The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Achieve Laser FOCUS + PRODUCTIVITY With The System Legendary Fastlaners Use...

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Look there is a business idea lol
Solving a problem that is not being solved very well...

This has been solved by many other applications, most of which are mentioned here.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
I have been thinking about two things since you posted. The Maker/Manager distinction which I am working on implementing (although i don't think the original purpose lines up with what we are using it for here) and also this spreadsheet view.

Yes, it's similar to mine, grouping tasks by category. I like it better than a big un-ordered list of tasks.

I like Favro better, because the backlog is only a "b" away, no need to tab over to anything.

Favro's got the same calendar function too, although I haven't really gotten into it yet.

I've got my employees hooked on favro too. It's a great way to keep our conversations together by task. Nothing's getting lost. Everything is clear. I assign due dates to the things that must be done by a certain time. The only thing that's not in favro is the day to day shipments, but shopify orders are basically set up like favro/trello cards, and allow tagging of employees and everything else too.

John Walker

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jun 14, 2018
Brazil
@LightHouse
I know you do not use trello anymore, more ...

Every day at the end of the day do you clean the "completed" list by filing all the cards?

What do you do with recurring tasks?

inputchip

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 26, 2017
www.tmkings.com
@LightHouse
I know you do not use trello anymore, more ...

Every day at the end of the day do you clean the "completed" list by filing all the cards?

What do you do with recurring tasks?
Not Lighthouse, but I thought I would share my method.

In the first column which I called "Goals / Habits" I split it into a few sections of short term, medium term, long term goals, and then daily habits. Whenever I do my daily habits I move it into the finished column into the "Daily Wins" section.

At the end of the day I archive my one-time tasks and move my daily tasks/habits back into the first column to be ready for tomorrow.

I can share a screenshot if needed.

John Walker

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jun 14, 2018
Brazil
Not Lighthouse, but I thought I would share my method.

In the first column which I called "Goals / Habits" I split it into a few sections of short term, medium term, long term goals, and then daily habits. Whenever I do my daily habits I move it into the finished column into the "Daily Wins" section.

At the end of the day I archive my one-time tasks and move my daily tasks/habits back into the first column to be ready for tomorrow.

I can share a screenshot if needed.
If you share a screenshot help ...

I've used the Todoist application for a long time, and I'm trying to migrate to Trello.

Trello is not effective in measuring completed tasks, does not have a record of the tasks performed per day, does not have the option of "subtasks" to use in projects. And you do not have the option to use recurring tasks. I did not like the Power-Ups extension.

But I really like Trello's visualization, the visualization of the whole.

EarnStackEnjoy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Mar 10, 2015
Hi everyone. Been following this forum and this thread for a long time! Gold mine.

Started with Trello building up a system and testet Omnifocus (not that appealing) and lately Favro, with I can see the benefits of using. But I've decided to go for Trello for my own productivity system (not managing a team).

I feel I've been coming a long way, but I'm eager to talk to people who are currently using the Trello setup.

Can I find people who want to make this method work and get exchange best practice? PM me.

Andrew W

Be a Provider.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Apr 12, 2018
Hi everyone. Been following this forum and this thread for a long time! Gold mine.

Started with Trello building up a system and testet Omnifocus (not that appealing) and lately Favro, with I can see the benefits of using. But I've decided to go for Trello for my own productivity system (not managing a team).

I feel I've been coming a long way, but I'm eager to talk to people who are currently using the Trello setup.

Can I find people who want to make this method work and get exchange best practice? PM me.

Essentially, I just use the exact setup from the very first post in this thread. Then I sync it up with a tool called pomello that points to my "Today" category. Pomello will setup a pomodoro timer for your task and encourage you to get your task done in 25 mins. Then at the end of the pomodoro you just move the task over to the "Finished" section and you move onto the next task. Repeat ad infinitum until all tasks are done for the day. It makes it super simple to just grind out your day's to-do list. Good luck!

njord

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Nov 24, 2016
Awesome stuf @LightHouse !

Rep sent:)

Im very caotic and after reading the one thing im still having problems keeping an overview of all the things i want done / dont know how to incopiratie it and this looks very very promising and im implenting it now!

Amro

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Oct 5, 2018
Schoorl
Hi,

I love Trello. It's easy to use and keeps you on page of where you are and what you still (a lot) have to do. And offcourse a digital sticky note system is good for the environment. Nice one. Although I have decided to use it somewhat in a different organized way I must thank for the tip though.

To give a view inside my brain and my boards here are my screenshots:

Team Overview

18661-ef9154a6204392c90e9f99731fba7efe.jpg

Management Team Overview

18662-fcd352a504bf7f852d6b7c2e6a630b5b.jpg

Marketing Board Overview

18663-675c5ac5cd7ec87822b775383f1d4ae4.jpg

Thanks for sharing this @LightHouse and will participate in this thread since I find that this is the true essence of success since action is needed to achieve great things!

Regards,
Amro

Attachments

• 2018-10-07 (1).png
    2018-10-07 (1).png
    330.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 2018-10-07 (2).png
    2018-10-07 (2).png
    315.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 2018-10-07 (3).png
    2018-10-07 (3).png
    419.6 KB · Views: 63

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
This Favro (Trello) system worked wonders when the team was remote. I was in Europe for 10 weeks, my guys in the warehouse were running the show state-side.

There were weeks where we didn't so much as send a slack message. It was all Favro baby. Moving cards, adding comments when needed, uploading pics, collaborating, getting shit done.

Amazing way to keep a team organized. It's still a great way to encapsulate new projects, throw a deadline on it, and hand it off to an employee and then I know they've got it on their list, reminding them daily that it's there.

dru-man

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Jun 7, 2013
Southeast Asia
Great thread. Set up this system with Trello and so far really digging it.

Having a problem setting up AutoVoice, though. Was going through the process, but when I tried getting Google Assistant to talk to AutoVoice, it said "AutoVoice isn't available on devices set up for your language or country." I'm living in the Philippines at the moment.

Anyone know if there is another way to get set up for voice that's more accessible?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Great thread. Set up this system with Trello and so far really digging it.

Having a problem setting up AutoVoice, though. Was going through the process, but when I tried getting Google Assistant to talk to AutoVoice, it said "AutoVoice isn't available on devices set up for your language or country." I'm living in the Philippines at the moment.

Anyone know if there is another way to get set up for voice that's more accessible?
Those instructions are wildly out of date and use the now defunct Google voice.

If there is not direct commands by now you can atleast use this

Create new Trello cards by voice, using Google Assistant

dru-man

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Jun 7, 2013
Southeast Asia
Those instructions are wildly out of date and use the now defunct Google voice.

If there is not direct commands by now you can atleast use this

Create new Trello cards by voice, using Google Assistant
Thank you.
That doesn't seem to work for me for some reason, though.
I followed the instructions there, and it says it's turned on, but every time I use the given command, Google Assistant just does a Google search of the sentence.
I've never really used Google Assistant so maybe I'm just missing something obvious?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Thank you.
That doesn't seem to work for me for some reason, though.
I followed the instructions there, and it says it's turned on, but every time I use the given command, Google Assistant just does a Google search of the sentence.
I've never really used Google Assistant so maybe I'm just missing something obvious?
No idea but I'm sure with a little research you can figure it out!

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Just want to share a variation on this that has worked for me.

I recently had to produce a video course in a highly technical topic in software. It required reading source material, turning that into code and exercises for students, all of which had to be original. Then I had to turn that into a script, slides, and video. All of high enough quality to sell to software developers at a $50 price point. In short, a rather large undertaking, particularly for a first time video course producer.

I used a platform called Kanban Flow. It's similar to Trello in that you can divide tasks up into cards, but it integrates a Pomodoro timer as well. If you're not familiar with the Pomodoro technique, it's 25 minutes of focused labor (i.e. deep work) followed by a 5 minute break.

This also allows you to track time spent on tasks, as well as to track Pomodoro output by day, week, and month. This adds a gamification element to it, as you eventually want to keep that number high, for as long as possible.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Time for a revival

Unfortunately I can't update and re-fresh the OP. But i suppose I can make a new V.2 thread. I think most people see the date on this and think it is not relevant, except the same system still works just the same its just a long thread.

I will make a new version of this here soon, along with the accountability partner framework and a few others.

MoneyPhantom

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
Germany
but it integrates a Pomodoro timer as well

For those currently using Asana that just want to try this or don't want to switch: Pomodone. They also provide a nice app which can be always kept in the foreground and features a reminder when the timer is not running.

stnguyenvn

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 28, 2016
Just want to share a variation on this that has worked for me.

I recently had to produce a video course in a highly technical topic in software. It required reading source material, turning that into code and exercises for students, all of which had to be original. Then I had to turn that into a script, slides, and video. All of high enough quality to sell to software developers at a $50 price point. In short, a rather large undertaking, particularly for a first time video course producer.

I used a platform called Kanban Flow. It's similar to Trello in that you can divide tasks up into cards, but it integrates a Pomodoro timer as well. If you're not familiar with the Pomodoro technique, it's 25 minutes of focused labor (i.e. deep work) followed by a 5 minute break.

This also allows you to track time spent on tasks, as well as to track Pomodoro output by day, week, and month. This adds a gamification element to it, as you eventually want to keep that number high, for as long as possible.

For me, trello + pomello is the perfect combination Pomello - Stay focused. Accomplish more.
It let me track podomoro periods per trello task

Artifax

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Sep 19, 2018
There I was googling "the one thing" and "kanban", all I had to do was check out the forum...

Been stuck with mental blocks, excuses, procrastination and action faking for months - since I setup the simple Trello cards from the front of the thread 2 weeks ago, I've broken through it and almost got my flow back. Feels wonderful.

Thanks so much for the thread LightHouse :thumbsup:

G

Guest61362

Thank you!

I had a lot of SimpleNote.com entries lined up with plain-text marks. Like (+) for done, (*) for pending and so on. Now there is a system where to place it all.

These days a lot of tasks make up some digital mess- folders, files, source files, exported files, temporary files. Anyone using an organised system for that? I mean not a third-party application or another OS but how do you name files and folders for quick work-flow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kade

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 6, 2017
France
I used to write everything down into a simple text file with different columns for status ("DONE", "PENDING").

This Trello setup allows me to quickly overview all the pending tasks, the ones I'm currently doing, while also keeping an eye on my objectives. The best features about it are the intuitive design, the plugins that come with it, and the fact that is online, meaning you can watch your "Get Shit Done List" on the phone. At the moment, I'm trying out Trello + Pomello (a pomodoro timer for your tasks, with sound and stats).

Thanks a lot to @LightHouse and everyone contributing here, so much value in this thread.

These days a lot of tasks make up some digital mess- folders, files, source files, exported files, temporary files. Anyone using an organised system for that? I mean not a third-party application or another OS but how do you name files and folders for quick work-flow.

Would also be curious about this !

Jon Foreman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Sep 12, 2017
Netherlands
Ok. I'm giving Trello another shot. I'm using the "Productivity Planner" with mixed results.

What I'm going to do is add the following to the "Goals / Projects / Top" list:

Morning routine:
  • 5-12 minute mediate (Calm / Simple Habit)
  • 3 minute visualizing
  • 3 minute planning for the day (Trello)
  • 5 minute motivational video
Daily tasks:
  • Mailbox / cleaning (2 min)
  • Check ads Google/Bing/Amazon ( 5 min)
  • Check Amazon dashboard (5 min)
  • Look for bugs/typo's on websites (5 min)
  • Duolingo German ( 10 min)

hydemx

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 20, 2018
I've set everything up in Asana.

Being a software developer, I'm very familiar with tools like Trello and Asana, and I must say I'm not a big fan of Trello, even though I've used it several times in the past years. I was very excited to find about Favro, because it's really really cool, and it feels just like the tool I need, however I signed up for a trial and found out that they've removed the single user option. I don't have a team for now, which makes Favro not suitable for me because of the pricing model, but definitely it was an amazing discovery here.

Thanks @LightHouse and all the amazing guys who have contributed to the thread. As an action faker in rehab, I'm focusing on learning the basics of execution.

FinnVenture

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 5, 2018
Thank you Lighthouse for sharing this amazing system and tool! I've been using it for the past 2 weeks and I have been getting a lot done! LIFE CHANGER. Looking forward to combing through the thread for additional tips!

GregDott

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Feb 20, 2018
Eta Carinae
Thanks a ton @LightHouse

I've been using Trello for a while to manage individual projects, but had not even considered a meta-system for managing everything from higher up. I've been managing individual projects fine, but it's the coordination of doing many unrelated projects that I was missing.

Nice that you incorporated the One Thing.

Putting this into practice now!

12B745

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 10, 2017
US
I read a memory book recently, which kind of touched on something in the same vein. Essentially a humans memory can only juggle so many mental tasks at once, and if you don't write it down, that takes mental processing power away. Because while working, you're like, oh yea, doctors appointment tomorrow, have to pick up eggs, need to take out trash tonight. However, when you write it down, either with this system or something else, then that frees up mental capacity for things.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Love hearing your all's feedback on the system (good or bad!) and how you are using it. This is a great feedback loop.

To update on Favro, I talked to their community manager Robin and he said offcially they really do not have an individual plan anymore. I am guessing not cost effective. They will make special exceptions but it didn't sound like it was something they were super thrilled about.

Although I am still using favro on an individual plan, I may dig around and find something similar that has a free tier, or if there are local apps that use trello that would add the extra functionality and then release a second version of this thread. Trello is great because of the integrations from it being so popular, but I think the efficiency of the added features of favro and other programs is what makes them a powerhouse.

If any of you have the time to review some software out there, I'd love to see what you came up with.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.