The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

$500,000+ revenue on Shopify!

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Shopify is just a platform. This post could be about Magento, Woocommerce etc. That's not important. What's important is the processes and the knowledge you apply.
"One year on Shopify!"

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

rc08234

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2011
South Jersey
Can your items be found on amazon from a competitor?

I have such trouble wrapping my mind around anyone going outside of amazon to purchase items unless it's not on amazon. I haven't bought a product online that wasn't on amazon in years.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Can your items be found on amazon from a competitor?

I have such trouble wrapping my mind around anyone going outside of amazon to purchase items unless it's not on amazon. I haven't bought a product online that wasn't on amazon in years.

Don't worry too much about Amazon. I know it's a major competitor but you need to focus on your offer. Remember, you're bringing a great product to the right audience. That will always generate sales.

JRGEKKO

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 23, 2016
California
I posted this over at FB and it made some dents. I think it could help someone here too:

Today marks an important milestone for me. It's one year of going full time on Shopify. I have 3 stores now with an excess of $500,000 in revenue (2 are newer launched in the last few weeks). Profit is $200,000.

I'm not here to brag or to release any dumb course. I'm here to inspire. To quote Biggy Smalls "It was all a dream...".

I'm actually embarrassed to post this because I know guys in here making these figures A MONTH. But you gotta start somewhere right?

This store took a dip recently due to FB ads playing up but that taught me an important lesson. I'll post it below.

I started with a vision and a road map to success. Here are my top 10 tips for achieving the same:

1) Follow the right people and unfollow the rest. Most gurus are bullshit.

2) Get into a routine. I meditate, power pose (see Amy Cuddy's video on TED), and do some stretches before starting my day. How you do anything is how you do everything.

3) Read for 30 minutes EVERYDAY. Wow...I wish I knew this when I was 18 years old. Read anything and everything. Start with sales, marketing and mix it up with fiction. I alternate between the two genres.

4) Don't work weekends. Seriously, I haven't worked a weekend in years. Spend time with your loved ones, your kids, your dog. Money cannot substitute that.

5) Learn processes. Bruce Lee called it right. Success is about stripping everything away and processes help you do that.

6) Do not rely on any one thing for your income. This is my biggest mistake to date. I was focusing on FB traffic without considering email marketing or Adwords. Now I use all 3 in my arsenal to generate sales. I'm actually in the process of replicating this revenue with Adwords traffic only.

7) "Offer value first" - I'm sorry but that's bullshit. You don't open a store in your local mall to give things away. You do it to make money. I know people will disagree but that's the cold hard truth. If you don't believe me - watch Kevin O'Leary on Shark Tank. Offer a sizzling product to the right audience and you will make money. Truth.

8) Be a nice person. Yeah the world is full of douche bags but you don't need to be one of them. I'm heavily influenced by eastern philosophies and I live in India now so I guess it's easier but if you're struggling in life, close your eyes, take a deep breath and exhale for 10 seconds. It's a Zen practise I use all the time.

9) Network, network, network - find people who propel you forwards. Join a pack of lions. Become the leader.

10) If your productivity sucks. Go use the Pomodoro Technique. It works!

I didn't get here by myself. I met some extraordinary people who mentored me, showed me the path, ridiculed my ideas but ultimately shaped my character. I thank you all and you know who you are.

Gary Vee walks into any room thinking he's the best but also realizing that his work doesn't matter. Make your ego your friend and drown out that negativity.

I'm the proud son of working class immigrants. I didn't know anything but I learnt it all. Success isn't born. It's made.

If I can do it so can you. I also want to thank the entire team at Shopify for making this possible. My goal for next year is $1m/store.

Good luck.

200k Nice! Curious to know what were you doing before you went full-time on Shopify? (Were you doing Shopify part-time at first or selling shirts on Teespring etc?

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
200k Nice! Curious to know what were you doing before you went full-time on Shopify? (Were you doing Shopify part-time at first or selling shirts on Teespring etc?

I started life on FB by selling dating leads. That was great until FB stopped it (too many blackhatters). Then I started selling shirts on Teespring. I did that for about 18 months before moving onto Shopify. I don't sell shirts anymore. The non-shirt market is worth trillions.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed

RichyV

Death Is Winning. Do Something.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Aug 31, 2014
Congrats on the success man!

I don't bother with copywriting product pages. The visitor is on the site and interested. You need to close the sale by making them trust you. Ad copy is important on the ad itself.

Interesting, what methods do you use to convey trust to visitors?

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
I guess they'll always be a place for it. Supplier wise, did you contact wholesalers/manufacturers direct and convince them to drop ship?

Yeah you need to liaise with suppliers. Not all are happy to dropship. That's when wholesale comes into the equation.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Congrats on the success man!

Interesting, what methods do you use to convey trust to visitors?

I had a custom theme built. Things like trust symbols, reviews etc helps a ton.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
"One year on Shopify!"

Lol. This one's for @KLaw

@Cyriex and me both know that - if the OP's numbers are accurate - looks like @Sanj Modha is currently beating both @theag 's annual profit and revenue numbers.

Hey, @Sanj Modha , here is an honest proposition for you. Perhaps you could sell Cups of STFU.

@theag is obviously a prime candidate for a Nice Cup of STFU.

Currently, Cups of STFU sell for between $9.95 and $15.00

I have discovered a huge, massive "NEED" on the internet: Guys on the internet who make way less money than the guys they talk shit to.

Such people, I think, represent a massive market for Cups of STFU. Whenever some guy, who makes way less money than another guy, feels the nerve to talk ish, he can just have a nice Cups of STFU.

Cups of STFU would not only save little money pretenders from attacking a real-life Alpha lion, it would also rid the Internet of much of the fakery and bullshit that gives Internet forums a bad name in the first place.

Anyway, OP is lion $HIT.

Carry on.

Last edited:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
I don't want to know what you sell, but with all the hoopla in the past 12 months about Shopify ( and especially Shopify with dropship ), I would like to ask if this is the whole "free+shipping" model or if you are doing reg. sales at all.

Hopefully, that isn't asking too much info. However, I have Shopify stores and was curious about this trend and if that's what got you started.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Great thread @Sanj Modha ! Short, to the point, and no bullshit. And....some Eastern philosophy suggestions which I think this Country desperately needs. Thanks for sharing.

I started with a vision and a road map to success
So how did you start ? I mean...did you educate yourself and decide you were going to dropship, import, use your own website, etc to reach your goals ? Just generally....I'm not asking about product or specifics.

Also...have you lived in the U.S. before ? If so, does this help with business ?

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
Didn't read through whole thread, but when you customers see that the shipping address came from overseas? Does their expression become this --> :/

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
I am realizing more and more that very little of the specifics really matter. Not that I am not grateful for your answers! Every product, business and path has too many variables to just copy someones formula. I think its all down to mindset, belief and process. Again - great results and thanks for sharing. I like just knowing that people can do this and that others on here are succeeding.

Don't over analyze it too much. The process is more important than the results. Trust the process.

There is no secret. It's about information vs knowledge - there's a big difference. Knowledge is applied and once you understand the traffic source, your products and the audience - the magic starts.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Awesome post, thanks for sharing!

Definitely understand what you mean here. What I think most people on here mean, when they say you should create value first, is not to give away things for free. It is to create something of value and sell that.

You're right, you don't make money without selling something, but before you can make money you have to create a product that's valuable to people, first.

Could be wrong, but that's what "create value first" means to me: create something of value and sell that.

You want to offer a great product with direct marketing. Imagine the conversion rates once FB implements one-click payments off the newsfeed?

I've found the right product will always sell to passionate audiences. They are an avalanche of buyers.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
You make it sound like easy math.

I like to keep as simple as possible. I get soooo many questions about "What's your CPC? Is 2% CTR enough?" etc etc. Just focus on money in vs money out. That pays the bills.

My reports track very little now. If I spend $1. I should make $2. That's about as simple as I can make it.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Just wonder what sort of total sale price you have on average?

If you want to know something about shopify you could just ask him @theag

Yes if you want specific Shopify information, I can start another thread. Alternatively, speak to their Live Chat. They are awesome people and available 24/7.

My AOV is between $35-$40.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.