
  4. There’s no way to know what living at a sober living is actually like before you move in.
  5. No platform exists to host a public conversation about what’s going on at these places. This makes for unfit homes serving the wrong type of person leading to ineffectiveness across the whole industry.
  6. Sober livings are not licensed, regulated, or policed. A review site is the best way to hold them accountable and ultimately raise the industry standard.
  7. The recovery community is a tight community already who wants to help each other.
  8. Once the site grows, cash pay sober living operators will finally have the most cost effective and widest reaching platform that targets their specific market.

It was founded when I decided to run ads on Google for one of the few sober livings that I would recommend to someone. Google's policy would not let me (lacking CONTROL commandment). I was trying to help people be aware of this solid sober living while at the same time helping this sober living stay in business. That’s not selfish. And google would not let me. Which I had no control over. So I decided to make a website where a) solid places like this could have more exposure, and b) all the stories, complaints, opinions, reputations, could all be accessed in one place so everybody can be on the same page about what’s going on. That’s why this website was founded. It is not selfish. Especially considering the fact that I haven't generated a profit yet.

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
So here is what I'm going to do. I'm going to focus on growth, not profit. I set up my LLC last night (I've already had a sober living threaten a lawsuit for being on my website), I spoke to a lawyer and figured out what I can and cannot do, and now I'm revising the guidelines, processes, terms of service, and privacy policy to focus on building the audience and generate reviews. I set up the staging site and got the plans for the next update to my web developer to start working on. This next update is going to include a few structural changes that solidify the infrastructure of a user-generated website focused on fostering a public conversation about sober livings without the interference of the rest of the treatment industry.

Then its all about building out the database, growing the audience, and getting more reviews.

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Latest update launched 2 weeks ago. Completely revamped the location data structure so finding a place's location (or locations that have places) are now hyper-specific.

Updated the single templates to show basic information for every provider (even if they haven't claimed their place).

Still need to add information to like 100 unclaimed places out of 200.

Next update will be focused on streamlining the registration -> review process. I want to be able to have a conversation with somebody and have them write a review in less than 2 min. without me navigating them through it.

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
T
So here is what I'm going to do. I'm going to focus on growth, not profit. I set up my LLC last night (I've already had a sober living threaten a lawsuit for being on my website), I spoke to a lawyer and figured out what I can and cannot do, and now I'm revising the guidelines, processes, terms of service, and privacy policy to focus on building the audience and generate reviews. I set up the staging site and got the plans for the next update to my web developer to start working on. This next update is going to include a few structural changes that solidify the infrastructure of a user-generated website focused on fostering a public conversation about sober livings without the interference of the rest of the treatment industry.

Then its all about building out the database, growing the audience, and getting more reviews.
Learned insight: The only way I was able to make the decision to focus on growth without sacrificing my vision by chasing revenue was to get a phone sales job lol.

Now that I have an income that is part-time, from home, that covers the bills... my venture is free from being corrupted.

For example, when I was desperate for money, I was going to generate leads... which is NOT the relative value that I see a NEED for... I see the relative value in having a yelp-structured user-review platform specifically for sober living homes, with a comprehensive comprehensive database, and hyper-specific locations -- it is designed to give people a voice to help each other navigate sober livings, not generate leads for sober livings.

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Just read this in Unscripted and it is probably my favorite part:

"What these fools can’t see is that pursuing the dream is the dream itself. It’s the process. The failures, trials, and tribulations. It’s the self-growth, the self-awareness, and the self-discovery that occur during a dream pursuit. To sell the dream is to awaken the dream—and once it’s alive, you become alive."

DeMarco, MJ. UNSCRIPTED : Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Entrepreneurship (pp. 89-90). Viperion Publishing Corporation. Kindle Edition.

Thanks @MJ DeMarco

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Damn.

I just read a post from @Andy Black that reiterated his philosophy about needing sales/customers, not a more advanced [insert latest over-preparation here]—in my case, certain website features.

I stopped thinking about making money with my website... but after reading this, I re-packaged my offer and will have them live on the site in this upcoming update.

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
I'm in this weird space of "don't chase money, provide value" and "you need sales".

I caught myself on the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics looking at economic trends for my next business idea. Then I thought, "my website is not where I want it to be yet."

I've made $850 and that was before launch. I've gotten a lot of soft proof from a lot of people who would use the service and even pay for it.

I've gotten constructive criticism on the FLF about the business model.

I'm thinking about the economics of the niche and it isn't looking good... but it doesn't have to be the next big thing.

It just needs to provide value. And right now, it isn't where I want it to be yet from a prototype standpoint.

Do I continue investing time and money into it?

Might as well.

I got a job lined up for Monday. I got a resume workshop lined up for Tuesday. I got enough money to pay my rent on the 1st... and that's about it.

I got to get a job to pay my bills. Trader Joe's is hiring. BJ's restaurant is hiring. The pizza shop I used to work at is gonna give me a shift today at 4pm.

And I'm gonna be 30 in 7 days.

The depression is very, very real right now.

My biggest problem is my pride and ego make me feel like I'm too good for the jobs available because "I'm an economics major" and "I'm too smart."

I was thinking about going to graduate school this morning. Then I thought, "I'm an entrepreneur."

Back to work.

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Been 6 months since I last posted. Here's the update:
  • Got super depressed leading up to my 30th birthday in April
  • Girlfriend who I had been living with for 4.5 years said she wanted "to sleep with other people".
  • Lived out of a duffle bag and slept on my dad's couch for 2 months until I could find a room for rent.
  • Got a new sales job working straight commission.
  • Lived on credit cards until the commissions started coming in this last month.
  • Working to pay off debt and finally getting back into building my business system.
So here we are. Good to be back in the forum with everybody.

I haven't done any form of marketing for my website in the last 6 months. My developer and I finished the update we were working on. Then I stepped back from it for about 3 months.

Here is the update for my website's results these last 6 months:

Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 12.09.27 PM.png

I don't know if that is good or bad. It is what it is. We also got...
  • 3 listings have been added by the audience
  • 2 listings have been claimed by their Operators
  • 4 reviews have been submitted by the audience
  • 10 users registered
  • $0 in revenue
That's where we're at.

Now, in the last 3 months, my web developer figured out how to track phone calls from the listings so I can know if my site is actually generating value or not. Our event (phone call) tracking does not track for each individual listing yet, it tracks for the whole site.

Since we installed it on August 2nd:

Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 12.39.49 PM.png

This means people are actually using my website to contact these service providers who are getting hot, live transfer phone calls from their target market requesting more information... and they're getting these inquiries for free because of how my current business model is set up.

Current business model:
  • Claim home for free and get phone calls
  • Pay $30/month for "advanced features"
  • Result: $0
New business model:
  • Claim home for free; no contact information
  • Verify listing by enrolling in pay-per-call membership to post phone number and receive calls
  • Result: unknown
Plan: conduct an experiment to sell providers on the idea of pay-per-call and get them enrolled in the membership with credit card on file BEFORE I spend time and money on making the changes to the website.

Process:

I work on my website for an hour a day before I go to work and in my spare time.
  1. Drafted up a contract with the terms ($9/phone call, 24-month commitment, no upfront fee)
  2. Used PandaDoc to be able to text the link to the prospect for e-signature
  3. Can use my current listings as my starting prospects
  4. Crafting a sales process, flash cards for objection handling, and role playing this week
  5. Will start calling prospects by Saturday October 29th

arguino

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jun 24, 2020
Montreal, Qc, Canada
Hey, just read the whole thread, personal situation is sad to hear, glad you've pulled through. Congrats on creating a website that brings value.

Perhaps the most important thing that has happened since I started this project is I've had about 6 people reach out to me directly to help them find a provider... and I never told them to do that. I just said "hey, check out this website. And people were like, no, do it for me."
Have you thought about charging the users for this? Having some kind of premium service where you help them find a place to stay. You might be against this and feel like you're benefitting from them, but I'd object and say if it enables you to help them better you're creating value for both of you.

You say you don't like the niche but I think it's a very noble one, you're helping people who want to take back control of their lives find the right place to do so. I don't know what brought you depression nearing your birthday, but you should take pride in what you built, even if financially you don't feel there yet.

Maybe volunteering locally in your niche could help you find ways to create value for your users. Have you posted your website to /r/stopdrinking or similar subreddits (maybe ask the mods there)? You could also find ways to create value there.

What about a journaling app or website that helps people stay sober? (I wouldn't go into this blindly without researching addictions further, I don't know if this could be helpful)

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Hey, just read the whole thread, personal situation is sad to hear, glad you've pulled through. Congrats on creating a website that brings value.

Have you thought about charging the users for this? Having some kind of premium service where you help them find a place to stay. You might be against this and feel like you're benefitting from them, but I'd object and say if it enables you to help them better you're creating value for both of you.

You say you don't like the niche but I think it's a very noble one, you're helping people who want to take back control of their lives find the right place to do so. I don't know what brought you depression nearing your birthday, but you should take pride in what you built, even if financially you don't feel there yet.

Maybe volunteering locally in your niche could help you find ways to create value for your users. Have you posted your website to /r/stopdrinking or similar subreddits (maybe ask the mods there)? You could also find ways to create value there.

What about a journaling app or website that helps people stay sober? (I wouldn't go into this blindly without researching addictions further, I don't know if this could be helpful)
I appreciate your feedback.

I have thought about charging users for this service. That's a super pain in the a$$, but if my current plan doesn't work out then I can unpack that idea more.

Thank you for your kind words about the nobility of my mission.

I do volunteer locally and that's where most of momentum comes from because I haven't done any real marketing.

I'm gonna post to reddit right now lol. Thanks for the suggestion.

A friend of mine owns an app that helps people stay sober. Once I get the nuts and bolts of a functioning and revenue-producing system down, I was thinking about working some kind of back link relationship with him.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
It's been almost 2 years since you embarked on this journey.

It doesn't sound like you're any closer to actually making money at this than you were two years ago.

At what point do you tell yourself it's not going to happen and pivot to something that can make you money better, faster, more efficiently?

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
It's been almost 2 years since you embarked on this journey.

It doesn't sound like you're any closer to actually making money at this than you were two years ago.

At what point do you tell yourself it's not going to happen and pivot to something that can make you money better, faster, more efficiently?
Ouuuuch bro.

I mean... I guess I'll pivot after I try this new pay-per-call revenue model.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Ouuuuch bro.

I mean... I guess I'll pivot after I try this new pay-per-call revenue model.
Bro...

Don't let a random stranger on the internet dissuade you. If you see value, then keep going for it.

For context, I barely skimmed most of the thread. I read the first couple posts, and the last couple posts, and that left me with my question.

I was simply asking a legit business question. What's your exit strategy?

Most people think of an exit as selling a business and being rich. But more common than that is exiting a venture that isn't going anywhere. You should have a plan for that if that is what's going on here.

So I'm not saying that you should be giving up. That really is just for you to decide.

If this pay per call model doesn't work, do you have other options to explore in this venture?

If not, then yeah maybe pivot now.

Frankly, your response sounds like you still don't really know what your target market wants. "I guess... I'll try..."

What is the value that you are providing that people will pay you for?

I got a website that produces value!!

(I have now skimmed a little more.)

Everyone is happy when you have a free listing site that saves them some coin. Yeah. The website provides value. It might even be changing some lives.

But you sounds like you struggle with it because you don't feel successful yet. This sounds like it has become a labor of love.

Nothing wrong with leaving the website up while you try other things. Maybe this is a business idea that you can come back to later...

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Bro...

Don't let a random stranger on the internet dissuade you. If you see value, then keep going for it.

For context, I barely skimmed most of the thread. I read the first couple posts, and the last couple posts, and that left me with my question.

I was simply asking a legit business question. What's your exit strategy?

Most people think of an exit as selling a business and being rich. But more common than that is exiting a venture that isn't going anywhere. You should have a plan for that if that is what's going on here.

So I'm not saying that you should be giving up. That really is just for you to decide.

If this pay per call model doesn't work, do you have other options to explore in this venture?

If not, then yeah maybe pivot now.

Frankly, your response sounds like you still don't really know what your target market wants. "I guess... I'll try..."

What is the value that you are providing that people will pay you for?

(I have now skimmed a little more.)

Everyone is happy when you have a free listing site that saves them some coin. Yeah. The website provides value. It might even be changing some lives.

But you sounds like you struggle with it because you don't feel successful yet. This sounds like it has become a labor of love.

Nothing wrong with leaving the website up while you try other things. Maybe this is a business idea that you can come back to later...
Thanks man. Not gonna lie, your last post had me totally reevaluating my life for the last hour lol.

The value that people will pay for (maybe) is the phone calls they get from the site.

I won't know until I call them and offer it to them.

I have 230 places to call starting on Saturday.

If I cannot get 20 of them to agree to a 12-month commitment with a credit card on file, then I'm done with this niche industry.

I still have the underpinnings of a website that can produce value for any industry. It would just be a matter of pivoting to the right industry that would value the phone calls enough to pay for them.

What do you think?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Since I'm going to try a new revenue model (pay-per-call), does anyone have any suggestions on how much I should charge for each call?

I'm thinking each membership is gonna be a 12-month commitment.

I figure in order for a call to be "qualified" it has to meet 3 criteria:
  1. From a U.S. phone number
  2. Come directly from the providers webpage
  3. Last at least 30 seconds
Service providers in this niche get all kinds of calls but at least the ones from my site will be a little bit more informed about what they have available before they call. And if they charge on average $800 a month, and even though they have a high turnover rate, they could have a customer for around 5-6 months.

So if a call meets this criteria, I'll charge $14.99 per call when they sign-up from the site itself. But to entice prospects to sign up when I call them on Saturday, I'll offer them a locked in rate at 40% off ($8.99).

I think this is good. Any feedback from people who have done this before? @MJ DeMarco @BizyDad

I don't know anyone else who has done pay-per-call on here.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
$15 per call is plenty cheap.

I'm a skeptic by nature and have no experience in pay per call pricing strategies.

My suggestion would be stop trying to figure out how you're going to sell this, and start having a conversation with the market.

For example, those three criteria don't equate to qualified in my opinion. Someone in the United States who rings somebody up from your directory and tries to sell them on marketing services would meet your criteria.

As someone who listens to a lot of recorded phone calls generated from marketing efforts, I can tell you that that is the kind of phone call that is most likely to happen. My clients get more sales calls from Yelp or clutch then they do legit inquiries.

I don't really want to respond too much, because as I mentioned I'm a skeptic.

I would rather cheer you on then rain on your parade. Just go do your thing. Talk to people. Learn. Grow. Iterate.

And if all else fails, pivot. Lol.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Since I'm going to try a new revenue model (pay-per-call), does anyone have any suggestions on how much I should charge for each call?

I'm thinking each membership is gonna be a 12-month commitment.

I figure in order for a call to be "qualified" it has to meet 3 criteria:
  1. From a U.S. phone number
  2. Come directly from the providers webpage
  3. Last at least 30 seconds
Service providers in this niche get all kinds of calls but at least the ones from my site will be a little bit more informed about what they have available before they call. And if they charge on average $800 a month, and even though they have a high turnover rate, they could have a customer for around 5-6 months.

So if a call meets this criteria, I'll charge $14.99 per call when they sign-up from the site itself. But to entice prospects to sign up when I call them on Saturday, I'll offer them a locked in rate at 40% off ($8.99).

I think this is good. Any feedback from people who have done this before? @MJ DeMarco @BizyDad

I don't know anyone else who has done pay-per-call on here.
Why don't you take the calls or do the callbacks? Pre-qualify them, help them, learn more about them and how they found the site and what other options they've considered or found. Then you can make the call to the best located directory member and sell them the lead much better?

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Do y
$15 per call is plenty cheap.

I'm a skeptic by nature and have no experience in pay per call pricing strategies.

My suggestion would be stop trying to figure out how you're going to sell this, and start having a conversation with the market.

For example, those three criteria don't equate to qualified in my opinion. Someone in the United States who rings somebody up from your directory and tries to sell them on marketing services would meet your criteria.

As someone who listens to a lot of recorded phone calls generated from marketing efforts, I can tell you that that is the kind of phone call that is most likely to happen. My clients get more sales calls from Yelp or clutch then they do legit inquiries.

I don't really want to respond too much, because as I mentioned I'm a skeptic.

I would rather cheer you on then rain on your parade. Just go do your thing. Talk to people. Learn. Grow. Iterate.

And if all else fails, pivot. Lol.
When I make calls on Saturday do you think I should I should pitch then on what I’ve already put together or ask them what they’d be willing to pay for?

For example, I could call and say “hey, this is what we’re doing. Do you want it?”

Or, I could say “hey, this is what we’re thinking about doing. What need to happen in order for you to want it? Can we work something out?”

I feel like if I do the second option they’re just gonna say we want everything for free. Lol.

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Why don't you take the calls or do the callbacks? Pre-qualify them, help them, learn more about them and how they found the site and what other options they've considered or found. Then you can make the call to the best located directory member and sell them the lead much better?
That’s an option

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Do y

When I make calls on Saturday do you think I should I should pitch then on what I’ve already put together or ask them what they’d be willing to pay for?

For example, I could call and say “hey, this is what we’re doing. Do you want it?”

Or, I could say “hey, this is what we’re thinking about doing. What need to happen in order for you to want it? Can we work something out?”

I feel like if I do the second option they’re just gonna say we want everything for free. Lol.
What if you rang saying "I have a lead. Jenny is looking for X to start on Y date in Z location. Do you know someone who can help her?"

JamesAnnaLee

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Oct 9, 2022
Thanks for sharing...

Seems that your coming to the pay-per-lead model but at the moment with the middle man of pay-per-phone call. Reading between the lines it seems that's the focus on the phone call rather than a lead perhaps is to make you feel better about helping generate a lead for the business that you don't feel so good about? (Maybe I'm reading that wrong)

The fact is at the moment you and your website are generating leads for these businesses - although hopefully with the reviews they can make a better choice - great. And you're doing it almost for free.

A phone call, web booking form or premium listing are all there to get a lead and In the end, get their business. Is there any difference in being paid for a PRO listing or a lead - I'd suggest not?

Between somebody viewing your site and calling the number or sending the company an email and making a booking is where to money is being transferred, at the moment you're not taking a share, instead it's going into the pockets of the industry you think is shady. The people on your website will likley make a booking with or without your assistance

If I was in your shoes I'd have a form on each property page tomorrow saying "Request to book" they would enter the dates they want to stay, and their contact details and submit. I'd then take those details send them onto the owner and obsfuscate out the details... "We have a lead for your from James An***** (078544****) with a desired more in date of x/x/2022" Click here to view the full details (subject to a $X/X% lead commission upon move-in date).

Once that's working you can figure out how to monetise the call route - maybe that's like @Andy Black says providing the Pre-qualifcation & helping the customer out some more. Or maybe it's just by switching to a "Request a call back" where you can do a similar thing to the "request to book" form or just charging to have a phone number accessible.

You could have it in your terms that the business needs to confirm if the lead was successful (and needs to be paid commision) - You'll also have the leads details so you can either call or message to see if they were successful in finding a place & if they did add that commission to your invoice.

If you don't get in the middle of the customer & the end business - this transaction is going to happen without you no extra "funnelling" is required. You'll just end up linking them together for free instead of getting paid.

Apologise if my thoughts are a little scrambled.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The pre-qualification step I'm suggesting is mostly so you speak to both sides Sonny. And so you don't speak to vendors cold without a lead. Do it by hand first so you have intimate knowledge of the process and your clients, before delegating or automating

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
What if you rang saying "I have a lead. Jenny is looking for X to start on Y date in Z location. Do you know someone who can help her?"
I’ve experimented with only having my number on the website so I can talk to both sides of the market. The people in need are usually in a really bad jam and don’t have a lot of money at all (that’s why they’re using these service providers). These people usually go to the first place recommended to them (hence the idea for a review site). And quite often these people aren’t a good fit for a service provider for one reason or another, so the service provider has a low conversion rate.

My phone would ring, I’d get an idea of the persons situation, and then I’d call 12 different service providers on my website, 4 would answer, and 2 would be willing to talk to the lead to schedule a tour.

I’d give the service provider the lead’s number and they’d call the lead back. I think I did this for 6 people and only 1 actually ended up moving in. I didn’t charge anybody for the lead ahead of time because I didn’t want to hear them be like… “I paid you and nothing happened.”

This was a huge hassle that was remarkably frustrating.

Not only that, but the state I live in has been trying to pass a law so websites like mine legally have to have the phone number go to the designated service provider and not a third party.

This was a huge hassle that was remarkably frustrating.

One lady called me, I set a couple tours up for her, she didn’t go to any of them.

Another kid got a tour lined up, showed up, saw the place, and left immediately. He texted me back and was like “I’m just gonna stay where I’m at.”

Another person hit me up, I told a service provider, and word got around who the guy was and all the service providers were like, “nah, we’re good.”

I remember I talked to one guy and told him to call a place and never heard anything back. Turns out, he ended up moving in and all is well.

Connecting people in this market is very difficult because there are so many variables. I don’t want to be the in-between guy, I just want to give people awareness of what is out there and let them put the effort in. My website does that right now.

The power dynamic is definitely in the hands of the service providers because the hardest part of their job is screening for the right people… and I can see why. This isn’t a one-size-fits-all kind of a thing. I just want to help their phone ring. But I don’t know how much that is worth.

Last edited:

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Thanks for sharing...

Seems that your coming to the pay-per-lead model but at the moment with the middle man of pay-per-phone call. Reading between the lines it seems that's the focus on the phone call rather than a lead perhaps is to make you feel better about helping generate a lead for the business that you don't feel so good about? (Maybe I'm reading that wrong)

The fact is at the moment you and your website are generating leads for these businesses - although hopefully with the reviews they can make a better choice - great. And you're doing it almost for free.

A phone call, web booking form or premium listing are all there to get a lead and In the end, get their business. Is there any difference in being paid for a PRO listing or a lead - I'd suggest not?

Between somebody viewing your site and calling the number or sending the company an email and making a booking is where to money is being transferred, at the moment you're not taking a share, instead it's going into the pockets of the industry you think is shady. The people on your website will likley make a booking with or without your assistance

If I was in your shoes I'd have a form on each property page tomorrow saying "Request to book" they would enter the dates they want to stay, and their contact details and submit. I'd then take those details send them onto the owner and obsfuscate out the details... "We have a lead for your from James An***** (078544****) with a desired more in date of x/x/2022" Click here to view the full details (subject to a $X/X% lead commission upon move-in date).

Once that's working you can figure out how to monetise the call route - maybe that's like @Andy Black says providing the Pre-qualifcation & helping the customer out some more. Or maybe it's just by switching to a "Request a call back" where you can do a similar thing to the "request to book" form or just charging to have a phone number accessible.

You could have it in your terms that the business needs to confirm if the lead was successful (and needs to be paid commision) - You'll also have the leads details so you can either call or message to see if they were successful in finding a place & if they did add that commission to your invoice.

If you don't get in the middle of the customer & the end business - this transaction is going to happen without you no extra "funnelling" is required. You'll just end up linking them together for free instead of getting paid.

Apologise if my thoughts are a little scrambled.
Thank you for your feedback.

I experimented with a lead form. That was cool because I had names, and call back numbers.

The lead would come to my email. And I’d copy the lead info and text it to the service provider at no charge. Their was several times I wouldn’t hear anything back. Not a confirmation that they got the email, not a thank you; nothing. And I wasn’t sure if the lead even received a phone call back.

I’d reach out to the service provider I gave the lead to and they’d say “yeah we called them but they didn’t answer.” So I didn’t feel right charging them anything.

I know this market prefers a phone call. I think the users prefer being able to just call the place directly too. It saves everyone time and is more convenient.

With my website, people are more informed about the place they’re calling before they make the phone call.

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
This market prefers to get the phone calls directly themselves without my screening them. With this law the state is trying to pass, and given how much of a hassle it is being the in-between guy, I’d prefer they get the phone calls directly too. And the users prefer being able to just call and talk to the service provider anyway. Quick and convenient.

If I say “you only get charged when you receive a phone call” they’d be more willing to do that, as long as we can agree on what a qualified call is. Which unless I have a some kind of recording, I really won’t know if it’s qualified.

But they’d definitely be willing if I said “you only pay when someone moves in.” This would be a game-changer. Which would require me following up with the caller and asking if they moved in.

I can track the phone number that called, and every Saturday follow up with them to see if they moved in and paid. If so, I can call the Operator and be like, “hey, I know John Doe found your service and contacted you through our website service. We know he moved in and paid you $X dollars.” If you would like to continue using our service, click the link below to submit your $198 placement fee. We will use the card on file for future placements. You only pay when someone moves in and places a deposit with you. Otherwise we will remove your contact information from our website.”

Funny thing is, I remember offering this to a service provider and they said they’d pay me $25 if the person moved in. I immediately decided not to do this because that’s just not enough money. I’d want at least $150 and even that’s cheap, because these people charge like $700-$800 a month per person that moves in. Granted the turnover rate is high, but some people end up staying for like 6 months.

Each service provider provides a huge variation of pricing. I’d rather have an agreed upon amount ahead of time though. I think pricing tiers is the way to go:

Pricing tiers
Under $1,000 -> $198
$1,000–$1,500 -> $298
$1,500+ -> $398

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
I’ve had a lot of conversations directly with the market. Their responses are usually:

“I want to the calls to go directly to me.”

“I don’t want to be on a review site.”

“We don’t do this for the money.”

“We haven’t gotten anything from your site yet.”

“I can afford $30-$50 a month, but it’s not worth it if you’re not getting enough traffic.”

Good places want to help people. I require payment for the same reason they do: there is value being provided. If an Operator doesn’t see the value in my website helping them help more people, then they must not be interested in helping more people. And are therefore not as good of a service provider as I thought they were. If that’s the case, I don’t want to send people to them anyway.

After I follow up with the user to see if they move in, I can text them for feedback on the website and a link to review their experience with the service provider… and encourage them to write a review at any time.

What if a someone says they moved in and the service provider says they didn’t?

I guess I’ll just deal with that when it happens.

Value first… “John Smith deposited X dollars on this date, our commission fee is $198. If you would like to continue receiving residents, please click the link below to deposit your funds. Otherwise, ignore this message and we will remove your phone number from SLR.”

This way I don’t gotta be the middle man. I don’t gotta broker between people and deal with that nonsense. Ops get the calls directly which is what they want. Users can just call easily, which is what they want. It stays legal regardless of what the state decides to do. I can provide value first. I can deal with the lead directly to encourage reviews and get feedback and know if they paid. And the op only pays if they receive money, which is what they want. And $198 flat fee is super cheap. And I can track results easy.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.