• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Atomic Habits by James Clear

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Atomic Habits, by James Clear (Review | Discuss)

WHERE!?!?!? Does everyone learn to build websites/SEO/Social media marketing?!

Discussion in 'Product Creation, Inventing, Importing, Sourcing' started by Jamesdoesmith, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Jamesdoesmith

Jamesdoesmith Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $783
    I am in a dilemma where I need to learn how to create my own sales leads. Landing pages/SEO things/ Create funnels/Ads on social media. I am tired of paying for these services. Where did YOU learn to do these things? I am trying to cut out the middle man and generate my own leads.

VentureVoyager likes this.
  2. Scot

Scot Ductus Exemplo Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $52,823
    If you're just looking for leads and funnels, start with clickfunnels. They havea crap load of webinars and training material if that's the route you want to go down.

I also listen to a lot of podcasts. Perpetual Traffic is a great social media marketing podcast and Marketing Speak is a good SEO podcast.

OldFaithful, Fox and lowtek like this.
  3. Jamesdoesmith

Rep Bank:
    $783
    Thank you for your reply. I will check that out.

4. AdamMaxum

AdamMaxum a worthy successor indeed Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,889
    You're referencing multiple lead strategies so it won't be easy.

landing pages - google some landing page sites and free trial and figure out how to put together a landing page. They've made creating a landing page a lot easier nowadays. You'll still want to read about proper landing page structures, etc.

SEO - depends what kind of SEO you're trying to do. Google on-site SEO and off-site SEO and read up on both. On-site SEO is gonna require you to know where to go in the backend of the website to add tags and things. Off-site SEO is going to depend on what you're trying to rank for but link building is basically key (in some shape or form).

Ads social media - You'll need to understand the social ad platform. You'll need to create the ads themselves. You'll need to understand the settings and targeting and numbers behind the ads.

I'd start with googling around each topic. Reading up on various sources to get a grasp and then start taking action. It's going to take weeks and many hours to feel comfortable doing any of these. Took me years to get to the level I'm at. A lot of reading website content and taking action and testing the information to see if it worked. Best path is to google search these topics and go down the rabbit hole around each one if you really want to learn it all.

Andy Black and Certg like this.
  5. jasoncuellar123

jasoncuellar123 I’m probably awake. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $13,717
    Books, YouTube...

Ninjakid likes this.
  6. Motley crue

Motley crue Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $317
    Udemy.com

7. Ninjakid

Ninjakid Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,266
    dude, a google (or DuckDuckGo if you're me) search could literally answer all your questions

lowtek, Yoda and Echizen like this.
  8. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $170,562
    Work out who you're trying to help and what problem you're trying to help them with.

Then ask yourself if you really need all of the things you mention to be able to help them. I bet you can find ways to help people without building so much stuff (never mind *learning* how to build so much stuff).

Are you about to go down a learning rabbit-hole that distracts you from actually helping people?

Ask yourself:

How can I help someone this week?

How can I make a sale this week?

Also... say you do want a simple funnel created to get visitors to contact you for help. Ask yourself how you can get someone to do that for you without paying for it. Maybe you can create a win-win with that person? Maybe you can generate the revenue to pay for it beforehand?

Personally, I get clients to pay for the build of their landing pages and funnels. I don't pay my graphic designer and developer to build landing pages - my clients pay them. This in turn builds my IP and people, processes, and technology.

Just giving you other ways to think about it. "Learning" and DIY aren't the only options...

For learning options, check out @Fox's thread, @eliquid's signature, and my signature.

Silverhog, Ninjakid and Nexus like this.
  9. Inuc

Inuc Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $198
    I learnt most ofmy web skills by joining relevant fb groups , reading related group and now adding youtube videos to it.

Andy Black likes this.
  10. Eugen

Eugen Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $209
    This is what I do

-Use Feedly to gather a list of industry influencers and then try to read their stuff daily/often
    -Courses (Udemy, Skillshare)

Most importantly, learn by doing. I've learned a lot more by doing rather than just reading all day.

B. Cole and Andy Black like this.
  11. Longinus

Longinus Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $15,149
    jmusic, Tarma and Andy Black like this.
  12. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $170,562
  13. goodguude

goodguude Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,250
    Hey man,

was at your point a while ago, too. While not being an expert at all, I think I grew my knowledge, especially about Google AdWords and Web Design through some very useful resources:

The courses of Isaac Rudansky on Udemy: (not affiliated in any way)
    https://www.udemy.com/the-ultimate-google-adwords-training-course/ - about Google AdWords (pretty long, 20 hours of content iirc)
    https://www.udemy.com/landing-page-design-best-practices/learn/ - about Landing Page Design and Conversin Rate Optimization in general (loved this one!)
    How Retargeting Works–The Complete Guide To Retargeting Ads! - still on my to-do list

Helpful articles:
    65 Best Marketing Articles of All Time (as of 2017) - fantastic list of the best digital marketing resources on the internet

Other than that, I started working 12 hours / week at a PPC agency. Thanks to that I am able to work on big accounts, spending several tens of thousands of dollars on AdWords alone, getting first-hand experience and learn from more experienced marketers who work for the agency.

In the end, the most important thing you can do after going through some basic education on the topic is to actually work on some projects yourself. You can read hundreds of articles, consume hours of video courses and go through thousands of book pages - but you will never learn as much as if you are doing some project yourself.

I hope this helps you.

14. PatrickWho

PatrickWho Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $889
    Here are some tools that make it easier to get started:

1 - WordPress (check out Start Here - Your Guide to WordPress by WPBeginner to learn more about WordPress)
    2 - important WordPress plugins:
    -- WP Forms
    -- WordPress SEO by Yoast

3 - get a versatile theme to build your landing pages / product sites. You don't want something too complicated, because you'll waste a lot of time playing with options.

This looks like a good free theme you can use to capture emails: Theme Directory — Free WordPress Themes (demo here: Construction)

Again, be careful not to waste too much time becomming a WordPress expert. Just get comfortable using a basic theme like this and focus on learning the larger principles of marketing and SEO at first.

Andy Black likes this.
  15. raddevon

raddevon Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $257
    CodeSchool is one of my favorites for learning web development. Not much time left, but it's free this weekend. I wrote a curriculum for founders you might find helpful to get the most of it.

16. Jamesdoesmith

Rep Bank:
    $783
    Man absolutely huge thanks to everyone who responded.

17. Jamesdoesmith

Rep Bank:
    $783
    Man It is awesome to have you in this thread. It's crazy, but I think you were the individual in one of the "I am 20 and is college right for me?" Threads where you said something like "F it! Go to college! Get the lead out!" I did that and took that advice and it was awesome. Highly recommend to anyone. Be smart about it do it as cheap as possible. BUT partying for a year with sorority girls is not such a bad thing. Worse things have happened. It opens you up to "living" alone. Being solely responsible for yourself. If I have the wrong person please disregard. I am not trying to get my sales career up and moving Again I appreciate everyone in the thread for their insight.

Omerroz and Andy Black like this.
  18. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $170,562
    Don't think it was my reply, but great it worked out for you.

Argue likes this.
  19. Tarma

Tarma Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $150
    If you're interested in creating Landing Pages, check out Landingi.

There is an Appsumo sale going on for a Lifetime access.

More conversions than a church on Sunday

I bought it and, honestly, I think it's very good, especially if you don't have much time/patience/skill with coding.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  20. dbelov275

dbelov275 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $62
    I was at same place few months ago but all I did was a bit of personal research. You will be shocked to know how much you can do yourself and how much you will save just learning how to do simple stuffs.
    For example, the "Google SEO" is very easy. There are websites where you can create your own website yourself and you will be directed on how to do all this advertisement, SEO features which are sometimes free. Example of those website is wix, wordpress, etc.

21. Brian C.

Brian C. Rolling Thunder Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,111
    @Fox @SinisterLex were (and still are) crucial to my development in digital marketing.

Their threads, groups, courses - everything they put out is an education.

This forum was also extremely helpful too. Watch the right people, see what they're doing, and follow what works.

Other than that, I picked up a lot during my initial gigs with clients on Upwork. It seemed as if every new project I took on had something I needed to learn about. Over time and working with these clients, I slowly began to approach the expert level.

Let me know if you're ever in need of any specific resources. I'd be happy to help.

Fox likes this.
  22. PedroG

PedroG Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $4,428
    Russell Brunson. He's the founder of ClickFunnels. Check out his books and podcasts (Marketing in Your Car, and Marketing Secrets).

23. Mr.Rob

Mr.Rob Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $241
    Daniel A likes this.
  24. Jamesdoesmith

Rep Bank:
    $783
    I appreciate everyone in the thread. I am currently looking at clickfunnels. Does anyone know how it SEO's? AS in if someone locally searches "solar" or "lower my power bill" or "roof coating" how likely am I to be soon?

25. GuestUser450

GuestUser450 Guest

Rep Bank:
    $
    But do you really need any of those things? Is the middleman currently giving you a profit on your spend? The method should fit the customer. Some folks love webinars. Some respond only to email. For c level, the phone is king.

Point being, double down when there is something to double down on, your time is too valuable to learn skills 'just in case'.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.