The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Am I in The Desert?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
If you haven't been following my journey you can do it here.

Essentially 5 months ago I built a product called Setsign. This product allows people to display their sets and their availability in the gym to others. I'm trying to market this to gyms on a b2b level so gyms can have these up permanently. Originally I tried to sell it to consumers- people said the idea was genius- and some even signed up for the email form, but I doubt they would actually buy it for themselves due to its clunky form, and others plain criticized it or hated it.
IMG-4331 (1).jpgIMG-4329.jpg
I see a not-so-distant future where a lot of gyms have these and things run much more smoothly than the chaotic and disorganized busy gym environment.

I'm just wondering- am I still in the Desert of Desertification? The one spoken about in UNSCRIPTED ?

I feel so lost sometimes. Like I'm walking through a fog. This project has consumed my life recently. But I am resisting the urge to give up- to move onto something easier and less rewarding. I know this path is right.

I need someone to show me I have hard proof, and maybe that's just the result of me not putting this out there enough. Maybe all I need is to make a few more of these and put them in a gym for people to use.

Maybe I need to seriously step this up.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Apr 27, 2022
United States

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
That's what I thought.

You're fooling yourself into thinking that this is the right path.

You don't actually know. You didn't research it fully or maybe you think the idea is better than it is.

Belief in yourself isn't how you become successful. It isn't even the start of how you become successful.

You become successful by solving a real problem. Plenty of people who didn't believe in themselves, learned to believe in themselves because they solved a problem enough times that people started telling them they are such an excellent problem solver and they're so thankful for the solution to their problem.

If you're not getting any of that kind of feedback, and you've been trying to sell this thing for at least a month, then you haven't made a single sale, I would recommend you quit and move on to the next idea.

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
That's what I thought.

You're fooling yourself into thinking that this is the right path.

You don't actually know. You didn't research it fully or maybe you think the idea is better than it is.

Belief in yourself isn't how you become successful. It isn't even the start of how you become successful.

You become successful by solving a real problem. Plenty of people who didn't believe in themselves, learned to believe in themselves because they solved a problem enough times that people started telling them they are such an excellent problem solver and they're so thankful for the solution to their problem.

If you're not getting any of that kind of feedback, and you've been trying to sell this thing for at least a month, then you haven't made a single sale, I would recommend you quit and move on to the next idea.
I'm going to give it a bit more time, I've only been trying to sell it for about 2 weeks.

Though as painful as it is to hear, you might be right.

This is definitely a real problem, a problem I've heard people talk about. The problem of having someone steal your equipment, or having to awkwardly communicate with someone while you're both wearing headphones, or maybe you're Deaf- and you can't communicate with those who are hearing well.

I want to solve problems for people, I just don't know if this one hurts bad enough for people or gyms to buy.

I have a lot of other ideas that might be viable so I'll post the sketches sometime soon- things that solve issues I've heard people talk about.

What I know how to do is invent. I can build and engineer things in CAD and turn them into physical products, so learning a whole new skillset like code is something I feel like would be super counterintuitive, so I search for things I can solve with a physical product.

But a part of me really hopes I get some kind of pushback soon.

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
I'm going to give it a bit more time, I've only been trying to sell it for about 2 weeks.

This is definitely a real problem, a problem I've heard people talk about. The problem of having someone steal your equipment, or having to awkwardly communicate with someone while you're both wearing headphones, or maybe you're Deaf- and you can't communicate with those who are hearing well.

I want to solve problems for people, I just don't know if this one hurts bad enough for people or gyms to buy.

I have a lot of other ideas that might be viable so I'll post the sketches sometime soon- things that solve issues I've heard people talk about.

What I know how to do is invent. I can build and engineer things in CAD and turn them into physical products, so learning a whole new skillset like code is something I feel like would be super counterintuitive, so I search for things I can solve with a physical product.

Ah, I see myself 1 month ago in you.

Have you, ever once, built a business that is actually solving problems?

I had my FTE, a bad, stingy one. I had prepared my invention, but knew that I would need money to try and get it on the market.

So I... Picked up a squeegee, read a window cleaning guide from @piano, and went window cleaning.

You wouldn't believe how much you fail by trying to solve even a simple problem. Sales, many-many rejections, and it all feels vain...

So, have you, ever once, solved tons of simple problems for people? If not, than you have to start thinking...

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Apr 27, 2022
United States

I had my FTE, a bad, stingy one. I had prepared my invention, but knew that I would need money to try and get it on the market.

So I... Picked up a squeegee, read a window cleaning guide from @piano, and went window cleaning.

You wouldn't believe how much you fail by trying to solve even a simple problem. Sales, many-many rejections, and it all feels vain...

So, have you, ever once, solved tons of simple problems for people? If not, than you have to start thinking...
This isn't a money issue, I can actually produce these myself until I get injection molding.

And yes I have. I used to do car detailing and actually made pretty good money, but I turned away to invest my time into this. I thought this was a good practical solution to an obvious problem. Maybe I was misguided but I don't know.

The prototyping stage took forever just because translating a digital object to a working physical one takes forever. It went through about 10 versions.

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
This isn't a money issue, I can actually produce these myself until I get injection molding.

And yes I have. I used to do car detailing and actually made pretty good money, but I turned away to invest my time into this. I thought this was a good practical solution to an obvious problem. Maybe I was misguided but I don't know.

The prototyping stage took forever just because translating a digital object to a working physical one takes forever. It went through about 10 versions.
Have you're tried selling it to gym equipment websites?
You know, the places where gym owners buy equipment?
Yeah, there.

If I am to be asked, i would just want those all over the place in the gym, magnetic(attached to metallic surfaces)

Try to set up deals with those manufacturers then... Maybe.

That said, how much does it cost?

How much value-vouchers are people ready to trade for your service?

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
Have you're tried selling it to gym equipment websites?
You know, the places where gym owners buy equipment?
Yeah, there.

If I am to be asked, i would just want those all over the place in the gym, magnetic(attached to metallic surfaces)

Try to set up deals with those manufacturers then... Maybe.

That said, how much does it cost? 7$?
To make? It costs me like $3 right now due to printing constraints. But the selling price for bulk is probably going to be around $7-10.

Kalactose

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jan 21, 2022
Just try your best to sell one. Just one. Selling just one will regain your confidence and give you new strategies.

If not give a few for free and understand what your customers think of your product. If they are not extremely enthusiastic of your product and not just saying "It's good", then I'll recommend you to switch lanes.

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
Just try your best to sell one. Just one. Selling just one will regain your confidence and give you new strategies.

If not give a few for free and understand what your customers think of your product. If they are not extremely enthusiastic of your product and not just saying "It's good", then I'll recommend you to switch lanes.
I'll give this a shot. Thank you.

If it doesn't work out I'll post other ideas I have on here.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

Hey, I get it. It's a real problem.

But is it a real problem that someone would actually pay money to solve?

Keep trying, but if this was going to turn into a fast lane enterprise, then people would be buying it pretty quick.

Maybe it's the marketing. Keep working on it keep trying new things.

But if you continue to make no sales, the market is speaking.

Maybe you go back to the drawing board and try to solve this problem another way.

Or maybe you move on to a different idea.

Either the way you should be proud that you made it this far. This is more than 95% of people on this forum get to.

You are building skills that will serve you in the future.

Buddy it's really cool that you got to the point of making money.

But you're starting to sound like a smoker who quit smoking and now you're telling everybody else how to live their lives and be healthy. This is the fifth post I've read by you where you talk about your recent epiphany on making money.

We get it. You made money and had a revelation. It is really cool and we are all happy for you.

Just please don't act like your path is the path that everyone should go down.

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
If I were you, I'd try social media advertising. Like 99% of gym users use shorts or Instagram or often times both lol...
If you have an influencer who really hates that problem (that you solved) or who simply likes it, you can send them a few and they'll love to talk about it (because it's easy/free content for them).

Besides that, what if you simply gave a free sample to a gym? What if you filmed that place and showed something awesome or something like that? If you then post that, perhaps people will share it a lot and if you're really lucky, a gym youtuber or technically even Joe Rogan if you're really really lucky will see it and talk about it. Or... you find out where the gym influencers go and gift your product there...

In case you didn't know btw, Japan's gym culture is VERY introverted. If they don't already have such a feature, they for sure will love your product. The Jalapenos really like to innovate after all.

Just a bit that comes from the top of my head, I hope it helps!

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
Nobody has handed you over cash showing that they would pay you in exchange for your product.

Honestly, I think your product sucks.

It solves the problem of people waiting on machines but that is such a minor problem. I can easily ask them how many sets they have left in 2 seconds.

I don’t see anyone using it in a gym. I know I definitely wouldn’t want to get up from the leg press and change my sign after every set. Since no one is going to care to change it, it’s gonna cause even more mayhem since the signs will all be incorrect.

Lesson learned:
Get direct evidence people will pay for your product first before spending tons of money and time on it.

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
Hey, I get it. It's a real problem.

But is it a real problem that someone would actually pay money to solve?

Keep trying, but if this was going to turn into a fast lane enterprise, then people would be buying it pretty quick.

Maybe it's the marketing. Keep working on it keep trying new things.

But if you continue to make no sales, the market is speaking.

Maybe you go back to the drawing board and try to solve this problem another way.

Or maybe you move on to a different idea.

Either the way you should be proud that you made it this far. This is more than 95% of people on this forum get to.

You are building skills that will serve you in the future.

Buddy it's really cool that you got to the point of making money.

But you're starting to sound like a smoker who quit smoking and now you're telling everybody else how to live their lives and be healthy. This is the fifth post I've read by you where you talk about your recent epiphany on making money.

We get it. You made money and had a revelation. It is really cool and we are all happy for you.

Just please don't act like your path is the path that everyone should go down.
Hm. Yes. Sorry.

Considering the fact how much trouble I myself have now, it's almost funny.

Will do.

That said, to solve problems and to help people is the foundation of success - one that if one doesn't grasp I

After a long thought, I merely tried to tell a solution to people who suffered what I have suffered.

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
Nobody has handed you over cash showing that they would pay you in exchange for your product.

Honestly, I think your product sucks.

It solves the problem of people waiting on machines but that is such a minor problem. I can easily ask them how many sets they have left in 2 seconds.

I don’t see anyone using it in a gym. I know I definitely wouldn’t want to get up from the leg press and change my sign after every set. Since no one is going to care to change it, it’s gonna cause even more mayhem since the signs will all be incorrect.

Lesson learned:
Get direct evidence people will pay for your product first before spending tons of money and time on it.
Though that's your opinion on the product, not the market's.

By the way, getting to the point where it was actually functional, looked nice, and didn't look like a flat piece of plastic took months so I couldn't exactly "get direct evidence that people would pay for it" without people questioning what it even was or what it did. With the model I have now, I show it to people and they instantly get it.

The real lesson learned: building a physical product can often be months to years of research and time without a paycheck, but I'm totally okay with that.

Alright, maybe I need to take criticism better. I'm going to make a post on possible other inventions I've come up with.

Last edited:

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
I personally think, if you don’t get a sale in like a week or two, you might have to just abandon the idea.

I go to the gym but I mean I probably won’t use this, IMO I’d prefer talking to someone.

I can just ask them how many sets they have left, it’s not that awkward or scary.

I don’t know for the rest of the gym goers though.

This, just seems like a way to create more social isolation.

Creating something so you don’t have to talk to people?

Who knows, I might just laugh with someone when the ask me for how many sets I have left and they trip or something.

We might just joke around, I might even get a new gym bro.

Overall though, just how I see it.

Best of luck to you though I won’t be using this product.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
By the way, getting to the point where it was actually functional, looked nice, and didn't look like a flat piece of plastic took months so I couldn't exactly "get direct evidence that people would pay for it" without people questioning what it even was or what it did. With the model I have now, I show it to people and they instantly get it.
Bullshit.
You could have built a prototype yourself with wood, a saw, some metal bearings/sliders and a bit of paint. One of those would at max cost you one day and they would for sure look better than those plastic looking things.
"I couldn't get evidence for people paying it"
Do you know what @Andy Black once did? He simply asked online in a post. I don't remember which thread it was but basically he just asked something online and many people liked the idea. He collected their emails and got right to work iirc.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
If you haven't been following my journey you can do it here.

Essentially 5 months ago I built a product called Setsign. This product allows people to display their sets and their availability in the gym to others. I'm trying to market this to gyms on a b2b level so gyms can have these up permanently. Originally I tried to sell it to consumers- people said the idea was genius- and some even signed up for the email form, but I doubt they would actually buy it for themselves due to its clunky form, and others plain criticized it or hated it.
View attachment 50459View attachment 50460
I see a not-so-distant future where a lot of gyms have these and things run much more smoothly than the chaotic and disorganized busy gym environment.

I'm just wondering- am I still in the Desert of Desertification? The one spoken about in UNSCRIPTED ?

I feel so lost sometimes. Like I'm walking through a fog. This project has consumed my life recently. But I am resisting the urge to give up- to move onto something easier and less rewarding. I know this path is right.

I need someone to show me I have hard proof, and maybe that's just the result of me not putting this out there enough. Maybe all I need is to make a few more of these and put them in a gym for people to use.

Maybe I need to seriously step this up.

Cool idea but that doesn't mean it's worth paying for.

Why would gyms care? It's really not their problem who is using the machines and for how long, and they employ people to enforce rules anyway. The most successful gyms are not actually concerned with stuff like this, they charge for memberships & they would rather people not show up at all. If they show up, great, but they're not that concerned with whether or not they have to wait another 5 minutes to use the machine they want.

Why would someone working out care? They'll just tell people coming up to them how many sets they have left. Some people don't want to be bothered after a hard squat session but... eh? It's really no big deal.

Some people want to reserve equipment for supersets. But (1) in many gyms that's not even allowed anyway so having something that encourages that kind of behavior is a net negative for them, (2) most people don't even do supersets and of those who do, they'll usually do something they can do in one spot (bicep curl then pull-up for pre-fatigue, or pull-up then dip for agonist/antagonist), and (3) they can just leave their shit (backpack, water bottle, towel, etc) in a spot and 99% of people won't bother with it and will just assume it's taken.

Why would equipment manufacturers care? It doesn't make their product better or improve the results people get.

Just because people like something doesn't mean they have an incentive to pay for it.

My opinion: this ain't it. This isn't a "bleeding neck" that people need patched up tout-de-suite, this is a minor niggle that people will complain about but not do anything to solve because it's simply so minor.

Also, your product doesn't even solve the problem. People don't even care enough to put their weights back in the right spot, or put away their cable attachments, or reset the bench back to flat from incline... do you think they're gonna change the thing back from "taken" to "free" every single time?

Don't quit, though. You're 18 and you learned something. Now go use the same process for something that actually solves a real problem that people WANT to give you money to fix.

Nightwolf

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Mar 15, 2023
Though that's your opinion on the product, not the market's
That can very well be the markets opinion. He is a person who goes to the gym, essentially a member of target audience. It can be difficult to take criticism against something you worked so hard for, but truths are often harsh.

You need to come to terms with the fact that this venture might fail. You might think that you put so much time and energy into this and it all went to waste. Let me tell you, it didn't. You learned many things during this, like how to build a website, how to turn a digital product into a physical product, outreach, cold call/mail. These are essential for any business that you may start later.

Do not be discouraged Aiden! No one here wants you to fail. We all want you to succeed and help you (and perchboy always spawns with some harsh truths, he helped me a lot though).

For now, try to sell the hell out of it. If you can, amazing! And if you can't, even better! You got to learn. You either win or you learn.

Belief in yourself isn't how you become successful. It isn't even the start of how you become successful
GOLD btw

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
Alright, I think get it now

Look all of this hurts my ego a bit, but I think this is part of my growth. You think what you're building is this infallible god of a product that solves this huge issue, but ultimately it's the market's choice.

It's maybe not worth to keep pursuing it because the benefit is minimal.

I have a few other ideas for things that might be better to invest my time in that I will post in another thread, things that might actually help people in larger ways and evoke an instant reaction out of people.
Cool idea but that doesn't mean it's worth paying for.

Why would gyms care? It's really not their problem who is using the machines and for how long, and they employ people to enforce rules anyway. The most successful gyms are not actually concerned with stuff like this, they charge for memberships & they would rather people not show up at all. If they show up, great, but they're not that concerned with whether or not they have to wait another 5 minutes to use the machine they want.

Why would someone working out care? They'll just tell people coming up to them how many sets they have left. Some people don't want to be bothered after a hard squat session but... eh? It's really no big deal.

Some people want to reserve equipment for supersets. But (1) in many gyms that's not even allowed anyway so having something that encourages that kind of behavior is a net negative for them, (2) most people don't even do supersets and of those who do, they'll usually do something they can do in one spot (bicep curl then pull-up for pre-fatigue, or pull-up then dip for agonist/antagonist), and (3) they can just leave their shit (backpack, water bottle, towel, etc) in a spot and 99% of people won't bother with it and will just assume it's taken.

Why would equipment manufacturers care? It doesn't make their product better or improve the results people get.

Just because people like something doesn't mean they have an incentive to pay for it.

My opinion: this ain't it. This isn't a "bleeding neck" that people need patched up tout-de-suite, this is a minor niggle that people will complain about but not do anything to solve because it's simply so minor.

Also, your product doesn't even solve the problem. People don't even care enough to put their weights back in the right spot, or put away their cable attachments, or reset the bench back to flat from incline... do you think they're gonna change the thing back from "taken" to "free" every single time?

Don't quit, though. You're 18 and you learned something. Now go use the same process for something that actually solves a real problem that people WANT to give you money to fix.
I appreciate all of you, even the people that may have said some harsh words because it's what I needed to get out of this delusion. You're some of the only people that understand in this world of followers.

I have learned some very very valuable skills now though. I can build anything I want using CAD now. I know how to use online marketing platforms and how to create content. I'm sure this will come in handy.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

Look all of this hurts my ego a bit, but I think this is part of my growth. You think what you're building is this infallible god of a product that solves this huge issue, but ultimately it's the market's choice.

I have a few other ideas for things that might be better to invest my time in that I will post in another thread, things that might actually help people in larger ways and evoke an instant reaction out of people.

I appreciate all of you, even the people that may have said some harsh words because it's what I needed to get out of this delusion. You're some of the only people that understand in this world of followers.

So next steps (just so you don't sit there and mope and waste time because you lose confidence):

1) What do gymgoers actually want out of their time in the gym?

2) What problems get in the way of getting the results they want? How badly do these problems affect what they want?

3) What solutions already exist for solving those problems?

4) What do people not like about these solutions? What do people LOVE about these solutions?

This is high leverage thinking that will get you moving. The faster you can try again, the better. Settle for being directionally correct. You won't know all the answers, not until you've sold some and gotten direct feedback. Get to a yes.

You got this.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Do you know what @Andy Black once did? He simply asked online in a post. I don't remember which thread it was but basically he just asked something online and many people liked the idea. He collected their emails and got right to work iirc.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
minor niggle

Uh, I don't think we can say these words... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have learned some very very valuable skills now though. I can build anything I want using CAD now. I know how to use online marketing platforms and how to create content. I'm sure this will come in handy.

I don't know...

I often think people hold onto their ideas too long. And I agree with others who feel they would never buy it and don't think gyms would buy it.

BUT

It's only $11 to buy and I don't think you've truly fully tried to engage the market yet.

Surely some introverted person who hates talking to people at the gym and would prefer it to even being looked at. Might they be interested in something like this?

Alternatively... Market this also as a tracker for older folks who maybe can't remember did I do 2 reps or 3?

Autistic people perhaps? People on the spectrum?

Or just people who hate hitting pause on their music.

It's mostly young dudes responding here. Do young women agree? Could older folks see the value?

That's why I said the issue may be in the way you are marketing this.

Can you make a cheesy video voice over with each of these situations and the person on the machine just points to the tracker?

Make it ironic retro 80's infomercial style to appeal to older folks and the younger folks who like retro stuff.

Run that video for a few weeks on various platforms. Commit to investing $500 or $1000.

Make sure to print the website on the thing to increase word of mouth sales.

And just see what happens. Maybe it is a total waste of money.

There are FOR SURE better l, faster, more high margin ideas you can tackle. But you've come this far. See it through.

Just because everyone here won't buy it doesn't mean no one will. Make sure to at least try to FULLY engage the market before you quit.

Remember that the mouse was invented many years before it became a ubiquitous tool for computing. Many smart people saw its value and several companies tried to sell it before Apple finally succeeded in getting market adoption with it.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What about using it in the gym and seeing if it works and if anyone asks you where you got it?

Or giving some to the gym to give out to see if they go down well and/or what suggestions people have?

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany

I don't know...

I often think people hold onto their ideas too long. And I agree with others who feel they would never buy it and don't think gyms would buy it.

BUT

It's only $11 to buy and I don't think you've truly fully tried to engage the market yet.

Surely some introverted person who hates talking to people at the gym and would prefer it to even being looked at. Might they be interested in something like this?

Alternatively... Market this also as a tracker for older folks who maybe can't remember did I do 2 reps or 3?

It's mostly young dudes responding here. Do young women agree? Could older folks see the value?

Can you make a cheesy video voice over with each of these situations and the person on the machine just points to the tracker?

Make it ironic retro 80's infomercial style to appeal to older folks and the younger folks who like retro stuff.

Run that video for a few weeks on various platforms. Commit to investing $500 or $1000.

There are FOR SURE better l, faster, more high margin ideas you can tackle. But you've come this far. See it through.

Just because everyone here won't buy it doesn't mean no one will. Make sure to at least try to FULLY engage the market before you quit.

Remember that the mouse was invented many years before it became a ubiquitous tool for computing. Many smart people saw its value and several companies tried to sell it before Apple finally succeeded in getting market adoption with it.
E.x.a.c.t.l.y.

I also doubt that that OP really pushed his product very far at all. He probably hasn't pushed it far enough to really decide.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

I don't know...

BUT

Good point.

Maybe there's a different spin on the idea that could work for those groups of people.

Personal trainers often have to reserve equipment for their clients who are doing circuits, might work for them.

It could be used to keep track of workouts, like you said. At my gym there are guys literally in their 90s. They're sharp, but sometimes they forget what they were doing because they were socializing in between sets. If they had something like this, they wouldn't accidentally do too much or too little.

Some people are socially anxious and really don't want to talk to others while working out. For them, the niggle is not minor, but a big barrier to going to the gym and getting the results they want.

Maybe instead of trying to market it to current gym goers, one markets it to people who want to get into the gym but are anxious because of situations that might arise. People will pay for peace of mind even if they never use the damn thing, knowing that they have it just in case might be enough for them.

I'm biased, as someone who has no problem confronting people in the gym when they're in my way, and as someone who has no problem letting people work in with me, I personally wouldn't use it.

The other question is: how many people has OP actually talked to about the idea? He probably just doesn't have much data.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
So the product kind of sucks because it doesn’t solve a very big problem which means it doesn’t provide much value which means you can’t sell it for much which means you can’t spend much on ads and then on top of that it’s for the most expensive and marketed to market there is, fitness

Your cold email sucked, it was way too long

I would have just said hey I have a product which could make members feel more comfortable in your gym and reduce conflicts between members are you interested?

If you sell this on social media the angle of hey are you a shy loser who’s scared of people talking to them in the gym buy this weird looking device to let everyone know isn’t going to work

But you could use the angle of hey are you are real serious lifter who is sick of people interrupting you during your workout, get this product

And have a real jacked power lifter using it

Even just like an average young guy who looks like he lifts to do a voiceover TikTok with broll of him lifting and being interrupted etc

Hey guys I was sick of people interrupting me during my sets I’d have to pause my music and it really ruined the intensity of my workouts until I found this product it’s the set sign it shows people if your equipment is taken and how many sets you have left now no one interrupts me or steals my equipment during supersets anymore and my workouts have been way better so I’m getting way better results it’s 50% off for their launch week which means it only costs $10 and shipping is free which is crazy considering how much it’s improved my workouts get yours at the link below

That angle could work because people will buy it for the first reason but at least they’ll feel like they’re cool like the second angle

Just get a few good videos made, throw a store up, price it at $10, spend as much as you want on ads and if you don’t get a sale move on and get a better idea

The worst thing you could do is spend another 6 months half assing this idea and never really knowing

Last edited:

svekk1

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 9, 2022
A few years ago I was doing crossfit. Just go to a crossfit class and you'll know what I'm talking about, but basically I remember that when doing like a 20 minute Amrap I was pushing myself to the max and was short of breath with sweat in my eyes, it was difficult to remember if I've done 7 or 8 rounds (it's "important" because at the end of class they write everyone's result on a whiteboard for benchmarking).

Also, crossfit has a community, it's more like a cult (there are also memes on the guy who can only talk crossfit). I think that MIGHT work there with a minor modification of the product, but you need to test before, since this can be solved by striking lines on the floor with chalk... I'd not buy that for myself (count that I'm a cheap fck), but if the gym had one i'd have probably used it.

And with testing this comes down to
Lesson learned:
Read the book "The right it" By Alberto Savoia, it contains ways to test an idea before spending too much time/effort/money on it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.