• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

GOLD! Achieve Laser FOCUS + PRODUCTIVITY With The System Legendary Fastlaners Use...

Discussion in 'Education, Learning, Books' started by LightHouse, Mar 28, 2016.

1. WarWizard

WarWizard Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $30
    LOL, yeah, have had trouble sticking to Trello or for that matter any 'productivity' system.
    recently watched a video where my Kolbe A score might have an answer as to why we 'ADD' types find it difficult to stick to a system.

Here's the video, hope you find it useful. I'm yet to implement the 'Peronal Kanban' style setup, but it is something I'm working towards. ->
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1-_QzoeRdk
    &
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZeAVXI-Mb4

JoeStalin and ahartley like this.
  2. LightHouse

LightHouse Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $25,523
    For those of you that wanted a free Trello alternative, I just saw this one. I have not tried it because Favro works for me, but it may work for some of you.

Zenkit | A beautiful way to organize.

becks22, Invictus, Greg R and 4 others like this.
  3. rogue synthetic

rogue synthetic * Not actually Rutger Hauer Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,418
    This looks nice.

I just finished up trials with Favro and Breeze (which @eliquid recommended upthread). I liked both of them. Favro's basic 5-user plan is a little much for me to justify as a one-man outfit given Trello's free option and Breeze's single-user option.

I never could get their single-user plan to show up for me. It's either well-hidden or they've dropped it. The other thing is that I'm not as bothered by Trello's limitations as some are, though I certainly do like the greater flexibility in these alternatives.

Zenkit does look like a contender here though, especially with that option to import from Trello boards.

Em_Ebert likes this.
  4. hungryhippocampi

hungryhippocampi Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $378
    Did you pilot Zenkit? I would be interested in your thoughts relative to your Favro and Breeze trials. Thanks.

Em_Ebert likes this.
  5. rogue synthetic

rogue synthetic * Not actually Rutger Hauer Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,418
    I'm using it at the moment as a Trello stand-in. Things like board templates and importing from Trello are nice. The free plan allows for up to five team members, which is one of the more generous plans I've seen.

It also has an option to switch between different views on each board, so you aren't stuck with just the kanban cards. You can also view as a calendar, a list, and a mind map -- which sounds really cool, but I haven't really played with it. Even the classic kanban can be tweaked to organize the lists according to different tags or even custom fields you set up.

I don't think any of these features are really deal-makers for me. The platform looks good, and it obviously does a little more than Trello. And keep in mind that I'm hardly a power user on these platforms so I wouldn't be the one to ask about the extra bells and whistles. Take that with a grain of salt.

It's worth a look if you're shopping around, though I'm not sure there's anything in it worth making the jump from Trello or any other platform if you're already invested in one.

Em_Ebert likes this.
  6. I AM THE SENATE

I AM THE SENATE Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $167
    It sounds great, but it just fills me with dread. My slowlane boss micromanages us via calendar and I'm just tired of spending so much time putting every little thing I do on my calendar and time card instead of you know, actually doing the work. This just feels like I'm micromanaging myself and I doubt I could bring myself to do it with my current state of mind.

7. hungryhippocampi

hungryhippocampi Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $378
    Time for a mental shift...each of us is different, but you have to do the things necessary to move you into the fastlane, no matter if you like it or not! You are doing this for YOU, YOUR FAMILY, YOUR FUTURE. This isn't about tracking every little thing/action you take. This is about establishing some powerful fastlane goals, setting yourself up for success to take the right actions at the right time for the right result. Get er done!

Invictus and I AM THE SENATE like this.
  8. business_man

business_man Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $271
    This might be an alternative too: ClickUp | Productivity Platform
    And the price is good too (free for an individual). Did not tested it fully yet, myself, but will give it a go. Although Trello covers my needs for now.

9. silentownage001

silentownage001 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $273
    Having used Trello for a little while now I've found myself to be more productive. It's helped me better see everything I need to do for both businesses and figure out how to prioritize them. I'm also getting 2-3 things done each day consistently.

10. amp0193

amp0193 Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $47,470

First thing back from the summit and I'm taking a day to get my house in order, so re-visiting this thread. The months where I used your Trello system were the most productive I've ever had. I think I gradually stopped using it a year ago as it became more and more cluttered.

I'm liking the features that Favro offers. The additional rows of cards, and collapsible items look like a good way to cut down on the visual clutter.

I'm probably not alone in saying that if you took the time to share your layout/set-up with Favro, it'd be really valuable, even if it's a paid app.

Greg R, jon.M and Kingmaker like this.
  11. Em_Ebert

Em_Ebert New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $31
    Hi RS,
    My name is Eric and I work at Zenkit. If you get a chance to try it out, I'd really appreciate your feedback.

Quick thoughts on why we built it: We always found that Trello cards were getting to long and the board was getting too cluttered, so we wanted to build a way to "view" the core data in different tools. Use a calendar to quickly set dates and use a table to drill down into the numbers.

Andy Black and rogue synthetic like this.
  12. p0stscript

p0stscript Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,225
    Thanks for the heads up.

Andy Black and Em_Ebert like this.
  13. csalvato

csalvato Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $21,828
    @LightHouse Trello has been great but have been betting against some challenges... looks like favro solves them. Specifically, having a mix of big tasks and sub tasks in one board both at the card level doesn’t seem to work. Favro seems to have an easy way to have multiple boards brought together under a single concept or initiative...

Will be moving everything over tomorrow to check it out.

amp0193 likes this.
  14. Em_Ebert

Em_Ebert New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $31
    I'm curious to hear how it goes. Zenkit can do reference fields to connect data across different collections (boards). I think that might work for you and it's free.

If we're missing something, please let us know. We're still developing like crazy and we don't want to miss any key features.

Jordi and csalvato like this.
  15. csalvato

csalvato Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $21,828
    Also looks promising. I’ll check it out tomorrow!

Em_Ebert likes this.
  16. amp0193

amp0193 Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $47,470
    I set up favro yesterday. I put all my tasks in the “backlog” in “tree view”. My tasks are sorted underneath about 15 categories or projects. I really like it.

In trello, I would have everything in one list, with tags, and then would use filters to only see certain tags when I needed them. This was clunky and ultimately just too hard to look at my inbox at a glance.

In the screenshot @LightHouse shared, he had two boards, the Doing & Done board, and a weekly planning one. I thought that idea was brilliant! I’m giving it a try, and my week’s been the most focused I’ve had in a long time. I like that I can hide the weekly board in one click, so that it doesn’t distract or overwhelm me while I’m trying to tackle my 3 things.

The one problem I haven’t solved is how to incorporate long-term planning into this system. Monthly goals or quarterly goals. The “timeline” in favro I don’t think I like. More of a calendar type view I think would be better.

Greg R likes this.
  17. LightHouse

LightHouse Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $25,523
    Awesome to meet you finally BTW. Glad this is working for you, dont stop using it, ever. If it contains everything you know, youll be forced to use it.

As for my favro board, it won't make sense for anyone else because i've tuned it. It still has a the core layout as part of it, but it is a lot less cluttered. Anything that has to pause, like awaiting emails, gets tagged certain colors and moved to a collapse board. It's really quite interesting actually.

The key is to start with the template and modify it until it works exactly how you need it to in the least amount of steps possible.

Great to have you here, are you the founder or an outreach/community guy? If you stick around, esp in this thread, I am sure it will be beneficial to see how our community may leverage your app.

I have loved it since I got on it. I created a windows app that is pinned to my task bar. I essentially have one screen at home and my office dedicated to favro, and the other/others for production.

The screenshots i shared were from google images, but the to-do, doing, and done board is the same as the orgianl i posted, but with different names. I clear the done col every day, and limit the doing to 3 items at a time. I move off anything waiting to a different board. As well as project related stuff and all that. The more you work on making it better, the more you will rely on it.

The only thing that sucks so far, that i found out on the plane home a few days ago, is it doesn't seem to work offline for the android app. or I hadn't opened it recently and nothing was there. that was a bit frustrating(it may have been my issue, will have to double check).

Em_Ebert, JAJT and amp0193 like this.
  18. LateStarter

LateStarter Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $6,354
    Have you had a look at Clubhouse.io? I stumbled onto it a few days ago since we are looking for Product Management tools to help our team. I'm just working my way through setting it up as a trial, so I don't have feedback yet.

19. amp0193

Rep Bank:
    $47,470
    This is a great idea! I'm going to get another monitor.

Greg R and JAJT like this.
  20. The-J

The-J Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $11,831
    Been using it for almost 2 years now.

It works. No matter how many projects you have.

My cards look like this:

[person/client/reason]: [task]

So for example, a typical task list might be:

Chris: Update landing page copy from the Google Doc

Boris: Update Facebook Creatives in Campaign #1

Justin: Schedule call

It's not great. I don't include due dates unless they're in waiting or deep in the inbox. I don't need to because it's just going to get done today or the next day.

Big tasks get split up into sub tasks. I won't just say "Create new campaign", I'll say "Create audience targeting", "Come up with creative ideas for testing", "Get creative images and copy", "Set up & schedule campaign on (platform)". Or similar. I'm not consistent with the way I split up things.

I jump around from task to task a lot as needed. So this board helps keep me on track.

I update them either before bed or in the morning. If a task comes up and it just gets done (for example, a call that's already in my calendar) it will never be logged in my Trello.

I'm terrible at organizing in general. It hurts my head and causes anxiety. With this, I don't have to worry about it.

More tips on how to use it effectively:

1) Refer to it when you feel off track. If you feel like you're on track, don't refer to it. It'll distract you. This is a double edged sword, because you might feel on track but you're actually behind. If it's constantly updated, though, this won't be a problem.

2) I am starting to implement it for one of my clients. They love the idea of the system, too. The client in question is a team of people. For teams, it becomes more complex. I'll update you all when we get it going.

I can't say I use it perfectly but it really helps get on a roll. But in order for it to help you, you have to USE IT. My least productive days are the ones where I don't refer to the board. Refer to it when you feel off track and update it when there's new things to add.

21. rogue synthetic

Rep Bank:
    $2,418
    What I've been doing lately is using the Kanban board in combination with a written to-do list that blocks out the whole work day.

The kanban board works as the master task-planner, the high level view where I can get a feel for the "shape" of the major goals and projects.

The daily plan gives me a little more structure, reminding me what I need to get done and the best times to do it. I've found that any creative or cognitively-demanding work needs to happen between 7am and noon, for example. The putting-out-fires stuff needs to wait until the hours between 1 and 5pm when I'm not good for anything.

I'm routinely amazed at how forgetful I can be at 6 or 7 in the morning when there's a whole internet full of distractions -- and it doesn't take much of that goofing off to set the whole day off on a bad footing. Opening up the daily plan and knowing I'm booked to do X between the hours of Y and Z takes the decision-making out of the loop.

The daily plan comes in because the Inbox/Todo and Work In Progress lists on the kanban board don't feel "hefty" enough for this. I like to plan the days down to a fine grain and the cards feel too cluttered. I know I could put it in a checklist, but that seems to not really solve the clutter problem and compound things by hiding it behind a card.

The compromise is to link to the daily plan in a card at the top of the Inbox list, which I keep in a document in Dropbox Paper. Each day gets blocked out in advance, on Sunday evenings, and put in the same document. This is handy for reviewing weekly goals and seeing what is and isn't working on a day to day basis.

Moving the kanban cards out of the Inbox and WIP lists while checking off the daily task sheet has been much more productive for me than using the boards by themselves.

Call it redunancy in accountability, I guess. All that matters is that it keeps me on task.

Em_Ebert and Kingmaker like this.
  22. rogue synthetic

Rep Bank:
    $2,418
    Hi Eric, thanks for checking in.

I've found myself using Zenkit exclusively over the last few weeks. I'm still no power user, but I do find that the UI and aesthetic, and some of the extra options for viewing the card data, are useful enough to keep me using it.

I still haven't found any use for the mind-mapping feature, but I do like that the option is there if it ever comes up. The list and calendar views are amazing, I agree.

There are two features I really liked in Favro that I haven't been able to duplicate in Zenkit.

I really liked the way Favro has a backlog board for tasks which is separate from the kanban cards. It was nice to have a high-level overview of the to do list separate from the kanban lists.

I also liked how Favro made it possible to have several (collapsible) rows of kanban lists on the same baord. I've gotten close to this by using different sorting of the cards according to tags and other attributes. But so far as I've seen there is no obvious way to have multiple rows of independent lists on the same board.

I'm not the most creative person in the world so there's every chance these could be duplicated with the existing functionality (or it's already there and I just haven't found it). If this is there, or your team could see any way to add something like these features, I'd be sold.

Em_Ebert likes this.
  23. Em_Ebert

Em_Ebert New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $31
    Hi RS,
    I'm so glad you're using Zenkit! My apologies for the late reply. We've been a bit busy with our desktop app roll-out: Zenkit Brings Its Project Management App To Windows, MacOS And Yes, Linux Desktops

1. We have an 'Upcoming' feature coming soon that should solve the first issue. Stay with us, we're working on it. We'll also be releasing a Global Kanban "view". I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for with multiple collapsible boards in a single collection, but you can probably do this using the 2D Kanban function and a Label field for each list/board. I guess I'd need more information on what you're trying to do here.

2. For the backlog, you could build two separate collections. Move items from your backlog collection to production (todo) collection using bulk actions and continue on from there. (tip: to make the transfer easier, you may want to set up identical fields in each collection. So you can just clone your production board, rename it backlog, and then weed out your backlog items using filters to get a clean backlog.)

I hope that helps and feel free to email me with anything else: eric@zenkit.com

rogue synthetic likes this.
  24. LightHouse

Rep Bank:
    $25,523
    For those of you that switched to Favro, they just released some amazing updates that I haven't even wrapped my head around yet, like custom fields, Lanes, and workflow automation.

At the moment the only thing i have tried out was the custom fields... and it is pretty freaking cool. I will be developing a new thread here soon with my new version along with the accountability group framework, but in the mean time, test the new stuff out and see how it works for you guys(and gals).

EDIT - Also, if you work off of two collections on Favro (aka two boards), if you favorite both of them it creates a really cool switcher button at the bottom that makes it incredibly simple to flip back and forth.

25. AllenCrawley

AllenCrawley Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $71,493
    You should get on this asap.

amp0193 and LightHouse like this.