The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Whats you guys opinion on this idea?

Idea threads

lordchriscole

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 16, 2021
A sizing platform that combines a database of garment ,fit information and consumer preferences to help users find there sizes in there favorite brands.

we will make money by charging retail brands a affiliate fee when our users purchase because of our platform. This will be a % of the sale or a dollar amount. This isn't a long term solution. Just a start.

What do you guys think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
We will act as shoppers ultimate personal size assistant. Through outlets like our browser extension and app. We'll start by gathering and collecting data and size charts and individual sizes.

Shoppers can mange past purchases in one place that they can take with them everywhere.

Us our online Fitting Room to compare the size of products with items they already own.

Make instant size recommendations based on purchase history , body metrics and brands sizing guidelines.

Provide shoppers with personalized detailed guidance on finding the perfect fit.

we will make money by charging retail brands a affiliate fee when our users purchase because of our platform. This will be a % of the sale or a dollar amount. This isn't a long term solution. Just a start.

What do you guys think?
I don't know. There are personal shopper sites that have people who recommend clothing. How would you be different?

lordchriscole

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 16, 2021
I don't know. There are personal shopper sites that have people who recommend clothing. How would you be

I don't know. There are personal shopper sites that have people who recommend clothing. How would you be different?
Thank you for answering and that's a great question. I feel our main focus would be sizing and fit. Have you had a experience of ordering something online thinking it would fit but it's shipped and you try it and it does fit. So now you have to ship it back out and reorder still not knowing if it would fit. So now imagine if you were online shopping and all your size data was stored and we tell you what size you are based on that data. Would that be helpful?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Thank you for answering and that's a great question. I feel our main focus would be sizing and fit. Have you had a experience of ordering something online thinking it would fit but it's shipped and you try it and it does fit. So now you have to ship it back out and reorder still not knowing if it would fit. So now imagine if you were online shopping and all your size data was stored and we tell you what size you are based on that data. Would that be helpful?
I gave up being a clothes horse years ago. You'd have to ask a younger person that question. My needs these days are very simple and I know what I like. The only thing I've bought on-line during the last year was a few bathing suits for going to our pool. But I know that there are services out there act as a personal shopper.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
So now imagine if you were online shopping and all your size data was stored and we tell you what size you are based on that data. Would that be helpful?
It would be helpful.

Lot of measurements for consumers to take.

You'd need retailers or manufacturers to supply you with the same for every line they sell.

It's more than just chest, waist, inside leg, outside leg etc.

For example in pants you have rise, that's between your crotch and waistband.

There's shoulder, half shoulder, sleeve length from shoulder, sleeve length from centre of neck...

Size & fit changes with season, fashion, line, brand, ethnicity, yes really, Structure targeted African Americans and sized for them, the list goes on.

Getting a suit made is at least two fittings.

I did fitting model work back in the day.
That's why everything fits me off the rack.

If you can coordinate all that you might have a winner.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
No idea, I repeat, no idea is "Fastlane"

lordchriscole

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 16, 2021
No idea, I repeat, no idea is "Fastlane"

Thanks mj this makes since I will change the title to be honest I have had this idea for a while before I read your books I honestly wanted opinions about the idea.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thanks mj this makes since I will change the title to be honest I have had this idea for a while before I read your books I honestly wanted opinions about the idea.

No worries. I'm not terribly sure about the idea because I can't quite understand it. And I also don't spend a lot of money on clothes.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Setup a tiktok, run ads and see if you can find anyone willing to pay to use your service - offer it for 80% discount for the first 10 people. Just so you can get feedback from them.

Only once you've had feedback from your customers should you think about building "an app" and automate things. But do shit manually for now.

That being said, I wouldn't bother if you can't find a way to establish yourself as a monopoly from the get go. Read this; BOOK - Book summary: Zero to One, by Peter Thiel

Last edited:

lordchriscole

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 16, 2021
It would be helpful.

Lot of measurements for consumers to take.

You'd need retailers or manufacturers to supply you with the same for every line they sell.

It's more than just chest, waist, inside leg, outside leg etc.

For example in pants you have rise, that's between your crotch and waistband.

There's shoulder, half shoulder, sleeve length from shoulder, sleeve length from centre of neck...

Size & fit changes with season, fashion, line, brand, ethnicity, yes really, Structure targeted African Americans and sized for them, the list goes on.

Getting a suit made is at least two fittings.

I did fitting model work back in the day.
That's why everything fits me off the rack.

If you can coordinate all that you might have a winner.
that's a lot to think about! thank you for giving your input

lordchriscole

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 16, 2021
No worries. I'm not terribly sure about the idea because I can't quite understand it. And I also don't spend a lot of money on clothes.
hmm.. yeah I just read through what typed it is confusing. sorry about that. Basically it is a sizing platform that combines a database of garment ,fit information and consumer preferences to help users find there sizes in there favorite brands.

lordchriscole

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 16, 2021
I gave up being a clothes horse years ago. You'd have to ask a younger person that question. My needs these days are very simple and I know what I like. The only thing I've bought on-line during the last year was a few bathing suits for going to our pool. But I know that there are services out there act as a personal shopper.
what do you like?

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
So essentially a user would put in their information into the app, and when they select a brand it would tell them which size correlated to their actual measurements? I've heard women's sizing was all over the place. You could buy a size 4 and it would be a 'size 8' in another brand.

lordchriscole

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 16, 2021
Setup a tiktok, run ads and see if you can find anyone willing to pay to use your service - offer it for 80% discount for the first 10 people. Just so you can get feedback from them.

Only once you've had feedback from your customers should you think about building "an app" and automate things. But do shit manually for now.

That being said, I wouldn't bother if you can find a way to establish yourself as a monopoly from almost the get go. Read this; BOOK - Book summary: Zero to One, by Peter Thiel
I totally agree about doing something that doesn't scale at first just to see if there is a need cause the market doesn't lie . I love peters book. Thanks for the suggestion!

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I imagine this working on the 'getting users and being useful' side of things, but I imagine you trying to get in touch with levi's or some large brand and them basically ignoring you. Large brands will likely not give you the time of day. They have systems and layers of corporate bullshit that make it so much harder than it needs to be to start "partnerships" with brands unless they already have something in place. They have affiliate programs but you may find it difficult to link your app to their affiliate program.

I like this idea. I could imagine it being talked about by some teenage girl on her tik tok page "I love to use the 'One syze' app because women's clothing sizes are a total joke and this helps me buy the right size the first time"

But, how is this any different from size charter? SizeCharter: Find your size and the brands that fit you best

lordchriscole

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 16, 2021
So essentially a user would put in their information into the app, and when they select a brand it would tell them which size correlated to their actual measurements? I've heard women's sizing was all over the place. You could buy a size 4 and it would be a 'size 8' in another brand.
Exactly! But the key to it all is knowing the sizes you are in different brand. Brands usually base there sizes on there target customer as they should. The government tried to come up with standard sizing but its extremely hard to do because people are built different. So I felt like people just need the tool.

lordchriscole

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 16, 2021
I imagine this working on the 'getting users and being useful' side of things, but I imagine you trying to get in touch with levi's or some large brand and them basically ignoring you. Large brands will likely not give you the time of day. They have systems and layers of corporate bullshit that make it so much harder than it needs to be to start "partnerships" with brands unless they already have something in place. They have affiliate programs but you may find it difficult to link your app to their affiliate program.

I like this idea. I could imagine it being talked about by some teenage girl on her tik tok page "I love to use the 'One syze' app because women's clothing sizes are a total joke and this helps me buy the right size the first time"

But, how is this any different from size charter? SizeCharter: Find your size and the brands that fit you best
great question! The idea actually stemmed form size charter. I actually tried reaching out to them to see if they would be willing to sell the site. but no reply. As far as getting big brands to work with me I feel like if I have a lot of users they can't ignore me to long.

lordchriscole

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 16, 2021

Size charter is a great concept but it acts as a online calculator and you cant save your information or take it on the go as you shop without going to the website and there are obviously some cosmetic stuff. but it does do the job. I just feel the job can be done more efficiently.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
what do you like?
Being a senior citizen woman, I'm now a retired professional RE investor. I used to wear power dresses and suits when I was working. I had a huge closet with all the matching accessories and shoes. I bought my shoes in Beverly Hills and my designer bags from Nordstroms. Now, people underestimate me all the time. And I like that way. My husband teases me that we look like Ma and Pa Kettle. We just laugh about it. No one needs to know too much about us. And it helps me to fit in here in rural Alaska.

Now, I wear men's overalls year around -- Dickie's. -- that I order on-line from their company. I have my phone, my card holder with my ID and my credit cards, my pens, my note pad, my pocket knife and my money all in my pockets. I don't have to carry a purse to have everything I need. In the summers, I wear a T-shirt under my overalls and my men's Keene's sandals. I buy a few T-shirts when they go on sale and I order the Keene sandals on-line. In the winter, I wear Columbia sweaters and my long underwear under my overalls, and my winter boots. I love those sweaters because I throw them in the washer and the dryer and they come out without a hassle. They last for years and I buy them at the after Christmas sales.

I don't own anything that needs special care. If something even gives me pause to think, I give it away or throw it away. I'm like that for everything. I don't buy anything for my house that needs to dusted or polished either. I'm down to a very simple lifestyle.

I'm an excellent seamstress. And I have a high end sewing machine. If I want something, I can cut the pattern and make it in no time flat. But, I do very little sewing these days. There's just very little that I need.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
great question! The idea actually stemmed form size charter. I actually tried reaching out to them to see if they would be willing to sell the site. but no reply. As far as getting big brands to work with me I feel like if I have a lot of users they can't ignore me to long.
I'm a graduate of Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising ... size generally depends on the fitting model. And it can vary within the same line of clothing -- depending on the fitting model they use to cut that line... It's sure not an exact science.

A lot of the stuff coming from Asia doesn't fit the American body because Asian models don't have hips and breasts like us. And their proportions are different in almost every way.
Example: I can't wear most women's boots because my calves are too big to get into them. I guess most of their models don't backpack like we did when we were younger...

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I agree with this. Taking it a step further, once I find a brand and style of shirt I like and fits well, I will go out and buy the exact same brand and size in bulk (like 6 in one shot) and repeatedly over time. I do the same with jeans.

And from that experience I can tell you that even the same manufacturers don't keep their own sizing consistent. Maybe it's close, but its not consistent. I often send back 1/3 of what I buy.

As a result, I think you should pass in this idea. It is a need, I would definitely use it, but I don't believe you can honestly fulfill the service you are promising. It won't be your fault, but the user will blame you because you made the promise.

Worst case, you can tweak the offer and still provide some value. But once I know which brands to buy, why would I keep coming back to the app? Maybe I'm not the target demographic after all...

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I agree with this. Taking it a step further, once I find a brand and style of shirt I like and fits well, I will go out and buy the exact same brand and size in bulk (like 6 in one shot) and repeatedly over time. I do the same with jeans.

And from that experience I can tell you that even the same manufacturers don't keep their own sizing consistent. Maybe it's close, but its not consistent. I often send back 1/3 of what I buy.

As a result, I think you should pass in this idea. It is a need, I would definitely use it, but I don't believe you can honestly fulfill the service you are promising. It won't be your fault, but the user will blame you because you made the promise.

Worst case, you can tweak the offer and still provide some value. But once I know which brands to buy, why would I keep coming back to the app? Maybe I'm not the target demographic after all...
I do the same. I buy a whole stack if that item fits right. And I don't expect the next order to be the same. They have changed fitting models or have another person on their cutting table. Also, at times, someone get a wild hair. They figure they'll have less fabric waste if they shave off just pinch here and there to be able to cut more pieces out of the same yardage.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
As you grow older you’re going to realize people buy mostly from brands they know & like.
There’s no need for me
to even try a H&M white T Shirt when I’ve been buying my white tshirts from the same brand for the past 10 years.

Once you find a brand that does jeans that fit you like a glove, you’ll buy from them most of the times.
There’s no reason to “try” other brands.

Also, if I order something online and I want to return it, the brand makes it easy to return it. I just drop it at the post office. I know returns take time and I don’t need that money straight away.

Like I said, these sort of problems usually happen early on in life, until you find what you need.

Also, anybody can compile a list of sizes from different brands and present them.
Brands like Zara, for example, don’t give exact measurements for each product.
Also, their products come and go through the year.

Unless you buy each product, how will you get the measurements in the beginning?

Last edited:

lordchriscole

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 16, 2021
Being a senior citizen woman, I'm now a retired professional RE investor. I used to wear power dresses and suits when I was working. I had a huge closet with all the matching accessories and shoes. I bought my shoes in Beverly Hills and my designer bags from Nordstroms. Now, people underestimate me all the time. And I like that way. My husband teases me that we look like Ma and Pa Kettle. We just laugh about it. No one needs to know too much about us. And it helps me to fit in here in rural Alaska.

Now, I wear men's overalls year around -- Dickie's. -- that I order on-line from their company. I have my phone, my card holder with my ID and my credit cards, my pens, my note pad, my pocket knife and my money all in my pockets. I don't have to carry a purse to have everything I need. In the summers, I wear a T-shirt under my overalls and my men's Keene's sandals. I buy a few T-shirts when they go on sale and I order the Keene sandals on-line. In the winter, I wear Columbia sweaters and my long underwear under my overalls, and my winter boots. I love those sweaters because I throw them in the washer and the dryer and they come out without a hassle. They last for years and I buy them at the after Christmas sales.

I don't own anything that needs special care. If something even gives me pause to think, I give it away or throw it away. I'm like that for everything. I don't buy anything for my house that needs to dusted or polished either. I'm down to a very simple lifestyle.

I'm an excellent seamstress. And I have a high end sewing machine. If I want something, I can cut the pattern and make it in no time flat. But, I do very little sewing these days. There's just very little that I need.
wow thanks so much for sharing that with me.

Very true! Good point. I feel that the sizing portion of the service is something that could run its course but peoples body change and once the service isn't used as much anymore then you can start add other services that can bring more value and marry the other services. Don't you think? to be honest men don't shop as much as women do and women have way more options out there then men.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Very true! Good point. I feel that the sizing portion of the service is something that could run its course but peoples body change and once the service isn't used as much anymore then you can start add other services that can bring more value and marry the other services. Don't you think? to be honest men don't shop as much as women do and women have way more options out there then men.
I agree with your points. And yes, there probably should be a service like this in existence already. But in this case, I think there is a reason why it hasn't been done. I think the logistics of this idea are overwhelming.

@Kak always says to get bigger $ you've got to solve big probloms. But I don't know if this one is actually "solveable" without standardizing disparate manaufacturing centers that have no incentive to work together to create a standard. This is an industry that tries to be different (well, mostly). And any standard you create will be hated on by people as "body shaming"...

lordchriscole

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 16, 2021
I do the same. I buy a whole stack if that item fits right. And I don't expect the next order to be the same. They have changed fitting models or have another person on their cutting table. Also, at times, someone get a wild hair. They figure they'll have less fabric waste if they shave off just pinch here and there to be able to cut more pieces out of the same yardage.
As you grow older you’re going to realize people buy mostly from brands they know & like.
There’s no need for me
to even try a H&M white T Shirt when I’ve been buying my white tshirts from the same brand for the past 10 years.

Once you find a brand that does jeans that fit you like a glove, you’ll buy from them most of the times.
There’s no reason to “try” other brands.

Also, if I order something online and I want to return it, the brand makes it easy to return it. I just drop it at the post office. I know returns take time and I don’t need that money straight away.

Like I said, these sort of problems usually happen early on in life, until you find what you need.

Also, anybody can compile a list of sizes from different brands and present them.
Brands like Zara, for example, don’t give exact measurements for each product.
Also, their products come and go through the year.

Unless you buy each product, how will you get the measurements in the beginning?
Right. Well I already have size charts from 50 or 60 popular brands. but other then that it would be a matter of working with brands cause in the process of manufacturing you have to do grading which most brand start from med and grade to small and to extra large to come up with the size chart. I cant see why brands wouldn't want to give size chart information especially if it means it will minimize returns and bring more customers to the door that maybe wouldn't otherwise because people don't know. what if the brands you usually shop decide to change sizes because there are trying to go for anther demographic? Covid has forced brands to ramp up online ,close stores and close fitting rooms. so what if you like something and want to see if it fits but you have to buy it first before you can try it?

lordchriscole

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 16, 2021
I agree with your points. And yes, there probably should be a service like this in existence already. But in this case, I think there is a reason why it hasn't been done. I think the logistics of this idea are overwhelming.

@Kak always says to get bigger $ you've got to solve big probloms. But I don't know if this one is actually "solveable" without standardizing disparate manaufacturing centers that have no incentive to work together to create a standard. This is an industry that tries to be different (well, mostly). And any standard you create will be hated on by people as "body shaming"...
Right. but clothing has never been about sizing its about fit and in my opinion to know fit you must know your own size data and then choose the brand and clothing that fits your body. the government tried to do standardize sizing in the 40s and then again in the 60s. but everyone bodies are different. my question is yeah maybe its a nightmare to figure out how to solve the problem. But what if I solve it? I mean we put a man on the moon in 1969.

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
I think the future lies in tailor-made clothing. I ordered some t-shits from Son of a Tailor (not a plug), and absolutely love it. Finally something that I can order online, an algorithm measures everything and fits me perfectly. Now they have my loyalty.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.