The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

90s and Early 2000s Rap Chat

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
Anyone into rap from the 90s or early 00s?

I grew up listening mostly to West Coast rap (particularly g-funk).

I was initially obsessed with 2Pac, to the point I listened exclusively to his songs for years. I had dozens, if not hundreds of rare, unreleased songs (often in terrible quality but I didn't mind it).

I then expanded my interests to the entire Death Row family (Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Nate Dogg, Warren G, Tha Dogg Pound) and then beyond it (DJ Quik, MC Eiht, Eazy-E, B.G. Knocc Out & Dresta, 2nd II None, Foesum, The Twinz, Ice Cube, WC, Lil 1/2 Dead, South Central Cartel, Suga Free, and many more), eventually listening to even the most obscure gangsta rap downloaded from some Blogspot blog.

I eventually moved on to other regions of the US. I fell in love with Bone Thugs-n-Harmony (to this day, it's my favorite rap group): all group albums, all solo albums, all associated albums. I also enjoyed other artists from the Midwest (like Twista, Do or Die, or Crucial Conflict).

I'm not that super familiar with East Coast rap but I still like artists like Biggie, Nas, Big Pun, Guru, and Naughty by Nature.

I'd say that southern rap is probably my least favorite though there are still some artists and groups I like such as Devin the Dude, Scarface, and Geto Boys.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mister

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 22, 2021
Germany
Im personally never had really interested in the 90s and early 2000s rap.
Of course, I know artist like 2Pac and Biggie, but never heard much of their tracks.

The only rapper that looked deeper into was 50 Cent, then I'm truly inspired from his journey.

Right now I enjoy listening to a variety of young artist and watch how they go on in life.

I can give you a few artist suggestions if you want.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
The only rapper that looked deeper into was 50 Cent, then I'm truly inspired from his journey.

I strongly encourage you to read his book Hustle Harder, Hustle Smarter.

Right now I enjoy listening to a variety of young artist and watch how they go on in life.

I can give you a few artist suggestions if you want.

I listen to a few new rappers but mostly I'm not into today's mainstream rap unless you mean lesser known artists who don't follow the trends.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
I'd say that southern rap is probably my least favorite though there are still some artists and groups I like such as Devin the Dude, Scarface, and Geto Boys.
How could you leave out Outkast...

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
How could you leave out Outkast...

I like some of their tracks but never really got into their music. Like I said, not a huge fan of southern rap :)

deezcuts20

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 13, 2022
2000-2010 rap was a great era. Kanye, Jay Z, Lil Wayne, Eminem, Luda, Nas, Jeezy. One of the best eras of rap music in my 25 year old opinion lol

Mister

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 22, 2021
Germany
I strongly encourage you to read his book Hustle Harder, Hustle Smarter.
Thanks for the suggestion, I already listen to the audiobook a few times. Its pretty good.

Did you watch the film "Get rich or die trying" ?

I listen to a few new rappers but mostly I'm not into today's mainstream rap unless you mean lesser known artists who don't follow the trends.

I agree with you that most of them are sound the same. I like more R&B rap or with a darker / more forward theme.

When I would suggest one for each theme, I would say these: Pop smoke, YMW Melly, $uicideboy§

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
2000-2010 rap was a great era. Kanye, Jay Z, Lil Wayne, Eminem, Luda, Nas, Jeezy. One of the best eras of rap music in my 25 year old opinion lol

Ha maybe it depends a bit on your age. Out of these, I liked early Kanye and Nas throughout his entire career. Never really cared much for the others though I do appreciate their work.

Did you watch the film "Get rich or die trying" ?

Nope, I haven't. I don't really watch movies.

When I would suggest one for each theme, I would say these: Pop smoke, YMW Melly, $uicideboy§

Yeah that's the style I'm not into.

For modern rappers, I prefer guys like Post Malone (probably the closest to your suggestions), Jack Harlow, and G-Eazy.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I used to love 2 Live Crew ... I just heard some the other day and I was ashamed at myself. :rofl:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

I was initially obsessed with 2Pac, to the point I listened exclusively to his songs for years. I had dozens, if not hundreds of rare, unreleased songs (often in terrible quality but I didn't mind it).

I then expanded my interests to the entire Death Row family (Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Nate Dogg, Warren G, Tha Dogg Pound) and then beyond it (DJ Quik, MC Eiht, Eazy-E, B.G. Knocc Out & Dresta, 2nd II None, Foesum, The Twinz, Ice Cube, WC, Lil 1/2 Dead, South Central Cartel, Suga Free, and many more), eventually listening to even the most obscure gangsta rap downloaded from some Blogspot blog.

I eventually moved on to other regions of the US. I fell in love with Bone Thugs-n-Harmony (to this day, it's my favorite rap group): all group albums, all solo albums, all associated albums. I also enjoyed other artists from the Midwest (like Twista, Do or Die, or Crucial Conflict).

I'm not that super familiar with East Coast rap but I still like artists like Biggie, Nas, Big Pun, Guru, and Naughty by Nature.

My college days were all NWA, the DOC, Tribe Called Quest, Public Enemy, 2Pac, Kool Moe Dee, LL Cool J, etc... some lesser knowns Fu-Schnickens, Pete Rock and CL, Nice and Smooth, Leaders of the New School. Heck I even had Shaq's albums cause he got skillz.

I even went to see Ice Cube in concert when he came to my college.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I used to love 2 Live Crew ... I just heard some the other day and I was ashamed at myself. :rofl:
Ha. Me too. Probably because the old(er) folks we became would be ashamed of us.

Mammoth

Amor Fati
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Dec 4, 2019
México
No love for Jedi Mind Tricks? I still listen to Vinnie Paz, Army of the Pharaohs (one of my favourite rap tracks ever is Seven), RA The Rugged Man, Celph Titled, Demigodz, Apathy, Non Phixion, Ill Bill....so many.
The more mainstream rap is great, but there's just something I enjoy more about the underground producers.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
452%
Mar 15, 2018
What, no Eminem fans?! :fistbump::thumbsup::fire:

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
342%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida

I'm not into all of the "Imma kill you and kill your family" type of stuff,

But even though I'm Gen Z, my favorite album of all time is the College Dropout by Kanye West.

That album is the soundtrack of the success I want in my life, every time I hear it, I get visions in my head of my major long term goals, and inspiration flows into my mind and if I'm slacking, I'm always thinking "Would Kanye from early 2000's be f**king off on instagram right now? No. He'd be in a flow state creating art that would change the world."

It's like this magical album that honestly makes me tear up sometimes thinking about what I want to achieve in life.

Every time I hear "Through The Wire" come on.. f**king goosebumps. Man... it really is something

Mammoth

Amor Fati
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Dec 4, 2019
México
Oh man, I left out Swollen Members. From my home province...my sister and her friends used to party with them in Whistler lol.
Madchild grew up in Abbotsford. He was a short kid and people used to make fun of him in school, called him Madchicken. He got the last laugh.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011

I think that even looking back a few years you'll probably find some music you liked that now you can't believe you liked.

My college days were all NWA, the DOC, Tribe Called Quest, Public Enemy, 2Pac, Kool Moe Dee, LL Cool J, etc... some lesser knowns Fu-Schnickens, Pete Rock and CL, Nice and Smooth, Leaders of the New School. Heck I even had Shaq's albums cause he got skillz.

I even went to see Ice Cube in concert when he came to my college.

A Tribe Called Quest had a few songs I could listen to over and over again. 1nce Again, Electric Relaxation, and Award Tour.

I listened to Pete Rock's & CL Smooth's They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y.) a LOT as well.

No love for Jedi Mind Tricks? I still listen to Vinnie Paz, Army of the Pharaohs (one of my favourite rap tracks ever is Seven), RA The Rugged Man, Celph Titled, Demigodz, Apathy, Non Phixion, Ill Bill....so many.
The more mainstream rap is great, but there's just something I enjoy more about the underground producers.

I found it too dark, both lyrics-wise as well as beat-wise.

But even though I'm Gen Z, my favorite album of all time is the College Dropout by Kanye West.

That album is the soundtrack of the success I want in my life, every time I hear it, I get visions in my head of my major long term goals, and inspiration flows into my mind and if I'm slacking, I'm always thinking "Would Kanye from early 2000's be f**king off on instagram right now? No. He'd be in a flow state creating art that would change the world."

It's like this magical album that honestly makes me tear up sometimes thinking about what I want to achieve in life.

Every time I hear "Through The Wire" come on.. f**king goosebumps. Man... it really is something

I really loved that album as well. It's a shame that Kanye is unlistenable today lol.

Oh man, I left out Swollen Members. From my home province...my sister and her friends used to party with them in Whistler lol.
Madchild grew up in Abbotsford. He was a short kid and people used to make fun of him in school, called him Madchicken. He got the last laugh.

Ha I once had Watch This on repeat daily. Madchild has awesome flow in this one.

Prince33

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jun 9, 2020
Latvia

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia

I must have listened to the story at the end of that song about 100 times at least.

And then when the documentary came out, to realise that he had filmed that entire time of his life and I could watch it, wow that was amazing.

I hope everyone here has watched that doco on Netflix.

Also I always have wanted some sort of tattoo about the dream killers kill my self esteem line but I haven’t been able to come up with an idea that’s not cheesy, I hate word tattoos. That’s a line and just him and his music in general shaped my entire mindset from a young age.

Lots of good artists that I used to and still do love being mentioned here but I still always listen to what’s current, maybe with a bit of old Kanye mixed in.

Juice WRLD was my recent most played. Before that was young thug. Money man and moneybagg yo are another 2 that I like at the moment I haven’t seen mentioned.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Yep.

E40, Eminem, Dr. Octagon, The Pharcyde, Atmosphere, Hieroglyphics, MF DOOM... many more.

New York Hip Hop is what I like the most - Big L, AZ, Nas, Mobb Deep, Wu-Tang Clan, etc...

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
New York Hip Hop is what I like the most - Big L, AZ, Nas, Mobb Deep, Wu-Tang Clan, etc...

While out of these I'm by far the biggest fan of Nas, I have memories obsessively listening to at least one song of each of these artists except for AZ (I did listen to his albums but never really obsessed about any specific track).

For Big L, I loved Put It On. It was a shame he was killed so young as he could have reached the same level of fame as 2Pac, Biggie or Nas.

For Nas, I loved so many it would take too long to list them here lol. So many of his tracks are timeless.

For Mobb Deep, I had to listen to Survival of the Fittest probably hundreds of times. It was featured in one of the first aggressive inline skating movies I watched (I later listened to this song while skating and it hyped me up to do tricks lol).

For Wu-Tang Clan, I was never really a huge fan of the group but absolutely loved Gravel Pit (also discovered through an aggressive inline skating movie).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.