The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

17 and looking to execute my first idea of value. not sure how.

Idea threads

Moh

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 7, 2019
< obligatory this is my first post in the TFF, sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place >

I'm a 17 year old and I've identified a need that I want to solve, perhaps my first fastlane idea that I'm seriously thinking about executing, but there's a problem: my idea follows the same idea of Uber and such, but it solves a much different need(s). It's going to require lots of programming, time, and money. I have no problem with that, but I'm going to be starting university (not majoring in CS) within the next few months. I'm not sure if I should learn programming myself, since my major won't leave me with much free time, or I should wait to get a "stable" income source so I can get people to do the programming for me (or even pursue a different fastlane idea). as much as I don't want to wait for almost a decade (medical school is hella long), I'm scared to go all in and end up failing uni and failing to execute my idea. my parents are also hella unsupportive of any fastlane ideas so that adds to the problem.

So my questions are: what do you think? am I just making up excuses or is it a legit problem? should I just say F it and pursue my idea or at least do a bit of progress? Do I have the wrong mindset?
also I'm unsure if it's even possible for just one person to build something that works the same way as Uber, so should I make use of my time in uni to find like minded people who can execute the idea with me?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
or I should wait to get a "stable" income source so I can get people to do the programming for me ... as much as I don't want to wait for almost a decade (medical school is hella long)

Your idea will not last the 10 years it takes you to get a stable income.

If that's your plan for your idea, then it's dead. Not going to work.

I'm scared to go all in and end up failing uni and failing to execute my idea. my parents are also hella unsupportive of any fastlane ideas so that adds to the problem.

So my questions are: what do you think? am I just making up excuses or is it a legit problem? should I just say F it and pursue my idea or at least do a bit of progress? Do I have the wrong mindset?
also I'm unsure if it's even possible for just one person to build something that works the same way as Uber

Your biggest problem though is your lack of ability and confidence to execute (likely do to a lack of ability).

It sounds like you don't know how to program, don't know how to tackle the problem, don't understand the steps necessary in order to undertake the problem at hand, don't know how many people it will take, ... don't understand pretty much everything from a business perspective.

If an investor asked you to write a 20 page business plan today, would you be able to do it? Or would it take you months before you even had a rough understanding of how to execute and get things done?

Here's my advice: If your idea is revolutionary, and you believe that YOU can execute, then start with a minimum viable product. Launch it before school starts. Then gather the support to seek angel investment or seed investment from an individual in the space that can serve as a mentor. The mentor/investor has to be someone successful that you aspire to be, not some doctor rich guy that you fooled into believing what could be a flawed idea. If you get validation from someone in the space, then push forward, otherwise don't.

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
Why are you going to medical school?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.