The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Yet Another Productivity System

Anything related to matters of the mind

vshetty.vs

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Sep 11, 2014
Pune
This forum has given me a lottttt of value over the years, and this is my attempt at paying it forward. If this post is useful to just one person I'll be really happy.

I've seen a couple of successful fastlaners openly discuss their processes to be hyper-productive and becoming efficiency ninjas- The GSD system being the most popular one.

But here's the thing, what works for them probably will not work for you. That's because their process was built specifically for them and their business. Not you.

And maybe it's just me but for the longest time, I always took their instruction to heart. It was always an all or nothing game. So when lighthouse showed his productivity system. I felt like the only way to get things done was to use it exactly as he did

When SinisterLex taught me how to make an income freelancing by providing value. I became a copywriter

It was only after, if found [some] success, that I realized that the best approach is to
  1. Actually take action
  2. Using your brains
The second part is what many people ignore. They(even I) think that if you work hard enough you will be successful. But if that were true, construction workers would be millionaires.

The advice on this forum is pure gold, I cannot even describe in words just how much valuable info is on here. But all of it is anecdotal. It may not work for you and you have to accept that.

I tried to freelance on upwork for a really long time as a copywriter but after not finding much success, I tried to get clients through cold-calling. I changed my niche. Changed my messaging.

The point is, I tweaked my business till it got the results I wanted. I wasn't just stuck on upwork and blaming Lex.

It's just like when you paint, you might all be drawing the same basket of fruits but each artist has to apply the strokes differently.

My Productivity System
With that said I want to jump into the system, I use to get my work done AND focus on the right kind of work.

I have taken a lot of inspiration from the GSD system and MJ's productivity system(on the INSIDERS forum) and kind of tailored it to my needs. Hopefully, you guys find it useful

I wanted to keep things as simple and effortless as possible.At its core are just 2 apps: Google Keep and Google Tasks

Google Tasks
Any task that takes more than 5 minutes goes here. Plain and Simple. Since the task app directly syncs to your gmail, any emails I need to get back to can easily be added as a google task

Similarly, if I add a due date, it's going to sync with my calendar which works great as I can easily plan things.

Overall, google tasks works like a brain dump and keeps my head clear.

The way I organize the tasks is something like this
<CATEGORY>: <TASK>. So a blog article from my client "Andy" would look like "Andy: Blog Article"

Google Keep
Keep.png
I have divided the app into 5 notes
  • Yearly Goal- Set to repeat every 17th December(I don't know why, but for some reason, I decided that I'm going to set my goals for the following year on 17th of December and it's always been like this=)
  • Monthly Goal: Set to repeat on the 1st of every month
  • Weekly Goal: Set to repeat every Sunday
  • My One Thing For the Day: Set to repeat daily at 8 pm
  • Whom Did I help today: Set to Repeat every day at 8 pm
  • Primary Goals
The Yearly Goals will have 1 single goal, I have to achieve by the end of the year. It could be anything. Mostly envision as "How would I want my life to be at the end of this year?"

The Monthly Goals Note, will be just one goal to achieve by the end of the month I will take that gets me closer to my yearly goal

Similarly, the weekly goal is "The one thing I can do that will bring me closer to my monthly goal"

And finally, the daily goal or my one thing is the single most important thing I can do to get me closer to my weekly goal.

I find that breaking a huge yearly dream, into months and then weeks makes it seem a lot more achievable. (Not sure if I got it from the GSD method or came up with it on my own)

Another great advantage of breaking down your goals is that it lets you see your progress.

Finally, the primary goals note is a checklist of 3 things, I hope to complete by the end of the workday.(stole this from GSD) Once the tasks are complete, I pick 3 more tasks and repeat.

Some Common Pitfalls
  • Not making your goals big enough. You want to pick a goal such that if it is the only thing you do. It becomes a successful day/week/month/year.
  • Picking unrealistic goals. On the other hand, you want to make your goals you can realistically expect to reach. Otherwise, you will just find yourself demotivated as you don't meet your checklists
  • Giving up on your goals. This may be relevant to only me but I find that I tend to always chase the next shiny object. So that's why I don't let myself change my goal for the entire year. This way even if I am tempted to try a new business, I need to first achieve the goal I have set for myself.
  • Not being congruent. I try extra hard to make sure that my goal is really important to help my yearly goal. It is very easy to get trapped in action faking here. So you want to focus on ensuring that what you do is actually helping you.

Additionally, I have a secondary goals note for any chores and a good habits note for some habits I'm trying to enforce.

I prefer the google keep and tasks option over a tool like trello because it is a lot more lightweight- My goal was to minimize the effort it took to plan tasks. Trello felt like a really intensive solution to me.
Keep and Google Tasks are extremely minimalistic apps with no extra features. They sync across all my google products, so I can add my task directly from my Gmail

Most importantly, it works for me.

I know this article was really long and if actually managed to read the entire thing. I hope it was useful. You could try out the software and hopefully its useful to you.

TL;DR: Don't blindly follow advice on this forum, use your head.I use google keep and google tasks to get work done. Try it out and see if it helps you boosts your productivity.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Thanks for the post. Some strong takeaways here that I'll be implementing if I can remember lol.

I like the idea of goal stacking: Daily > Weekly > Monthly > Yearly, each one of them builds into the next...genius!

I’m the type to set a lofty goal and then get overwhelmed and never make any progress towards it, so this helps me break it down into small actionable tasks.

So simple yet over time can be very powerful!

vshetty.vs

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Sep 11, 2014
Pune
Thanks for the post. Some strong takeaways here that I'll be implementing if I can remember lol.

I like the idea of goal stacking: Daily > Weekly > Monthly > Yearly, each one of them builds into the next...genius!

I’m the type to set a lofty goal and then get overwhelmed and never make any progress towards it, so this helps me break it down into small actionable tasks.

So simple yet over time can be very powerful!

Yeah, even I used to have the same issue. When I first joined the forum(i think back in 2014). My yearly goal was to retire a millionaire.(how wrong I was)

But you don't become a millionaire immediately, you need to first earn $1, then $10,000 and so on. Breaking down my yearly goals not only helps me build a path to my goal but also helps see how I am progressing and keeps me accountable.

I find that If I plan to make $100K(for instance), I might forget about it until day 350 and then be like "F*ck.. I guess next year."

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Yeah, even I used to have the same issue. When I first joined the forum(i think back in 2014). My yearly goal was to retire a millionaire.(how wrong I was)

But you don't become a millionaire immediately, you need to first earn $1, then $10,000 and so on. Breaking down my yearly goals not only helps me build a path to my goal but also helps see how I am progressing and keeps me accountable.

I find that If I plan to make $100K(for instance), I might forget about it until day 350 and then be like "f*ck.. I guess next year."
0 to 1 million seems pretty far fetched haha

Mine is $10k/mo at this time next year

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.