The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

18/19 year old with no sense of direction

D

DeletedUser84644

Hello, I'm FauxPas. An 18 (almost 19) year old who has just finished high school recently. I don't know where to go from here in my life in terms of applying the fast lane in my particular situation. So I want to move out of my parents house but I know that getting a job is an absolute scam for myself in the long term. Me working for someone else to make someone else rich is something I definitely don't want but at the same time I don't want to wait until I'm 30 to have the whole business thing figured out before being able to finally move out because I know that I'll fail a couple times at it, as I know absolutely nothing about business. I have very little knowledge and experience about how the real world works in general, making this even more difficult and frustrating. I want to do something with my life fast and now and get straight to the point of getting rich and having what I want out of life. I don't want it to take 10+ years to start being able to enjoy life fully. My short term goal is to move out of my parents house, and my long term goal is to get rich fast. I want to get rich by age 25 although that may not happen considering how much I know nothing about how anything works. So this is what I'm thinking right now:

What kind of business can I get into that follows the C.E.N.T.S commandments while also giving me the ability to move out of my parents house within 1-2 years?

I can't seem to F*cking find a need to satisfy in the market for F*ck... (My brain can't come up with anything innovative)

How would I buy or create such a business without much money?

How exactly can I pull this whole business thing off during a pandemic?

Should I buy a franchise first, learn how to be a business owner from that, and then buy or create my own business or should I just go straight to it despite my astronomical amount of ignorance on how business works?

How exactly are you suppose to support yourself if you were to start a company? Savings?

And if I finally do get rich, how would I make that money work for me?

I've read the millionaire fast lane but haven't read unscripted . I currently have $2,200 in savings and don't have a job at the moment. My biggest set back is money and ignorance to the fast lane formula. So yeah that's what brings me here to the fastlane form. I simply just need advice as a frustrated clueless teenager.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

OneLife

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 8, 2019
Israel
If you didn't have a sense of direction you wouldn't even be on this forum right now. I bet 90%+ of the people your age are focused on jerking off, chasing girls and wondering what they'll study in university. So I'd say you're in a VERY good place, you should stop underestimating yourself, give yourself some more props for trying to break through in life and not be average.

Next. I think you're jumping way ahead of the curve. Although the Fastlane talks about getting rich fast (As a side effect of solving problems and giving tons of value, don't forget that) - this is a marathon, not a sprint.

I assume you don't have many expenses, so I would start with researching what types of businesses you could build without a lot of capital. There are plenty of ideas here on this forum alone.

So start reading, seeing what other people are doing - then whatever 'business model' that caught your eye, start. Don't think too much, just jump into the water and start. That way you'll progress the fastest, instead of sitting here and analyzing how to do and what to do.

(this is just my opinion, I'm no expert. So take what I say with a grain of salt :D ) Good luck man.

Peal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Apr 4, 2020
Western U.S.
Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, there is no magic answer to most of your questions.

You're way ahead of where I was at your age in that you already know you don't want a 9-5. But keep in mind, very few people can avoid ever having a day job. Find something you don't dread doing, and while you're saving money from a 9-5, look around in Quora and Google Adwords for questions and problems people have. Make a list of stuff that you hate about everyday life. Get in the habit of looking out for problems your friends and family have. Experiment, fail, learn and try again.

Most importantly, don't dwell on the difference between where you are and where you want to be. Take it day to day and enjoy the adventure. The common thread between all successful entrepreneurs is resilience.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
You start off by molding, monitoring and manipulating your own mind. Everything else means jack squat. Money, connections or diplomas means nothing.

I would start with some lower level skills that can be monetized relatively easy. Not big money but enough to stay afloat. Doesn’t have to tech related.

But even during this pandemic there are opportunities because simply the money and resources just move somewhere else.

The problem is almost always your mind. Your perceptions are blurred by powerful cognitive structures that are hidden from your awareness. Intrinsic to these structure are properties that keep them hidden. This is where denial, ignorance and resistance come from.

D

DeletedUser84644

What have you done in the 8 days you've been a member here?

Have you read the welcome messages, required reading?

Have you posted that you've read TMF ?

What gold threads have you read, what side hustles threads?

None of the above because your recent activity log is empty.

Do the above, the answers to all your questions are there for the taking.

I wanted to finished reading TMF before reading that stuff. I'm really sorry if it seemed like I was playing victim here in the post, I'm just frustrated and overwhelmed with a ton of questions I have in my mind that I don't have the answers to, as I do not like to sit with ignorance and let my life pass by me with no progress. Because I can't accomplish what I want without knowledge; I'll do what you've suggested.

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
Check the gold posts, every time I read one my mind went to a different place.
Try to write down everything that seems important to you.
Don't make yourself miserable and stop reminding yourself of what a long and hard journey you will have to go through.
Rather look at what you have learned already and how much you have grown since you started to think about your future.
Envision what you want, read more, buy something for a lower price and sell it for a profit, try to help people.
Write down ideas even if they sound stupid and impossible, it will get better with time.

20 All-Time Best Entrepreneur Books to Make Your Business Successful
check this site and choose the most interesting one.

My suggestion to read after TMF would be Think and Grow Rich

Last edited:

Santiaggo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Feb 2, 2018
Uruguay
From one 19-year-old to another... you need to get moving.

I see you're afraid of getting a job since it's "slowlane", but in reality... a job is one of the best ways to join a certain industry and absorb lots of knowledge about it, so when you're ready you can use that knowledge to your advantage to start a business.

If I were you... I'd either pick a skill you like and start learning all there's about it (it could be coding, copywriting, SEO, or whatever you wish to) and look into doing some freelancing, or apply for a job at a certain industry that interests you.

You might not "get rich quick at 25" doing what I suggest, but at least you'll start getting valuable skills and knowledge that'll serve you on your road to riches, plus you'll be moving and improving every day, rather than being stagnant as you're now.

Also, college... well, it's your decision whether you want to go or not, and I can't add a lot here. I personally choose to go, but college here is free, so my situation is different to yours in that aspect.

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
According to Brian Tracy, for an average person who decides to be financially independent (=never have to work again), it takes them 18 years from the decision until they get there. So those who want it at 10 get there at 28. Some get there at 18, some at 38. I started thinking about it in my early 30s, so I am looking at age 50, which sounds fine to me — and frankly, if I don't get there but fulfill all my other goals, that is fine too. I may reconsider financial independence if certain other opportunities come my way (=doing something that I love and getting paid for it).

I imagine, the research Brain Tracy quotes is not that precise as nobody is keeping track of those commitments, but you get the gist: any business you try can well give you no profit over the next 1-2 years at all. And I have seen it, particularly with the more complicated offerings, you spend years figuring out what to sell, then more years figuring out how to sell it, then you have to actually run the business... If you fail, you may have to then take a job, save some more, start another business part-time, quit your job... then if it fails, take another job again :)

If your short term is to move out of your parents' house, then a business is not the way to go.

D

DeletedUser84644

From one 19-year-old to another... you need to get moving.

I see you're afraid of getting a job since it's "slowlane", but in reality... a job is one of the best ways to join a certain industry and absorb lots of knowledge about it, so when you're ready you can use that knowledge to your advantage to start a business.

If I were you... I'd either pick a skill you like and start learning all there's about it (it could be coding, copywriting, SEO, or whatever you wish to) and look into doing some freelancing, or apply for a job at a certain industry that interests you.

You might not "get rich quick at 25" doing what I suggest, but at least you'll start getting valuable skills and knowledge that'll serve you on your road to riches, plus you'll be moving and improving every day, rather than being stagnant as you're now.

Also, college... well, it's your decision whether you want to go or not, and I can't add a lot here. I personally choose to go, but college here is free, so my situation is different to yours in that aspect.
I just don't want that I finally get rich at 40 and be like "Damn, I've spent my entire youth chasing for wealth so that I could live my life, and now half of my life is no more. All those sacrifices I made made me not enjoy the time I had being young. I wish I would've just retired in my thirties when I had the chance instead of kept on with the business to get rich." I really don't want delay gratification for too long so to speak. Because your youth is where you enjoy life the most. And life is short. Me personally, I don't see a point in attempting to get rich if it won't happen in my mid twenties at least. I'd rather just increase my income and save my way to retiring early (in my thirties) and have some enjoyment of my twenties than to deprive my self joy of life throughout my twenties and only get to finally start enjoying life in my thirties or later. In the wealth exposed story, that guy got rich young in his twenties. I want to be like that guy but am afraid I don't have it takes to get there. So that would leave me with just financial freedom but without wealth. I'd have the money to not have to work again but wouldn't have the money to live life at large. It's sad that you can't have everything you want in life. I guess I'll have to settle with what's more attainable.

KAIROZ

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jun 24, 2020
Oxfordshire
I've read the millionaire fast lane but haven't read unscripted . I currently have $2,200 in savings and don't have a job at the moment. My biggest set back is money and ignorance to the fast lane formula. So yeah that's what brings me here to the fastlane form. I simply just need advice as a frustrated clueless teenager.

Sounds like you need to read unscripted .

PeterBoss

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Aug 17, 2020
London
I just don't want that I finally get rich at 40 and be like "Damn, I've spent my entire youth chasing for wealth so that I could live my life, and now half of my life is no more. All those sacrifices I made made me not enjoy the time I had being young. I wish I would've just retired in my thirties when I had the chance instead of kept on with the business to get rich." I really don't want delay gratification for too long so to speak. Because your youth is where you enjoy life the most. And life is short. Me personally, I don't see a point in attempting to get rich if it won't happen in my mid twenties at least. I'd rather just increase my income and save my way to retiring early (in my thirties) and have some enjoyment of my twenties than to deprive my self joy of life throughout my twenties and only get to finally start enjoying life in my thirties or later. In the wealth exposed story, that guy got rich young in his twenties. I want to be like that guy but am afraid I don't have it takes to get there. So that would leave me with just financial freedom but without wealth. I'd have the money to not have to work again but wouldn't have the money to live life at large. It's sad that you can't have everything you want in life. I guess I'll have to settle with what's more attainable.

If you want to enjoy your 20's enjoy your 20's... In general, people that are working hard, don't have the chance to do that.
Working on building something takes time and in general nobody gets it 'right' on their first try... sometimes not even on their 100 try.

You should see entrepreneurship more about the chance of bringing to the world your value and hope that the market values that as well. If you think this is some kind of 'get rich so I can finally live my life' you will probably be bitterly disappointed.
Fell in love with 'figuring it out', as that is the path of entrepreneurship. Choosing entrepreneurship for the money is like choosing to be an MD for the money. It doesn't end well, even when successful, because as you well said "half of my life is no more".

Try to fall in love with the process, enjoy the feedback it brings.

Plymouth Oyster

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
May 25, 2020
The Ocean
Hello, I'm FauxPas. An 18 (almost 19) year old who has just finished high school recently. I don't know where to go from here in my life in terms of applying the fast lane in my particular situation. So I want to move out of my parents house but I know that getting a job is an absolute scam for myself in the long term. Me working for someone else to make someone else rich is something I definitely don't want but at the same time I don't want to wait until I'm 30 to have the whole business thing figured out before being able to finally move out because I know that I'll fail a couple times at it, as I know absolutely nothing about business. I have very little knowledge and experience about how the real world works in general, making this even more difficult and frustrating. I want to do something with my life fast and now and get straight to the point of getting rich and having what I want out of life. I don't want it to take 10+ years to start being able to enjoy life fully. My short term goal is to move out of my parents house, and my long term goal is to get rich fast. I want to get rich by age 25 although that may not happen considering how much I know nothing about how anything works. So this is what I'm thinking right now:

What kind of business can I get into that follows the C.E.N.T.S commandments while also giving me the ability to move out of my parents house within 1-2 years?

I can't seem to F*cking find a need to satisfy in the market for F*ck... (My brain can't come up with anything innovative)

How would I buy or create such a business without much money?

How exactly can I pull this whole business thing off during a pandemic?

Should I buy a franchise first, learn how to be a business owner from that, and then buy or create my own business or should I just go straight to it despite my astronomical amount of ignorance on how business works?

How exactly are you suppose to support yourself if you were to start a company? Savings?

And if I finally do get rich, how would I make that money work for me?

Sage advice from an oldie, haha
I'll tell myself to travel the world & don't worry about business until my 30's.
I had a job before I traveled.
In 1989 I started with £1500, a one way ticket to Bangkok & a one year working visa for Australia.
I backpacked through Asia first & I started freelancing in Singapore, never used that visa to Oz. I wanted to stay in Asia so I researched where I could base myself for travel & work. I suppose that would've been my "why" at the time.
In 1992 I built my first business in Hong Kong & didn't return to the UK until 2017.
From this thread

Plymouth Oyster

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
May 25, 2020
The Ocean
Sage advice from an oldie, haha

From this thread
PS I'd say leave it until late 40's for a man, enjoy your youth, looks, vigour, hair & abs while you can.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...