The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

An Important Reminder: It's Not About What You Like

Prince33

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jun 9, 2020
Latvia
Reminds me of this vid. Why work has to suck.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Burtronnegut

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Dec 5, 2020
United Kingdom
"We do not get to decide what works." - Dane Maxwell

"You have a place in the universe. And that place is not to make the universe be what you want. The place is for you to serve. You serve the moment, you raise the moment, you help, you bring love. You never take. You wouldn't even know what taking means. You have no preference about what that moment is. When you have no preferences, everything is beautiful. The highest life you can live is that every single moment that passes in front of you is better off because it did." - Michael A. Singer

A Quick Thought Experiment First...​

Imagine I'm giving you two businesses.

Business A is a beautiful business. It sells a product you would absolutely use. It ticks all your personal boxes for how a business needs to be set up to work well. Its marketing strategy, its brand, its story—it's so beautiful you could grab some popcorn and sit and watch how beautiful it is.

Business B is a disaster. It sells a product you think is silly. You find the way marketing strategy embarrassing. The brand is ridiculous and you have no idea who would ever buy anything from this business. In fact, it's so bad you don't even want to think about it anymore.

Without extra information, you'd surely go with business A. It seems like a perfect fit for you. There's no way whatsoever it wouldn't work.

And if the world behaved according to our own likes and dislikes, that's what would happen. But surprise! In my completely made up for the purposes of this thread example, it's the business B that's getting all the customers and business A that's struggling. Why? Because what you prefer has no impact whatsoever on whether it works. You don't get to decide which business works because you like it.

A Tough Pill to Swallow...​

As entrepreneurs, we love our ideas. We love our opinions. We love believing in our superiority, that we know better than others. But what we want and don't want has no impact on the world and it doesn't make others want or not want the same things.

As a self-published author, I wrote dozens of books. A few of them produced the vast majority of my income. And the funny part is that most of them—according to me—are some of my worst works. Yet, the world doesn't care about my opinion. The reality is that for some reason, those books appealed to people. Meanwhile, the books I loved writing so much didn't work. There's no right or wrong in business (ethics aside). It either works or it doesn't.

I'd be lying if I said I'm okay with that. There are lots of things I don't like in business (again, ethics aside), yet that work well. It's a work in progress for me, too. It's a lifelong practice. Every day, you work on letting go of your opinions to become more flexible and adapt to the changing world.

You're free not to do the things that you don't like. You don't have to use that new hot platform if you think it's stupid. You don't have to offer a new line of your products that would appeal to a new hungry demographic that you don't like. You don't have to put out a product whose design you hate, even though it seems to work for your competitors. But if you choose not to engage in any of these things, at least admit that YOU are the problem, not the market. Because again: you don't get to decide what the market wants and your preference has no impact either way.

What you like or don't like is irrelevant in business.

If it works but you don't like it, swallow your pride, let go of your opinion, and do it.

If it doesn't work but you like it, swallow your pride, let go of your opinion, and look for something else.

And if it works and you like it, STILL swallow your pride, let go of your opinion, and keep working on it while it's working. Your preference DID NOT make it work. In the end, your only responsibility is to serve your customer. Their needs may change. For now, theirs and yours preferences align but soon they may stop doing so.

If you let your own opinions stop you from doing what works, you may become that person wasting their life stubbornly working on business A. Meanwhile, you could have focused on serving the market regardless of your preferences with business B (and become rich the easier way).

P.S. The more opinionated you are, the more difficult life is in general. When you have strong likes and dislikes, you have a narrow band of experiences when you feel okay. Any situation, person, place, experience that doesn't match your opinions makes you miserable. Opening yourself to all kinds of things, without any judgments, is one of the easiest ways to make your life a whole lot more peaceful.

In all honesty, I struggle with this. I've read MFL, Unscripted and TGRRE and have achieved a little success. Mostly by luck though. If I'd prioritised doing what others want and need I'd be a lot more successful, that's for sure. So I can testify to this from the other side. Don't do WHAT YOU WANT. It will only lead to a little success, if you're lucky.

I'm working on this. I think i spent too long believing my own ideas are so great that I don't need to listen to what others want. Perhaps a better route would be to have no ideas and follow only what the audience I'm serving wants from me.

Thank you for writing this post @MTF - I needed the kick up the arse.

T. Davis

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Nov 24, 2021
Ya, most of the people I talk to who are thinking of starting businesses talk about them like they are hobbies. "I want to do this so I'm going to do A, B, and C."

Um... Good luck with that because what you want to do is irrelevant...

Drchainsaw

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Nov 2, 2021
Thank you for this post I have taken a great deal of insight from it. I've stopped development of my current project recently to get more information on its viability from other people , I know the product is something I'd be willing to pay for but not necessarily other people.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Thank you for this post I have taken a great deal of insight from it. I've stopped development of my current project recently to get more information on its viability from other people , I know the product is something I'd be willing to pay for but not necessarily other people.

Yeah I think it's risky to rely on "I'd buy it." There's a lot of stuff I'd buy but most people probably wouldn't.

Drchainsaw

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Nov 2, 2021
Yeah I think it's risky to rely on "I'd buy it." There's a lot of stuff I'd buy but most people probably wouldn't.
Completely agree, unfortunately this mentality has caused me to be a bit more unconfident about what projects to work on but i think this is probably for the better.

Ytcho's

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Nov 9, 2021

"You have a place in the universe. And that place is not to make the universe be what you want. The place is for you to serve. You serve the moment, you raise the moment, you help, you bring love. You never take. You wouldn't even know what taking means. You have no preference about what that moment is. When you have no preferences, everything is beautiful. The highest life you can live is that every single moment that passes in front of you is better off because it did." - Michael A. Singer

Business A is a beautiful business. It sells a product you would absolutely use. It ticks all your personal boxes for how a business needs to be set up to work well. Its marketing strategy, its brand, its story—it's so beautiful you could grab some popcorn and sit and watch how beautiful it is.

Business B is a disaster. It sells a product you think is silly. You find the way marketing strategy embarrassing. The brand is ridiculous and you have no idea who would ever buy anything from this business. In fact, it's so bad you don't even want to think about it anymore.

Without extra information, you'd surely go with business A. It seems like a perfect fit for you. There's no way whatsoever it wouldn't work.

And if the world behaved according to our own likes and dislikes, that's what would happen. But surprise! In my completely made up for the purposes of this thread example, it's the business B that's getting all the customers and business A that's struggling. Why? Because what you prefer has no impact whatsoever on whether it works. You don't get to decide which business works because you like it.

As entrepreneurs, we love our ideas. We love our opinions. We love believing in our superiority, that we know better than others. But what we want and don't want has no impact on the world and it doesn't make others want or not want the same things.

As a self-published author, I wrote dozens of books. A few of them produced the vast majority of my income. And the funny part is that most of them—according to me—are some of my worst works. Yet, the world doesn't care about my opinion. The reality is that for some reason, those books appealed to people. Meanwhile, the books I loved writing so much didn't work. There's no right or wrong in business (ethics aside). It either works or it doesn't.

I'd be lying if I said I'm okay with that. There are lots of things I don't like in business (again, ethics aside), yet that work well. It's a work in progress for me, too. It's a lifelong practice. Every day, you work on letting go of your opinions to become more flexible and adapt to the changing world.

You're free not to do the things that you don't like. You don't have to use that new hot platform if you think it's stupid. You don't have to offer a new line of your products that would appeal to a new hungry demographic that you don't like. You don't have to put out a product whose design you hate, even though it seems to work for your competitors. But if you choose not to engage in any of these things, at least admit that YOU are the problem, not the market. Because again: you don't get to decide what the market wants and your preference has no impact either way.

If it works but you don't like it, swallow your pride, let go of your opinion, and do it.

If it doesn't work but you like it, swallow your pride, let go of your opinion, and look for something else.

And if it works and you like it, STILL swallow your pride, let go of your opinion, and keep working on it while it's working. Your preference DID NOT make it work. In the end, your only responsibility is to serve your customer. Their needs may change. For now, theirs and yours preferences align but soon they may stop doing so.

If you let your own opinions stop you from doing what works, you may become that person wasting their life stubbornly working on business A. Meanwhile, you could have focused on serving the market regardless of your preferences with business B (and become rich the easier way).

P.S. The more opinionated you are, the more difficult life is in general. When you have strong likes and dislikes, you have a narrow band of experiences when you feel okay. Any situation, person, place, experience that doesn't match your opinions makes you miserable. Opening yourself to all kinds of things, without any judgments, is one of the easiest ways to make your life a whole lot more peaceful.
This post is amazing, thanks for sharing! @MTF

I was thinking about looking for something to do that I really liked because I thought it would be "easier" to perform, the fact is that I don’t even know what I really like because I lived in a Matrix (shadow of others) Until the age of 22, today I have 24 and 2 years frustrated in the affiliate market.

I still have difficulty looking at the world and seeing opportunities because my mind is focused on passive income and not doing things that I find uncomfortable, but now I realize that at first it takes a lot of effort to achieve the ideal.

And when I started it was because of ads I received and not looking for a need and looking for how to solve it.

But I have a question, if I have a personal problem, a pattern that I see in many people (even if they don’t consciously know it) and create something to solve it, would it be viable as a business?

I hope I have spoken correctly, my English is still amateur.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
But I have a question, if I have a personal problem, a pattern that I see in many people (even if they don’t consciously know it) and create something to solve it, would it be viable as a business?

If people aren't aware of the problem, then when selling it you need to educate them on it. This makes it a hard sell.

augustsenna

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 2, 2020
London

Excellent post, thank you so much for sharing!

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
The more opinionated you are, the more difficult life is in general.

Picking one line, totally out of context because it stood out to me.

On the one hand, I struggled in my younger years because my opinions were shit. I knew nothing but had confidence. However, later the same confidence combined with experience led to success. But people who aren't "opinionated" and easily swing from one side to another can't accomplish much either. So I struggle to say whether I agree or disagree with that statement. Be open minded, but have an opinion too. You must. Because if you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything.

Thoughts?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

On the one hand, I struggled in my younger years because my opinions were shit. I knew nothing but had confidence. However, later the same confidence combined with experience led to success. But people who aren't "opinionated" and easily swing from one side to another can't accomplish much either. So I struggle to say whether I agree or disagree with that statement. Be open minded, but have an opinion too. You must. Because if you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything.

Thoughts?

I agree with that. I should have said "the more close-minded you are" as this would be a more accurate statement. You can be opinionated but keep your mind open to changing your opinion if it makes sense.

For example, I was very opinionated about crypto being BS. But thankfully I was exposed to evidence/thoughts that made me change my mind. So you can still swing from one side to another even if opinionated.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Thoughts?
I thought opinionated meant you have strong opinions and refuse to accept they could be wrong? That’s different from just having opinions.

EMH

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
May 27, 2021
New York City
Great post, thank you for making it. Something to keep in mind while fleshing out Fastlane ideas.

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
This is a great point. Imagine you're looking for a birthday gift for your loved one.

If you're egoistic, you'll buy them what you want to give them. That's a great way to give a crappy gift.

If you want to serve them, you'll find out what they love and find the best gift for them, even if you don't like what they like or would otherwise want to give something else.
This is Gold

raylech1986.it

Information Technology (I.T.) Specialist
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Oct 16, 2021
Damn, that is some clean a$$ advice bruh!

raylech1986.it

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Oct 16, 2021
This is so true. Not just in business but in life.

In fact, that's Marc Randolph's (founder of Netflix) whole messaging with his brand.

So the "do what you love" and "passion-to-profit" is non-sense and really messing everyone up. Messed me up for years.

raylech1986.it

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Oct 16, 2021
you can't bend the market to follow your will, your passions, and your preferences
It's almost like trying to surf in the ocean and getting mad with the waves because they don't do what YOU want. LOL!

All you can do is ride it and adapt.

As mentioned before and tailored by me:

"your preferences about the waves have no impact on them."

ASINGH

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Jan 7, 2022
Trinidad & Tobago

This is an excellent piece. Being in Sales, on a daily basis I say, "People are not going to be my way. They are going to be their way and my job is to help and serve, not judge them. I accept them as they are, not as I am."

dr_mahili

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 26, 2020
Tanzania

Thank you for this!

vitalij24

PARKED
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 7, 2022

what books did you write?

raylech1986.it

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Oct 16, 2021
This is an excellent piece. Being in Sales, on a daily basis I say, "People are not going to be my way. They are going to be their way and my job is to help and serve, not judge them. I accept them as they are, not as I am."
You have to be ‘The Guide’.

The customer is the hero - Luke Skywalker - and we are Yoda (the guide).

Story brand by Donal Miller does an amazing job explaining this and validating what you said.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
There's no right or wrong in business (ethics aside). It either works or it doesn't.
Every single point you highlighted is ABSOLUTELY relevant. These are the lessons I learned big time on my journey and my failures along my process spoke it so loudly to me.

This is the be-all and end-all of business, and these are the concepts value is built on. I always remember this.

The businesses booming/thriving during the pandemic are the ones that continue adding value, empowering others and assisting people during an already-difficult experience, offering solutions to the many facets of life.

Thank you for this.

57felix

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Mar 16, 2022
Thanks for your advice. Let us look at life with more benevolent and agreeable eyes, and life will respond to us in the same way. Let's open our hearts and be ready to accept the new things that life offers, we will find life more interesting.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Bump because I also sometimes forget this truth.

raylech1986.it

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Oct 16, 2021
Because what you prefer has no impact whatsoever on whether it works. You don't get to decide which business works because you like it.
MIND FREAKING BLOWN!!!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.