• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Influence, The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it and let's discuss!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion(Review | Discuss)

Andy's Inbound Braindump

Discussion in 'Advertising, Marketing, Social Media' started by Andy Black, Nov 12, 2018.

1. ChristianS

ChristianS New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $96
    Really great content! In Germany now some gurus are telling you how to found an agency. Never bought a course, but what I saw in testimonials I think it is exactly this knowledge where they want XXXX € for.

Another question, I know it is kind of BS in my head but....

What if you choose, that you want to do something else? I think you can't easily get out of this because there are clients depending on you. In your posts I read that sometimes you are so full with orders, that you can't onboard new clients. I also think this business is hard to scale, because if you want, you need to found an agency. I don't now how it is in Ireland, but in Germany it would be hard to find employees with the needed skills. So don't you have fear to be stuck in forever?

I think I have to get inside to read all your posts there sometime.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Andy Black likes this.
  2. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $182,311
    Thanks. I'm glad it helps.

I'm with you. I have no intention of building an agency.

Read "Built to Sell" too.

3. ChristianS

ChristianS New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $96
    Ordered, thanks!

Kak likes this.
  4. Kak

Kak Capitalist Swine Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $26,600
    This thread has some seriously GOLD networking advice in it.

Thank you very much Andy! Word of mouth guys like @Andy Black have some of the most impressive lead gen models. It is also an extremely solid foundation to build a business on which I am ALWAYS in favor of.

5. Yzn

Yzn Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $411
    Dude this thread is one of the best out there. Keep dumping!

Andy Black and Kak like this.
  6. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $182,311
    Thanks @Kak

I find it interesting that I’m known as an “AdWords Guy”, and some people think I should therefore use AdWords to grow my business.

AdWords is a way to get found by people who don’t already know you. I consider it the purest form of cold traffic because they’re searching when they find you.

It still doesn’t beat warm leads and word of mouth referrals though.

I think the trick is to master warm, then go to the cold channels. If you can’t sell to someone who’s been referred to you, then how can you sell to someone who has never heard of you?

What really tickles me is how we’ve sold over 40 landing pages without having a landing page to sell them from. And that I still don’t have a website to speak of, just a holding page for my business, and a personal branded domain that redirects to my LinkedIn profile - and I’m in the digital marketing space!

7. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $182,311
    This reminds me of this thread:

8. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $182,311
    A website designer I'm chatting to found this highly amusing. This is my business website. It's a holding page - a polite "bugger off if you don't already know me".

It's been like this for years. I'll make it a bit prettier this week, but I'm not adding any more copy to it.

Why have I never got round to it? Because I've found the best lead generation strategy for my own business is to spend all my time generating leads for my client businesses. AKA I focus on building relationships, doing good work, and word-of-mouth referrals.

Not advising that this is the only way to do things of course. Just showing you that you don't "need" as much as you think to get clients.

[​IMG]

Raoul Duke, Sheens, Smuggo and 3 others like this.
  9. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,083
    [​IMG]

Andy Black likes this.
  10. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $182,311
    A GOOD USE OF YOUR LUNCH BREAK

A few of you good folks are in jobs trying to get traction with your side hustle. Here’s what worked for me when I had a couple of Google Ads jobs:

I’d let people meet me to pick my brains about Google Ads. They’d ask if I could meet them and I’d say I’m working but could meet for lunch.

They’d offer to come to a pub near me for that lunch (which gave them more time with me than me traveling to meet them).

Invariably they bought lunch, which I always thought was a nice touch.

Once time the CEO of a company came along accompanied by the marketing director, finance director, and an IT person. So it was me sat with four suits, each of them with a pad and pen taking notes. They had a coffee and I had a big pub lunch. Ha... that must have been quite a sight.

Anyway, how it works is that you give 100% of the best advice you can in that hour. There’s no pitch. There’s no product or service for sale. Don’t even give them your website or email address unless they ask for it.

See it as practice at being a consultant. See how you can solve their problems in one hour, and by finding the single one thing that would make the most difference.

Guaranteed you’ll learn more than them if you’re listening to their problems and can figure out a process for them to find a solution.

Keep doing this and you’ll get slicker talking to folks.

People will start contacting you with messages like “Bob said you’re good at Google Ads. I’m wondering if we could meet up for a quick chat?”

I’ve since heard this called “diesel and coffee”. Meet folks for a coffee. Somewhere neutral, and for about an hour.

Talk shop. Shoot the breeze. Do NOT make it a sales call.

Enjoy it.

Good things will happen.

I still do this. More often it’s a Skype call for an hour. I have the mindset of helping folks the best I can, and then moving on. I don’t try to close. I don’t follow up. I create an imbalance in the universe and let it try to right itself.

Raoul Duke, Sheens, Yzn and 2 others like this.
  11. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $182,311
    STOP TRYING TO BE A SALESMAN

How would you say hello to someone at the coffee break when you’re attending a business course with other business owners?

Do that.

Stop with all this awkward throat clearing and value vomiting.

Stop trying so hard to be a “good salesman”.

Just be natural and build relationships like you’ve done all your life.

12. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $182,311
    FOR THOSE INTIMIDATED SPEAKING TO BUSINESS OWNERS

Go book yourself into a local business course. Something you want to know about, and where you’ll meet loads of other business owners who are also trying to learn social media, email marketing, whatever.

You’ll learn stuff.

You’ll have a day out.

You’ll meet some great people.

You’ll also see those fellow business owners are people just you and me.

You may even get some prospects out of it, but that’s NOT the point.

Better would be to start getting known locally as The Web Guy/Gal (or whatever your thing is).

Best is that you walk away realising business is all about chatting to folks and building relationships,

... and that YOU CAN ALREADY DO IT.

13. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $182,311
    ALWAYS BE CLOSING?

If someone asks “Why should we work with you?” then they’ve just pissed me off. They’re running through their nice little questionnaire and will be comparing me to other apples.

So I’ll throw the kitchen sink at them and let them figure the f*ck out what to do with it. But they’re too late, I’ve already mentally shut that door and moved on.

Send in a Request For Proposal (RFP)? See ya.

Sales is a screening process. They’ve just told me they don’t know why they want to work with me. I’d much rather spend my time helping the people in motion.

“Our job is to find the people who see the value in what we do, not the cost.” (Blaise Brosnan)

While you’re trying to close someone who’s not that interested, there’s someone else up the road who’ll bite your hand off to work with you.

Always Be Closing?

I read that as “Keep moving till someone bites your hand off.”

(Your mileage may vary. I’m not selling high-ticket initial sales. I’m building long-term relationships with clients. Over the years it ends up high-ticket.)

luniac and Sheens like this.
  14. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $182,311
    I thought this one was important enough for its own thread, given the number of techies in here:

15. James Fend

James Fend Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,724

jasoncuellar123 and Andy Black like this.
  16. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $182,311
    My personal brandname website redirects to my LinkedIn profile. It’s for when I email someone from andy@andyblack.net. I know some will check out andyblack.net, and I figure they’ll learn what they need from my LinkedIn profile, and that they’re more likely to believe what they read there.

My business website is a pretty holding page. It has a link to a Contact Us form. I think of it like a velvet rope outside an unassuming door down an dark alley. Only people in the know will find it, and only people in the know will contact me through the form. I’ve been meaning to change the copy to “We’re currently not taking on any more clients. Fill in the form if you want a quick chat though.”

Some stories:

1) I worked in a business that spent €120k/day buying Google Ads. All those visitors went to their online properties, none went to their business site, which was pretty sparse. The deals the business owners made were done via diesel and coffee (they went to meet people and had long chats with them).

2) A salesman friend was learning what I do. I was helping him get setup as a self-employed salesman for websites and digital marketing. He started creating a Facebook page for his services. I told him not to bother, and to put all that effort into making sure his client websites worked well. I explained that the best sales strategy was to get unasked for referrals from happy clients, and for visitors to their websites to wonder who built them.

3) I went round in circles for years trying to figure out what to put on andyblack.net and my business website. As soon as I blew them away it freed up my mental energy to just go chat to people. My business has done way better recently just by building relationships and getting referrals. Not one single person in the past 10 years who’s been referred to me has asked why my websites are so simple.

Building your own website is a very inward looking activity. I prefer looking outwards and to focus on helping other people.

jasoncuellar123, MAB1138 and astr0 like this.
  17. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $182,311
    Other reasons I much prefer to start minimal with websites and landing pages:

1) It's quicker to get out of the blocks. Engineers and programmers in particular can get caught up rearranging pixels instead of launching and learning. Copywriters will agonise over every word, sentence, and piece of punctuation. F*ck that. Launch and learn. Put up a strawman and fire some pot shots at it. Add hotjar and observe what visitors do when they hit the page.

2) As a media buyer, the first question I'll ask is "How do the campaigns perform *without* all those fancy distractions on the page?". I'll ask to have them removed so I can get a baseline, then ask to get them added back in to see if they improve performance. So if I'm going to ask to have them removed, we might as well start without them right? ... which leads us back to 1).

3) You're less likely to talk yourself out of the sale when you're visitors want what you're selling and you stfu and let them buy it. I focus on getting the right people to the page initially.

We're doing this for clients, and I'm about to do this for my course.

We setup a simple mobile landing page that has:
    • Company name/logo plus company tagline.
    • One sentence statement.
    • Call to action button to signup to an email series.
    • Links in the footer to Privacy | Terms | Disclaimer | Contact Us (optional)
    We call these info-seeker campaigns/pages/funnels. We focus on getting people who want information to the page, and see if anyone signs up. We don't have any auto-responder series setup before we go live. Why bother until someone signs up? If someone does signup to my own email series then I'll be all over them with a manual email. I'll apologise that we've not got the 7 day email series done yet. I'll try to get into a conversation. I'll send them info that will help them based on what they ask.

After we've gone live (not before!) we'll install Hotjar. If we get visitors and no-one signs up then we'll observe what folks are doing on the page. We'll come up with theories and test them by adding more content to the page and observing how folks interact with that content.

MAB1138 likes this.
  18. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $182,311
    Blimey... something I wrote on LinkedIn over a year ago that popped up on my radar when someone liked it today.

Why does an Google Ads consultant NOT use Google Ads to generate more business for himself?

You may already know I love Google paid search.

It's the purest form of cold traffic because (done right) each visitor not only wants what you're selling but is already actively searching for it.

But paid search is the purest form of COLD traffic - the visitors to your website typically don't know you (unless it was a branded search).

People usually need to know, like, and trust you before they do business with you.

Whenever I have to get more clients quickly, I start with the network of people I've *already* done business with. People who already know, like and trust me, and who've already bought from me.

When I can afford to take my time I plant seeds so new people get to know, like, and trust me.

One day soon I'll use cold traffic to start generating leads for myself, but this comes after years of generating inbound leads by going TO the market and engaging them hand-to-hand.

TL: DR?

Consider the following plan:

1) Use your existing network first.

2) Add to your existing network by doing such a good job that clients refer you on, and by being seen to help folks.

3) Use cold traffic *after* you've worked out how to sell to people who already know, like, and trust you.

The Abundant Man likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.